• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Summoner

FINN BALOR is Devitt's WWE name.
Bloody hell, they gave him a name that sounded like some jobber/nobody from Game of Thrones. Couldn't they given him a name that sounded like he came from a proud and ancient house with sigil to match?

What a wasted opportunity from creative. No wonder were they stand in ratings and stock.
WWE are fucking useless.

I don't believe that any sane person would look at the name Finn Balor and think, "yep that's a main eventer name all right."

it must be on purpose, some kind of sick sabotage.

TheBear

Finn Balor is such a nothing name, much like Hideo Tatami or whatever his name is.
Are they going out of their way to make their names as boring as possible?

Should have been Frugal Fergal McDergal, working a cheapskate gimmick

This is a missed opportunity

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was watching this old show from the 70s and they had a commercial come on where a bunch of teen guys are hanging out in the streets, and they grab baseball bats and start hitting trash cans and stuff, and the narrator says, 'Is this how we're using our boypower?'

It was a Boy Scouts of America commercial. I just couldn't stop laughing at the term boypower.

strobogo

Banned
I was watching this old show from the 70s and they had a commercial come on where a bunch of teen guys are hanging out in the streets, and they grab baseball bats and start hitting trash cans and stuff, and the narrator says, 'Is this how we're using our boypower?'

It was a Boy Scouts of America commercial. I just couldn't stop laughing at the term boypower.

You sound sexist. Are you cis scum?

Aiii

So not worth it
In Irish mythology, Balor (modern spelling: Balar) was king of the Fomorians, a group of supernatural beings. He is often described as a giant with a large eye in his forehead that wreaks destruction when opened. He has been interpreted as a god or personification of drought and blight.

Looking forward to that body paint.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You sound sexist. Are you cis scum?

wut.gif

Yeah, drop "Finn" and just call him that or hell the previously mentioned Prince Balor would work better.

I got this as a related video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HiVuxPHPQ

Wonder what they'll do with Lynch on the main roster if she gets called up and still expect Vince to get Paige's carny family or at least mother involved in an angle at some point, well if she gets more over.

Think they'll ever actually introduce women's tag titles?

strobogo

Banned
Frugal Fergal McDergal/McDevitt/McDougal
Hogan McBacklund
Pint O'Hooligan
Bono Shenanigans
Edgar O'Conner
Gavin Hardstone
Jeff Smith
Liam Murtagh
Bruce McTiernan

All better names than Finn Balor

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I discovered that there is a subset of humans(I struggle to call them humans, really) that think the 1989 Batmobile ISN'T the hypest shit of all time. And that all other Batmobiles are pale imitators (1992), complete garbage shit(Nolan) or only beloved by hipsters (1966)

Aiii

So not worth it
I discovered that there is a subset of humans(I struggle to call them humans, really) that think the 1989 Batmobile ISN'T the hypest shit of all time. And that all other Batmobiles are pale imitators (1992), complete garbage shit(Nolan) or only beloved by hipsters (1966)

Call me a hipster then, because OG TV show Batmobile is best batmobile.
Batman-TV-Series-Batmobile-550x412.jpg

movies_batmobile_history_gallery_1.jpg

Batman-TV-Series-Batmobile-Rear.jpg

Just look at it! It is drop dead gorgeous!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hypest/Fave Five Cars from TV shows or movies

5. Magnum PI Ferrari or Miami Vice Ferrari. I can never decide on those two.
4. Smokey and the Bandit car
3. Mad Max Interceptor
2. 1989 Batmobile
1. KITT

Green Hornet car is pretty good too. It's too bad Air Wolf isn't a car

Frugal Fergal McDergal/McDevitt/McDougal
Hogan McBacklund
Pint O'Hooligan
Bono Shenanigans
Edgar O'Conner
Gavin Hardstone
Jeff Smith
Liam Murtagh
Bruce McTiernan

All better names than Finn Balor

You got me with Bono Shenanigans...

They should do a british-theme week at WWE
Randolph McOrton
Paul Bigshoe
Sir Paul Levesque-Quantumberry-McNose
Vince McMahon...
"Mean" Dean fella...
and of course John Cena and His royal highness Brock Lesnar I.

Aiii

So not worth it
Fang McFrost Steve Austin is sure gonna take this industry to new heights.

Yep, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins sure are doing awful thanks to their names.

Sami Zayn will never get over without his mask or his El Generico monicker either, and the crowd sure as hell won't ever pop for Adrian Neville when he gets a match on Raw.

Am I doing this right?

All the names are so fucking dull nowadays. I'll give Roman Reigns a pass because of the alliteration and punning possibilities with his surname, but Ambrose? Rollins? Neville? So dull.

Devitt's seems OK, until you imagine Michael Cole explaining the mythology-based origins of the name on RAW - go on, imagine it. Awful.

Hasney

All the names are so fucking dull nowadays. I'll give Roman Reigns a pass because of the alliteration and punning possibilities with his surname, but Ambrose? Rollins? Neville? So dull.

Devitt's seems OK, until you imagine Michael Cole explaining the mythology-based origins of the name on RAW - go on, imagine it. Awful.

I just imagined Michael Cole talking without drowning him out and I just had a aneurysm. Thanks, Bootaaay.

Yep, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins sure are doing awful thanks to their names.

Sami Zayn will never get over without his mask or his El Generico monicker either, and the crowd sure as hell won't ever pop for Adrian Neville when he gets a match on Raw.

Am I doing this right?

The Shield names are solid. I probably scoffed at "Seth Rollins" but it ain't so bad.

Sami Zayn is ridonk but he'll always get over because he's the most natural babyface I've seen in forever. Still a wacky name. Adrian Neville is sure to be a victim of a corny Cena joke in reference to him being the "bizarro troll brother of Aaron Neville" sooner or later. Terrible name.

Wrestling is show business. Names and entrance themes matter. Rocky Maivia could never be The Rock.

The_Net sounds even better.

I've overcome this ridiculous name through sheer talent. Not all of us are born with a "Professor Beef" e-z pass through this GAF life.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Bray Wyatt is the best name WWE has come up with in forever.

Which says to me that Rotunda probably came up with it.

somedevil

Do people here realize he came up with the name right? Now it seems they let the talent decide there name. Hero came up with his name and so did Tyler Black.

Rollins is based off Henry Rollins and then he said he just choose a random first name. So everyone blaming the WWE should look at Devitt who choose this name based on it Irish lore.

Yes, but it doesn't matter who came up with it, as WWE clearly dictate that they want guys to have normal format names. Which is dull and boring when your entire roster is filled with guys with (largely) normal sounding, normal format names. Devitt's is a bit more out there, sure, but it's still that same format. Comparatively, the Divas seem to be only allowed a first name.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think anyone said, 'Fucking Triple H can't come up with names.'

Dutch Mantell came up with Steve Austin. Edge named himself Damon Striker. Maybe WWE should spend a little more time with the talent and not let things like Dolph Ziggler come into fruition.

Top Bottom