• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only watched the first episode so far, but holy exposition Batman, some of the dialogue is so bad! Will probably be doing 1 or 2 episodes per night, provided my wife stays interested. I like the premise and I'm prepared to give it a shot.

I don't think the show is good but it's also not terrible.

For some reason I really want to know how the story develops so the Wachowskis must be doing something right.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Only watched the first episode so far, but holy exposition Batman, some of the dialogue is so bad! Will probably be doing 1 or 2 episodes per night, provided my wife stays interested. I like the premise and I'm prepared to give it a shot.

You mean
Bat Van

Episode 1 felt like it was double as long as it was, but I stuck with it and I'm hooked. Lito's storyline is comedy gold. Also, Riley is so cute. I have a huge crush on Tuppence Middleton.

Hamlet

Episode 7 -
Things are really starting to heat up. Pretty interesting yet morbid tactics from Whispers there in dealing with the San Francisco situation.

Episode 1 felt like it was double as long as it was, but I stuck with it and I'm hooked. Lito's storyline is comedy gold. Also, Riley is so cute. I have a huge crush on Tuppence Middleton.
Yes, she's perfect. That smile is amazing.
"Why are you jealous of my arm when you already have my heart."

Lol.
Come on, the next line is awesome "What movie is that from?"

Kaladin

3 episodes in....I can see how people wouldn't like it. It's really an overload of storylines with 8 characters and they jump back and forth between all 8.

Most of these stories are good though, and that's what kept me watching.

It really clicks though for me when Jonas appears and starts going all Morpheus on us.

Will pick it up again tonight.

Hamlet

Episode 8 -
The escape scene was great. Loved seeing all the other sensates coming together to help Nomi escape.

Just finished the first season. Generally, I really liked it, especially post episode 5. It definitely has issues, like some "did they really write that?" dialogue, very unfocused direction at times, and a vastly underutilized core premise. (Use it more!)

But despite all this, the show is brimming with so much heart and potential it almost makes you want to slap the Wachowskis for not really tapping into it until right near the end of the first season. Thankfully, this show is packed with a very endearing set of main characters, that while mired in tropes from the offset, still manage to define themselves as people, and better yet, people you actually care about. (Even if they sometimes do dumb things.) The chemistry between all 8 is actually very tight, and most of the best scenes of the entire season are simple conversations between the sensate, sharing their lives and finding common ground. The show is also beautifully shot, making great use of the varied locations the cast find themselves in.

One thing I want to bring special attention to, is that while at first this show might seem like it just trades on the diversity of the main characters to cobble together easy plot beats, it actually does a fairly good job of exploring the backgrounds of these characters on a more personal level as the show progresses, particularly with the two LGBT characters. Nomi's relationship with her girlfriend is very touching, and despite some rocky narrative choices in the beginning, she becomes an anchor for many of the other sensate and I really appreciated that take on her character. And Lito is by far the standout of the entire show. His scenes are funny, sexy, sweet, and heartbreaking. Miguel Angel Silvestre hits it out of the park with his character, and Alfonso Herrera, as his boyfriend Hernando, also gives a really great performance. Given that Lito's arc is built on the well trodden storyline of a closeted gay man hiding his true self for the sake of career and public image, it could of been a very dour and meandering affair, but it provides some of the most entertaining scenes of the show, even if they were generally separate from the main narrative. I really got to hand it to the Wachowskis for creating these characters, because they played a very large part in why I think the show has so much potential.

Overall, I think Sense8 could be something really special if nurtured properly. The first 3 or 4 episodes seem like a muddled mess, and I don't blame people for feeling lost, but I would strongly advise sticking with it, because despite it's flaws, there's something about this show that makes you want to root for it. As I said, at its core it has a ton of heart. I just really, really hope that Netflix also sees this potential and that they continue on with the show, because I think it's a very important step for genre TV, especially in this new world of streaming dominance.

Kaladin

I just really, really hope that Netflix also sees this potential and that they continue on with the show, because I think it's a very important step for genre TV, especially in this new world of streaming dominance.

If they continued with Hemlock Grove, they'll pick this up for more seasons.

I think the real problem with this show is I would rather watch each person's story as individuals more than intertwined. Cut Will, Wolfgang and Nomi out.

Also, Lito and Hernando have to be my favorite tv couple now.

I don't think Netflix has cancelled anything yet right?

Seems pretty good for this show.
Hemlock Grove wasn't "cancelled", but the next season will be its last.

All their other originals (that were actually commissioned by Netflix, not bought from other markets) are still going.

El Topo

Just finished it. Hours Left has expressed this better than I could, so I'll just say this: I haven't enjoyed any Netflix show as much as this one. For all its flaws, it's a wonderful experience and it gets even more exciting towards the end, when things start to escalate. If you thought the first few episodes dragged on or were boring, the last few episodes are a rollercoaster ride. Can't think of a comparable show.

I really, really hope they renews this show. Cancel everything else for all I care, just give this show another season.

Lito is god damned hilarious! Enjoying the show, I'm up to episode 8. The dialogue is corny and there are cheesy moments every five minutes but I still end up queuing up the next ep with a smile on my face. It's good fun that is earnest as hell.

I was really surprised at how much it is based on the individual characters instead of a larger sci-fi story based on the trailers and what I had read. I'm sure it'll get more into that as the series goes on, but I like what it's doing so far. It reminds me of LOST where at first you think they are spending too much time on the flashbacks, but they are done so well that they end up having some of the best stories and moments in the show.

