• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

Just finished the first episode and have some random thoughts.

-Everything with the cop and the kid was cartoonish. Really, everyone including the lady at the hospital was going to let the kid slowly die?
-Giving Ganesh peanuts, come on. Her monlogue was worse.
-Generally the dialogue was so on the nose, to the point of basically reading a wiki description of the character's bio but also pretty much saying how they feel. The couple's flash back was ruined by her actually saying plainly why she cried.
-Establishing not only all those characters but also the loose surreal connection between them is tough but despite the really clunky dialogue, it was amazingly well done. I know the Wachoskis are directing but it feels weird how far above the visual story telling is above the script. But that seems to be the trend with them.

The direction and the promise of seeing the worlds melt into another is what I like about the show. It's hard to look past the really rough and blunt dialogue.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Jesus the dialogue is pretty darn cringe worthy in the show, I'm just starting ep. 4 and while the premise and visuals are interesting that script is just "ugghhhh." Were they trying to score points for the most cliche's they could fit into each character?

duckroll

You know ivysaur12, for a guy who expressed long ago that you think the pilot script was total shit, and made it clear you don't care for the Wachowskis, and have been down on the show from the start, it's pretty weird that you can't stop posting in this thread. You're not even talking about the show itself mostly, just randomly trolling the concept and making fun of it now. It's kinda weird and a bit of a turn off to be honest. If you have actual impressions to share about the show, that's fine, but why are you aggressively derailing the thread otherwise?

Jesus the dialogue is pretty darn cringe worthy in the show, I'm just starting ep. 4 and while the premise and visuals are interesting that script is just "ugghhhh." Were they trying to score points for the most cliche's they could fit into each character?
Clunky dialogue that isn't the character making a speech is a JMS trademark.

ivysaur12

Banned
You know ivysaur12, for a guy who expressed long ago that you think the pilot script was total shit, and made it clear you don't care for the Wachowskis, and have been down on the show from the start, it's pretty weird that you can't stop posting in this thread. You're not even talking about the show itself mostly, just randomly trolling the concept and making fun of it now. It's kinda weird and a bit of a turn off to be honest. If you have actual impressions to share about the show, that's fine, but why are you aggressively derailing the thread otherwise?

I'm having some fun with the concept of the show. Which I otherwise think is fantastic -- I've never said it's not. What's insanely frustrating about the Wachowskis, and this show, is that from what I've seen (3 episodes, I think that's it), it's monstrous dog shit that wastes a perfectly good premise. It's well directed and the shots between the characters are fun, but every thing else is just terrible. And Netflix knows it too -- they've buried it with almost zero promotion.

I don't really know where you're getting me making fun of the show's premise, since that's one of the few things I really enjoy about the show and why I even gave it a shot after its premiere. If you're interpreting me joking about some sort of GAF8 as making fun of Sense8's ideas, I'm not. Its execution? Sure. But we should also be better and not accept awful science fiction because it was given some sort of a budget. Scifi fans need to be better than that.

If you have a problem with that or think it's shitting up the thread, fine. But it's not like people are talking about much else.

The real problem I have with Sense8 is that it's so stupid (again, 3 episodes in, and I don't know if I can stomach anymore) that it might deter Netflix and other new nets from taking swings on these types of concepts. And that frustrates and scares me.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Watched the first ep, show is pretty, the use of sound to transition between characters, as well as show how things are getting muddled together helped keep the shuffling manageable, there's a lot of good actors here, but some of the dialogue and scenarios are awful, -
The cop and the kid? Seriously? "it's against our policy lawlz" no it fucking isn't no ED is gonna turn away a critical case like that, the moment you walk in with a gunshot wound like that you're on a stretcher heading to the OR - and that dialogue... "WHAT IF THIS KID WE JUST SAVED KILLS A COP LATER, WON'T YOU FEEL BAD FOR MAKING US DO OUR JOB THEN?!?!?!"
I seriously appreciate that they're trying to tackle some interesting themes and embracing all different sides of modern society but it's excruciatingly hamfisted at times.

