• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Burst |OT| We Now Live In a Post Happy Boobs Wrapped World

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got started with the game and was wondering how ranks was decided. I mean, it seems like when I strip my clothes off in the beginning, I always get this purple rank thing.
How do we get these stars next to the letter grade too?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just got started with the game and was wondering how ranks was decided. I mean, it seems like when I strip my clothes off in the beginning, I always get this purple rank thing.
How do we get these stars next to the letter grade too?
A star-ranking means you beat the stage in Frantic Mode i.e you pressed L+R at the beginning. That's a separate rating since that's the only rating you get if you beat the stage in that mode.

It seems you get A ranks if you finish a mission faster, more combos, less damage, I think more Ninja Arts performed, etc.

Edit: Played as the secret character & some (secret impressions):

- Holy CRAP is she slow, in terms of attack & movement. Hell, she's slow just moving around in the main hub.
- In exchange, she's got a pretty good attack strength & health. She also has all 3 of her Ninja Art moves as well right from the beginning. Though her combos are short, so I don't know if I have to unlock those, as she's already level 30 right from the get-go
- No Transformation, she already starts with it right from the start
- FOUR meters instead of three, not sure if that goes up to 5 once she levels up, will have to see

GeekyDad

Yeah, I tinkered around a bit, and I would have to say that the ranking is based a lot more on the number of times you use ninpo, rather than the combos you get. I've tested this quite a bit, actually. I've gotten combos over 1000 without using ninpo at all and received C ranks, while other times I've use ninpo as much as possible, gotten low combos 100-200 and received A ranks.

antibolo

Banned
Sequel confirmed

hometown_story_thumb.jpg

Apparently this time it's focused mostly on buttocks, rather than boobs.

Not sure why it's published by Natsume, apparently the Senran Kagura franchise was transferred to them.

Sequel confirmed

hometown_story_thumb.jpg

Apparently this time it's focused mostly on buttocks, rather than boobs.

Not sure why it's published by Natsume, apparently the Senran Kagura franchise was transferred to them.

There must be some kind of error, is it a guy I've spotted on the cover ?

Or maybe it's a trap.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well crap, I should have finished Frantic Mode on all missions on the Hazao side, but no message appeared stating that I did nor did I receive the title....It's a pain figuring out which stages you've done on Frantic considering it only states it for that specific character (which is why I try to do it for the same character that the state requires you to play as the first time). Please don't tell me it's because I played the optional Chapter 5 missions with the secret character instead of the standard five....

Bought this on release week, been playing in frantic mode the whole time. Now the chapter 4 optional missions are murdering me. Frantic mode is terrible when there are any kind of ranged enemies around, I'm dying in like 3-4 shots from these mobs.

Well crap, I should have finished Frantic Mode on all missions on the Hazao side, but no message appeared stating that I did nor did I receive the title....It's a pain figuring out which stages you've done on Frantic considering it only states it for that specific character (which is why I try to do it for the same character that the state requires you to play as the first time). Please don't tell me it's because I played the optional Chapter 5 missions with the secret character instead of the standard five....

Did you
beat the mission to unlock the secret character on frantic? You can't do that mission with the unlocked character. It doesn't appear on the Chapter 5 mission list if you play as her. That's the last one I was missing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did you
beat the mission to unlock the secret character on frantic? You can't do that mission with the unlocked character. It doesn't appear on the Chapter 5 mission list if you play as her. That's the last one I was missing.
Does it count if
I did it for 4 characters, but one just got the standard ranking, or do ALL 5 characters have to beat her on Frantic?

Edit: Nintendo Life review is up,
8/10

nmanma

Finally beat all the Hebijo missions in Frantic. The rewards were the same as in the Hanzo part but the pictures weren't as interesting.

Hebijo's last mission is crazy, you have to beat Hanzo's strongest character along with a bunch of upgraded versions of the hardest enemies in the game (
the ninja robots
). Everyone hits hard, takes a lot of damage to take down and is aggresive as hell

Bought this on release week, been playing in frantic mode the whole time. Now the chapter 4 optional missions are murdering me. Frantic mode is terrible when there are any kind of ranged enemies around, I'm dying in like 3-4 shots from these mobs.

Dash like crazy until you can find an opening to attack and focus your supers on killing ranged enemies. For later stages I have no idea, just gave up and unlocked the hidden character

So I've gotten pretty far into the Skirting Shadows story and so far my favorite character to play as is Ikaruga, and surprisingly my second favorite to play as of the Hanzo girls is Hibari. Yagyu is my least favorite so far, she just feels off to me. I haven't gotten around to playing with the Hebijo girls yet, so I don't have an opinion on them yet.

Chrom

Only played the Hanzo side so far but I'd say Ikaruga and Katsuragi are my favorite characters to play as.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Only played the Hanzo side so far but I'd say Ikaruga and Katsuragi are my favorite characters to play as.

I noticed that those characters pop up a lot in the favorites list.

My question is this, does anyone like Hibari over the eest of the Hanzo Schoolgirl cast?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think I should finally start with the other group of girls since I now got all A-ranks on mission for Hanzo. I'll take a break from them and leveling them up & actually experience the Hebijo story (not to mention unlock more outfits).

I'd still say Ikaruga and Yagyu are my favorite for Hanzo, now along with Yomi (slamming down that great sword) and Hikage (speedy knife work) for Hebijo. And I just realized these four are relatively more sedate in attitude and speech than the others.

GeekyDad

Love Kat except for the voice. Sounds like a young dude...or an old woman. Weird choice of voice actresses (actor?).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Love Kat except for the voice. Sounds like a young dude...or an old woman. Weird choice of voice actresses (actor?).
It weirded me out when she had a depressed/serious moment, as it sounded like a different person.

Also, I could have sworn that when you unlock the ability to
use the circle pad during a character's clothing destruction to rotate the girl, you had unlimited time, but it only lasts a few seconds like usual.

Maxing out Asuka's Yin while doing some of the later missions is harder than it should be. Getting hit by crossbow bolts is one thing, but getting out-ranged in melee and interrupted during YYYYY-spam is downright infuriating. Can't rely on movement during attacks to keep enemies off my back either so now I have to be aware of my surroundings and be extra careful when enemies spawn from the rear. I didn't have to do this crap with Katsuragi!

/complaining_about_having_to_use_skill

Her voice may be deeper than the others, though I thought that made her more of a tomboy than a guy. :p

Also, actress.

Chrom

Going back to complete all the early missions with Frantic is pretty amusing considering how challenging I thought they were at first. I'm just plowing through everything with ease in mere seconds but it's still pretty satisfying.

Argh, I'm guessing lvl 21-22 is way too low for Hanzo chapter 5-08? I'm getting killed so badly here, Ikaruga is the only one who can destroy this shit consistently.

Also, going frantic on this one since that life bar is ridiculous lol.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ugggg finally hit some levels that I can't beat in Bikini mode in Chapter 3.
Also, I hate Hibari's fighting style; she usually gets me a B rank at the moment.

Considering buying despite it being digital only. How long is the main campaign for this game?

Just to give you an answer, I'm about halfway through the first school with around 7 hours of game time. So when I "finish" the game by playing through each mission with at least two characters I can see about 30 hours in total being pretty reasonable.
If I wanted to be a completionist and do every mission with every character and attain all the highest ranks and titles and unlock all the extras it could last a lot longer.

Someone else could give you a more exact answer, though, probably.

ohlawd

My question is this, does anyone like Hibari over the eest of the Hanzo Schoolgirl cast?

Hibari and Yomi are my favorite girls in the game, gameplay-wise, character-wise, whatever-wise.

Here are my rankings, please don't lynch me
I'm getting lynched, aren't I?
Split it between schools since 10 girls is too much. Not gonna include those characters

Hanzo: Hibari > Asuka > Ikaruga > Katsuragi > Yagyuu
Hebijo: Yomi > Hikage > Haruka > Mirai > Homerun

wow how can you casually diss Yuu Kobayashi like that? >_<

She's easily my least favorite. Don't really care for her moveset too much, but her jumping strong where she throws those projectiles is really good.

For the Hanzo side my order of preference is: Katsuragi > Ikaruga > Asuka > Yagyu > Hibari
Hebijo: Yomi > Hikage > Haruka > Homura > Mirai

I finished up the second half the other day and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before but I was really surprised by the story for the game in general. It's nothing amazing but it's a lot better than I expected and I got pretty into the story and characters. Definitely looking forward to playing Shinovi Versus if it gets localized!

GeekyDad

Hibari is the worst character in the game.

*drops mic*

Ha, ha!

She actually has some pretty flashy extended combos, but her defense is so completely shitty.

Yagyu is really starting to grow on me, though. Her super ninpo is awesome, and I like how her attacks connect -- very fluid. A good balance of speed, distance, and defense.

It's pretty fun so far. The low fps can get annoying sometimes but I'm getting used to it.

When do you get the Super Hidden Ninpo? I know you get the aerial one at level 15 but I'm not sure how to get the last ones.

Hibari is really terrible lol...most of the time when I'm dying in frantic is because I'm using Hibari. It's almost as if they tried to find a way to redeem her and then said "fuck it, let's just power up the mid-air X attack so it murders everything in a couple shots."

Hibari is really terrible lol...most of the time when I'm dying in frantic is because I'm using Hibari. It's almost as if they tried to find a way to redeem her and then said "fuck it, let's just power up the mid-air X attack so it murders everything in a couple shots."

then you get destroyed in the extra frames after the attack where you can't do shit

Pimpbaa

I like all the characters in the game except for Mirai, but at least she plays ok and has a pretty humorous ninpo attack. I absolutly hate how Hibari and Haruka play. Especially Haruka, she is just so slow and her first ninpo attack is so goddamn useless (haven't got the 2nd yet). Which is a shame because she has the best body and bikini.

story mission ch4

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I progress.

I've been using Hibari for a while and I find her X-X( or X jump X A for safety) in mid air is pretty useful and does a lot of damage. I just got her aerial ninpo and it hits full screen so I'll definitely be using that a lot.

And what's with the random eagle/bird thing as the game icon in the system menu?

GeekyDad

I tell ya, there's definitely no shortage of content here for $30. Only real complaint (as I haven't experienced any of the slowdown issues others have mentioned) is that the e-manual is really sparse. No description of stats or any of that.

Chrom

I tell ya, there's definitely no shortage of content here for $30. Only real complaint (as I haven't experienced any of the slowdown issues others have mentioned) is that the e-manual is really sparse. No description of stats or any of that.

Agreed. I feel like the manual could've had a lot more useful information.

Top Bottom