• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus |OT| Wrap your Hometown in Happy Boobs

Ah, just figured out down on d-pad = combo breaker. Fights are now manageable.
Are you aware of teh "just defend" mecanic ?

Outside of ennemy super attacks, you can press defense" just before" an attack hit you to counter with plenty of frammes to combo freely ...

hitmon

Are you aware of teh "just defend" mecanic ?

Outside of ennemy super attacks, you can press defense" just before" an attack hit you to counter with plenty of frammes to combo freely ...

If you mean the R shoulder button yes, but that didn't help when I'm getting ultra combo'd by the AI continuously. Think it was Miyabi who just kept doing one super after another.

If you mean the R shoulder button yes, but that didn't help when I'm getting ultra combo'd by the AI continuously. Think it was Miyabi who just kept doing one super after another.

Some bosses and missions are like that , regardless of difficulty or level , sometimes the Ennemy wants to kill you and won't leave you time to breathe . It's part of this game charm as well .

hitmon

Some bosses and missions are like that , regardless of difficulty or level , sometimes the Ennemy wants to kill you and won't leave you time to breathe . It's part of this game charm as well .

Yeah, thats why it was an awesome discovery regarding down on the d-pad. I can't read the Japanese characters so I wasn't aware you could change difficulties.

Do the accessories do anything stat-wise?

hitmon

Any tips on fighting the bear costumed enemies and (harder ninjas) with Ikaruga? Seems like I've hit a wall. Can't block most of their attacks and she doesn't seem to do enough damage.

Any tips on fighting the bear costumed enemies and (harder ninjas) with Ikaruga? Seems like I've hit a wall. Can't block most of their attacks and she doesn't seem to do enough damage.

Pick them one by one , start a combo + aerial follow up ( the other bears won't touch you in air )
Aerial Combo like crazy and use your ninpos ( L + Square )

Keep the lock on your bear to be able to kill them one by one and not waste time fighting the set of 3 too long.

hitmon

Pick them one by one , start a combo + aerial follow up ( the other bears won't touch you in air )
Aerial Combo like crazy and use your ninpos ( L + Square )

Keep the lock on your bear to be able to kill them one by one and not waste time fighting the set of 3 too long.

Thanks, figured out how to do the air combos and it made it very manageable. Struggling against the pandas now with the gauntlet wielding girl. I'm enjoying the game so far despite hitting walls here and there.

jwk94

Just finished watching the anime for this...it was decent, I wasn't too fond of the ending. Does this game have a good story or is it more about the gameplay?

And, if it's possible, could someone make a Vita lock screen out of the image found on the cover of the game? Thanks!

Just finished watching the anime for this...it was decent, I wasn't too fond of the ending. Does this game have a good story or is it more about the gameplay?

And, if it's possible, could someone make a Vita lock screen out of the image found on the cover of the game? Thanks!

There are 2 types of stories in this game.

The school stories ( it's more or less the same level as to what you saw in the anime )

The individual stories ( it's more comedy than anything else with fights in between )
For example , it's hibari birthday, and Yagyu want to spend this moment alone with her , so she is determined to do preventive attack on everyone just to have a moment alone . Of course things will go wrong on the way.

^^ These are the kind of stories you'll find in the individual stories.

As for the gameplay it's Not anything spectacular but it works.

It's solid enough that you can have fun online.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Adding to that, the story takes place after the events in the anime (which I assume is based on the 3DS games?).

And if you mean the presentation, I would say it's more about the game play- the story cut scenes are mostly told through text-only segments with the occasional image. You'll also get reactions from character models talking to each other between levels.

antibolo

Banned
Does anyone know if this game has any chance of getting a "The Best" discounted re-release?

I'm tempted to get this game, but not sure I want it badly enough to pay the current full price.

Light bump For 2 reasons :

-Patch 1.05 is out( in case you're still playing online )

-I got the platinium:

2013-06-20-100915.jpg

YEEAAAAAAAAHH

Final thoughts

I took my sweet time with this game ...i don't know why but i did.
It was very enjoyable and the mecanics , while simple got me.

