• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Why do you say that?

Hmmm? Why?
image.php

Pics_nao

I've been buying too much Senran swag lately. Please help me stop. My most recent purchase is the New Wave artbook. I can't stop it ;-;

SerTapTap

Didn't give me Ryona so I highly doubt the accuracy of this RNG based waifu selector

Finally opened the drama CDs/OST samplers, the art is pretty cute:

There's also a lewder one that opens to a close up of Murasaki/Mirai's boobs/lack thereof...will go ahead and not post that one

People are making impressive things with the EV photo mode.

Wow, impressive

Edit: I change my mind. This is okay.

Excellent.

And I actually like (I think) how she's portrayed in Estival, there's a part where she's actualy (sort of) confident without the mask which is really nice.

SerTapTap

You can get a Vita TV for like $70 easy if you've already got a controller, plays Versus just fine (and a worse version of Estival) along with other stuff. Put 20+ hours into Versus on mine.

...I keep saying Versus to refer to Shinovi even though that's no longer a unique descriptor.

Eolz

Just seen this:

pRWp8h1.jpg

It's from last wednesday, automatic twitter translation:
Huge tits hyper battle the latest story of the Showa era of upheaval and confusion on stage, burned a life in war and apparitions in Shinobi who "from turbulence Kagura ZERO-forthcoming-'!

I don't know what he's really talking about, but I'd love a more serious spinoff about the adults (including Daidoji and Rin). Would be a nice change of pace, and could also allow some darker stuff
I'm not talking about the edgy New Hebijo story in SV
What's your opinion about this?

Alfebit

Banned
Just seen this:

pRWp8h1.jpg

It's from last wednesday, automatic twitter translation:

I don't know what he's really talking about, but I'd love a more serious spinoff about the adults (including Daidoji and Rin). Would be a nice change of pace, and could also allow some darker stuff
I'm not talking about the edgy New Hebijo story in SV
What's your opinion about this?

Yo, I'd love to see a spin off of this. I don't think Daidoji and Rin could be apart of it though. Wouldn't they not even be alive at the time?

MetalDeer

Didn't give me Ryona so I highly doubt the accuracy of this RNG based waifu selector

Finally opened the drama CDs/OST samplers, the art is pretty cute:
Ahh, that's really cute!
There's also a lewder one that opens to a close up of Murasaki/Mirai's boobs/lack thereof...will go ahead and not post that one
Lame.
And I actually like (I think) how she's portrayed in Estival, there's a part where she's actualy (sort of) confident without the mask which is really nice.
That's good, if true. I kinda expected EV to make each character a bigger caricature of themselves (somehow more than they already are), but I haven't played it yet, so I guess I'll see, whenever it's localized... the wait's going to kill me.

FireCloud

Quick question for those of you who have played Shinovi Versus...

I've mostly been playing Shinobi Girls' Heart missions with the Gessen Academy. I've managed to level all of the girls to level 50 and max out Flash, Yen, and Yang for Yumi. (Flash is maxed out for all girls)

Have I done myself a disservice by only playing Girls' Heart missions so far? For example, if I go to play the story missions, Shinobi Girls' Code, for one of the other schools am I going to be playing against the level 50 characters in Gessen if I encounter one of them during the story mode?

I started out using Girls' Heart missions to learn the move set for each girl...but got carried away and ended up maxing all of their levels. I wanted the trophy so I went ahead and maxed out Flash, Yen, and Yang for Yumi but now that I feel I'm ready to start the story missions, I wonder if I've dug myself a hole and will have to level all of the other academies before I can do the store mode.

Thoughts?

MetalDeer

Have I done myself a disservice by only playing Girls' Heart missions so far? For example, if I go to play the story missions, Shinobi Girls' Code, for one of the other schools am I going to be playing against the level 50 characters in Gessen if I encounter one of them during the story mode?

Huh.. I never really thought of that, but now that I think about it, fighting certain characters that I had at higher levels was harder. So maybe? Like, I had Ryona at about 40 or so, and fighting her at level 10 was a little brutal, but I think that's just because of how she attacks.

It wasn't significantly harder, though. I was still able to just go into frantic mode and beat them up pretty quickly.

Demoskinos

Quick question for those of you who have played Shinovi Versus...

I've mostly been playing Shinobi Girls' Heart missions with the Gessen Academy. I've managed to level all of the girls to level 50 and max out Flash, Yen, and Yang for Yumi. (Flash is maxed out for all girls)

I started out using Girls' Heart missions to learn the move set for each girl...but got carried away and ended up maxing all of their levels. I wanted the trophy so I went ahead and maxed out Flash, Yen, and Yang for Yumi but now that I feel I'm ready to start the story missions, I wonder if I've dug myself a hole and will have to level all of the other academies before I can do the store mode.

Thoughts?

Im pretty sure the computer is capped at specific difficulty thresholds. Because there is a Normal and Hard mode for story. If anything you'll be overpowered. TBH. Anything over like level 25 just makes the game a cakewalk.

SerTapTap

what do you guys think of the estival versus figures' paint jobs. I expected this but some are pretty bad.

Mine are all pretty decent. The Shinovi Versus one I got have some defects. It's not like the quality is amazing but I don't recall any particular flaws with them.

Have I done myself a disservice by only playing Girls' Heart missions so far?

Yes it's basically impossible for you to lose at level 50 even on hard difficulty. I dont' even recommend playing Shinobi Girl's Heart missions first let alone grinding.

That's good, if true. I kinda expected EV to make each character a bigger caricature of themselves (somehow more than they already are), but I haven't played it yet, so I guess I'll see, whenever it's localized... the wait's going to kill me.

Not like I can really tell, but no if anything people are less of caricatures. I think Ryobi might actually have a personality even?? Bon Appetit on the other hand is Flanderization Central but hey it's noncanon. EV even seems to mostly forgo the boring as fuck Asuka/Homura crap that every other game beats into your skull every 5 minutes.

SerTapTap

Is there any particular significance to Ryona referring to herself with the -chan suffix? Not sure I've ever heard that done before. I did notice that she refers to absolutely everyone else with it as well, except Jasmine (who gets a san)

Eolz

I see that as her talking of herself in the third person to stay completely in her masochistic
(not necessarily submissive)
role, to show that she's dumb and won't do anything against anyone hitting her basically I guess.
Edit: I remember her using "I" at the end of SV's New Hebijo story for example or whenever she seems mad about something. Her "do you think this is a game?" change of attitude.

SerTapTap

I thought the third person thing was just a natural result of Japanese apparently being weird about first person articles or something? Everyone introduces themselves in the third person and says their own name a ton. Ryona's just the only one adding "chan", unless that somehow makes it explicitly third person where the other instances don't? Not that I understand Japanese, I guess I wouldn't be asking if I did.

antibolo

Banned
In Japanese, using one's own name to refer to themself is ok only as a cutesy, girly thing. Anybody else is expected to use boku/ore/watashi accordingly.

ShinMaruku

I think it is just a gag with Miyabi. She is very much a lady. Keeping with the two good kun ouch princesses she is the 'evil' one,

SerTapTap

I think it is just a gag with Miyabi. She is very much a lady. Keeping with the two good kun ouch princesses she is the 'evil' one,

Well homura is """"""""""""evil"""""""""""" as well though they seem to have basically given up on that (and good riddance, awful tripe stretched too thin). She's definitely supposed to act a bit masculine, rather Baiken like.

antibolo

Banned
I think it's pretty much implied in the SK canon at that point that "evil" shinobi aren't really evil, they're just less righteous than the "good" ones, and this constructed rivalry between them is good to encourage growth.

They retroactively dropped the pretense of genuine evil in Senran Kagura Burst when they made the Hebijo school playable and fleshed out their personalities.

Demoskinos

Well homura is """"""""""""evil"""""""""""" as well though they seem to have basically given up on that (and good riddance, awful tripe stretched too thin). She's definitely supposed to act a bit masculine, rather Baiken like.
Yeah the whole good and evil shinobi stuff was real dumb. A lot of SV was just "Oh hey they are just like me!" I get that the real "reason" was so they could get them to fight and hopefully spill enough blood to draw out Yoma but I'm kind of glad they are past that now.

ShinMaruku

The difference betweeen 'good' and 'evil' shibobi is the 'evil' ones do less savory things like assasinations stealing and spying things, 'good' is the opposite and the conflict they spark draws in Yoma.

Their true purpose is demon slaying of course, but the competition keeps them sharp and makes them VERY highly trained to fight the Yoma. I'd kill for a side story where it's Kagura and Kage story line without the school thing and just them jacking up Yoma and things like that. Make it the princesses's grandfathers (I use princess loosely because they are the hieresses of their grandfather's titles. And by Princesses obviously Asuka,Yumi and Miyabi) or a side story with Rin and Daidouji.

Although since they did add Team Ninja's dark character maybe some of the dlc will be some Yoma thing.

SerTapTap

Yeah the whole good and evil shinobi stuff was real dumb. A lot of SV was just "Oh hey they are just like me!" I get that the real "reason" was so they could get them to fight and hopefully spill enough blood to draw out Yoma but I'm kind of glad they are past that now.

Yeah they spent like two full games harping on the "evil shinbi are just the same!!!!" and like one chapter or two of one game would have been sufficient.

The difference betweeen 'good' and 'evil' shibobi is the 'evil' ones do less savory things like assasinations stealing and spying things, 'good' is the opposite and the conflict they spark draws in Yoma.

Their true purpose is demon slaying of course, but the competition keeps them sharp and makes them VERY highly trained to fight the Yoma. I'd kill for a side story where it's Kagura and Kage story line without the school thing and just them jacking up Yoma and things like that. Make it the princesses's grandfathers (I use princess loosely because they are the hieresses of their grandfather's titles. And by Princesses obviously Asuka,Yumi and Miyabi) or a side story with Rin and Daidouji.

Although since they did add Team Ninja's dark character maybe some of the dlc will be some Yoma thing.

There are Yoma in Senran Kagura 2 though at least the first big one was a pretty lame fight IMO. I'm fine with some Yoma if they're kept interesting but if they're kept only in the 3DS series I probably won't give much of a shit about them. Considering cancelling the SK2 preorder but I'll give my japanese copy another stab. Anyone know if the difficulty spikes iron out or is it just a complete trainwreck the whole way through?

ShinMaruku

I think with more horse power they could make the Yoma fights more intresting. The game system in Versus is up there for them to do something.

Top Bottom