• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll probably get Far Cry 4 eventually because why not, I like driving elephants.

Not on launch though since it comes out the same day as Dragon Age and GTA, and I want to play those more. And I can't help but think something else comes out that day.... Nah, it's probably nothing.

Also, stiffness ain't everything. That's why I find Dump Matsumoto to be far better than Hokuto and Toyota. Yeah, Toyota, I get it. Stiff dropkicks. Tell me an engaging story like Dump/Chigusa. I don't think you can.

BFIB

I'm in the same boat with shooter fatigue. Because of that I'm specifically trying to stay clear of shooters until the Master Chief Collection comes out in November. Dont wanna burn myself out too soon.

If any series could get me out of the FPS fatigue, that collection would be it.

But, no XBone here, just PS4/Wii U so far.

Sephzilla

If any series could get me out of the FPS fatigue, that collection would be it.

But, no XBone here, just PS4/Wii U so far.

Bought an Xbone almost primarily for that collection.

After I played the Destiny beta I kind of had the epiphany that the reason I have had more and more trouble enjoying shooters is because my mind always tries to compare them to the fun factor I had with the early Halo titles. So I'm going to resolve the problem by simply going back to the Halo titles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
destiny looks like someone built a sandbox but forgot the sand.

still having fun with diablo. also fifa this week

Destiny looks like a powerpoint at an investor meeting

1) FPS. Those are popular. So it should be that.
2) Loot. Gotta have loot! Loot makes everything better, and it's free replay value!(loot is also the thing that developers who completely don't understand the concept flub ALL the time now. Darksiders 2, I'm looking at you but not for longer than 3 minutes because you disgust me with how shitty you are.)
3) Online. Gotta have player versus player too. Space? People like Halo
4) We want it to be RPG like, but we don't want to put in a ton of effort with balancing active skills. So just make everything passive because 1 ability should be good enough.

Ok guys, go make our AAAAAAAA budget game. Something about the whole game looks like a stripped down video game experience without a proper narrative. Like, 'Do missions by killing stuff to get xp and loot to do more missions by killing stuff.' It just seems so out there, like, 'this is the treadmill you're on.' More than any other game I've played. But I hated Borderlands, so I know I'm biased against these kinds of games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well I am now confident enough to say if I died tomorrow, I and the rest of you have absolutely left legit shook in the popular lexicon. Our work is complete. It is there, and it has arrived.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And I'll say one thing for the Xbone that's kind of genius. Even though they made the Kinect-less model, the UI makes it so when I use it I'm just sitting here thinking, 'I should really get a kinect. This shit takes forever with a controller.'

jmdajr is going to kick your ass

raw vs smackdown during ruthless aggression era in gif form

QUDfW.gif

Sephzilla

And I'll say one thing for the Xbone that's kind of genius. Even though they made the Kinect-less model, the UI makes it so when I use it I'm just sitting here thinking, 'I should really get a kinect. This shit takes forever with a controller.'

Honestly both the XB1 and PS4 UI's could use a bit of an overhaul.

By replacing them with the PS3 XMB

PS4 is pretty fine outside of needing some folder and sorting options. XB1's UI isn't terrible, but it's definitely filled with a bit of Microsoft's "durrr" factor. At least it's superior to the Xbox 360's NASCAR dashboard.

Also, stiffness ain't everything. That's why I find Dump Matsumoto to be far better than Hokuto and Toyota. Yeah, Toyota, I get it. Stiff dropkicks. Tell me an engaging story like Dump/Chigusa. I don't think you can.

The hair vs hair match was pretty great storytelling from Toyota & Yamada. Also, Hokuto vs Kandori, not many people could carry someone so green to a match like that.

And yeah, stiffness isn't everything, but I don't think it's quite so easy to compare wrestlers from different generations when the wrestling in 90's AJW was so far removed from the pacing and style of matches from 80's AJW. It's like comparing Jumbo vs Tenryu to Misawa vs Kawada.