There is surprising amount of things to do in this game and i enjoyed all of it but the individual story were without a doubt the highlight in term of fun.

All 4 academies story were excellent and i enjoyed seeing homura and the other girls after the original senran kagura events :)

2013-06-20-100719.jpg

Don't like hibari original clothes, one of the few characters i totally changed.

Viva the full customisation ! Viva each school finale fight ( hanzo gakuen final fights were superb ) and viva the epic epilogue !
You can tell they put a lot of work in to this and i didn't regret a € i spend on it.

FINAL NOTE : 4.8/5

Ahah, at least I can post here without fearing to be bumping a topic a little bit too old ! ;p
Thanks R_thanatos, and congratulations on your Platinium !

-Patch 1.05 is out( in case you're still playing online )

Out of curiosity, do you have the changelog ? Just being curious to see what has changed.

Final thoughts

I took my sweet time with this game ...i don't know why but i did.
It was very enjoyable and the mecanics , while simple got me.

There is surprising amount of things to do in this game and i enjoyed all of it but the individual story were without a doubt the highlight in term of fun.

All 4 academies story were excellent and i enjoyed seeing homura and the other girls after the original senran kagura events :)

Viva the full customisation ! Viva each school finale fight ( hanzo gakuen final fights were superb ) and viva the epic epilogue !
You can tell they put a lot of work in to this and i didn't regret a € i spend on it.

FINAL NOTE : 4.8/5

Overall I really enjoyed it too in spite of some flaws, still my favorite PSV exclusive so far.

- I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay, I really was. The base moveset felt complete (dash, air combos, parades, blocking, specials...), and more particularly, each character's moveset felt really different and unique from the others : while Asuka and Homura are good all-around brawlers without too much weak points, a character such as Ryouna plays a little more mid-to-long range and is completely different. I love playing with 'dash' characters such as Ikaruga and Hikage, and I love the little latency of Ikaruga's nodachi, it feels more 'realistic'. Katsuragi kickboxing moves feel strong and heavy. Hibari is surprisingly good for bringing down the stomp hammer. Imu's electric staff is a beast. Shiki's scythe moves are weird but interesting, and she uses poison. Yozoruha's iron gauntlets are short-range but incredibly strong. Mirai is a bloody Touhou danmaku shooter in shinobi form. And I could go on and on. And I'm not even talking about the differences between sen/you/in for the movesets; or the DLC characters, which were already overpowered from the start.

I would love seeing a dev company such as Arc System Works doing a SK versus fighting game.

- if the game has one glaring weakness, it's its braindead, unbalanced difficulty. Theorically most of the levels could be finished by spamming the basic attack, ditto (I think) for the final duels of each storyline. And then you unlock the final epilogue of the game.

It's the moment the AI was patiently waiting for : it bites your head off, splatter yours guts on the vita screen, and wipe the ground with your hometown.
It's a bloodshed.

So you go back to the solo campaign, grind some 10 more levels to have a standing chance, and plunge back to hell. And I had a kick with this fight : it feels truly epic, and when at least you finish stomping the inputs to win that last air combo, it feels like a true, hard-earned victory, the kind you would have on Dark Souls. It felt good.

I went on playing with giving a try to the hard mode, and it was much more interesting, with a much more interesting challenge than the regular version. i still have some levels unfinished, I should go back to it soon.

- I felt the plot suffered somewise from being divided into several routes, and was weaker to SnS or especially Burst (which I consider, overall, as the best story in a SK game). The first game was centered around Asuka and Homura's rivalry and took some time to develop it so it could be a little bit more complex, and not only antagonistic; Burst greatly expanded the relationships between all the characters. Both games had a great balance between comedy and drama (so not at all what we had with the anime ;p).
In comparison, SV felt less focused. There isn't one rivalry but several, events or characters can change between each routes... its feels less homogeneous.

- On the other hand, I'm glad they introduced some new concepts (kagura, youmas), that they remembered the character of Tsumuji, and were able to bring some form of closure to Homura's backstory.

- Overall I loved the Gessen and especially Homura Gurentai routes. Kurokage's students like to talk big but are much more sweet and forgiving that what you would expect given they backstories.
Homura's squad is as charismatic as ever, and it was especially funny to see them rushing to their Hanzo rivals' sides whenever they were attacked ;p especially the reactions of Haruka and the others; you are fooling no one, Homura ;p
I swear they succeded into hijacking the game and are the real heroines of the franchise now ;p
Hanzo's gals are TOO DAMN SERIOUS. Even Katsuragi, who was blackmailed with her parents' lives. Emotionnally, the plot was the most griping of the four routes (yet still much less than the first games, though). But goddam if the series can be generous with the melodrama.
Hebijo was too much on the grim side for me. Hated it.

Conclusion : a solid 7/10 for me.

I hope we will have some news about a new game soon. New Wave seems to be still going strong; on the other hand, a part of the fandom seems to be angry with the producer for dropping the support for Burst and for releasing a game on a non-Nintendo platform. And the anime was really badly received by some fans for being too much fanservice-friendly and for being a bad adaptation of the plot.
We will see :)

Make a fool of the 3DS numbers, especially relative to install base.

Are the online sales included ?
And, above all, will it finally mean PSV for Senran Kagura 2... ?

I didn't see your post flying saucer earlier.

No i don't have the changes notes anymore. from memories it was some online staibilities issues and a bug removed in panty thief.

I don't see why the anime would be badly received.. i honnestly think they did a good job with it ( except the first episode )

My real problem with the plot are the numeorus changes within each route , some events are shared and it's hard to trully get a timeline because some subtle changes exist

However i didn't have such a hard time with the epilogue , it's IMO one of the best fight in the game but it wasn't that hard.

StayDead

Well I finally got a vita and this game is as glorious as I imagined.

The slowdown is a little weird when it goes into transitions (like the clothes breaking) and I'm still getting used to the 3D movement, but it's awesome <3

I don't see why the anime would be badly received.. i honnestly think they did a good job with it ( except the first episode )

I was under the impression some people did seem to regret that SK was purely 'another crappy boobs anime'
http://toro.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime/1357219886/
And we know the DVD/BD did poorly in sales :(

Don't get me wrong, I love the anime ! But, objectively, it was poorly written (especially the first three episodes - the script composer whould have taken a clue from the manga and jumped right into the action, from the moment Homura & gang appear), and it was a poor adaptation (too much focus on Kirya/Daidouji/Rin and not enough on Asuka/Homura and the Hebijo girls, mishmash of elements taken from the first game, Burst and the Spark manga, etc). I really enjoyed the series, but frankly, it didn't do the games and the characters (especially Ikaruga) any justice :(

My real problem with the plot are the numeorus changes within each route , some events are shared and it's hard to trully get a timeline because some subtle changes exist

I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Dougen coming back as the festival's great mastermind on Homura's route was not really original, too. And too bad we didn't have to fight a bunch of evil youmas as the final boss, the game lacks a big bad evil like Orochi ^^

However i didn't have such a hard time with the epilogue , it's IMO one of the best fight in the game but it wasn't that hard.

I just sucks at action games, then ^^
Still, I was really surprised at how much the difficulty ramped up for this last battle.

In others news, NW's Souji has won the general election for Kagura ?
http://www.4gamer.net/games/193/G019343/20130708066/
I'm quite surprised as I rarely saw any special events staring her.... ^^

Sats

Banned
I wish the translation included the dialogue during character story fights, but I guess they go by too quickly.

Ken

I can update the OP with a few English release stuff but don't mind if you guys jump ship to a new one.

The game comes out this month, I've watched a couple YouTube hands on videos and well...

....does SKSV play more like Dynasty Warriors or Ninja Gaiden? Is it fun and worth the $50?

I've got it preordered but I've been in the fence.

Ken

The game comes out this month, I've watched a couple YouTube hands on videos and well...

....does SKSV play more like Dynasty Warriors or Ninja Gaiden? Is it fun and worth the $50?

DW.

Yes it's fun. I feel like the colorful presentation helps a lot too.

Lyte Edge

It's a fun little DW-style musou brawler. Fan-service is off the charts; avoid if that's not your thing. My only real complaint about the game is that it's a bit too easy, but I still enjoyed it enough that I'm buying it again in English.

Lyte Edge

Kind of disappointed with the Waistdeep DLC. You wind up getting chibi character models for all but two characters. The chibi models cannot be customized, are missing combos, and do not have all their special moves. No dual specials either.

The DLC is five stages total, complete with story (like the main game, it's fully-voiced, has some FMVs, and has artwork). That's fine. What's not fine are the enemy chibi models getting stuck in place, usually in the air. You can still attack them and win, but it makes things pretty boring.

Hope the next batch of DLC is better.

Lyte Edge

If you havent played the first game are you missing much story wise? Worth watching the anime to catch up?

I didn't play much of the original game (still plan to go back to it, but it feels almost dated after SV and SK2) but watched the anime and can't say that it feels like anything was missed.

The anime is pretty much hit or miss. It feels more fanservicey than the game, less nekketsu, the writing is flawed at places (very slow beginning for the first 3-4 episodes), but I can't help liking the whole series very much.

Uthred

I didn't play much of the original game (still plan to go back to it, but it feels almost dated after SV and SK2) but watched the anime and can't say that it feels like anything was missed.

The anime is pretty much hit or miss. It feels more fanservicey than the game, less nekketsu, the writing is flawed at places (very slow beginning for the first 3-4 episodes), but I can't help liking the whole series very much.

Cool, I'll check out the anime then, dont think I'd get through SK1 in time anyhow

JoJoSono

Banned
Why is the final battle in this game bullshit? Who thought it was a good idea to have it solely be decided on the stupid "mash button thing"? Is thier a trophy tied to winning the final battle because if there is'nt I'm just going to say screw it.

I was enjoying the overall combat in this game, but after 30 hours it kind of turned to crap. The story and characters were already garbage so I didn't care for them. The fanserivce became tired and repetitive after you saw the outfits explode for the 1st time. The dynasty warrior parts became even more pointless and tedious as well. Since the levels are so small and the groups so little and easy to kill they feel irreverent and just busy work to the actual boss battles. Which becomes tiring very quickly. The boss battles are fun make no mistake if a little too easy, but they are kind of surrounded by a lot of garbage.

And now I can't beat this final boss, not because the boss battle is hard or anything, but because I can't seem to do the stupid mashing minigame.

Yeah I don't think I very much care for this game.

Chrom

Why is the final battle in this game bullshit? Who thought it was a good idea to have it solely be decided on the stupid "mash button thing"? Is thier a trophy tied to winning the final battle because if there is'nt I'm just going to say screw it.

I was enjoying the overall combat in this game, but after 30 hours it kind of turned to crap. The story and characters were already garbage so I didn't care for them. The fanserivce became tired and repetitive after you saw the outfits explode for the 1st time. The dynasty warrior parts became even more pointless and tedious as well. Since the levels are so small and the groups so little and easy to kill they feel irreverent and just busy work to the actual boss battles. Which becomes tiring very quickly. The boss battles are fun make no mistake if a little too easy, but they are kind of surrounded by a lot of garbage.

And now I can't beat this final boss, not because the boss battle is hard or anything, but because I can't seem to do the stupid mashing minigame.

Yeah I don't think I very much care for this game.

Did you mean to post this here? This is actually the old thread that was made for the Japanese release of the game from last year. The newer OT over at the Gaming side where I figure most users will look at is over here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the game, so I can't comment on anything, but I hope I was of help. I just think it'd be weird to use this thread in tandem with the other one.

Top Bottom