• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT| Life Returns to Vita

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Was there ever mention of why it underperformed?
Seems odd that would happen when Burst and Shinovi sold well.

I don't think they ever made a statement. If I had to guess, Shinovi Versus probably sold really well in part because the manga and anime were being distributed at the same time. There was also a lot of promotion for the title.

SK2 released with less promotion, initial impressions were that it was kind of buggy, and there was significantly more competition with other ecchi action games being released around the same time.

Jawmuncher

I don't think they ever made a statement. If I had to guess, Shinovi Versus probably sold really well in part because the manga and anime were being distributed at the same time. There was also a lot of promotion for the title.

SK2 released with less promotion, initial impressions were that it was kind of buggy, and there was significantly more competition with other ecchi action games being released around the same time.

Yeah that would definitely end up eating into sales.
Wonder how they'll handle Estival to get sales up.
the PS4 version with a Vita version should help matters.

Just got the word from amiami and made my purchase.

$43-45 for the SK2 bundle is quite nice.

Now for the toughest decision.
More Shinovi Versus?
Or More Bayonetta 2 (well actually I'm playing through 1 again first)?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i LOVE Shiki's voice, Shiki's voice set is the only one i regularly listen to even though i can't understand it
Should've been a bit more specific. Her voice is perfectly fine. It's the TEXT I don't like. I fully understand they were trying to "translate" that she had an accent or whatever, but it reminds me of a stereotype (city girl, I think?) and it just gets annoying trying to read her dialogue.

ShinMaruku

Who do you guys like best to just run around in their underwear and kick the other gir'ls ass before she transforms? So far I only got Asuka to that point to do it the fastest. Ikaruga too can do it with her range.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, after buying most of the items & getting everything from the lottery with Hanzo, the first school I did, there's just almost nothing to unlock now, save for cheap pics & the voices, which considering how I get a good amount of cash & already got everything, I have more than enough. Only thing left to unlock are end of chapter hair styles or costumes.

Jawmuncher

Who do you guys like best to just run around in their underwear and kick the other gir'ls ass before she transforms? So far I only got Asuka to that point to do it the fastest. Ikaruga too can do it with her range.

Yep defeating them before they can transform is so satisfying.

bobohoro

Finishing up Gessen and I feel myself enjoying this less than Burst, which comes as a surprise. The gameplay here, while overall refined, just falls flat due to the camera and inbalanced challenge. The camera is just too close to your character, even though I know that it's probably intentional, but for gameplay purposes it's pretty uncomfortable. Zooming out a bit more would really improve it. And Burst, while also prone to cheesing and some rather unfair moments, was still way better balanced than Shinovi Versus. Shinovi Versus is easy, way too easy. And even if the player himself makes it challenging with hard mode (while not gaining anything in return, great design choice) it's not much different, except when the enemy AI is cheating and breaking combos left and right with no rhyme or reason.

It's also rather unimpressive that Shinovi Versus is even more repetitive than Burst, with less environmental changes or differing mission objectives. And most of those missions run shorter than the loading times to get to and from. Burst was a pretty mediocre game, but it had that diamond-in-the-rough feeling to it as well as much charme. I thought that if Shinovi Versus improved on it some more, it would make a pretty neat Beat em 'up, but it somehow got worse in many aspects of the game and I can't excuse that in a sequel, even if it's an indirect one. Will probably finish it regardless, since I want to see the Crimson Squad story, but I am feeling a bit let down right now and will probably hold off on DLC and Dekamori, as well as being a bit more wary before jumping into SK2.

Corgi

Banned
finally beat hanzo, and started gessou.

yumi is pretty great in many ways.

not that big of a fan of her special 2 though. way inferior to the tornado style moves that other girls have.

Ogawa-san

You can parry that life burst they do at 50% health before transforming. Do it a couple times and they'll be at low health enough that it can't be done anymore, after that any hit will kill them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Was there ever mention of why it underperformed?
Seems odd that would happen when Burst and Shinovi sold well.

http://gematsu.com/2014/08/outside-senran-kagura-2-user-reviews-edition

Gematsu looks at Amazon Reviews and professional japanese reviews of the game and sort of comes to some consensus about how people feel about the game

Basically it seems like they tried to make it more of a legitimate action game. but in the process some users feel the game lost focus on what fans enjoyed about the other games.

Some of the stuff they added doesn't seem to work as well as it should, and the game is alot harder in general on top of that. Series seems to be caught between trying to become a real action game, and still appeal to the people who are primarily there just for the story and the girls

Eolz

Guess the place is good to post this, but Takaki just posted a Famitsu link with a preview of the SK2 guidebook (+illustrations as usual).
Will probably buy it since I don't expect it to be localized here
(the game will surely be though)
, unlike the Syllabus for Versus.

81tHI3WSR1L.jpg

1aRQEAm.jpg

mwhJ6s6.jpg

Already have the Crimson Girls artbook, it was pretty good (especially that cover), but it's really 1/3 guidebook, 1/3 artbook, and 1/3 making of.

Jawmuncher

Finally finished all of the Side Stories.
Now to take a break and then go back to the stories.
I'm all Kagura Out at the moment.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
More of a Burst question, but is it worth it to frantic every stage?

Because frantic with those fucking crossbow maids is really making this incredibly annoying.

Jawmuncher

http://gematsu.com/2014/08/outside-senran-kagura-2-user-reviews-edition

Gematsu looks at Amazon Reviews and professional japanese reviews of the game and sort of comes to some consensus about how people feel about the game

Basically it seems like they tried to make it more of a legitimate action game. but in the process some users feel the game lost focus on what fans enjoyed about the other games.

Some of the stuff they added doesn't seem to work as well as it should, and the game is alot harder in general on top of that. Series seems to be caught between trying to become a real action game, and still appeal to the people who are primarily there just for the story and the girls

That would be a big reason for it.
Wonder how Estival will go for them.

Because frantic with those fucking crossbow maids is really making this incredibly annoying.

I played using frantic until it got too hard.
Then I went back to regular style (Uniform and then when needed shinobi).
It's been awhile but there's only 2 things worth unlocking which is at the end of the game.

Vylash

finally done with everything, little over 31 hours total, well i guess i have to max out everyone stats but that won't be for some time

you don't have to, but frantic at higher levels makes the game a complete joke as long as you're not standing around getting hit

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I just want to know what are the things that unlock and see if I want to continue.

Frantic does make thing kind of a joke until you get to the really long sections with off-screen projectiles and ninjas that drop down from the sky. Which isn't that hard to deal with if you have ninpo but I just don't want to deal with it right now.

Hikami

Just finished Hebijo, the story for that was way better than I was expecting.
Miyabi is definitely my favorite now.

Now just Crimson Squad to go. Hope I can platinum the game before Freedom Wars takes over my Vita on Tuesday.

Razia

Now just Crimson Squad to go. Hope I can platinum the game before Freedom Wars takes over my Vita on Tuesday.

Freedom Wars is next Tuesday? Awww crap.

Man, this game looks/runs great until it DOESN'T. Holy hell. Map starts on a snow level and the intros already run at like 15fps. Sony really kneecap'd this system hardware-wise.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy this game, performance issues aside. It's a lot of fun. It would be awesome to see this kind of gameplay on Vita applied to something with some actual writing behind it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On the Japanese PSN, they're 600 yen each or 1,000 for a bundle of both. So I'm guessing around $6 each, then $10 for both?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Do you guys think this game will be worth something in a year or so? Debating on whether to keep my second copy for collecting or sell it down the line.

(plz don't hate me for this gaf)

The "female gamers & devs and Bayonetta" thread is really going places I see.

To me all this says is that the same thing can have a different effect on different people. Some women may like playing bayonetta and I've heard it described as a "female power fantasy" by female friends, while others see it as sexist dreck on the same level as Senran Kagura. You may like it you may not, pretty much everyone's viewpoint is valid.

Depressing.
At least the game isn't equated with GG, thanks the great architect for that.

flohen95

The "female gamers & devs and Bayonetta" thread is really going places I see.

Depressing.
At least the game isn't equated with GG, thanks the great architect for that.

That actually reminds me of a section of a review linked some pages back by EvilFiek that I really liked. Here's my sloppy, quick translation of it:

In light of the sexism debate and the reactions that were evoked by the localization announcement of Senran Kagura: Burst on the 3DS, it is necessary to talk about this topic in the context of this review. Every single one of the characters in Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus has a personality that goes beyond simple clichés (even though they aren't exactly avoided, either - you'll find all the usual anime tropes). The main story is about friendship, being accepted for what you are, growing up and the problems that come with it. Each of the girls undergoes a development, learns to be self confident or face her weaknesses. And yes, almost all of them have big breasts.

It is okay to be bothered by Senran Kagura being "sexy" and that it features unnaturally huge, virtual breasts that defy the laws of physics so much that even Itagaki himself would get a strong nosebleed. If someone is put off by this type of content, he has every right to say "No, I don't want to play this!", because, while Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus is a good and fun game, it is not on such a level of quality that one would miss out by not playing it.
But before you judge prematurely, consider that it might be the strongest kind of irony calling Senran Kagura sexist when you ignore that there are almost two dozen female characters, strong in personality, and instead focus only on their huge bustlines.

If anyone is interested in reading that part in it's original, German version, here's the link again. It's the section with a gray background.

As for me? Well, some people are so set in their ways that it would be useless trying to convince them, and I ain't about to defend what I like to play and why I like to play it. There will always be comments like that, just as I will always ignore them.

SerTapTap

Only completed a few, but I'm pretty disappointed with the side-stories so far. All are basically the same thing, some impetus for action, 4 unrelated boss fights, one actual plot resolving boss fight at the end with pretty useless dialog in-combat. With Murakumo they didn't even bother trying to rationalize most of the fights.

Are you completing all of the girls' story missions too?

SerTapTap

Okay Shiki's is pretty funny at least

That actually reminds me of a section of a review linked some pages back by EvilFiek that I really liked. Here's my sloppy, quick translation of it:

I like that article, I mostly agree. I can certainly see why someone wouldn't enjoy it, but to simply dismiss it as most do is extremely lame. It's crazy how much hate lewd games get compared to pretty much any other medium also going for lewd.

I'm getting the game soon and am wondering if theirs any tips I should know before I play it. Appearantly one story is bad, so I should get that out the way first?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm getting the game soon and am wondering if theirs any tips I should know before I play it. Appearantly one story is bad, so I should get that out the way first?

I wouldn't say it's bad, but many consider it not quite as good as the others. Most people here started with either Hanzo or Gessen.

Do the tutorial as soon as you start up the game. It'll immediately answer a lot of questions you'll have.

The game's not all that hard, but don't get discouraged if you get a lot of D's the first time around. It's designed around replaying missions at higher levels for better scores. For the camera, remember that tapping the block button recenters the camera behind your character as long as you aren't locked onto anything. This can alleviate a lot of issues that people had with the camera control.

Top Bottom