• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

I'd compare it more to Lost meets The Matrix than Cloud Atlas. It's a collection of loosely connected narratives that are all strung together by a sci-fi hook, and that sci-fi hook happens to be more Matrix than anything else I can think of....hell, we even have a Morpheus.

Zalasta

To me what's compelling is how they have managed to impact each other's lives and struggles without being physically present. It is true that maybe individually they aren't all that special or interesting, but as a cluster they build up one another. I like how the show surprises you because you think that one person might be the go to guy to bail others out in a situation (like a fight), but that's not always the case.

Anyway, don't expect a huge development on the overarching plot until towards the end. The entire season is about character building, and personally I much prefer that than seeing 8 people I don't care about thrown into the middle of a conspiracy.

Five episodes in and I'm really loving this. It's just my type of show. I don't have a single problem with anything so far, including the dialogue. The visuals, the sound (especially the music), the concept....it all just clicks with me.

To me what's compelling is how they have managed to impact each other's lives and struggles without being physically present. It is true that maybe individually they aren't all that special or interesting, but as a cluster they build up one another. I like how the show surprises you because you think that one person might be the go to guy to bail others out in a situation (like a fight), but that's not always the case.

Anyway, don't expect a huge development on the overarching plot until towards the end. The entire season is about character building, and personally I much prefer that than seeing 8 people I don't care about thrown into the middle of a conspiracy.
Great post. You expressed why I like this show much better than I could have, especially in your first paragraph.

Epcott

Oh man, I have the hardest time holding my attention for this first episode. Theres something about it thats a bit bland. I need to turn it off and start over another time :(

rexor0717

I think I actually like this show, lol.
I'd compare it more to Lost meets The Matrix than Cloud Atlas. It's a collection of loosely connected narratives that are all strung together by a sci-fi hook, and that sci-fi hook happens to be more Matrix than anything else I can think of....hell, we even have a Morpheus.
Show is pulling some Human Instrumentality Project, where are my "mechs"?

Beyond some nice cinematography and beautiful locations
and gawd damn VAN DAMN
, this show really isn't for me. Again, too allover the place and the dialog and most of the acting is quite cheese filled. Not going in for a second season..good luck to them, though..

Seriously..that Van Damme bus kick was all types of hilarious..great scene.

Yo gotdamn! This mini
sensate orgy
is crazy, haha. I hadn't even thought of that being a possibility.

Edit: This song is nice. Is that Macy Gray I'm hearing?

XAL

Just finished the last episode.

I guess they expected Netflix to renew this series because the ending is extremely
dependent on that

Best part is Van Damme at the end all "What the fuck is up with this random bulge right now!?" Hilarious..

I was giggling like an idiot. Had to rewind it and watch again.
What made it even funnier was the Van Damme scene he happened to be watching at that moment. 😂

duckroll

Oh boy, I loved episode 4. I like seeing how the show is coming together. Even with the heavy handed handling of the themes, when the show steps back and just lets the characters and their lives start to intersect and show their "connection" growing, it really works. It's definitely a show that relies more on the emotional resonance than plot hooks. The "villains" are so stereotypically bad at this point it's impossible to take it seriously, but it's an entertaining side plot. The real meat is seeing the characters actually start to realize what's happening and embracing their bonds.

rexor0717

Oh boy, I loved episode 4. I like seeing how the show is coming together. Even with the heavy handed handling of the themes, when the show steps back and just lets the characters and their lives start to intersect and show their "connection" growing, it really works. It's definitely a show that relies more on the emotional resonance than plot hooks. The "villains" are so stereotypically bad at this point it's impossible to take it seriously, but it's an entertaining side plot. The real meat is seeing the characters actually start to realize what's happening and embracing their bonds.

Yeah, seeing them slowly realize whats happening has been surprisingly entertaining. And there may be stereotypes, but it's nice seeing a show with so much diversity.

Zalasta

I also like the show because they don't throw these characters randomly into some mystery. They still have their own life and relationships and problems to deal with. That to me is a lot more realistic approach to character development.

Holy crap!
Whispers
does not mess around. Neither does Mr.
Fuck yo hands!

By the way, Whispers is such a comically bad villain name, haha.

----

Edit: I love all these references.
Van Damme, Conan, and even The Matrix. So good.

Zeekaas

Watched the whole season in one day. Loved it, even if shaky at times. All character plot's where pretty interesting. Also the chemistry between the different chararcters was pretty great.
Loved the Wolfgang / Kala conversations and she calling him a demon. Loved Riley thogether with Will. Also the relationship between Lito, Hernando and Dani was crazy, Dani's reaction when she discovered Lito being gay was funny as hell and Hernando's sarcasm was great. The regular side characters in this show are really great.

The ending did really not really satisfy me though, it didn't really feel like a story was closed. Also for season 2 I hope the go beyond only takingover the bodies to utilize a certain skill. It was cool to see Sun fight everytime but it will get boring only seeing her doing that, same for Will and shooting, Lito acting etc.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I also like the show because they don't throw these characters randomly into some mystery. They still have their own life and relationships and problems to deal with. That to me is a lot more realistic approach to character development.

I actually appreciate that I'm 6 episodes in and the central mythology hasn't even really been revealed yet, just hints and small things you pick up. Other than that it's been almost entirely character driven and it works really well.

KarmaCow

I've only finished episode 8 but I really hope this gets renewed with the same budget. I can see that there is no way to tie everyone together this season, probably due to both logistics and plotting but I desperately want the see the web between the 8 grow. Not just scenes
like Nomi escaping, calling on 3 others in desperation and the others just instinctively reacting
or the fun stuff like the
orgy or karaoke
but the smaller moments where they overlap because they are in similar emotional states. The scene with Lito and Sun was a highlight because they both felt shitty and connected on that.

That's a weird thing with the interactions. None of them really freak out seeing, feeling, and talking to people continents away implying the connection is deeper than that so it doesn't seem strange to them but then they tell each other very written stories or exactly how the feel. It seems contradictory, it feels like they should understand each other without being so direct. I hope it is growing pains since there are many good subtle moments. I'm just worried that this flops and the show can't grow to build upon the amazing worldwide perspective flipping with a fraction of the budget.

foxtrot3d

Banned
My god I'm really disliking this show, I'm at ep. 10 right now and besides some brief glimmers of the potential like ep. 4 this show just falls so flat. The dialogue is just fucking atrocious and the characters themselves don't act like real human beings. EVERYONE speaks in anecdotes, this is like every other conversation:

"Hey, what's wrong with you?"
"Oh, well this one time as a kid something bad happened to me."
*cue flashback*
"That's sad. That reminds me of this one time as a kid where something bad happened to me."
*cue flashback*
"That's sad. Let's stare out into the open together so as to hammer home how deeply connected we all are."

And then there is the fact that nobody is particularly interested or surprised in what they are going through. As another poster said the other half of the conversations are:
"Woah, where are you?"
"Germany."
"Man that's cool I wanted wanted to go there."
"Where are you?"
"America."
"Wow! I always wanted to go there. It's so American where you are, look at all these American things you have around you."
"That's cool, but look at all the German things you have around you. That's neat."

Instead of going "What the fuckiity FUCK?! How are you in my head? What's happening? Why is this happening? Let's meet up and discuss this life changing, EARTH SHATTERING change and maybe figure out how it happened." But no, instead they all treated it as a minor inconvenience or neat little thing, "Oh, great not you again." And of course, as stated above, we can't actually feel the emotions that the characters go through we have to actually be told about them. "I'm lonely. I'm sad. I don't want to do X."

I also want to also point out that I think flashbacks are a mistake in this show. These characters can already pop into each others lives at any moment that allows for wonderful transitions, it ruins these moments and seems redundant when those same characters then decide to transition into a flashback. But, I know why they are there. Because every character speaks in personal anecdotes it would get boring just watching them talk about their past so they knew the only way to keep the audience interested was if we also watched the past as they talked about it. Very poor storytelling.

But, what can I expect JMS wrote these scripts and judging by Babylon 5 subtly has never been his strong suit. This is coming from a guy who had to hammer home into our heads that the Earth Loyalist people on Babylon 5 were akin to Nazi's complete with a character citing "peace in our time." We get it, JESUS! I liked B5 but my god did the home beat you on the head. I'll complete watching this season but I doubt I'll be back for another.

BTW I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculous stereotypes of all the characters. I like diversity, more black people on TV is all good with me, but when they are just stereotypical caricatures well you can go screw yourself. You might as well call Carpheus (or however you spell it) for instance "Comedic Africa Man." Can you believe how silly these Africans are, how they cling to odd pieces of Western/American pop culture? Hilarious.

Yoooo this
police escape and chase scene
is awesome.

Edit:
What the fuck, what the fuck. Damn that ending was brutal. And it really pisses me off. Sure, dude isn't the best person around, but Jesus. There are much better ways to handle things than through violence. Fucking extremism.

↓ Yeah, I wish they'd speak their native language a lot more too, but it is what it is.

TrutaS

As a long-time subtitle reader, I just wish everyone spoke their native language. You can't really have a multicultural show without the native language in my opinion.b

Anyway many of the characters story so I am enjoying it quite a lot (Episode 3).

Blackhead

Redarse
My god I'm really disliking this show, I'm at ep. 10 right now and besides some brief glimmers of the potential like ep. 4 this show just falls so flat. The dialogue is just fucking atrocious and the characters themselves don't act like real human beings. EVERYONE speaks in anecdotes, this is like every other conversation:

And then there is the fact that nobody is particularly interested or surprised in what they are going through. As another poster said the other half of the conversations are:

Instead of going "What the fuckiity FUCK?! How are you in my head? What's happening? Why is this happening? Let's meet up and discuss this life changing, EARTH SHATTERING change and maybe figure out how it happened." But no, instead they all treated it as a minor inconvenience or neat little thing, "Oh, great not you again." And of course, as stated above, we can't actually feel the emotions that the characters go through we have to actually be told about them. "I'm lonely. I'm sad. I don't want to do X."

I also want to also point out that I think flashbacks are a mistake in this show. These characters can already pop into each others lives at any moment that allows for wonderful transitions, it ruins these moments and seems redundant when those same characters then decide to transition into a flashback. But, I know why they are there. Because every character speaks in personal anecdotes it would get boring just watching them talk about their past so they knew the only way to keep the audience interested was if we also watched the past as they talked about it. Very poor storytelling.

But, what can I expect JMS wrote these scripts and judging by Babylon 5 subtly has never been his strong suit. This is coming from a guy who had to hammer home into our heads that the Earth Loyalist people on Babylon 5 were akin to Nazi's complete with a character citing "peace in our time." We get it, JESUS! I liked B5 but my god did the home beat you on the head. I'll complete watching this season but I doubt I'll be back for another.

BTW I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculous stereotypes of all the characters. I like diversity, more black people on TV is all good with me, but when they are just stereotypical caricatures well you can go screw yourself. You might as well call Carpheus (or however you spell it) for instance "Comedic Africa Man." Can you believe how silly these Africans are, how they cling to odd pieces of Western/American pop culture? Hilarious.

Wrong wrong wrong. Most of the characters are surprised and shocked by what they're going through. And the ones that aren't surprised, it is explained why in the flashbacks

SPOILERS

Will and Riley were exposed to sensates in their childhood. Will in particular already communicated with another child in a vision as a kid. Riley was 'warned' by a sensate about her uniqueness leading her to believe she was hexed. Even before making the connection she was already experiencing some visions (which is how she ended up at that drug dealer's place). In one other the Capheus flashbacks he witnesses his mother discussing with some elders about his uniqueness. She insists on holding on to him and leaving the village instead of abandoning him.. That's why those three are primed to readily accept, understand and believe in the visions and communication.

That's only 3 out of 8. All the others were very confused about the visions and telepathic links.

The stereotypes accusation is just nonsense. What do you want to see, Wakanda? The show does a good job of showing many layers of society in the Kenya, India and SKorea imo.

cyborg009

Banned
The moment
Riley called Will on the phone
I was like damn it took them this long to do this....

Anyways the scene where
Nomi got help from the others was pretty much the highlight of the show for me.. It shouldn't have taken so long for this to happen.

edit: also I kind of agree with foxtrot3d

foxtrot3d

Banned
Wrong wrong wrong. Most of the characters are surprised and shocked by what they're going through. And the ones that aren't surprised, it is explained why in the flashbacks

SPOILERS

Will and Riley were exposed to sensates in their childhood. Will in particular already communicated with another child in a vision as a kid. Riley was 'warned' by a sensate about her uniqueness leading her to believe she was hexed. Even before making the connection she was already experiencing some visions (which is how she ended up at that drug dealer's place). In one other the Capheus flashbacks he witnesses his mother discussing with some elders about his uniqueness. She insists on holding on to him and leaving the village instead of abandoning him.. That's why those three are primed to readily accept, understand and believe in the visions and communication.

That's only 3 out of 8. All the others were very confused about the visions and telepathic links.

The stereotypes accusation is just nonsense.
What do you want to see, Wakanda? The show does a good job of showing many layers of society in the Kenya, India and SKorea imo.

Dude, don't. If you've been reading this thread then you know that I'm not the first person to bring this up as most other people have noticed this. But, please enlighten me to the "many layers of society" we see of Kenya or India. Cahpeus' backstory is the most stereotypical backstory you can make for an African character. Rival villagers came with machetes and blah, blah fill in the rest. But, wait his present story is filled with unique characters like a violent African Crime lord, his AIDS affected mother, and his equally comedic partner also attached comedically to dated Western pop culture.

But, that's not all we also have a rich and interesting story in India regarding a girl not wanting to be married to what appears to be the perfect man who her entire family loves. You know the plot to every Bollywood move/tv drama ever made. And then there is Sun in Korea, which has one of the very first shots of her doing Tai Chi as the sun sets. Afterall, you can't have an Asian character who doesn't know some form of Martial Arts. But wait there's more, her character is plagued with her loyalty to her family and her desire to be free which could bring "great shame to her family's honor."

Shall I stop now and barf or keep going? If that isn't stereotypical to you then you clearly don't know what a stereotype is.

duckroll

I definitely think there is a truth to the characters being unnatural and their interactions as sensates being explored in a very specific way which follows the show's formula. That being said, I don't think the show is even going for the "natural interactions between people" narrative and direction style at all. Instead, the narrative is clearly a vehicle for the overall thematic points which they want to explore. Is it somewhat superficial to want to explore themes over realism? Maybe, but it's still a stylistic choice. The concept of the sensate clusters is a parallel for globalization, and an exploration of ideas like "wouldn't it be amazing to be even more connected than we already are today" and "what if the benefits of social interactions the internet has given us is extended to knowledge, memories, and actual senses too".

It's idealistic, heavy handed, and sometimes one-dimensional, but the show is just so passionate about how they want to share these ideas via an international set of cultures, races, and locations, it's hard for me not to smile and want to embrace it. I think the execution at times can probably be way better, especially in the dialogue which can be really, really wacky, but I just can't dislike what it wants to do. Puts a smile on my face.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I definitely think there is a truth to the characters being unnatural and their interactions as sensates being explored in a very specific way which follows the show's formula. That being said, I don't think the show is even going for the "natural interactions between people" narrative and direction style at all. Instead, the narrative is clearly a vehicle for the overall thematic points which they want to explore. Is it somewhat superficial to want to explore themes over realism? Maybe, but it's still a stylistic choice. The concept of the sensate clusters is a parallel for globalization, and an exploration of ideas like "wouldn't it be amazing to be even more connected than we already are today" and "what if the benefits of social interactions the internet has given us is extended to knowledge, memories, and actual senses too".

It's idealistic, heavy handed, and sometimes one-dimensional, but the show is just so passionate about how they want to share these ideas via an international set of cultures, races, and locations, it's hard for me not to smile and want to embrace it. I think the execution at times can probably be way better, especially in the dialogue which can be really, really wacky, but I just can't dislike what it wants to do. Puts a smile on my face.

Meh, Cloud Atlas already gave me that. And, screw all you haters that movie was a masterpiece. This just feels like a lesser version of that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There are stereotypes but there are also archetypes. Also stereotypes exist for a reason, just because something is stereotypical doesn't mean it's removed from reality. Obviously this is a YMMV situation, the stereotypes don't bother me and I think they serve the story.

As for the people's reactions to each other, while it's unnatural I also always got the sense that the experience felt somewhat dreamlike to the sensates and you tend to react differently in dreams than you do in the waking world. I also get the feeling that although they don't know these people their connection gives them a sense of familiarity.

Blackhead

Redarse
Shall I stop now and barf or keep going? If that isn't stereotypical to you then you clearly don't know what a stereotype is.
No keep going. You haven't mentioned the machismo mexican gangster, visiting a mexican wrestler fight, the chicago cop versus gangbangers, ooh gay pride day parade in california... I don't think you understand the difference between a stereotype and a setting.

Capheous, Sun and Kala are developed as complex individuals more than the sterotypes you only see. People in the African slums do watch hollywood movies. But we also see Kenyan golf course. Sun is a does have familial chaebol loyalty. But we also see in her in a korean prison where the innmates praise her under the assumption she rejects that notion. Kala is highly religious. But we also see her as a capable scientist ready to defend her beliefs and an indian society schism over religious versus secular.

The last Neflix show I binged on was Daredevil. That was drowning in sterotypes. When I compare with Sense8 the difference in handling of the diverse characters is readily apparent imo

Zalasta

But, that's not all we also have a rich and interesting story in India regarding a girl not wanting to be married to what appears to be the perfect man who her entire family loves. You know the plot to every Bollywood move/tv drama ever made. And then there is Sun in Korea, which has one of the very first shots of her doing Tai Chi as the sun sets. Afterall, you can't have an Asian character who doesn't know some form of Martial Arts. But wait there's more, her character is plagued with her loyalty to her family and her desire to be free which could bring "great shame to her family's honor."

Just because they are stereotypes doesn't mean they aren't true and are still very prevalent in their respective societies today. The point is not so much who they are but how their stories are told. As for your points on Kala and Sun, you weren't even entirely correct. Kala was not being forced to marry or even in an arranged marriage. Her union with Rajan is being celebrated because everyone thought they are marrying for love, which is a rare thing for them. As for Sun, what she did had nothing to do with honor, it was simply a promise she made to her mother. She has no loyalty to a father that neglected her and a brother that treated her like crap. I wasn't even going to respond because I feel no need to convince others to like the show, but apparently you watched almost the entire season yet managed to get character facts wrong.

Sinistral

Finished EP1... It didn't hook me. Seemed to spin tires and go nowhere the whole episode leaving me with no idea where the premise was going. For one full hour to leave me in this state is not a good thing.

Glad others can enjoy it though. Cheers!

Just finished it, show has a lot of potential. Hopefully next season will have some more of an overarching plot.
Also that Riley story really dragged the last few eps.

I enjoyed all of the sensates, favorites being Sun, Lito, Capheus. But everyone's chemistry together is great.

Finished EP1... It didn't hook me. Seemed to spin tires and go nowhere the whole episode leaving me with no idea where the premise was going. For one full hour to leave me in this state is not a good thing.

Glad others can enjoy it though. Cheers!

I would suggest giving the 2nd episode a shot. I almost checked out during the first episode as well, but the entertainment factor rose sharply afterwards.

Wag

I am up to ep 8. Would have been so much better if they were speaking in their native languages with subtitles. I don't understand why they decided to go with English and just assume we believe we would know they were speaking in their native languages? Then at times have them speak in their native languages? Makes no sense whatsoever.

El Topo

I am up to ep 8. Would have been so much better if they were speaking in their native languages with subtitles. I don't understand why they decided to go with English and just assume we believe we would know they were speaking in their native languages? Then at times have them speak in their native languages? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't think you can expect them to make a show where you'd have to read subtitles half of the time. Even if one doesn't find them annoying, they're still a distraction.
Given the general concept of the show I don't think it's particularly bad that they're speaking English all the time (with very few exceptions).

Sensate Official Rankings...

Lito > Sun > Will = Wolfgang > Kala = Nomi > Riley = Capheus

But as I said before, I like all of them. The reason why Riley and Capheus are at the bottom is because I felt their stories were the most one dimensional, and they both had a tendency to make bad decisions.

Finished episode 9 and 10.

Yo, all these Lito scenes. They're just too friggin good! Everything is so over the top and melodramatic it's hilarious. His life really is like a soap opera.

Also, woah at the piano concerto scene
towards the end of episode 10. I was not expecting to see a caesarian section or babies' heads crowning today. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a problem, it just caught me off guard a bit. Still, very beautiful scene. And poor Riley. :(

this fucking killed me holy shit holy shit

that was fucking rad, and
so hot.
Yep! One of my favorite scenes of the season so far.

---

Episode 11

Holy shit,
this Sun Damme fight is so good.

Pacotera

Banned
Having watched it all i cant see this reaching s3

I can see a s2 cause its netflix, i dont think a netflix was ever only 1 season right?

But yep... overall it was very disappointing

foxtrot3d

Banned
That's a weird response, considering I love Cloud Atlas. But I guess jumping to conclusions is fun. :p

I wasn't insinuating that you disliked Cloud Atlas I was referring to the general consensus of the public that the movie was crap. Any who, I finished the series and my opinion hasn't changed it's an interesting concept that is executed very poorly with some very bad writing. The visuals are great but you need more than flashy visuals to carry a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom