• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

AdawgDaFAB said:
Love that stage ^__^. It can be pretty crazy the first time you play it, especially with slower moving characters. Once you learn the pattern of the "seal" appearances and where all the slingshot shortcuts are it gets easier.
Its certainly a complex stage which needs more than just mashing the square button to beat it.

Had this on the last page, moved it here so more people can see it:

I have linked to this before, but I finally finished compiling all the route data into my guide. I have all the possible route paths filled out and all stages that unlock bodyguards properly highlighted.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoKruCqo-JXNdHVYQzZUcXc0blJRSzM2WlMybHFweEE&hl=en#gid=8 ^__^

Lostconfused said:
Its certainly a complex stage which needs more than just mashing the square button to beat it.

That is the reason I like it so much. Makes you think about the way you approach the stage.

Urban Scholar said:
Bravo, AdawgDaFAB I appreciate it.

No problem. Made it as a self-reference guide while playing a few months ago and finally finished it up the route stuff last night. Figured, I might as well post it and let others use it as well. Plus, I got a ton of friends into SB over the summer leading up to this game's release, so I also wanted to help ease them into it as well :D . Glad to see it is useful to you too.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Thanks for the precious infos AdawgDaFAB, I finished the game last night with Kotaro Fuuma (my new fav character) and I'm already doing his blue alt. route to unlock Hanzo :D

Man, this game is HUGE, 18 hours and still 9% :°

Valcryst said:
Thanks for the precious infos AdawgDaFAB, I finished the game last night with Kotaro Fuuma (my new fav character) and I'm already doing his blue alt. route to unlock Hanzo :D

Man, this game is HUGE, 18 hours and still 9% :°

Always glad to hear things like this. The more people that get to enjoy BASARA and purchase SB:SH the better the chances Capcom will continue to bring the games stateside (as well as add things like online co-op / versus and dual audio), ^__^.

Valcryst

Neo Member
I really hope so, I'm a SB fan from the first, and raped here in Europe, PS2 installment, and since 2nd and Heroes never made it here I was really looking forward to this SB:SH!
Capcom really made a good job with this one, they were truly inspired and included even bigger bosses, other than generals...have you noticed how much the
iron horse in the final battle (against Mitsunari) looks like Geryon
from DMC3? :D

Best H&S game so far, and if Capcom will release online co-op, versus, dual audio and Characters it would be even better!

Too early to speak about our favorite stages? Honestly I think Osaka summit or whichever version there is my favorite. The theme music, the stage layout, the sense of constant battle, the giant freaking sanada battleship ever present. Good s@#$.

Does the game have an OST for purchase?

Takuan

Valcryst said:
Best H&S game so far, and if Capcom will release online co-op, versus, dual audio and Characters it would be even better!
Really should've had this from the beginning if they wanted it to move decent numbers and push the Samurai Heroes franchise in North America. In its current form, it's only going to sell to loyal fans. It's a little half-assed, but I guess the expectation is for fans to be happy that they're getting the game at all.

From a rational perspective, though, it doesn't make much sense to put the resources toward a Wii port. I'd really like to see a Basara 4 developed for PS360, that'd be hot hot hot.

Erigu

Urban Scholar said:
Does the game have an OST for purchase?
Yup.

Takuan said:
From a rational perspective, though, it doesn't make much sense to put the resources toward a Wii port.
It probably did back when development began, but then it became obvious the Wii was losing momentum to the PlayStation 3 (in Japan, I mean), so we got this weird multi-platform release...

lupin23rd

Lots of typos in the game :lol

And does Hirotsuna Utsunomiya really say "For the win!" as an ally?

Also amused that a lot of the levels are basically:
a) I want this guy to join me, I'm going to decimate his army and beat the shit out of him, then he'll join me, or
b) I want to join that guy, so I'll go decimate his army and beat the shit out of him to show him what I can do.

But loving it so far.

Kato Kiyomasa better be in the Heroes version!

Xater

My game is still not here so I tried out the Fist of the Northstar Demo. Yeah...SB3 is way better judging by both demos.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Koei Mosou/Warriors games have only one problem, they're a bit clunky compared to their Capcom counterpart.
SB is more frenzy action-packed, has one of the most stylish (it's capcom after all!) and crazy character rooster (teens, emos, gender benders, mechs...) ever and is a bit more "bright and colorful"!
SW is fun to play because stages actually require a bit more strategy to be completed, and the overall design is stylish too, but more "classic".
Don't get me wrong, I love it too, I finished every Dynasty Warriors from 4 to 6 and every Samurai Warriors (including Empires and other expansions) and I'm looking forward to SW3 to be ported to PS3, since now we have Move!
But Sengoku Basara is just more fun to play to me!

Lostconfused said:
Really I am surprised just how depressing they made this whole Mitsunari VS Ieyasu story.

Really? You mean on both ends of the spectrum?

With in the melodrama of the game you do have two former allies/friends going at it. Ishida was clearly evil & nuts prior o Hideyoshi's death. What I find funny is how Ieyasu gets a free pass from everyone for killing Hideyoshi with no beef except for Ishida. I prefer the rivalry story of Yukimara vs Ieyasu personally.

I like to take a moment and applaud the voice work of Mistunari Ishida. Troy Baker makes you can feel the anger.

Xater said:
Got the game and just played the first battle with Date. So good. :D

*fist bump*

Shanks

AdawgDaFAB said:
No problem. Made it as a self-reference guide while playing a few months ago and finally finished it up the route stuff last night. Figured, I might as well post it and let others use it as well. Plus, I got a ton of friends into SB over the summer leading up to this game's release, so I also wanted to help ease them into it as well :D . Glad to see it is useful to you too.

I'm not quite seeing bodyguard locations? Did you say you had those on there?

Valcryst said:
...action-packed, has one of the most stylish (it's capcom after all!) and crazy character rooster (teens, emos, gender benders, mechs...) ever and is a bit more "bright and colorful"! SW is fun to play because...

I wish this would become a meme of sorts...

Valcryst

Neo Member
Ops, my bad :D

Damn fugitives, I can't defeat them with a Lv. 1 Character in his/her first stage, they keep blocking every attack and then disappear :\
Any tips? Or It's better to kill them on the 2nd run?

Valcryst said:
Ops, my bad :D

Damn fugitives, I can't defeat them with a Lv. 1 Character in his/her first stage, they keep blocking every attack and then disappear :\
Any tips? Or It's better to kill them on the 2nd run?

Using Sengoku Boost/Hero Time or a BASARA attack on them usually works well. If those doesn't do the trick then try parrying them and attacking while they are stunned. I've played SB3 Wii, SB3 PS3, and now SB:SH PS3 and my pattern is once I get Hanzo I usually just toss a "Start w/ BASARA gauge full" item on and go hunting on Easy difficulty :lol .

Erigu

AdawgDaFAB said:
Using Sengoku Boost/Hero Time or a BASARA attack on them usually works well.
I recommend Sengoku Boost. Twice the EXP (20,0000 instead of 10,000... that's a lot).

Wait, killing someone while in Sengoku Boost / Hero Time gives you double experience? If this is true I'm shocked I never knew / noticed. I'll have to switch my hunting strat up to use the Instant Boost item vs Instant BASARA then :lol .

Edit - Just tested and indeed 10,050 exp for killing a fugitive normally and 20,100 exp for killing one in slow mo. I do believe I shall be using Hanzo from now on as I play through everyone's stories since 20,100 exp per stage x 1.5 or 2 depending on difficulty = ^____^.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Valcryst said:
Koei Mosou/Warriors games have only one problem, they're a bit clunky compared to their Capcom counterpart.
SB is more frenzy action-packed, has one of the most stylish (it's capcom after all!) and crazy character rooster (teens, emos, gender benders, mechs...) ever and is a bit more "bright and colorful"!
SW is fun to play because stages actually require a bit more strategy to be completed, and the overall design is stylish too, but more "classic".
Don't get me wrong, I love it too, I finished every Dynasty Warriors from 4 to 6 and every Samurai Warriors (including Empires and other expansions) and I'm looking forward to SW3 to be ported to PS3, since now we have Move!
But Sengoku Basara is just more fun to play to me!

How would Move make a difference, though? SW3 doesn't use motion controls at all. In fact the game itself recommends you play it with a Classic Controller/GameCube controller.

Anyway, finally picked this up yesterday. Immediately started trophy whoring. :lol Got 12% of the game's trophies in one runthrough with Masamune. Working my way through with Magoichi now. Definitely like her more than Nouhime in SB2.

Also, while most of the English voices are good, Kenshin's is awful compared to Romi Paku's awesome work in the Japanese version. Also, there's some ridiculously bad errors in the in-battle subtitles, with huge chunks of sentences missing in certain parts.

Other than that though, wonderful game.

Am...I...the only one that sings to the opening theme song? Shame it's not part of the OST, someone mind directing to where I can find more songs from the group?

I was on gamefaqs and read how someone hated playing at Ieyasu. How? The guy is going out there punching armed samurai in the face.

Just finished Yukimara's campaign, he's so passionate. Second favorite samurai in the game for myself.

Urban Scholar said:
Am...I...the only one that sings to the opening theme song? Shame it's not part of the OST, someone mind directing to where I can find more songs from the group?

I was on gamefaqs and read how someone hated playing at Ieyasu. How? The guy is going out there punching armed samurai in the face.

Just finished Yukimara's campaign, he's so passionate. Second favorite samurai in the game for myself.

I like the Japanese version of Naked Arms. To me the dub version just sounds like Nishikawa is mumbling non-understandable Engrish, lol. Overall it is a good song, but I vastly perfer Nishikawa Takanori's songs (especially BASARA ones) with abingdon boys school over his T.M.Revolution stuff like this.

Xater

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay, how the hell are you meant to win at the Dragon Race? The catch up Date and his guy have is ridiculous.

Use Basara to boost.

So far my favorite is Yukimura as well. Also the amount of time you have to put into this game to 100% it seems to be insane. :lol

I do that, but everytime I'm boosting they magically get a boost as well. Hell one time I did the stage I got to the first camp a good 3 or 4 seconds before Date and it still credited him with the win.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I do that, but everytime I'm boosting they magically get a boost as well. Hell one time I did the stage I got to the first camp a good 3 or 4 seconds before Date and it still credited him with the win.

You can dash on the horse, which is tilting the left stick, I normally save the basara boost until the end.

Xater said:
So far my favorite is Yukimura as well. Also the amount of time you have to put into this game to 100% it seems to be insane. :lol

"Even if I were to fall into the abyss, I continue fighting until I would raise up again. If my legs were to fail its then I would ask my lord for mercy".....or something

I know most people find this stuff cheesy but damned if I don't like it.

Die Squirrel Die said:

The objective with Date is to hit the drum on the vacant camp before he does. Also, to go faster do dash jumps with the horse and save your BASARA dash for the very end. Kojuro is just a matter of constantly whailing on him before the end of the race to kill him. throwing on a damage + on horseback item helps if you need it.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Is there a limit to the number of times a fugitive can boost your stats?

Every character can get a stat boost from a Fugitive only time time per stage, for a total of +600 Attack, +600 Defense, and an unquantifiable amount of + Luck (the stat is hidden so you can't keep track of it like the others) if you find all of them for a character. However, you still get 10,050 exp (or 20,100 if killed during Sengoku Boost / Hero Time) for killing them even if you already got the stat increase from that stage.

Urban Scholar said:
I need hard mode help. I seem to die...often and my Ieyasu is shy of lvl 80. Just pour on the defense only?

One or two gold defense boosts go a long way for Hard mode. Getting better at dodging and parrying of course help too.

Right now I'm challenging myself to take Keiji from lvl 1 to 100 only with Hard mode stages (should be fast with the Fugitive quick lvl up "trick", seeing as I got Date to 50+ on Normal in one playthrough).

AdawgDaFAB said:
One or two gold defense boosts go a long way for Hard mode. Getting better at dodging and parrying of course help too.

Right now I'm challenging myself to take Keiji from lvl 1 to 100 only with Hard mode stages (should be fast with the Fugitive quick lvl up "trick", seeing as I got Date to 50+ on Normal in one playthrough).

Pray tell what is this trick you speak of?

Urban Scholar said:
Pray tell what is this trick you speak of?
The one that was already mentioned. Double xp for killing some one during Hero Time. Which is a pretty big boost considering that you get a lot of xp to begin with for killing a fugitive.

Edit: Also Mitsunari is still my favorite.

Lostconfused said:
The one that was already mentioned. Double xp for killing some one during Hero Time. Which is a pretty big boost considering that you get a lot of xp to begin with for killing a fugitive.

Indeed. 20,100 exp for a fugitive killed that way. Playing on Hard that gives you 40,200 exp just for that one kill due to the 2x multiplier at the end.

Lostconfused said:

AdawgDaFAB said:
Indeed. 20,100 exp for a fugitive killed that way. Playing on Hard that gives you 40,200 exp just for that one kill due to the 2x multiplier at the end.

I knew about the double in hero time but the fugitive piece of information is even better. I think I've only beaten one fugitive, I don't really go and search for them.

matmanx1

Finally got a day off work today so I sat down and played a couple more stages with Ieyasu. I'm enjoying his "power punch" style of combat but am looking forward to getting his first ending and messing around with someone who has a different style.

It's going to be interesting when I get Ken's Rage to contrast the two games side by side. I really like the whole "Hokuto no Ken" story and the demo translated the Musou style to that world pretty well. That being said Ken's Rage is definitely not as fast, colorful or as fluid as Sengoku Basara.

psy18

Dammit! Didn't know this game requires 3.42 update.
Haven't got the chance to mess around with psfreedom since my galaxy s isn't supported yet.
Should I go for 3.42? Does this game worth losing homebrews? @_@

Top Bottom