- yeah it's a shame they aren't using native languages and subtitles, but oh well

I'm having some fun with the concept of the show. Which I otherwise think is fantastic -- I've never said it's not. What's insanely frustrating about the Wachowskis, and this show, is that from what I've seen (3 episodes, I think that's it), it's monstrous dog shit that wastes a perfectly good premise. It's well directed and the shots between the characters are fun, but every thing else is just terrible. And Netflix knows it too -- they've buried it with almost zero promotion.

I don't really know where you're getting me making fun of the show's premise, since that's one of the few things I really enjoy about the show and why I even gave it a shot after its premiere. If you're interpreting me joking about some sort of GAF8 as making fun of Sense8's ideas, I'm not. Its execution? Sure. But we should also be better and not accept awful science fiction because it was given some sort of a budget. Scifi fans need to be better than that.

If you have a problem with that or think it's shitting up the thread, fine. But it's not like people are talking about much else.

I agree to some degree, they could have cut back on a lot of the "WOW OMG , what is this. This is bla bla." with a lot of the characters. Matter of fact they should have cut down on the amount of character's period. It would have helped the premise big time. Three people would have been fine or combine them (The Cop, The Actor, and combined Character). Also a lot of it is weirdly disjointed as pointed out before. Which includes who ever the person was that wrote the script/dialogue (they should have drop kicked him or her before this started), also they should have let them speak their native languages because its not fun listening to broken English and a lot of the meaning is lost. Which broke a lot of the emotional lines in the show, it would have been much better to do it the right way with subtitles . Because its bad when you see your actors struggle trying to keep up with English words and vocabulary plus act.

duckroll

The real problem I have with Sense8 is that it's so bad (again, 3 episodes in, and I don't know if I can stomach anymore) that it might deter Netflix and other new nets from taking swings on these types of concepts. And that frustrates and scares me.

I'm not defending the show, I'm telling you to stop shitting up the thread. There being a low level of discussion about the show is not an excuse to derail a show thread on the launch weekend into some community level chatroom gag. There are people who are posting impressions about the show and being negative about it without being deliberately disruptive. Again, if you don't want to actually discuss the show, stop posting in the thread.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm liking it more and more as it goes on. I like the progression here with the senses.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not defending the show, I'm telling you to stop shitting up the thread. There being a low level of discussion about the show is not an excuse to derail a show thread on the launch weekend into some community level chatroom gag. There are people who are posting impressions about the show and being negative about it without being deliberately disruptive. Again, if you don't want to actually discuss the show, stop posting in the thread.

I spend most of my time in the Community side of the board anyway, so I didn't really see it as "shitting" up the thread. I apologize if that's how it came across, then.

I will only post impressions going forward on how I hope this show turns the ship around, desperately, because I think it's good for the TV industry if this show is good.

I really enjoyed the first episode. I am afraid, though, that the structure (jumping between multiple points of view each episode) might become tiresome.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I really enjoyed the first episode. I am afraid, though, that the structure (jumping between multiple points of view each episode) might become tiresome.

It gets better! The jumps viewpoints are amazing later on

evanmisha

Just finished episode 4 and my opinion of the show continues to improve. It's not fantastic yet, but the cringe worthy moments in the first 2 episodes have not returned.

It gets better! The jumps viewpoints are amazing later on

and pretty darn funny to.

Man this show could have been Daredevil amazing if the Wachowski and the rest of the directors and the script writer were far more in sink (?) and really critically looked at the show as a whole. To make it flow and work better as a overall series.

The group scene at the end of episode 5 makes me think that the show has real potential and can actually be coherent while still juggling all these plot lines.

I love the concept and I think most of the main cast are appealing, but they are given some awfully terrible dialogue sometimes. With some tweaking and a more focused through line, I really think this show can be great. I'm hoping that Netflix sees this too and supports it through these growing pains.

All I can say for now is that I'm enjoying it and I want to keep watching despite its flaws.

