• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

This is pretty great. If you are in Austin, or really anywhere in Texas, I think you know where you wanna be on Oct.5.

Inspire Pro in Austin is promoting a big, crazy show with Chikara...

ijPcPZbUd7lUl.jpg

Scot Summers v. Teddy Hart for the World Class Title is just amazing booking. Two crazy men clashing. Nobody can possibly know what will happen.

The Colony vs. Jojo Bravo and ACH is something I never thought I would see, but now that I know I'm going to see it, it's all I want to see and all I can think about.

Chikara Grand Champion Icarus v. Inspire Pro Champion "Dirty" Andy Dalton should be a wonderful display of top-level douchery. Dalton is one of my favorite wrestlers in 2014, and easily my breakout heel of the year. It surprised everyone last week when he won the title, and his crowd heat is as hot as anybody I've seen lately.

This card is just loaded with fun.

I don't want to sound like a shill, but if you are in the area, and haven't checked out an Inspire Pro show yet, this would be as good a time as any. They run a really fun show. It's a different product than the Anarchy shows across town, and for me, has become way more of a "must-see" show every month than ACW. (And if you've seen my past posts about ACW, you'll know that's a pretty big deal for me to say.) Plus, they run in one of the probably "top five" nicer venues in the country for Indy Pro Wrasslin', IMO.

TL21xx

Banned
This is pretty great. If you are in Austin, or really anywhere in Texas, I think you know where you wanna be on Oct.5.

Inspire Pro in Austin is promoting a big, crazy show with Chikara...

ijPcPZbUd7lUl.jpg

I just might go check this out, I've been talking about checking out Inspire pro with one of my friends and my brothers, and this seems like a good way to get introduced to their product. Thanks for the heads up Pristine!

somedevil

It seems Lucha Underground wants naming rights as well because known talent have new names.

John Morrison is now Johnny Mundo
Ricochet is now Prince Puma

lol

Does the Chikara-ness of the card mean it's going to be a PG show or are the non-Chikara matches going to be less than appropriate for a five year-old who can decide at the drop of a hat to repeat anything she heard no matter how long ago she heard it? For example, we went to Raw before Summerslam, and to this day she will just suddenly say "I'm gonna tear John Cena limb from limb."

Vylash

Cesaro would be a no brainer if the last few months didn't happen

Ambrose would be nice once he's done with Rollins

Maybe turn someone like Bray or something

I just might go check this out, I've been talking about checking out Inspire pro with one of my friends and my brothers, and this seems like a good way to get introduced to their product. Thanks for the heads up Pristine!

Do it! I'll be there for sure, so let me know and maybe we can grab a beer.

Just a head's-up though...front row is already more than half sold. Tickets went on sale last night. If you don't reserve front row, you definitely want to get in line early to get a seat.

They have actually been "standing room only" the last three shows. They have room for at least double the crowd that they draw--they just don't have the chairs. They know this is a problem and are working to get more seating, but This is what I'd do: If you don't reserve a seat, and you can't be early, I'd bring lawn chairs along if you can just to be sure.

Other things to know about Inspire Pro shows:

1) Inspire Pro shows START with a really good match. So you wanna be there for that. They adopted this "all killer-no filler" slogan and they actually mean it. The curtain-jerker has often been arguably the second or third-best match on the card in recent shows.

2) If you are in the first few rows, you'll want to be aware that there are no barricades and you and your guests may need to move at a moment's notice to avoid wrestlers flying to the outside. If you or any of your crew are disabled and/or can't move quickly for whatever reason, try to stick to chairs near the ends of aisles.

3) There is a bar available, as well as snacks and pizza by the slice. They get pretty mobbed at intermission, but you can get in and out pretty quick during the matches and stock up.

4) If you've been to ACW; This is not Anarchy. ACW shows are VERY different than Inspire Pro shows. ACW is much grittier, dirtier, and maybe a little bit stuck in the 90s. ACW requires the fans to put up with a lot - sitting outside in sometimes terrible weather, the worst possible lighting when it gets dark, constant no-shows and other "Indy crap," and often the tone can be dark and hateful. Inspire Pro shows are a very modern, fun Indy that is very serious about not taking itself too seriously and entertaining the fans. They are constantly trying to make the shows and the production top-notch. No-shows are VERY rare, and they always deliver something else if that happens. They really seem to care about the fans being happy and comfortable and about being an inclusive community. Every month they improve or polish something in their production and/or what they can do to make the fan experience better. It's very impressive production for a promotion that's only been around for a year. The tone of Inspire shows is very modern and fun, clearly influenced a lot by stuff like PWG, Dragon Gate, and Chikara, but is also rooted in classic Texas and Southern booking. Like right now they are doing the classic "heels on top/babyfaces chasing" structure just about as well as any old Texas or Deep South promotion I've seen.

5) The American Psycho Lance Hoyt (Archer - New Japan) is going to MURDER the internet's Brandon Stroud one of these days at Inspire Pro. It's going to happen. The only question is "when?"

6) Inspire Pro has a women's division, called the XX Division. And it's great. They run shows where like half the shows on the card are women's matches and there's a women's match in the main event that really deserves to be a main event.

Alucard

Banned
Sad to hear about the Michael Elgin drama if it's true. They looked like they were going to build around him for a while but pulled the rug out before he could really get going.

Striker

Honestly WWE hasn't built up anyone I can think of
Accurate.

Booking for the past six months for many hasn't been good, some even longer.

So you could easily had thrown in guys like Shoe, Henry, Cesaro, Ryback and Big E had they not just be merely invisible for so long. Possibly throw in Ambrose once he's done with Rollins, and he fights as this scrappy guy who doesn't go down - Lesnar would make it look good.

kiguel182

Well they are low on top Babyfaces. With Lesnar new contract it seems he is doing all the pay per views.

So who would you choose for the next 3 after Cena?

Turn Bray face - 1

Ambrose - 2

Cesaro maybe.

They all would benefit from just being in the same ring as Lesnar.

Big Show is just wasting Lesnar and boring me to death.

Hasney

Turn Bray face - 1

Ambrose - 2

Cesaro maybe.

They all would benefit from just being in the same ring as Lesnar.

Big Show is just wasting Lesnar and boring me to death.

Well, get used to it. It'll probably be Mizark after that.

Was thinking about Daniel Bryan. If he can get back early December, I think he should have the Rumble title match. Make it the most even match so far with Bryan getting close, but Lesnar just decimating him in the end. Maybe even a post match beat down. Then have him come out at the Rumble at number 12 or something, bandaged up like he was at Mania and get down to the last 2, but the guy he eliminated before that causes him to get eliminated and makes it their feud going into Mania 31. Cesaro? That would be fun.

Plus, if Brock and Bryan were to cross again, they could say he had ring rust or something to build up for the new match.

Mike 'Hack' Johnson's take on the Michael Elgin situation:

MICHAEL ELGIN-RING OF HONOR UPDATE
by Mike Johnson @ 4:25 PM on 9/7/2014

Since Michael Elgin lost the ROH title last night to Jay Briscoe at Ring of Honor's All Star Extravaganza iPPV, there have been a number of stories floating around regarding Elgin's status with the company. Here is what we know:

*As of this writing, Michael Elgin is still signed to a ROH contract and is not done with the company. Elgin is one of the talents who signed a new, exclusive deal awhile back that gave him a full-time salary while also giving the company the right to approve and deny independent dates that Elgin was offered to work.

*There are stories floating around that the company was not happy that Elgin didn't do more to protect the ROH title while working the independents, specifically a loss to Trevor Lee during the PWG Battle of Los Angeles tournament last week. On the surface, that certainly looks like something that ROH would be logically upset with. Since the company was first formed in 2002, they went well out of their way to protect the credibility of the championship and always asked whoever held that belt to not do jobs on the independent so. So, I do believe this to be correct, although I want to note that no one from ROH has confirmed that to me. But, if you put a gun to my head, I'd tell you that I do believe it factored into the decision.

*Another factor, which probably was a far greater concern is that according to several sources, Elgin's work visa for the United States expired and wasn't renewed early enough. I am told the responsibility for that falls on Elgin's shoulders. Not having the work visa renewed meant that Elgin, who is Canadian, was not going to be able to return to the United States after traveling from the States to Toronto for last night's iPPV. Elgin has already canceled a date with AIW in Cleveland tonight, citing paperwork issues with his visa. The word making the rounds is it might take up to 90 days to get all of Elgin's paperwork back in order. With ROH having 8 live events, including three TV tapings in the next few months, they couldn't be without their champion. So, a title switch was in order if they wanted their champion in the mix building to Final Battle in NYC.

I was told that Jay Briscoe winning the belt was not the original plan for the iPPV, so obviously something changed. However, Elgin's status with the company, as of this writing, has not.

Top Bottom