• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

RBH

9spqDI4.png

Recall

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orton is about as boring as a wet paper bag. People like to rip on ADR for his persona, but how is Orton's any better (isn't as good in the ring either, but that's another story)? . In fact, he's been this way for the last eight or so years. He's dreadful. Ever since he began feuding with Cena as a main eventer on Raw, he's gone downhill in character. He did his best stuff with Foley and Undertaker, two of the types of guys who makes others look miles better than they are. I mean, I guess he had that Christian feud that did nobody business other than his own in 2011; to which Christian carried his ass on every PPV, but I cannot think of any other notable match or program he's been in for the last several years. You say he hasn't had any stories or he wasn't treated as such, but he's been given the ball as the top guy more than anyone else not named Batista or Cena in the past ten years. And he has flopped as a big name because he's produced duds. For all the shit other guys get on the mic, Orton is bottom tier. You either gets matches with him that result in headlocks (i.e. Sheamus matches) or ones where he beats guys like RVD, Christian, Kofi, etc. by OUTTANOWHERE RKO's.

Jericho at this point does one thing. Try his best to put others over, nothing else. It's not his fault if creative/Vince do nothing with those guys after (like how he put over Kofi, Evan Bourne, Dolph Ziggler.) but they do nothing with them to follow up.

Best post I've ever seen on here and the regulars will just gloss it by.

An actual view point of view that extends beyond diva chatter and Kane.

Alucard

Banned
We've been saving for a long time. We will pay...half. The house will he ready in May.

Good stuff. We're gonna try to have at least 25 percent down, but I doubt we'll have that much. We'll see...as long as the current place doesn't drive me too crazy, I don't mind sticking it out a bit and saving.

Alucard

Banned
Best post I've ever seen on here and the regulars will just gloss it by.

An actual view point of view that extends beyond diva chatter and Kane.

I think what he's saying is that Cena doesn't actually make guys look better. He just uses them to make sure he stays over and on top. Hard to disagree.

Here's the PWI 500 for this year;

I always find this shit pretty fascinating, how the hell do they produce it? It's kayfabe, but even then it doesn't make sense - Gedo's on there. He's pretty much a full-time manager now. AHTU is on there. That's the dude who got knocked out by Low Ki at EVOLVE. He's wrestled about 3 matches in 2014. I never knew Corey Graves, the dullest man in existence, was better than Masato Tanaka, but there you go. The Great Khali > Katsuyori Shibata (there's a match I'd like to see). British wrestling is barely represented, with Doug Williams, Paige's brother, Zack Sabre Jr. and Grado. Stro's on there, though! Congrats.
Bootaaay, Bootaaay, Bootaaay, wot u doin' m8?

When are you going to realize that no one else cares about the intangibles you value so much? This list is compiled based on hard evidence, statistics, real numbers that you can see; not your personal gut instincts and what you perceive to be their level of "grit" and "heart".

This isn't gymnastics, pal. There aren't a panel of Russian judges at ringside holding up placards with 10s on them because the Young Bucks "sell good". What's their winning percentage? How many Championship titles have they won? What's their salary?

Does Masato Tanaka have more Likes on Facebook than Corey Graves? Did more cumulative viewers watch Katsuyori Shibata's segments than The Great Khali's this year?

While you and your friend Mark lose your collective shite over this magazine, take a moment to ponder this:

If those guys are so good, why aren't they in WWE?

Nice to see bean breath publicly acknowledging that John Cena is not the best wrestler in the world. Can I help you into a nice Daniel Bryan avatar friend?

Nice to see bean breath publicly acknowledging that John Cena is not the best wrestler in the world. Can I help you into a nice Daniel Bryan avatar friend?
One wrestled 2 matches and won the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania, the other was dragged down by carrying Husky Harris' lard butt and generously trying to help him make the Bray Wyatt character work.

So add Bray's rank, which he owes to Cena, to John's 3rd place finish.

tm24

Here's the PWI 500 for this year;

I always find this shit pretty fascinating, how the hell do they produce it? It's kayfabe, but even then it doesn't make sense - Gedo's on there. He's pretty much a full-time manager now. AHTU is on there. That's the dude who got knocked out by Low Ki at EVOLVE. He's wrestled about 3 matches in 2014. I never knew Corey Graves, the dullest man in existence, was better than Masato Tanaka, but there you go. The Great Khali > Katsuyori Shibata (there's a match I'd like to see). British wrestling is barely represented, with Doug Williams, Paige's brother, Zack Sabre Jr. and Grado. Stro's on there, though! Congrats.
Im trying to figure out how Terrible is 20 on that list considering he hasnt done anything at all thia year. Looking at the list, the next 2 luchadors are Mephisto and Sombra. So my guess is that they looked at the title holders and assumed importance on weight class therefore that the heavyweight belt was the most important and thus El Terrible had a great year, except that the heavyweight belt is meaningless in CMLL and Terible has a losing record this year

Watched the first of this year's Dragon Gate UK events - this is what DGUSA should be like; a yearly tour that gives fans a chance to see Dragon Gate wrestlers mix it up with native talent, rather than a half-assed attempt to build a promotion around wrestlers who can't be there for the majority of the year. I really liked YAMATO vs BxB Hulk and actually preferred it to the Kobe World match, as the shorter running time led to them keeping things more contained and, as a result, Hulk's inevitable no-sell comeback didn't feel quite so egregious. Speed Muscle vs CIMA & Susumu was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the main event of Tozawa & Ricochet vs Marty Scurll & Mark Haskins, two of the best in the UK at present. There's only five matches on the card, but I'd recommend it nonetheless.

Does Masato Tanaka have more Likes on Facebook than Corey Graves?

This is wrestling, pal. Masato Tanaka is a proven draw in his native country, for FMW and for ZERO1. Corey Graves never drew a dime. No one was paying to see Sterling James Keenan on the indies and he's hardly set the world on fire in NXT.

bean breath said:
If those guys are so good, why aren't they in WWE?

Come on, bean, use your brain. There's only so many spots on an already bloated roster. Also, no one's "losing their collective shite" over PWI, it's always ridiculous and only worth paying attention to because of its ridiculousness. Get a grip.

One wrestled 2 matches and won the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania, the other was dragged down by carrying Husky Harris' lard butt and generously trying to help him make the Bray Wyatt character work.

So add Bray's rank, which he owes to Cena, to John's 3rd place finish.

lol adding Bray's rank to Cena's makes him 9th dummy

Listen, no one hates WWE more than me but I'll be gosh darned if I'm just going to stand by and say nothing while foreigners disparage America by saying foreign wrestling is better.

jmdajr

Good stuff. We're gonna try to have at least 25 percent down, but I doubt we'll have that much. We'll see...as long as the current place doesn't drive me too crazy, I don't mind sticking it out a bit and saving.
It will be worth it. You don't want to be house poor.

Sephzilla

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orton is about as boring as a wet paper bag. People like to rip on ADR for his persona, but how is Orton's any better (isn't as good in the ring either, but that's another story)? . In fact, he's been this way for the last eight or so years. He's dreadful. Ever since he began feuding with Cena as a main eventer on Raw, he's gone downhill in character. He did his best stuff with Foley and Undertaker, two of the types of guys who makes others look miles better than they are. I mean, I guess he had that Christian feud that did nobody business other than his own in 2011; to which Christian carried his ass on every PPV, but I cannot think of any other notable match or program he's been in for the last several years. You say he hasn't had any stories or he wasn't treated as such, but he's been given the ball as the top guy more than anyone else not named Batista or Cena in the past ten years. And he has flopped as a big name because he's produced duds. For all the shit other guys get on the mic, Orton is bottom tier. You either gets matches with him that result in headlocks (i.e. Sheamus matches) or ones where he beats guys like RVD, Christian, Kofi, etc. by OUTTANOWHERE RKO's.

Jericho at this point does one thing. Try his best to put others over, nothing else. It's not his fault if creative/Vince do nothing with those guys after (like how he put over Kofi, Evan Bourne, Dolph Ziggler.) but they do nothing with them to follow up.

Great post.

The big issue with Orton, in my opinion, was that he was given too much too soon and his career has nowhere to go from here. The guy is a 13 time (?) world champion and he's not even 35 yet, so he has a lot of career left in him. The guy has absolutely no incentive to try any more.

Been playing Hyrule Warriors. Fun game but I think I would rather play DW/SW/WO instead. I think if I was a bigger Zelda fan, this game would be fantastic.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3 - C+
In Your House 4 - D+

Pretty sloppy Goldust debut. And I know everyone hates on Dean Douglas (and Shane Douglas in general), but the gimmick fit in just fine during 1995 WWF. I think he could've been a solid midcard heel, consistently vying for the IC title. I feel kind of cheated because I would've liked to see a Douglas/Michaels match. Hopefully that happens down the road.

Top Bottom