Just get rid of DGUSA, concentrate on EVOLVE and, if booking schedules allow for it, do some EVOLVE vs Dragon Gate supershows every so often. It's kinda ridiculous pretending DGUSA is still a thing when the only Japanese wrestler to come over in 2014 was Yosuke Santa Maria.

They didn't call Hokuto the 'Dangerous Queen' for nothing. Also, never shake her hand;

irP5cyZ7ZZgD6.gif
BxB Hulk will make the jump brah.m

XenoRaven

I bought a Kinect-less Xbone and then the next day went out and bought a used Kinect because of how bad the UI was to navigate with a controller.

To answer a question Seph posed earlier.

I truly believed Brock was going to win clean at Summerslam (but no, I didn't predict THAT beating he got to put on Cena).

This Sunday, I think it's perfectly plausible he will win clean again, but whether he does or doesn't (and I think it's perfectly plausible he won't) Cena is clearly going to be booked to look a lot stronger in the match this time, but that can happen with Brock still winning clean.

Main thing is... Cena isn't getting the belt. That's the one prediction I'm most confident in.

Brock hasn't been going over dirty for the last few PPVs. It's a big part of his current monster status. So I don't think it's crazy to think that after going over the Undertaker cleanly at WM, and Cena cleanly at Summerslam that he goes over Cena again cleanly in the rematch.

If DB was healthy or if Roman was ready, then I'd say a clean Brock win was a given, allowing Brock to feud with someone else, but given the roster right now I'm not sure who that would be... so I think a clean win isn't a given, because then this feud can continue for a bit longer.

I'd love to see Brock transition into a couple more dominant squashes over people that can take them without being harmed though, like Cesaro, Sheamus, or Ryback, while we wait for one of the new guys to be ready for the belt, or for DB to get healthy. Or hell, for a Rusev face turn. Because that match would be amazing.

XenoRaven

Also I don't think it's outrageous to ask people not to talk shit about Destiny in a thread about the raids. Every thread is chock full of people trying to come up with the shittiest thing they can possibly say about it. It's become super cool to hate on it.

I get it. Not everyone likes it. Thanks. I don't remind you every day how much fun I'm having with it. At least do me the courtesy of saying your piece and moving the fuck on.

Sephzilla

To answer a question Seph posed earlier.

I truly believed Brock was going to win clean at Summerslam (but no, I didn't predict THAT beating he got to put on Cena).

This Sunday, I think it's perfectly plausible he will win clean again, but whether he does or doesn't (and I think it's perfectly plausible he won't) Cena is clearly going to be booked to look a lot stronger in the match this time, but that can happen with Brock still winning clean.

Main thing is... Cena isn't getting the belt. That's the one prediction I'm most confident in.

Brock hasn't been going over dirty for the last few PPVs. It's a big part of his current monster status. So I don't think it's crazy to think that after going over the Undertaker cleanly at WM, and Cena cleanly at Summerslam that he goes over Cena again cleanly in the rematch.

If DB was healthy or if Roman was ready, then I'd say a clean Brock win was a given, allowing Brock to feud with someone else, but given the roster right now I'm not sure who that would be... so I think a clean win isn't a given, because then this feud can continue for a bit longer.

I'd love to see Brock transition into a couple more dominant squashes over people that can take them without being harmed though, like Cesaro, Sheamus, or Ryback, while we wait for one of the new guys to be ready for the belt, or for DB to get healthy. Or hell, for a Rusev face turn. Because that match would be amazing.

Cant disagree with anything here.

I guess I have the underlying fear that Vince is gonna Vince it up in some way. He couldn't go one week without having a Cena panic attack so I think even if Cena loses it will probably be a dirty finish just so Vince can go "see guys Cena is still really the best".

Also I don't think it's outrageous to ask people not to talk shit about Destiny in a thread about the raids. Every thread is chock full of people trying to come up with the shittiest thing they can possibly say about it. It's become super cool to hate on it.

I get it. Not everyone likes it. Thanks. I don't remind you every day how much fun I'm having with it. At least do me the courtesy of saying your piece and moving the fuck on.

I think there's a general backlash effect happening with the recent run of massively overhyped AAA games. We've had a pretty thick run of hyped up games that really didn't remotely live up to their marketing push (Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and now Destiny
but I think Colonial Marines really started it all
) and I think there's a larger-than-people-expect group that wants to see publishers put more money into the actual quality of the games than put money into the back pockets of gaming websites.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You've told us two days in a row now, this is becoming a habit!
I don't mean this

Alucard

Banned
Just get rid of DGUSA, concentrate on EVOLVE and, if booking schedules allow for it, do some EVOLVE vs Dragon Gate supershows every so often. It's kinda ridiculous pretending DGUSA is still a thing when the only Japanese wrestler to come over in 2014 was Yosuke Santa Maria.

They didn't call Hokuto the 'Dangerous Queen' for nothing. Also, never shake her hand;

irP5cyZ7ZZgD6.gif

I know I've asked, but...is there really NO documentary that focuses on joshi wrestling? I'd still like some kind of English language primer on the topic. Or a book..or something...anything.

I have a post you listed a while back bookmarked with a bunch of old matches, but I'd love to watch some of this stuff chronologically. Just seems like some awesome, stiff wrestling.

I wonder what would happen if Kana would join the WWE. Then again, I fear that Vince, Stephanie or Levesque would water her down. Just as I fear what would happen Kenta now if not developed properly.

Gonzalez

Banned
I know I've asked, but...is there really NO documentary that focuses on joshi wrestling? I'd still like some kind of English language primer on the topic. Or a book..or something...anything.

I'm forgetting the name, but I believe there is one about the OZ Academy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I have a post you listed a while back bookmarked with a bunch of old matches, but I'd love to watch some of this stuff chronologically. Just seems like some awesome, stiff wrestling.

There are. I can't remember the name of it right now off the top of my head but it's BRUTAL. Boots has it, I know this for sure, same with Dragonzord.

I'm forgetting the name, but I believe there is one about the OZ Academy.

I think this is the one I'm thinking of. It's pretty heartbreaking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder what would happen if Kana would join the WWE. Then again, I fear that Vince, Stephanie or Levesque would water her down. Just as I fear what would happen Kenta now if not developed properly.

Kana has like no reason to go to WWE. She makes most her money as a games journalist in Japan, and she's probably the most popular joshi in Japan right now with a much looser schedule.

Arissa or Io would be much more likely.

After sleeping on it, I've decided that there was nothing wrong at all with giving away a great match on free TV from the perspective of being a wrestling fan. The only fault you can find with it is armchair booking.

Sometimes villains should win clean. Sometimes the last match on a go home show before a PPV shouldn't predictably end with a no contest melt down.

Novelty is a good thing in wrestling says cagesideseats in their editorial about how it was a bad idea to end the match in a way no one predicted.

I think that's a pretty easy argument to tear apart.

Again, we got a decent PPV worthy match with a clean finish on free TV.

And we're complaining because it is bad business sense for the WWE to do that?

Some weird viewers we must be.

Alucard

Banned
Btw, what were the major joshi feds back in the day, and what are they now? Is it possible to follow modern joshi without going to great lengths to find the stuff?

Alucard

Banned
After sleeping on it, I've decided that there was nothing wrong at all with giving away a great match on free TV from the perspective of being a wrestling fan. The only fault you can find with it is armchair booking.

Sometimes villains should win clean. Sometimes the last match on a go home show before a PPV shouldn't predictably end with a no contest melt down.

Novelty is a good thing in wrestling says cagesideseats in their editorial about how it was a bad idea to end the match in a way no one predicted.

I think that's a pretty easy argument to tear apart.

Again, we got a decent PPV worthy match with a clean finish on free TV.

And we're complaining because it is bad business sense for the WWE to do that?

Some weird viewers we must be.

I still haven't gotten to that match. All I have in mind after last night's pro wrestling viewing is AJ Styles and The Young Bucks...

BucksDoubleTeam.gif

Aw yeah, there it is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gearing up for an immersive-ass night in DCS World. I love sims, goddammit.

somedevil

Grantland put a story up TNA detailing its current situacion. The article is called Can TNA Get Over?

http://grantland.com/features/tna-professional-wrestling-dixie-carter-jeff-jarrett-wwe/

Includes comments from AJ, Dixie, Russo, Jarrett and Cornette.

Love this quote:

A.J. Styles is quoted as saying that TNA's final contract offer to him was "insulting" and would have resulted in a roughly 40 percent pay cut. "I hate that we lost A.J.," Carter said. "Are you listening? I hate it. I felt like we gave him a great offer. I really did. I felt like we gave him a great offer and I think he made a mistake."

I don't think he made a mistake Dixie.

Also, Booby Roode was not a fan of the Dixie Carter Table Spot:

Back in June, Carter, who has played an evil authority figure on television for the past year, was powerbombed through a table by fan favorite Bully Ray. Though she suffered fractures to her L2 and L3 transverse processes in her spine and broke a rib, Carter says the injuries were worth it considering the pop of the crowd. “This place was rocking. You could probably hear it up to Times Square.”

But for TNA, what was meant to be a crowd-pleasing moment turned awkward and unsettling.9 It even jarred some of the talent in the locker room. “Seeing your boss go through a table, a female at that,” says Bobby Roode, “it kind of sets you back a little bit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Btw, what were the major joshi feds back in the day, and what are they now? Is it possible to follow modern joshi without going to great lengths to find the stuff?

AJWP was the WWE of Japan. That was the one that outdrew all the Mens organizations and sold out Tokyo Dome ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Egg_Wrestling_Universe ) If you watch some of Big Egg Wrestling Universe, it gives you a display of a lot of the top performers of that era. A lot of it, if not all, is online, but it's a 10 hour event, and it's ALL performance with some martial arts displays and midget wrestling inbetween.
JWP was the other big one.

Nowadays, there's Stardom, OZ, and Ice Ribbon. Stardom and Ice Ribbon are easier to follow than Oz, but it hangs on if the popular uploaders decide to upload them or not.

Back in the day, it was just AJW - then JWP came along in the 80's, but split into 'new' JWP and LLPW in '92. Of the three, only JWP is still around, while LLPW isn't closed, but rather inactive.

The next wave of promotions splintered from AJW or JWP in the mid-to-late 90's; GAEA, Jd', ARSION, OZ Academy & NEO, but only OZ Academy is still active. The main promotions today are STARDOM, JWP & OZ Academy, in that order, but there's a lot of other promotions like Ice Ribbon, Wave, Diana & Sendai Girls. The only one that's at all easy to follow, though, is STARDOM. Here's a recent show;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x3dpn6

*edit, beaten like a red headed stepchild.

jred2k

Grantland put a story up TNA detailing its current situacion. The article is called Can TNA Get Over?

http://grantland.com/features/tna-professional-wrestling-dixie-carter-jeff-jarrett-wwe/

Love this quote:

Just finished reading this. It was pretty interesting. It really cements that Dixie is a complete crazy person.

Dixie Carter didn’t want just a job in professional wrestling. “I wanted to run a wrestling company when I grew up,” she says in a hushed, condescending tone. “Gosh, can you imagine?”

I just wish there were recordings made of conversations between her and Russo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
See full on thread shitting in OT and nobody gets banned. What the fuck.

I think Gaming side is better than OT nowadays

Love this quote:

Just finished reading this. It was pretty interesting. It really cements that Dixie is a complete crazy person.

I just wish there were recordings made of conversations between her and Russo.

Yeah I read it earlier and man oh man Dixie, man oh man

I hope GFW is a success for Double J

Top Bottom