• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Zach

I have some family in Borger, Texas, which makes me feel a kinship with Stan Hansen. I look forward to the podcast.

P.S. Borger is a crappy town. Take that, family and Stan Hansen!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Every time I watch the Story of Ricky fatalities, I think, 'This is a frame to frame recreation of what Haku did to those cops at that bar irl.'

Gonzalez

Banned
Guys, don't watch Halloween Havoc 1995. It's truly awful.
WATCH IT! At least just to hear Mean Gene clarify that the woman that looks underage during the motorcycle giveaway is Maniac Mike's fiancée. Although I'm still not sure if she is underage, or not.

Aiii

So not worth it
Former WWE star Evan Bourne and his brother Mike Sydal have both turned down deals for the new El Rey Network Lucha Underground series that AAA is involved with. We noted before that The Young Bucks and Frankie Kazarian also turned down deals. Many wrestlers are hesitant to sign with the series due to the terms of the deal and the discrepancy in pay being offered to various talents.

Former WWE Tough Enough participant Martin Casaus has signed on for the series. Former WWE creative writer Chris "Big Dick Johnson" DeJoseph will be working on production for the series. Indie stars Ricky Reyes and B-Boy have also signed on for the project. El Rey previously announced Luchadores Fenix, Pentagon Jr., Sexy Star, Drago and Blue Demon Jr.

Other names confirmed to have been offered deals include John Morrison, Konnan, Hernandez, Ricochet, Joey Ryan, Candace LeRae, Rocky Romero, Scorpio Sky, Matt Cross and Ivelisse Velez. As noted, Chavo Guerrero was also offered a deal and is expected to wrestle as well as work backstage. Tapings begin this weekend so El Rey was trying to get a majority of the deals signed yesterday.

Save us El Rey.

Sephzilla

So there was a bit of WWE revisionist history going on with the DX Monday Night Wars bit, but there was one thing that I did agree with. The nWo during their prime did nothing but beat people up while DX frequently ended up getting beat up. In the big picture DX probably did more to help WWF than the nWo helped WCW.

The nWo was more popular group without question but I'd argue that DX was a better wrestling faction.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is Big Dick Johnson responsible for any storylines I'd be familiar with?

Started working there in August of 2004 until November of 2010 apparently and worked primarily on Smackdown under Hayes, did find this:
What were some of your favorite angles that you worked on while you were there?

My favorite angles that I worked on would probably be Jeff Hardy vs. Edge, Undertaker vs. Edge, Just about everyone vs. Edge, Matt Hardy vs. MVP, Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk, there were too many fun angles to remember. I always enjoyed working with Shawn Michaels.

Hey Rafa. Veronica Lane posted this to Twitter:

The dream is dead, brah.
There is freedom within
There is freedom without
Try to catch a deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead
Many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of yhe road
While you are traveling with me

Hey now, hey now
Dont dream its over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win

:( :( :(

- Sinn Bodhi (Kizarny) posted the following update on Jake Roberts on Tuesday evening:

"UPDATE on Jake The Snake Roberts: Great news!... Docs took Jake off ventilator way earlier then expected! He is kicking ass on his spirometer breathing tests...If he keeps up this pace he will not need to go back on Ventilator so everyone please cross your fingers! Jake finally can speak for the first time since last Wed... Late last night (while still ventilated & unable to speak) one of the male nurses took a bandage off of Jake's neck where they have tubes for his meds... It was so unpleasant to Jake he wrote on the pad they gave him three letters... DDT... Even though Jake is off of the ventilator for the time being he will be monitored for 24-48 hours before docs decide if it is safe to keep him off. Once Jake could speak he wanted steak, milkshakes, eggs & donuts... He is only allowed to get his nutrients intraveinously for the time being... Jake even joked that he would do anything for a donut if he had to... The nurses still said no donuts to which Jake replied with his favorite gesture I think he was trying to say 'you're #1' but I could be wrong?!... One of Jake's sons flew in to help out but Jake insisted I show him a good time while he rests tonight... Soooo. Zombie Burlesque, here we come! ‪#‎GetBetterJake‬"

Aiii

So not worth it
Did anyone ever find out why the Comics thread gets to stay in Off-topic as literally the only mainstay community thread when even the mildest long stay threads get moved to Community shortly after they're created?

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not even because it's a comic either, because Manga-GAF did get moved to community, how weird.

BFIB

So there was a bit of WWE revisionist history going on with the DX Monday Night Wars bit, but there was one thing that I did agree with. The nWo during their prime did nothing but beat people up while DX frequently ended up getting beat up. In the big picture DX probably did more to help WWF than the nWo helped WCW.

The nWo was more popular group without question but I'd argue that DX was a better wrestling faction.

HBK and HHH played the sophmore level douches perfectly.

Started working there in August of 2004 until November of 2010 apparently and worked primarily on Smackdown under Hayes, did find this:

I'm not sure how aware people are of Smackdown during this time period, but it was imho regularly the better show than RAW. All the LaFamilia stuff was gold. King Booker was gold. I know many ignored it during the brand split, but it was more relevant than it is now.

I'm not sure how aware people are of Smackdown during this time period, but it was imho regularly the better show than RAW. All the LaFamilia stuff was gold. King Booker was gold. I know many ignored it during the brand split, but it was more relevant than it is now.

King Booker was great, except for the Boogeyman feud

La Familia was awful outside of Vickie and Edge

Penguin

And that's why the nWo angle could never evolve.

They would get punked by one dude from the rafters and beat down everyone else, which is fine... if you ever have the big blow-off moment, but they completely butchered that with the wonky Starcade 97 ending and everything that followed that.

Sephzilla

And that's why the nWo angle could never evolve.

They would get punked by one dude from the rafters and beat down everyone else, which is fine... if you ever have the big blow-off moment, but they completely butchered that with the wonky Starcade 97 ending and everything that followed that.

Yep. Crow Sting should have cleanly beat Hogan and that should have ended the nWo.

Carnby

Agreed. These two were so annoying yet awesome. After Shawn departed, and a new DX formed, it was still good, but not nearly as "legit" annoying and Shawn and HHH were.

Edit: plus it helped that I was bored of HBK's post WM12 face run. That was so dull.

Gonzalez

Banned
Kurosawa Vs. Arn Anderson, the debut of Disco Inferno's hit music video, and it's all on WCW Saturday Night. FUCK YOU VINCE!!!

Striker

They always talk about DX but there's been three (four?) levels of it. The original with Shawn, Rude, Chyna, and Triple H (you say they played these guys perfectly but you have to remember this is coke Shawn you're talking about). The larger one with Outlaws and X-Pac including Chyna and Triple H. And the last ones with simply Hunter and Shawn where they did nothing but make poop and draw 'cocks' on the screen. Its humor was the worst.

Smackdown was on the decline then, but in 2005-2006 it was still miles better. No Cena and no terrible version of DX.

DMczaf

One thing they did point out that was true, the original DX was so great because they were just 2 pissed off young dudes. Everything they did came from a place of real anger. You could tell no fucks were given.

BFIB

One thing they did point out that was true, the original DX was so great because they were just 2 pissed off young dudes. Everything they did came from a place of real anger. You could tell no fucks were given.

Yeah, you had HHH who felt slighted since he was singled out on the whole Madison Square Garden scene. Then HBK, who really just did not give a shit at all, except for his credit card and small mirror for his locker room.

Ithil

So Triple H is on Jericho's podcast this week. I don't listen to Jericho much unless he has a really solid guest because he's much more annoying than someone like Austin who is a joy to listen to even on his own on radio.

I'll check this one out, though. HHH is usually pretty great in interviews. I still want Vince on Austin's podcast, though.

joelseph

So Triple H is on Jericho's podcast this week. I don't listen to Jericho much unless he has a really solid guest because he's much more annoying than someone like Austin who is a joy to listen to even on his own on radio.

I'll check this one out, though. HHH is usually pretty great in interviews. I still want Vince on Austin's podcast, though.

Please report back the timestamp Jericho stops trumpeting himself and starts the actual interview. =)

Starts at 19 minutes.

Haven't checked jericho's podcast in a while. Liked the one with the one Kiss relief guitarist a few months ago, he seemed really chill and now there's another part of that saga with Ace Frehley.

DMczaf

Jericho has the best guests on his podcast.

3hfail_medium.gif

King Booker was great, except for the Boogeyman feud

La Familia was awful outside of Vickie and Edge

To be fair, the Vickie and Edge stuff was the bulk of the angle, and they were awesome.

Also, this little guy in my avatar would come running whenever Queen Sharmell hailed Booker down to the ring. No matter where he was, no matter how bad his cancer was or how he was doing on his meds (poor guy didn't make it to 1 year old), he would run to listen to Sharmell and see Booker's entrance.

The whole King Booker angle will always remind me of little Max there, and always make me smile.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I HATE AUSTIN X 1000

Sephzilla

Yeah, you had HHH who felt slighted since he was singled out on the whole Madison Square Garden scene. Then HBK, who really just did not give a shit at all, except for his credit card and small mirror for his locker room.

Original DX = This product sucks, so lets see how far we can push things until we get fired.

Post HBK DX = College frat party kind of limit pushing (which was also entertaining)

PG DX = A great TV sitcom that sticks around for one season too long.

When they brought the nWo over to WWF I still wish an original DX vs original nWo feud would have happened

Did DX ever have a proper face turn or did it just... kind of happen like... they were being cheered and went with it?

I think when HHH took over DX and brought in X-Pac & the Outlaws that was more or less their proper face turn, at least by Attitude Era standards. HHHBK DX were heels who just got cheered.

Eh HHH interview is kind of a snooze, he'll get into his work with the rock and jericho himself on friday. Should be better.

He has a line about how they all used to make fun of terra ryzing but "would tell him that they'd still go to vince and say he's got something and to pick him up" hmm....no wonder him and bret never got along, so similar :p

BFIB

The invasion angle could have been the biggest angle ever. Too bad it got shit on and became a McMahonathon

Striker

PG DX = A great TV sitcom that sticks around for one season too long.
Thing is, it wasn't PG. It was still in 2006 and were doing cock jokes most of the time. Always looked it as a try-hard to be funny thing, and came off really bad.

jbsh1fuNhC7UuS.JPG

It led to a feud with Rated RKO, though, so that was okay.

I think when HHH took over DX and brought in X-Pac & the Outlaws that was more or less their proper face turn, at least by Attitude Era standards. HHHBK DX were heels who just got cheered.
No more than 'Taker or Austin at the time. Hunter definitely didn't. Bret and Shawn got their fair share even though both were heels. Bret doing the anti-American thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nobody gave a shit if you beat up DX though. They were a wrestling sideshow at best. Even at their 'most pushed' they never felt important.

So no, no way in hell would I say they were a 'better faction.' NWO revitalized Hogan, and it built up Hall, Nash, and Steiner. They changed the way gimmicks worked, and they added a grit to wrestling that you only really saw in Memphis previously.

DX was a jobber stable that had main eventers in it. I don't mean jobbers because they lost, I mean jobbers because they felt like nothing. All their angles, storylines, and matches were piss breaks quality.

Updated EVOLVE cards;

EVOLVE 34, 09/13, Queens, NY
-EVOLVE Title Match: Drew Galloway defends vs. Rich Swann
-DGUSA Open The United Gate Championship Match: Harlem & Lancelot Bravado defend vs. The Colony of Fire Ant & Green Ant
-Uhaa Nation vs. Roderick Strong
-Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher
-Plus: DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Champion Ricochet, Johnny Gargano, The Premier Athlete Brand of Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley w/Su Yung & Mr. A, and others!!!

EVOLVE 35, 09/14, Brooklyn, NY
-DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Championship Match: Ricochet defends vs. Uhaa Nation
-Non-Title: EVOLVE Champion Drew Galloway vs. Roderick Strong
-Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Biff Busick
-Plus: DGUSA Open The United Gate Champions The Bravado Brothers, Johnny Gargano, The Premier Athlete Brand of Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley w/Su Yung & Mr. A, Rich Swann, Timothy Thatcher, Drew Gulak, and others!!!

All the announced matches look good so far, except for The Bravados vs The Colony - I like the Bravados as an undercard comedy act, but there's no good reason for having them as your tag champs.

Top Bottom