• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

tumblr_nbk5mpAUDU1thrpy4o1_500.jpg

strobogo

Banned
ibkQCpp5UuqfT9.gif

This had about 20 extra frames of Freddy popping out and then the program had an error and closed. Mother fucker.

EDIT: Updated to be more shocking.

Ultratech

lol @ that Total Divas promo

Coming this season:

-Drama!
-More Drama!
-Even More Drama!
-Sexy Time!
-Brie Mode: Revengeance!
-DB Poppin' his Neck
-Fighting!
-Wrassin' (somehow)
-Brie asking her sister for money because quitting was such a good idea. (all of the lols)
-Heel Turns!
-Swerves!
-Betrayals!
-Partying!
-Lots of Drinking!
-Possibly more!

(I started running out of stuff to list. Also, I increased my Internets by x4 so there's that.)

That was hilarious. If we don't work we don't get paid. I guess Bryan has the TNA get paid per appearance contract. Also, is the Natalya and Tyson storyline line for NXT? lol

They also apparently pay like shit because he's living paycheck to paycheck. A guy who thought he was making a ton of money working the indies.

NYR

After Wrestlemania, Daniel Bryan will appear on more episodes of Total Divas than Episodes of Raw.

If I said that after Wrestlemania, I would be laughed off GAF PERMANENTLY.

Sabucin

LOL I just read about
Elgin losing his title
I'm glad that fat piece of garbage had lost! Although I'm not so happy with the current champ (a damn bigot), but still.

After Wrestlemania, Daniel Bryan will appear on more episodes of Total Divas than Episodes of Raw.

If I said that after Wrestlemania, I would be laughed off GAF PERMANENTLY.

Nah, that's about on par with most things people would say in this board.

Daniel Bryan auditioning for Qui-Gon Jin in the new Star Wars movie

tumblr_nbk6f6oQii1srbyoyo1_1280.png

That Qui Gon hair is badass. Bryan should keep that shit. Samurai Hardcore Dragon Motherfucker.

That's what Bryan needed to be. That motherfucker.

Also on the banned from the US front;

Besides Elgin, Seleziya Sparx is apparently banned too. While Elgin is out for 90 days, she is apparently banned for much longer.

12 minutes in to this Total Divas episode and I don't see Michael Hayes.

Cancellation imminent.

Also, E's sound mixing is horrible. Why is it so much better in the Network?

Alucard

Banned
Also on the banned from the US front;

Besides Elgin, Seleziya Sparx is apparently banned too. While Elgin is out for 90 days, she is apparently banned for much longer.

Shit. :( Seleziya is awesome. Really attractive and can take some hard bumps when necessary.

Alucard

Banned
Hey guys, how exactly does the WWE performance center make money? If the WWE takes care of these guys and sets them up, how do they turn a profit? Do guys have to pay a fee to get in, or do they just count on Full Sail ticket sales or what?

Hey guys, how exactly does the WWE performance center make money? If the WWE takes care of these guys and sets them up, how do they turn a profit? Do guys have to pay a fee to get in, or do they just count on Full Sail ticket sales or what?

Performance Center isn't about making money in that way. It's about training people in their style, which is essentially just like school. Promo practice, wrestling practice, TV match practice, etc etc etc.
Once they get called up, that's where they make WWE money.

Developmental people don't make a ton of money, and Full Sail doesn't charge for tickets. It absolutely benefits Full Sail though (since their students get live event production experience), so they're cool with having the stuff there. It's a very good partnership. And the State of Florida gave money to make the Performance Center too, IIRC

strobogo

Banned
I tried Deadly Premonition. Is it a PS1 game? I can't believe a game with those graphics and those controls was released in 2010. Even the Directors Cut looks like a PC game from 2002.

It doesn't make money. It's a minor league system to pump out future profit when they call guys up. It's one big expense

Alucard

Banned
It doesn't make money. It's a minor league system to pump out future profit when they call guys up. It's one big expense

Damn. Crazy to think about it that way.

I'm asking because I'm listening to the Triple H interview with Jericho, and it just sort of came to me.

Really weird that they would set something up THAT big and pay guys to be there and work out.

Alucard

Banned
The last 4 Jericho podcasts have been fantastic. The two Batista episodes and the two Triple H episodes were really informative and interesting. Loved Triple H talking about Metallica and Lemmy, and saying "Everybody's a mark for something."

Really weird that they would set something up THAT big and pay guys to be there and work out.

The Performance Center and NXT are long-term investments to make sure they're TV ready before they get called up. It really bodes well for the future if that's what Trips is bringing to the table.

Remember, OVW/FCW were basically the same thing, just with no budget. With both, it means better training, which means better workers.

10 minutes was enough for me to never want to play it again.

Get back in there, motherfucker

The last 4 Jericho podcasts have been fantastic. The two Batista episodes and the two Triple H episodes were really informative and interesting. Loved Triple H talking about Metallica and Lemmy, and saying "Everybody's a mark for something."

Yup, just look at Stro. Dude is a bigger mark for booze than DM is for War Games.

Damn. Crazy to think about it that way.

I'm asking because I'm listening to the Triple H interview with Jericho, and it just sort of came to me.

I don't think the devil mental guys get payed that much . Plus it gives them better control over their system rather than rely on indies like OVW and FCW. Minor league baseball teams don't make money but serve the same purpose

strobogo

Banned
The Performance Center and NXT are long-term investments to make sure they're TV ready before they get called up. It really bodes well for the future if that's what Trips is bringing to the table.

Remember, OVW/FCW were basically the same thing, just with no budget. With both, it means better training, which means better workers.

Get back in there, motherfucker

Nah. Nah brah. Nah.

Developmental will always be a loss leader. They're losing more money on the performance center than they were on developmental previously, but the idea is to have better trained athletes that will draw them more money to make it worth it.

Alucard

Banned
Gonna give JR's podcast another shot. Curious about the Stan Hansen interview. Last one I listened to was the Sting 2-parter, and I found it kind of bland.

Haven't listened to Austin or Colt in months, and I've never bothered to check out anything by Piper or Goldberg.

Oh, and ya'll should all check out The Old School Wrestling podcast. Their website is flairchop.com. Pretty fun and funny stuff. They review old PPVS and talk about old angles.

Alucard

Banned
Developmental will always be a loss leader. They're losing more money on the performance center than they were on developmental previously, but the idea is to have better trained athletes that will draw them more money to make it worth it.

For sure. Is it working though?

-Bray Wyatt
-Harper and Rowan
-Shield (3 dudes)
-Emma
-Paige
-Bo Dallas
-Xavier Woods

...okay, not bad.

JavyOO7

Man, watching the third Nitro and all I want is Ric Flair to be world champ at that point. He's well received by the fans on this interview he's doing with Mean Gene, the night before he had a great match with AA and Hogan is just the worst.

At Fall Brawl I just laughed my butt off for a minute straight because Hogan came in and threw freaking powder at the opposing team's faces. He's done plenty of heel stuff at that point but watching that was just absurd. At least the Giant showed him what's what at the end of War Games, brother.

Third Nitro starts up with the American Males supposed to take on Regal and his partner but they get jumped by Harlem Heat. Heat then tell the AM that HH is the shit and they'll put the belts on the line. After a short match, the American Males win. While that is pretty cool during the time period, and it is now, it still sucks seeing that at that point HH only held the titles for 24 hours.

None of those guys have drawn them any considerable money yet so it's still up in the air. The Shield and Wyatt are the most promising obviosuly. None of them have had their moments in the spotlight to say though. Besides, none of those guys are performance center guys. Most were FCW with a little fine tuning in NXT.

Man, watching the third Nitro and all I want is Ric Flair to be world champ at that point. He's well received by the fans on this interview he's doing with Mean Gene, the night before he had a great match with AA and Hogan is just the worst.

At Fall Brawl I just laughed my butt off for a minute straight because Hogan came in and threw freaking powder at the opposing team's faces. He's done plenty of heel stuff at that point but watching that was just absurd. At least the Giant showed him what's what at the end of War Games, brother.

Third Nitro starts up with the American Males supposed to take on Regal and his partner but they get jumped by Harlem Heat. Heat then tell the AM that HH is the shit and they'll put the belts on the line. After a short match, the American Males win. While that is pretty cool during the time period, and it is now, it still sucks seeing that at that point HH only held the titles for 24 hours.