4 episodes in so far and this is easily shaping out to be my favorite Netflix show, I don't like the way they handle a specific character(s) dialogue/plot line but I am definitely invested in seeing where this goes.

will try to write actual impressions once I'm done.

Kinsei

Banned
They used to be, though. Not everybody knows about Lana's sex change.

Well the fact that she's now known as Lana should tip some people off that she's a she.

Oh, and SRS has nothing to do with it. She was always a she, we just didn't know about it.

Zalasta

Cut Will, Wolfgang and Nomi out.

Eh, how can you keep
Kala without Wolfgang? Those two have the most insular connection within the cluster for the most of the season, their connection was one of the strongest and they've literally had very little contact w/ the rest.

kirblar

Well the fact that she's now known as Lana should tip some people off that she's a she.

Oh, and SRS has nothing to do with it. She was always a she, we just didn't know about it.
They were professionally credited as that for a very, very long time. Gently correcting people who are unaware of their personal lives since the production of the Matrix films is a much more appropriate response than expecting everyone to suddenly be aware of the change in public status.

Kinsei

Banned
They were professionally credited as that for a very, very long time. Gently correcting people who are unaware of their personal lives since the production of the Matrix films is a much more appropriate response than expecting everyone to suddenly be aware of the change in public status.

I thought that's what I did in my first post. How else should I have asked the person I quoted to not call them brothers?

kirblar

I thought that's what I did in my first post. How else should I have asked the person I quoted to not call them brothers?
"They're actually not brothers, Lana transitioned to female a few years back, so using "siblings" would be more appropriate."

You called out a post without providing an explanation or solution.

Peyotl

Neo Member
Just saw the first episode without really knowing what to expect.
Wow, the dialog is really bad. And the delivery in most cases sure doesn't help. I think the show would work better for me if each storyline would have been filmed in the native language.

But I like the scope and the ambition on the other hand, and with JMS involved, I do hope that there is some substance to the mystery parts.
With all the stereotypical portrails of the different storylines I wonder if there will be some meta-fictional shenanigans

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I ended up staying up till 4am watching the show. Got to episode 6.

I'm really enjoying it a lot, I didn't want to stop watching. There's a lot more humour than I expected and I'm really liking most of the characters.

The end of episode 3 and the karaoke scene are two of my favorites so far.

The DJ is so adorable.

Kinsei

Banned
"They're actually not brothers, Lana transitioned to female a few years back, so using "siblings" would be more appropriate."

You called out a post without providing an explanation or solution.

I said they're not brothers, that's plenty explanation.

They're credited as the Wachowski's and she's credited as Lana and not Larry. I didn't feel the need to say she's not a he since the show itself does that.

Eh, how can you keep
Kala without Wolfgang? Those two have the most insular connection within the cluster for the most of the season, their connection was one of the strongest and they've literally had very little contact w/ the rest.

I thought about saying remove her too, but she's not as bland as those three.

Kurdel

Banned
Episode 10 was incredible.

I am glad the first season so far is mythos light. Seeing the charaters have their own struggles, and helping each other in times of need, is really awesome.

Episode 10 was incredible.

I am glad the first season so far is mythos light. Seeing the charaters have their own struggles, and helping each other in times of need, is really awesome.
Only on ep 6, but yes, each moment of action is so cool. Still trying to figure out what Indian bride brings to the table... Although something tells me she'll end up being the most deadly sensate

Sai-kun

Banned
omfg @ Lito in episode 2

Velasquez runs upstairs to see Lito's partner, and is...turned on? lmfao, that totally did not go how I was expecting. I bet she wants to watch or something. I'm screaminggggggggggg

i love this show lmao

also re: nomi

the scene in the hospital with her mom was fucking infuriating and heartbreaking. and the scene of her blogging and at the pride parade was great. I really like her

episode 3:
lmaoooo she watched lito and his partner fuck! get it girl!

I said they're not brothers, that's plenty explanation.

They're credited as the Wachowski's and she's credited as Lana and not Larry. I didn't feel the need to say she's not a he since the show itself does that.

Not really? People might have thought they faked the brother thing for marketing appeal. Not everyone follows the personal lives. Not everyone knows Larry is Lana now. Odds are it was an innocent mistake. Mistakes happen and you made a mistake by not properly explaining the poster's. And that's ok too.

Mazre

Just finished it up, pretty enjoyable despite some very rough edges. Would watch a second season.

Speaking of:

Sens8 Season 2 [OT]
Van Damn Always Returns

Not really a spoiler but just in case.

Four episodes in and I'm liking it.
Karaoke
was cheesy, and I wish they would let us in on the overall plot a little bit more. This show is shot and cut beautifully.

Goddamn, I had to pause and come here to comment. The sensate's potential has been building and teased slowly but episode 8 with Nomi shows the true potential of this show, if they can keep that type of scene up as well as keep building what they've got whoo boy this show will be magical. Can't wait to see what else is in store down the line.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm 4 episodes in. I find it strangely addictive even though I'm not convinced I am actually enjoying it so far. I'm glad that other people had a problem with the stereotypical storylines, I was worried I was just being prejudiced. I understand that the transgender issue is an issue very close to the Wachowskis heart but unfortunately I really don't think the actress is very good, which makes her storyline seem even more pandering than it already is.

Overall it feels very close to cloud atlas, these inter linked vignettes that really aren't that compelling on their own, but as a whole they just about manage to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom