• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Chrange

Banned
It's an old example, but it shows exactly what the problem with their numbers is.

viqqx.jpg

That's quite the remarkable adjustment in numbers. Probably just a typo, right? There was another, far worse one, but I don't think I bothered saving the comparisons.

iammeiam said:
I mean, take the Europe quote. It specifically says 1.5 million "new controllers", which technically could allow for the nunchuck (not sure if they could count the PS Eye , too). Not saying that's what I think the quote actually means, but without NPD coldly stating unit sales, Sony can pick how they relay the truth of their sales.

It's been said before, but please, how exactly would have NPD releasing full sales data have had any change to the verifiability of European sales figures?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So...the first month ever PS3 beat Wii (I believe?) and Sony won't release numbers? :lol I guess they won't play ball ever then.

fernoca

les papillons sexuels said:
Truth is, for the limited resources VGC has, their numbers are fairly impressive, and I'd argue accurate enough.
you're free to start up your own tracking website if you believe you can do a better job.

Otherwise I'd say that beggars can't be choosers.
well, once you can prove that it's false I'll take your word on it that it's incorrect.
Oh, come on.
Do you work at "the chartz"?:p

In any case, you do know that the one that started that site (ioi) was originally a member from here and was banned from here for that very same reason? (well one of the reasons at least).

Is part of why the site is also banned from here.
So the "proof" is way beyond the already posted pictures of different numbers, etc. There is a history with the "founder" from there; from way before that site was even created. So is not like many decided to one day hate on it.

gofreak said:
So...the first month ever PS3 beat Wii (I believe?) and Sony won't release numbers? :lol I guess they won't play ball ever then.

nah if they beat the Wii they would have released their numbers for sure!! But I guess we'll never know.

confuziz

Banned
fernoca said:
Oh, come on.
Do you work at "the chartz"?:p

In any case, you do know that the one that started that site (ioi) was originally a member from here and was banned from here for that very same reason? (well one of the reasons at least).

Is part of why the site is also banned from here.
So the "proof" is way beyond the already posted pictures of different numbers, etc. There is a history with the "founder" from there; so is not like many decided to one day hate on it.

But they do. It seems like the cool thing to do, regardless of the many things that have changed in the past months there..

Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate and all.

No one is going to argue that "the other site" has provided atrociously inconsistent data with NPD historically. They have.

They're even inconsistent as recently as this month... tracking Metroid: Other M ahead of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep as one example.

But I have to think that if I was running such a site and generating quite a lot of site traffic and web ad revenue that I would make a concerted effort to improve my reporting. To get it AS accurate as possible given the limitations of certain data streams being locked out by NPD anti-competition moneyhats and other shady practices.

Can we really argue that isn't being done? Despite the inconsistency above, the other site DID track Top 10 sales for a PSP title in September. So they're not just pulling these numbers out of their ass.

Anyone quoting that site's data as gospel deserves to be mocked and ridiculed. They're banned from GAF for a reason. But I have to think some of the unmitigated RAGE some of you have for them is a little overboard as well.

If people want to go there and take whatever numbers they can get. Even wrong ones. Even ones that get corrected when proven wrong. Then let them. It's not like they're joining a cult or preaching racial intolerance or anything else. They're simply seeking out a lesser resource now that the primary one has collectively told us to fuck the hell off unless we pony up 120K.

fernoca

confuziz said:
But they do. It seems like the cool thing to do, regardless of the many things that have changed in the past months there..
They still post innacurate numbers. They still have an archive of innacurate numbers.
But they are getting more exposure, so for many that's what matters.

ioi is probably laughing in there (or here?) because of all of this.

Soon, quoting in box-covers "6.5 million -VGChartzz"; "Game of The Year -IGN". :p

B-Rad Lascelle said:

No one is going to argue that "the other site" has provided atrociously inconsistent data with NPD historically. They have.

They're even inconsistent as recently as this month... tracking Metroid: Other M ahead of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep as one example.

But I have to think that if I was running such a site and generating quite a lot of site traffic and web ad revenue that I would make a concerted effort to improve my reporting. To get it AS accurate as possible given the limitations of certain data streams being locked out by NPD anti-competition moneyhats and other shady practices.

Can we really argue that isn't being done? Despite the inconsistency above, the other site DID track Top 10 sales for a PSP title in September. So they're not just pulling these numbers out of their ass.

Anyone quoting that site's data as gospel deserves to be mocked and ridiculed. They're banned from GAF for a reason. But I have to think some of the unmitigated RAGE some of you have for them is a little overboard as well.

If people want to go there and take whatever numbers they can get. Even wrong ones. Even ones that get corrected when proven wrong. Then let them. It's not like they're joining a cult or preaching racial intolerance or anything else. They're simply seeking out a lesser resource now that the primary one has collectively told us to fuck the hell off unless we pony up 120K.
I do agree with this. More exposure, more revenue, more sources, more accurate numbers (maybe?).

If anything, with time it will provide some pressure to NPD to get their head out of their assess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
perfectchaos007 said:
nah if they beat the Wii they would have released their numbers for sure!! But I guess we'll never know.

Its weekly avg is up over August, so per Psychotext's calculation earlier it sold at least 283k.

confuziz

Banned
fernoca said:
They still post innacurate numbers. They still have an archive of innacurate numbers.
But they are getting more exposure, so for many that's what matters.

ioi is probably laughing in there (or here?) because of all of this.

Soon, quoting in box-covers "6.5 million -VGChartzz"; "Game of The Year -IGN". :p

I don't care HOW bad it is at this moment. It's getting better and in a few months if the big 3 don't release sales at all, it's prety much everything we got, and for FREE.

Pooya

gofreak said:
Its weekly avg is up over August, so per Psychotext's calculation earlier it sold at least 283k.

yeah, the only possible scenario in which PS3 didn't outsell Wii this month is that Frazier is referring to combined PSP+PS3 avg sales per week which I find quite unlikely personally :p .

specifically the PS3 and the PSP are up on an average sales per week basis as compared to last month

Vagabundo

We should use the GAF predictions numbers (The top guys on those threads were damn good) - massaged by suitable statistical magikery. Without getting some correcting feedback from the actual numbers we will veer off, eventually, to happy land, but sure GAF is mostly there already. We might as well put our hands behind our head, feet up on the dash, and enjoy the ride.

Sales-Age is dead; long live Sales-Age...

fernoca

confuziz said:
I don't care HOW bad it is at this moment. It's getting better and in a few months if the big 3 don't release sales at all, it's prety much everything we got, and for FREE.
You make it sound like a drug or something that if "we" don't get a fix in 3 months, we're all going to die out of desperation. :p

B-Rad Lascelle said:

doesn't NPD do some guestimating themselves? I don't think they get numbers directly from Wal-Mart and a few other outlets if I'm not mistaken. All I know is that NPD is not the omnipotent source for gaming sales data. No source is because of the lack of having information from all retailers. I'm sure on some occasions ioi got closer on the actual numbers than NPD did. We will never know however, because it's near impossible to know exactly how many units of an item were sold accross the country.

iammeiam said:
I mean, take the Europe quote. It specifically says 1.5 million "new controllers", which technically could allow for the nunchuck (not sure if they could count the PS Eye , too).

Actually, it says 1.5 million "(Move) units", which, again, might or might not include subcontrollers (if I was in their shoes, I'd count them, why not?).

But let's not forget that NPD numbers didn't go away, they are just not public anymore. It leaves more room for spin, sure, but if someone goes overboard with it, competing NPD customers will certainly call them out.

perfectchaos007 said:
doesn't NPD do some guestimating themselves? I don't think they get numbers directly from Wal-Mart and a few other outlets if I'm not mistaken. All I know is that NPD is not the omnipotent source for gaming sales data. No source is because of the lack of having information from all retailers. I'm sure on some occasions ioi got closer on the actual numbers than NPD did. We will never know however, because it's near impossible to know exactly how many units of an item were sold accross the country.
They seem to mention wal-mart quite a bit on their site. Are we sure they don't track them these days?

http://www.npd.com/corpServlet?nextpage=entertainment-categories_s.html

Fucking pathetic. Now there's even less transparency in this forsaken industry.

The worst thing of all though is not only that we have less numbers to work with, but now VGchartzz is gonna become even more widely utilised.

How utterly terrifying is it to think that a publisher as large as Square Enix would even resort to using VGchartzz numbers (and this was back when we were getting NPD figures at least!)

Only gonna get worse from here on out.

Still, to keep on topic. Bravo to Microsoft, they've really managed to turn their monthly sales around (no doubt buoyed by Halo Reach).

As for Sony, their actions are very telling. Their European numbers for Move are only shipments (and probably include the subcontroller, the Move console bundle and the Starter Pack on top of the solus pack) and they've mentioned nothing regarding US sales. Their software sales in Europe for Move have also been disappointing (with only Sports Champions selling decently. Oh and while we're at that, where are any of the Move games on this chart here? - hell it's even favourable to worse selling games since SKUs are combined!)

I'm not gonna join in on the conspiracies here
(psst, it's probably Sony)

Sean

Banned
I wonder if they could use a loophole to release competitors data?

Say for example Microsoft were to go "we sold 483,989 units of the Xbox 360 this month, which was 41% higher than PS3" or something similar. Technically they wouldn't be releasing any actual sales figures but we could all figure it out.

Furret

Banned
Sorry, I know someone is just going to respond to this with a gif or something but I can't see a definitive comment on the subject...

Are we now only ever going to get this stupid combined, all formats software chart?

They won't even do the old individual formats version? Thereby making direct comparisons to previous weeks impossible?

Nuclear Muffin said:
How utterly terrifying is it to think that a publisher as large as Square Enix would even resort to using VGchartzz numbers (and this was back when we were getting NPD figures at least!)

Wouldn't you think that large publishers such as Square Enix are already paying NPD customers? Why would they have to resort to using the Chartz numbers?

Well, at least internally, I'm sure they would be more than happy to quote inflated Chartz numbers to the public.

That wouldn't happen, Sean. A third party leak is all we're probably gonna get if the publishers and manufacturers don't share. I figure that this is only going to be this annoying for a limited amount of time before leaks become commonplace and big, like they once were in the happier NPD days of GAF.

confuziz

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Wouldn't you think that large publishers such as Square Enix are already paying NPD customers? Why would they have to resort to using the Chartz numbers?

Exactly, but you know what the answer to this is.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Well, at least internally, I'm sure they would be more than happy to quote inflated Chartz numbers to the public.

They used Chartz numbers in a financial report back in 2009 (and I remember seeing VG Chartz as a source in one of their investor relations slides but I can't seem to find it right now)

I don't know why they would not use NPD numbers - unless they thought that the VG Chartz numbers were real (GOD FORBID!) and that they would save money by just using the Chartz numbers, but the fact of the matter is that it has already happened on a number of occasions.

Nuclear Muffin said:
They used Chartz numbers in a financial report back in 2009 (and I remember seeing VG Chartz as a source in one of their investor relations slides but I can't seem to find it right now)

I don't know why they would not use NPD numbers - unless they thought that the VG Chartz numbers were real (GOD FORBID!) and that they would save money by just using the Chartz numbers, but the fact of the matter is that it has already happened on a number of occasions.

Ouch. It's strange that such a big company can be so unprofessional, that can only hurt their business.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
Fucking pathetic. Now there's even less transparency in this forsaken industry.

The worst thing of all though is not only that we have less numbers to work with, but now VGchartzz is gonna become even more widely utilised.

Only gonna get worse from here on out.

Still, to keep on topic. Bravo to Microsoft, they've really managed to turn their monthly sales around (no doubt buoyed by Halo Reach).

As for Sony, their actions are very telling. Their European numbers for Move are only shipments (and probably include the subcontroller, the Move console bundle and the Starter Pack on top of the solus pack) and they've mentioned nothing regarding US sales. Their software sales in Europe for Move have also been disappointing (with only Sports Champions selling decently. Oh and while we're at that, where are any of the Move games on this chart here? - hell it's even favourable to worse selling games since SKUs are combined!)

I'm not gonna join in on the conspiracies here
(psst, it's probably Sony)

Even if Sony was behind this, you really think this was some last minute rush to hush-up September numbers specifically?

This is the month they beat Wii :lol Move software not charting doesn't tell us anything about its performance since the SC bundle was categorised as an accessory, not counted as software. Even if NPD had done their normal data release we'd be none the wiser about it, its performance would still have been obsfucated for all intents and purposes.

So I'm not sure what Sony would be trying to hide here.

Sean

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
That wouldn't happen, Sean. A third party leak is all we're probably gonna get if the publishers and manufacturers don't share. I figure that this is only going to be this annoying for a limited amount of time before leaks become commonplace and big, like they once were in the happier NPD days of GAF.

Even if the numbers do leak out though, we're not allowed to discuss it here. So I guess that's that :(

gofreak said:
This is the month they beat Wii :lol Move software not charting doesn't tell us anything about its performance since the SC bundle was categorised as an accessory, not counted as software. Even if NPD had done their normal data release we'd be none the wiser about it, its performance would still have been obsfucated for all intents and purposes.

Exactly. And even if we got the exact Move numbers, we would still only have limited insight into the level of its success. What matters to publishers is how many households are equipped with the accessory, and there's no way to know how many people bought more than one controller. It's going to be much simpler with Kinect, although we might not get those numbers either.

I'm sure NA Move sales were reasonably good, but not spectacular. If it was a smash hit, Sony would be shouting from the rooftops. But conspiracy theories were funny before with Microsoft, and they're funny now with Sony.

gofreak said:
Even if Sony was behind this, you really think this was some last minute rush to hush-up September numbers specifically?

So I'm not sure what Sony would be trying to hide here.

Well Move accessories were still outsold by 360 and PS3 point cards (but that wasn't really hushed up) Not exactly indicative of good sales (plus Sony have not mentioned anything about US shipments of Move at all)

Well, I'm done here. I'm not joining in on the conspiracy discussions anymore since there's nothing else to talk about (and big brother is watching)

All we can do is pray for leaks.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Well Move accessories were still outsold by 360 and PS3 point cards (but that wasn't really hushed up)

Is that surprising, though? Those cards are $20 products that a lot of people buying stuff on Live or PSN need, sometimes more than one per month. I don't have the numbers myself, but does anyone know when was the last time some accessory outsold a MS point card?

V_Arnold

confuziz said:

We get it, for you, false numbers are better than no numbers. But that data cannot be used for anything productive.

Sean said:
Even if the numbers do leak out though, we're not allowed to discuss it here. So I guess that's that :(
And why not? At the point that it's out (anywhere on the internet), it has then become public knowledge which only the original person or persons responsible should be held liable. The cat's out of the bag at that point, proprietary info or not, practically impossible to police and shush up on the instant global communicator and repository for any and all information passed through it, the internet. Oh well.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Is that surprising, though? Those cards are $20 products that a lot of people buying stuff on Live or PSN need, sometimes more than one per month. I don't have the numbers myself, but does anyone know when was the last time some accessory outsold a MS point card?
360 and Wii controllers have done it a few times. I'm sure someone will be bored enough to trawl the old data for exact info. ;)

Edit - PS3 controllers did it as well in February 09. I'd guess on other occasions too.

Eliciel

Now we can use *you know which other sales providing group I mean* and incorporate a +/- variation of about 20-30%. This at least will work quite similar to the new NPD sales data ;)

apana

Damn Nintendo isnt doing well, maybe holiday will give them some of their mojo back. Props to Microsoft, and lol at Sony not releasing numbers.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Ouch. It's strange that such a big company can be so unprofessional, that can only hurt their business.
I don't know. I think I'd rather cut back on costs at this point and use the free data instead of spending 120K/year on extortionists.

It's not like anyone is going to know you're using the slightly less accurate/more bogus sales performance data anyhow. Unless they're also paying 120K to extortionists.

Somehow I doubt Square Enix investors are doing that. They'd prefer to spend more money on Square Enix stock and Square Enix would rather spend more money on non-interactive CGI movie sequences.

(Sure sounds like FFXIV could have used the extra 120K.)

confuziz

Banned
V_Arnold said:
We get it, for you, false numbers are better than no numbers. But that data cannot be used for anything productive.

False is a rather strong word choice. I'd say 15-20% off to the real numbers is better than nothing

Top Bottom