Pacotera

Banned
Me and my gf are just finishing up episode 9 (marathon here hehe)

We are both enjoying but yep, its a very very very slow pacing show. Every epi you get a new "rule" or a new revelation and sometimes you get some action but so far it seems to be the kind of show that season 1 will have a bitch of a cliffhanger at the finale

Will update when we are finished with it

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
let them speak their native languages because its not fun listening to broken English. Which broke a lot of the emotional lines and moments in the show, when if they had spoken their native tongue with subtitles, the message would have been made clear right off the bat. Also its bad when you can see your actors sometimes struggle trying to keep up with English words and vocabulary.

Mhmm, I get what they were going for by having everyone speaking English, but I think that if that's what they wanted to do, then they should have cast actors who were native English speakers or at least ones who could speak it more clearly. As it is, I'm often having to resort to subtitles anyway.

Mhmm, I get what they were going for by having everyone speaking English, but I think that if that's what they wanted to do, then they should have cast actors who were native English speakers or at least ones who could speak it more clearly. As it is, I'm often having to resort to subtitles anyway.

Yeah i get what they were trying to go for to but it failed for me and to date i don't think it has ever worked. Unless you just do the regular way or try to cast actors that have a grasp of speaking the english language (sounds), even with a accent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lito is my favorite character so far. The (up to episode 4 spoilers)
closeted telenovela star angle could have been mined for melodrama but I like how unexpectedly funny it is.

way more

I thought this thread was for a show called Now There are Eight until now. Maybe you guys should leave witty titles to actual writers and junk.

I thought this thread was for a show called Now There are Eight until now. Maybe you guys should leave witty titles to actual writers and junk.

Wait what seriously? maybe you should use google to search up the "Sense8" part first lol never the less it does start off with one.

Zalasta

It won't be the first and it won't be the last, but plenty of people will judge this show not for its own merits or faults, but the baggage that the name Wachowskis carry.

I think there's a beauty and sadness in the fact that 8 people who at times feel very much alone in the world now has 7 other selves they can experience through. I thought the karaoke sequence was awesome and I couldn't help but sing along with them.

Lito is my favorite character so far. The (up to episode 4 spoilers)
closeted telenovela star angle could have been mined for melodrama but I like how unexpectedly funny it is.
It's definitely been the highlight of the show for me.

Also, episode 6 was awesome. The strongest episode from start to finish IMO.

Welp, these last 10 or so minutes of episode 3 have completely sold me on this. This ish is awesome.
The spirit of Van Damme is alive and kicking, mothasuckas!

Akahige

I watched Episode 1, it had by far the most inspiring speech I have ever heard
to get someone to smoke crack.

Also I need subtitles for the Seoul scenes because the English is pretty damn unintelligible.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I watched Episode 1, it had by far the most inspiring speech I have ever heard
to get someone to smoke crack.

Also I need subtitles for the Seoul scenes because the English is pretty damn unintelligible.

fortunately netflix has subtitles???

foxtrot3d

Banned
Every episode so far:

Sensate person 1: Where are you?
Sensate person 2: I'm in place, where are you?
Sensate person 1: WOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I always wanted to go to place! I'm in place 2.
Sensate person 2: WOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Every. Episode.

This. I just got to ep. 6 and I swear these people don't react like humans in any way.

Watched 3 episodes. It's enjoyable so far. I'm not bored.
That dance scene in episode 2 lol. I literally laughed for 2 minutes.
Dialogue, especially in the first episode, is terrible.
Everyone speaking English is distracting, it makes every scene with Indian Girl hilarious because of her voice and accent.
Riley <3.
Lito's storyline is awesome and hilarious, love it.
Wolfgang could be interesting, but he had too little screen time. He looks like Connor from HTGAWM.
Everyone else - meh. Especially Nomi.

Blackhead

Redarse
First, there is no nuance to its presentation and like the rest of the show, it is written like unfiltered garbage. It's the most shallow dumbshit retelling of this ONLY INDIAN STORY Hollywood ever likes to tell.

