• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Josephl64

I recently got a chance to play one of my copies of Estival Versus at a friend's for around an hour. It was so fun, really wish I could have played it for longer.

(I don't have a Vita or PS4 yet...I just somehow own the LEs of both)

ShinMaruku

fuck yumi

Many would.
MVGame.png

Eolz

Based Homura not discriminating anyone.
Pretty sure she and Asuka (and most likely most SK girls) are bi, it's just that they never see males their age, or have the time to get in a relationship with them.
Hell, Homu even lusted on Ikaruga's brother in the second SK2 japanese trailer.

Lovely pics btw.

ShinMaruku

I'm telling you if a crazy dude like Hanzou in his youth was in it. He'd be in some sitations with them girls. Great to play off Katsuragi.

"Oh don't mind me, I'm just watching"
pogchamp.png

SerTapTap

Is it just me or does Murasaki scream less (the angry screams) in Estival Versus than Shinovi? It adds punch to her attacks so it's kinda lame it's only supers (also her supers are meh)

I'd tend to agree. One thing I like about Senran Kagura is that its just the girls and not some dopey harem thing with all the girls swooning over a single guy.

Yeah Harem can fuck off and die. Glad there are extremely few male characters and that aside from Hanzo you usually obliterate them story-wise as soon as they appear

I'd tend to agree. One thing I like about Senran Kagura is that its just the girls and not some dopey harem thing with all the girls swooning over a single guy.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't see the appeal of harem thingies anyway - if it's the girls that carry the show then we don't need some spineless, useless male lead that do nothing and faint each time he sees some bits of skin.

Girl power !

Josephl64

I actually now thinking about it, can't recall many harem protags that aren't either spineless, or clueless...don't look up where my ava is from.

Anyways, I'd have to say I do much prefer Senran Kagura with almost no guys available. I'm fine with Hanzou since he's not everywhere in the game though. Wouldn't want more guys in the series however.

ShinMaruku

That's Katsuragi's role thank you very much.

Would be funnier if she went under that too. You guys are lokking at it from the other Anime way but looking at something different. Nothing haremy unless they pull off a Rosario Vampire Type deal.
Not what I am looking for :E

Hanzo is just your typical dirty old man. And he is way more handsome than, say, Happosai.

Now, Murasame, even 'jerk' doesn't even begin to describe the piece of garbage that he is. I know he has gotten better, but the hints of psychological abuse during Ikaruga childhood from the first game made me loathe him :/

ShinMaruku

Murasame was a great character in conecept. His hate of Ikaruga is just a simple reaction out of their family. If you seen what Ikaruga told Yomi, "If your family gave me one once of the love yours shown you, I'd be a happier person" where their family is kind of aloof and cold to 'build' character and he took it wrong when he could not cut mustard. I want them to put out some novels on Ikaruga and Murakumo to go into the side story. Or a novel with Rin and Daidouji. So much good material.

Seeing how bad ass Hanzo and Kurokage was they could put in a fe dudes but it would have to be outside the school area so they have less of those tropes to adhere to.

Josephl64

Hanzo is just your typical dirty old man. And he is way more handsome than, say, Happosai.

Now, Murasame, even 'jerk' doesn't even begin to describe the piece of garbage that he is. I know he has gotten better, but the hints of psychological abuse during Ikaruga childhood from the first game made me loathe him :/

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about him

SerTapTap

Murasame may be worse in terms of being an awful human being, but in terms of harming the game Hanzo is definitely the worst. Murasame provides interesting story stuff, Hanzo just totally destroys the mood and is annoying as shit with no story payoff every time he shows up (outside of Bon Appetit where he's pretty funny).

Bad person != bad character. Handsome Jack in borderlands is a repulsive shitbag of a human being and arguably the best written character in the game.

Murasame may be worse in terms of being an awful human being, but in terms of harming the game Hanzo is definitely the worst. Murasame provides interesting story stuff, Hanzo just totally destroys the mood and is annoying as shit with no story payoff every time he shows up (outside of Bon Appetit where he's pretty funny).

Bad person != bad character. Handsome Jack in borderlands is a repulsive shitbag of a human being and arguably the best written character in the game.

Hanzo plays an important role on Burst and in the Crimson Squad's story on Versus. Is only on Gessen when he becomes a massive ass (and since EV picks up rom Gessen's story, that characterization sticks). SK2 on the other hand, shows a different side of Hanzo and he's again and important part of the plot

For the most part Murasame is more of a plot device than a character, he only exists to cause anguish to Ikaruga and never gets much characterization beyond that. He gets more characterization on the anime and SK2 but even then, is pretty small what he gets.

Demoskinos

Couldn't find a version of this without the water mark but was just looking through the Design Works book and this is easily one of my favorite pictures. Hikage has some of the best expressions for being an "emotionless" character.
c20121228_kagurasv_08_cs1w1_453x640.jpg

Vylash

yup, the "perverted old man" trope has never been funny or entertaining and has absolutely no place in anything, especially sk

It may be a little overused as a trope. But what make me wonder is the purpose of his character as I fail to see any ? (the foil to ever-serious Kiriya, maybe ?)

For the most part Murasame is more of a plot device than a character, he only exists to cause anguish to Ikaruga and never gets much characterization beyond that. He gets more characterization on the anime and SK2 but even then, is pretty small what he gets.

Agreed; more precisely, he was a plot device at first and the attemps made to try to give him a characterization have miserably failed since.

ShinMaruku

I think it's less it's a terrible trope and more they need somebody capable to make it fresh and awesome.

Some themes are ripe for great stories, but seeing how it's written I think to force them to change next games should be them outta highschool.

Alfebit

Banned
I think it's less it's a terrible trope and more they need somebody capable to make it fresh and awesome.

Some themes are ripe for great stories, but seeing how it's written I think to force them to change next games should be them outta highschool.

They'll be highschool girls forever. Just like Sakura from Street Fighter.

ShinMaruku

They'll be highschool girls forever. Just like Sakura from Street Fighter.

I would grant you that but you have progression on other characters in SF. Sakura was always just stupid. Also she's not a school girl know that's her gi bullshit excuse they gave.

I think if they keep progressing time they can't do the highschool thing forever. Good chunk is at graduation and Daidouji and Rin have actually progressed.

BigMM

Neo Member
I just cant with the yurigoggles and just hating the male characters in the game. I mean really? Hanzou is great. Murasame is legitimately attempting to connect to Murasame.
Yomi was a complete scumbag in burst and they basically retconned her personality.

Demoskinos

I got my Design Works in and GAT DAMN!!!

I'm... having troubles... breathing.
Hmm yes. There are some good things in that book. Read the interview in the back! Its fantastic!

I just cant with the yurigoggles and just hating the male characters in the game. I mean really? Hanzou is great. Murasame is legitimately attempting to connect to Murasame.
Yomi was a complete scumbag in burst and they basically retconned her personality.

It has nothing to do with "Yuri Goggles" It has to do with the fact that all the male characters are really weak. Honzo is the most relevant of the four male characters in SK and they still fall into the stupid trope of making him a horny lecherous old man instead of just making him just straight up a bad-ass shinobi like he should be. I just really think they wasted a lot of potential with Honzo.

Top Bottom