Give it a few Nitros and especially Halloween Havoc and Hogan is a full on heel to most of the fans.

strobogo

Banned

Don't worry. HH won the titles back 9 days later on a weekend show and it wasn't mentioned for months. The only way you'd know from watching Nitro and PPVs is because a graphic for Saturday Night had them with the belts. I'm on the Nitro after WW3 and HH regaining the titles still hasn't been mentioned on Nitro. Harlem Heat hasn't even been on Nitro since then. They weren't at Halloween Havoc either.

Zach

I tried Deadly Premonition. Is it a PS1 game? I can't believe a game with those graphics and those controls was released in 2010. Even the Directors Cut looks like a PC game from 2002.

I played, like, half an hour and gave up. Months later, before completely forgetting about it, I tried one more time. I set aside a couple of hours and went for it. It was well worth it. Maybe top five last gen.

Don't worry. HH won the titles back 9 days later on a weekend show and it wasn't mentioned for months. The only way you'd know from watching Nitro and PPVs is because a graphic for Saturday Night had them with the belts. I'm on the Nitro after WW3 and HH regaining the titles still hasn't been mentioned on Nitro. Harlem Heat hasn't even been on Nitro since then. They weren't at Halloween Havoc either.

They were in the WW3 Battle Royal though. I'm watching Nitro basically exactly as you are and that was weird to me too.

Also this Diamond Doll storyline is so misogynistic it's ridiculous.

Alucard

Banned
Prowrestling.net report saying that Elgin's border situation didn't factor into his dropping the title. Elgin allegedly blames ROH officials for part of this situation. Also, Elgin and his wife were stopped at the border after the show. Elgin is staying in Canada until he gets his shit sorted, and Ms. Chif is back in the States since she's a citizen.

He was apparently pulled into a meeting before ASE6 and told they didn't like him expressing a desire to play baseball, nor him losing a match in PWG while still ROH champ. Apparently, the plan was for Elgin to have a lengthy title reign, but that has quickly changed with his public declaration of wanting to play baseball and losing in a PWG match.

#kayfabe
#protecttheprestigeofthetitle

strobogo

Banned
They were in the WW3 Battle Royal though. I'm watching Nitro basically exactly as you are and that was weird to me too.

Also this Diamond Doll storyline is so misogynistic it's ridiculous.

During this same time, Sting was the US Champion and didn't have the belt with him for about a full month, nor was he even mentioned as being the US Champion, except during a Kensuki Sasaki/Benoit match where Bischoff said Sasaki had a shot against Sting in Japan. And Sasaki beat Sting for the title, he wasn't on the next Nitro, and it wasn't mentioned on Nitro at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
During this same time, Sting was the US Champion and didn't have the belt with him for about a full month, nor was he even mentioned as being the US Champion, except during a Kensuki Sasaki/Benoit match where Bischoff said Sasaki had a shot against Sting in Japan. And Sasaki beat Sting for the title, he wasn't on the next Nitro, and it wasn't mentioned on Nitro at all.

Was Nitro live during this or did they bring back taping shenanigans?

njean777

Ohh will listen to the Triple H episodes, and possibly the Batista ones.

Alucard

Banned
Anyone listen to Austin's interview with Kamala? I have it downloaded. Hope it's worth it. I know he was a legit monster heel at one point.

tm24

Prowrestling.net report saying that Elgin's border situation didn't factor into his dropping the title. Elgin allegedly blames ROH officials for part of this situation. Also, Elgin and his wife were stopped at the border after the show. Elgin is staying in Canada until he gets his shit sorted, and Ms. Chif is back in the States since she's a citizen.

He was apparently pulled into a meeting before ASE6 and told they didn't like him expressing a desire to play baseball, nor him losing a match in PWG while still ROH champ. Apparently, the plan was for Elgin to have a lengthy title reign, but that has quickly changed with his public declaration of wanting to play baseball and losing in a PWG match.

#kayfabe
#protecttheprestigeofthetitle

Man, he's just putting over future ROH champ Trevor Lee. What's the big deal?

JavyOO7

Ah yeah. Cena says "ass" and he sounds awfully corny. Ric Flair says it in Nitro 95 and he says it with so much swag. All that swag. Swag that Sina doesn't have. Yesssir.

Top Bottom