• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Burst |OT| We Now Live In a Post Happy Boobs Wrapped World

Astarte

This is going to sound dumb, but I keep unlocking new moves but can't figure out whet I'm supposed to check to learn how to execute them

Any help?

Alrighty, well first there are three hidden ninpos. One you have by default, one you can execute in the air, and another you unlock later on (but I'm guessing you already know this at which point I'm patronizing you)

The new unlockable moves that you got basically extend the combo tree you already have; this allows you to mash Y and X even harder to do SICK TRICKS. Next time you're at a stage, try going to the movelist (tech) menu (which should be at the top right of the touch screen when you're in a mission).

no way hahah some of the final stages in Hebijo ch5 and the last one in ch4 even in Flash mode are nightmare inducing. I don't really like using Limit Break so when I get stun locked by the range users I just despair.

Umm, use Limit Break. I also use specials most of the time as get out of jail free cards.

Yeah asuka L+Y on frantic will clear the room( im assuming Hebijo girls have similar specials, could be wrong), plus corner carrying defeated enemies in aerial combos usually builds enough meter to rinse and repeat, so it gets trivial. Also if you can manage it the invul on dash makes ranged enemies irrelevant, just get the timing right.

ohlawd

Umm, use Limit Break. I also use specials most of the time as get out of jail free cards.
I do when I remember. When you got like 20 of those crossbow maids ganged up on you, I'm fucked the second I'm done using it cuz some chick like 30 feet away is still firing at me then she stuns me and everyone else is back on their feet and they start firing at me again and everything goes to hell look man what do you want from me? I use specials too when they're all bunched up together but it's totally weaksauce on the ones with high hp and I'm not even counting the mokujins and the robots and the BBWs.

Astarte

Also fuck Daidouji. So many retries because one mess up was enough to take out my "everyone is level 15 except Asuka and Tekken"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do when I remember. When you got like 20 of those crossbow maids ganged up on you, I'm fucked the second I'm done using it cuz some chick like 30 feet away is still firing at me then she stuns me and everyone else is back on their feet and they start firing at me again and everything goes to hell look man what do you want from me? I use specials too when they're all bunched up together but it's totally weaksauce on the ones with high hp and I'm not even counting the mokujins and the robots and the BBWs.

Luckily on Frantic you can only take 1 charged crossbow shot or 4-5 regular ones!

I know aaaallllll about the crossbow users and Frantic. One of these days I'll succeed in getting it done with Yomi and Hibari.

Oh man why? if your having trouble ikaruga is really easy to use on frantic, insane range means like 5+ enemies held up on your air juggle, Does hibari get anything cool past lv20? I stopped using her.

Astarte

Oh man why? if your having trouble ikaruga is really easy to use on frantic, insane range means like 5+ enemies held up on your air juggle, Does hibari get anything cool past lv20? I stopped using her.

Hibari's redonkulous shurikens get even more hilariously broken
Other than that, nope. Never really used her except for when I was forced to.

ohlawd

Hibari and Yomi are my waifus so it makes sense for me to use them to 100% Hanzo/Hebijo :p

Hibari's jumping strong attack is evil. Does too much damage. Her bakabakabakabaka (ground, X forever) attack is amazing too.

Hibari and Haruka are great personalities but damn do I hate using them, especially in frantic. I'm so glad they changed Haruka around in SV. Her new moveset there looks fun.

Speaking of frustraing characters:
Crimson Homura
's L+Y blows hardcore for boss battles. I did 5-6 with her at too low a level to have any other supers. Yet, I was still trying to beat all the boses with supers my first go round for that one title. I missed so many times,
screwing the whole plan up during the gauntlet.

Touch the "Tech" box while doing a mission. It'll show that your combo list has expanded after transforming. You can also execute a L+Y in the air or an L+X that costs 2 bars once you reach high enough levels.

Alrighty, well first there are three hidden ninpos. One you have by default, one you can execute in the air, and another you unlock later on (but I'm guessing you already know this at which point I'm patronizing you)

The new unlockable moves that you got basically extend the combo tree you already have; this allows you to mash Y and X even harder to do SICK TRICKS. Next time you're at a stage, try going to the movelist (tech) menu (which should be at the top right of the touch screen when you're in a mission).
Thanks, guys.
This is ridiculous, but I noticed the tech tab but never thought to look at it for some reason. Figured there would be some other place to check. I did know about the air special, guess I missed the L + X

Shinta

Banned
I'm still on Chapter 1, but if this is really all the gameplay has to offer ... I don't know how this scored above a 5/10 anywhere.

I am pretty early on though, so I hope it gets better. But so far it's basically just spam one button to attack, lift them in the air, spam attack again, then end with a strong hit. Your super meter fills up super fast. Nothing even hits me.

I've played about 10 levels, and I'm already very bored. And they want you to replay each level with each character, and then again in Frantic mode which is even easier. And the 3D effect looks a little unstable at times.

Does the combat actually get better? I don't think I'm asking too much to hope that a beat em up has at least as much combat depth as Streets of Rage 2, a 20 year old game ... but so few live up to even that standard.

mugwhump

Game's a lot more fun than I expected, I'm really enjoying it.

So far I'm finding the biggest challenge to be knowing when to stop comboing a group of enemies since they're all dead, haha.

Also, how am I supposed to know when I've beaten a level with another character on frantic? If I beat it on normal I can tell, since the grade will show up on the top screen, but I can't tell what I've beaten on frantic! So chapter 1 says "Done" for me, but chapter 2 doesn't and I dunno which level I need to do.

Am I supposed to beat every level on normal as well as frantic or something?

Chapter four and five aren't getting done on Frantic. I can't seem to invincible enough, and there's no way in hell to dodge all the crap they throw at you.

Also, how am I supposed to know when I've beaten a level with another character on frantic? If I beat it on normal I can tell, since the grade will show up on the top screen, but I can't tell what I've beaten on frantic! So chapter 1 says "Done" for me, but chapter 2 doesn't and I dunno which level I need to do.

Am I supposed to beat every level on normal as well as frantic or something?

This is annoying, but I think you'll just have to remember since Frantic wins only display if you've selected the character that got the win.

More reviews? Nice. Game could certainly use the coverage.

Speaking of reviews, I don't suppose y'all have already rated the game on eShop?

I'm still on Chapter 1, but if this is really all the gameplay has to offer ... I don't know how this scored above a 5/10 anywhere.

I am pretty early on though, so I hope it gets better. But so far it's basically just spam one button to attack, lift them in the air, spam attack again, then end with a strong hit. Your super meter fills up super fast. Nothing even hits me.

I've played about 10 levels, and I'm already very bored. And they want you to replay each level with each character, and then again in Frantic mode which is even easier. And the 3D effect looks a little unstable at times.

Does the combat actually get better? I don't think I'm asking too much to hope that a beat em up has at least as much combat depth as Streets of Rage 2, a 20 year old game ... but so few live up to even that standard.

I think everyone here can attest to how easy Frantic is -not- later on in the game. :p

Anyways, Chapter 1's a drag story-wise as it's mostly character intros. It's also, well, the intro, so missions will be understandably easy. If you're getting A-ranks effortlessly or don't care about ranks at all, you won't be having much fun finishing the chapter, maybe even the rest of the game.

If you do care about ranks though, later chapters introduce tougher, more varied enemies in larger groups. While they probably won't be killing you unless you're in Frantic Mode, they'll be just enough of a threat to make beating them up satisfying (at least for me) and enough of a threat to deny you an A-rank if you aren't careful. Certainly cost me a few, especially with characters I don't normally use (i.e. everyone that isn't Katsuragi). Story also gets MUCH better, so that's a plus.

Chapter four and five aren't getting done on Frantic. I can't seem to invincible enough, and there's no way in hell to dodge all the crap they throw at you.

Can't say about Chapter Five as I've not Frantic'd it yet, but Chapter Four's definitely possible. Stick to the sides if you can and do full-on runs. You can quickly scout an area for crossbow users that way then move in to unload a Ninja Art. No invincibility when running, but enemies generally don't attack until you're close enough and by the time they do attack, you'll have run past them.

so what does it mean when you occasionally get the message ' new flash thing unlocked check your tech list' ?

It means check your tech list. :p

----

Combos will slowly expand as you level up. Will differ slightly depending on which mode you're in. Checking your tech list (top-right corner of the touchscreen during missions) will save you a bit of experimentation.

So far I'm finding the biggest challenge to be knowing when to stop comboing a group of enemies since they're all dead, haha.

Helps to check the enemy health bar (top screen top-right corner). :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, I COMPLETELY forgot you could rate games on the eShop similar to that one channel on the Wii. Also, post-play survey on Club Nintendo should be out if you downloaded it last week.

How long has Burst been in the "Best Sellers" section of the eshop? I don't know what it takes for something to be considered a "best seller" on the NA eshop but, yay! :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yep, it's there. 40 coins.
That's the initial survey you get for downloading. A week later, a post-play survey appears for 10 coins, so 50 coins total from downloading this.

In any case, nice to see it be on the "Best Sellers" section. Hopefully, it's met or surpassed Xseed's expectations.

In any case, nice to see it be on the "Best Sellers" section. Hopefully, it's met or surpassed Xseed's expectations.
Obviously I'm not expecting something immediately, but do they ever publish their eshop sales numbers / comment on if a title met / surpassed expectations?

ohlawd

That's the initial survey you get for downloading. A week later, a post-play survey appears for 10 coins, so 50 coins total from downloading this.

probably did sooooooo surprise!!, there was no reason to be worried about Shinovi Versus anyway! You mean to tell me people worried for nothing? Oh say it isn't so.

If BF and CM are good to me, I can get a Vita for cheap.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe they'll wait & see how EU does, especially since that's getting a retail release before saying how well the game did.

If I can finish some college stuff over the weekend, I should see if I can do Chapter 5 for Hazao and then complete those on Frantic. Now that I think about it, do the extra characters allow for different outfits/accessories & have their own special missions?

Edit: Xseed just tweeted this:

Senran Kagura Burst is #1 on the 3DS eShop best-sellers list! Goooooooo Senran Kagura!! pic.twitter.com/09O2rQIOV4
BZsVtl3CMAAUetF.jpg:large

XSEED did a fantastic localization job here, so its great to see them be rewarded with good sales figures. I know I've sold a few friends on it after I played some and started talking about how much I enjoyed it.

*High fives everyone in the thread*

It's cool that the game's doing well.

I finally finished all of Chapter 4's missions on Frantic. The last one, Infinite Blades, was holding me up. I was able to abuse the level up healing with a low level Katsuragi. Being low level, she doesn't have that three-hits-and-you're-dead Yin mode, but takes forever to kill. Went through four level ups, plus the two health items in the stage . . .

Whatever you get for doing all the missions in Frantic probably isn't worth the effort I'm putting in . . .

E: This game is that cheap stuff. "Oh, you're not using a ninja art as soon as the screen transitions to the next area? Enjoy hitting Retry!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The last one, Infinite Blades, was holding me up. I was able to abuse the level up healing with a low level Katsuragi. Being low level, she doesn't have that three-hits-and-you're-dead Yin mode, but takes forever to kill. Went through four level ups, plus the two health items in the stage . . .
Yeah, that stage is the last one I need to do. It sucks because I was SO close with Asuka where I had 10 enemies left then all of a sudden, I got damaged & died. Is it just me, or does the game only show you that you got damaged when it's a ranged attack that causes you to go into the air, making it so you can't move & continue taking damage from other enemies?

I beat the Hanzo side and
the final battle was.... different to say the least.

Also
Hibari in Haruka's outfit and Ikaruga in Yomi's outfit are just <3.

Now to beat all the levels on frantic. :D
:'(

Three missions left to Frantic (5-1, 5-8, 5-14). I can do this.

Heeeey, why's Katsuragi the only one not in her default shinobi outfit? :x
Edit: Out of curiosity, how many ratings did AA5 get in the US? In Canada, AA5 has 344 ratings to SKB's 46.

Yeah, that stage is the last one I need to do. It sucks because I was SO close with Asuka where I had 10 enemies left then all of a sudden, I got damaged & died. Is it just me, or does the game only show you that you got damaged when it's a ranged attack that causes you to go into the air, making it so you can't move & continue taking damage from other enemies?

Same stage, one enemy, one goddamn enemy left, and I lost. orz

And yeah, from my experience, non-shuriken ranged hits are guaranteed to cause hit-stun. Others you can shrug off one or two if you're attacking.

Hibari in Haruka's outfit

Nope'd so hard when I tried that and color changes don't make it any better. lol

Good luck with Frantic!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Edit: Out of curiosity, how many ratings did AA5 get in the US? In Canada, AA5 has 344 ratings to SKB's 46.
Just checked, SKB has 339, 5 star average, while AA5 has 1,641, also 5 star average.

Also, they're higher placed than Pokemon X/Y. SKB more popular than Pokemon confirmed?!

nmanma

It took a while but I finally beat all Hanzo missions in frantic mode. Goddamn that was hard/fun, I was doing fine until I reached the mission 4 optional missions. At the end I cheated and cleared the hardest missions with
Daidouji
and even then they were hard as nails.

The rewards were nice but not what I expected, the first one was obviously the Achievement on the library and the other
was pictures for the gallery.
What if Senran Kagura was a boy?
. Can't take pictures, though :(

The last mission I beat was Daidouji's fight. That one (and all the chapter 5 missions) felt like the first time I played Bayonetta on hard and finally had to really pay attention on what the enemies were doing and how my characters moved. Like Katsuragi, I had the hardest time trying to launch Daidouji quickly with her, but eventually I figured out the timing and positioning to chain her dashes with a YYX launcher.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally, cleared the final mission in Chapter 4 in Frantic. Chose Hibari, got into a corner, spammed the crap out of her strong aerial, barely took any damage until the end around 20 enemies left, & I still had the other energy item left on the other side of the stage. Now to work on Chapter 5.

Edit: This has been bugging me a bit, especially now that I can notice it again, but it seems weird that if you already shred the clothing of the boss a 2nd time before defeating them, it still plays it when you beat them with a special attack, especially when it's a character that's wearing, say, a dress, so it seems there's still clothing that should have been shredded. Maybe it's just weird to me since I'm so used to it resulting in a different animation in Shinovi Versus.

Edit 2: Hahaha, holy crap, glanced at the credits while they were rolling & noticed that Executive Producer is shown & then changed to
Righteous Boobage Producer.
So funny.

Edit 3: *sigh* So beating all stages on Frantic doesn't actually unlock
the extra character for that side
, it actually unlocks
a few images for the gallery.
Might as well finish up for Hazao since I only have about 1/2 of Chapter 5 to do, but damn if I'm less motivated to do it for the other group now.....

Edit 3: *sigh* So beating all stages on Frantic doesn't actually unlock
the extra character for that side
, it actually unlocks
a few images for the gallery.
Might as well finish up for Hazao since I only have about 1/2 of Chapter 5 to do, but damn if I'm less motivated to do it for the other group now.....

There's a mission you have to clear to unlock the sixth character that only opens after you beat that side.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a mission you have to clear to unlock the sixth character that only opens after you beat that side.
Yeah, did that not too long ago. Annoyed the hell out of me that considering it's a mission where you have to use ALL 5 characters, I died while using the last one & had to start over. I just then decided to use Frantic Mode & despite dying a few times by one-hit KOs, I finished it. & unlike in Shinovi Versus, the sixth character(s?) don't allow for changing outfits, though accessories still work.

Chrom

Is it just me or is the description for title #24 (Unparalleled Grace) incomplete in the library? It only says "Complete a boss mission without taking" for me. I imagine it's supposed to say without taking any damage or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, you have to complete a boss mission (as in, the mission has to be ONLY a boss battle) without a single piece of damage taken. If you beat it, you unlock
cat ears/tail accessory.

All missions A-ranked and Frantic'd with Katsuragi!
Thank God you don't have to do it with everyone and just have to complete missions. I don't think I have it in me. >.>

Edit: Raged so hard in the fight against Daidouji when using Hibari. Daidouji's Limit Break has extreme range and can hit my low-level Hibari in mid-air for an insta-kill and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Hibari on the ground. orz

Just checked, SKB has 339, 5 star average, while AA5 has 1,641, also 5 star average.

Also, they're higher placed than Pokemon X/Y. SKB more popular than Pokemon confirmed?!

As if ninjas could be outsold by a children's game. lol

Serious mode: Have to consider that sales are split between X and Y. Outselling one, I can believe. Both is a different story even if Pokemon's been out for at least a month. :p An accomplishment nonetheless though given Pokemon's popularity.

Raged so hard in the fight against
Daidouji
when using Hibari.
Daidouji's
Limit Break has extreme range and can hit my low-level Hibari in mid-air for an insta-kill and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Hibari on the ground. orz
Same here. That's what made me stop when I initially tried. I haven't gone back to that or the
Rin
fight yet. Gonna tackle the non-story missions first to level up.

BTW for the A and Frantic titles, does it need to all be done with one character or just done period? Ex: When doing thr story missions I always played on Frantic, except when not allowed
(Crimson Homura's mission)
. Can I just do the rest now or do they need to be with one particular character?

Same here. That's what made me stop when I initially tried. I haven't gone back to that or the
Rin

BTW for the A and Frantic titles, does it need to all be done with one character or just done period? Ex: When doing thr story missions I always played on Frantic, except when not allowed
. Can I just do the rest now or do they need to be with one particular character?

I suppose it would've been good form to make a second save before I beat the last mission so I could test this out. >.> Sorry!

nmanma

Rin

For that fight dashing is very useful. It does a negligible amount of damage but interrupts her attacks, hopefully giving you an opening to start a combo and launch her. You just have to keep an eye on her tells for her special attacks (the one where she sort of explodes and the one where she throws a punch across the screen).

If you feel like grinding a little you can also beat missions so you level up during the fight, giving you a couple of free special attacks. Happened to me by chance with Ikaruga, which was extra nice as her L+X deals almost two bars of damage

Don't know about A's, but to get the all Frantic title you just have to beat them, doesn't matter if you use different characters

Is there any way to tell, other than keeping track yourself, if you have beaten a boss fight via Ninpo or not? That title could be annoying.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is there any way to tell, other than keeping track yourself, if you have beaten a boss fight via Ninpo or not? That title could be annoying.
Not really, no. Though for the most part, I don't think it's that hard, considering how few boss stages there are, especially since some are literally just a boss fight that can take about 10-30 seconds in Frantic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What do the gold and silver keys you see next to a mission on the mission select screen mean?
Both are "key" missions, meaning you have to play them in order to continue the game. Silver are just plain cutscenes, while gold ones have the walls of text that make it seem like it turned into a VN. No key indicates that the mission is optional.

Chrom

Both are "key" missions, meaning you have to play them in order to continue the game. Silver are just plain cutscenes, while gold ones have the walls of text that make it seem like it turned into a VN. No key indicates that the mission is optional.

Ah, that makes sense. I was really wondering what difference the gold and silver keys made. Now I know what to expect.

Top Bottom