Second, I am making fun of the fact that it seems there is literally nothing else movies made outside of India that are about India ever like to discuss except that same issue. Yes, it's a problem. The other six percent of movies are about the weddings themselves or poverty.

There's more to India, I can assure you!
There's a lot more to that storyline I can assure you if you make it past the first 3 episodes.
First they invert
the of course, they start her storyline with her prayer about her problems being 'trivial' which they are kinda are compared to all her other fellow sensates
Next, they invert her stereotype. There is no pressure on her to marry from her family. Her family supports her decision to marry in what they think is a love match
Third, the potential husband is not some evil dude. He is extremely understanding and willing to accomodate whatever decision she makes, including not marrying if she doesn't love him back.
Fourth, it's not just about the wedding. Religion versus secularity, religious riots I.e. contemporary issues in India, also come into play
Finally, in the final episodes, she turns out to be badass. All her earlier talk about going to university and working at the pharma company is put to use. She's not some docile Indian housewife and more than holds her own among the sensesates

You can continue to shit on the show for what you extrapolate about each character based on the first few episodes but keeping to those stereotypes is on you. It's a 12 hour show. Each of the main characters is fleshed out in some detail. Flashbacks, birthstories, motivations, arcs etc they all made into 'real' people not stereotypes by the end of the season. Season 1 is really an origin story for the sensates... better than Daredevil imo.

Zalasta

I can understand the complaint about the overarching plot being slow to develop, but I just started episode 9 and I think it was the better choice to flesh out all of the 8 characters before bringing them all together. I have found them to be all compelling in their own way.

duckroll

Watched the first episode. It's pretty clear what the show is I think. It's less of a "mystery scifi" show and more of an excuse to create a story about a bunch of different people around the world linked by a loose scifi hook. Very much like Lost I guess. Except possibly even less subtle than Lost. Characters are defined by very clear stereotypes, locations are chosen to represent specific themes and ideas rather than just being natural places. But you know, it's kinda hard to not see how passionate they are about making the show. It wears its heart on its sleeve. While everything is extremely forced, there's also enough about it that's interesting, and the production values are pretty amazing. I love the sound direction.

Some scenes could really be less on the nose though. The rainbow striped strap-on was kinda much. Lol. And why is there a pissing on the grave scene in both House of Cards and Sense8? Is this going to be a Netflix mandate for all their big original shows from now on?! Maybe we can have Kingpin pissing on his father's grave in Daredevil S2 too. :p

Just starting episode 9 and the show continues to improve. Pretty much from the end of episode 5, everything has started to flow much better. There's still a ton of plot lines in the air but the character interactions have improved considerably, and the writing has also been elevated, to a degree. (It still needs work though obviously.)

The best aspect of the show is still the appealing nature of the core 8 characters. Even if a particular one is doing something silly, or if their current plot line is not that exciting, they still make you care for each one of them. And the show really shines when they start interacting with each other more consistently. That's when they break away from the tropes and start feeling like a group of people that are truly connected.

This show also has an inherent sweetness that I was not expecting at all. I really like that aspect of it, especially since it's so rare for the genre.

Zalasta

I think for a cast that isn't physically around each other, they have pretty good chemistry. Although some seemed to be more insulated while others have made more connections with the cluster.

Pacotera

Banned
Well

Just finished watching all 12 episodes

7/10

Was expecting a whole lot more coming from Wachowski brothers...

Will put in spoiler for those who didnt finish yet

Show starts slow and with the exception of a few scene here and there , is still pretty damn slow till more or less epi 10.

Then we get a few revenge sequences, and the whole boring as fuck cant-unseen all being born drama with orchestra and finally last episode which was actually pretty good

One of the best episodes with a pretty lame season finale overall... dull as fuck unfortunately

If this was not on netflix and i had to wait a week for each episode? i would probably never had finish it

Will i watch season 2? Probably... i wanna see sun get out of jail and get her revenge at least... but man hype really fucked me up on this one =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom