• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

DMczaf

tumblr_msu3mtdThx1qan6peo4_400.gif

Tonight!

September 13 is the date of the 80th anniversary del Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre.

The card is the following:

1) CMLL vs NJPW: Fuego, Rey Cometa, Stuka VS Ishii, Okumura, Namajague

2) Titán, Máximo, Brazo de Plata VS Niebla Roja, Euforia, Mephisto

3) Relevos Increíbles: Terrible, Shocker, Negro Casas VS Vangelis, Marco Corleone, Rush

4) Hair vs Hair: Averno vs Blue Panther

5) Mask match, one fall, the winning team faces each other in a mask vs mask match: Atlantis y Ultimo Guerrero vs Sombra y Volador Jr.

6) Mask vs mask: Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero or Sombra vs Volador Jr.

Yo can watch the event live at:

http://deportes.terra.com.mx/en-vivo/16083/

Lets hope the stream works

Bray Wyatt's theme isn't the best opening bassline I've heard this year though...

Fifth on The Floor - Burnin' Nashville Down (w/ intro The Last Opry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3t6vFKhNg8

Have you listen to Delaney Davidson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4sCewnr5BQ

The other day he was in a bar in Tijuana playing and he was amazing.

I was really surprised when I found he is a one man band.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I haven't decided which version to get. The differences will probably be negligible and I want to let my gold subscription lapse so I might go PS3. Help!

PS3 for me. Mainly so I don't have to soil my precious Japanese 360 with non-shmup games, but also because I ain't paying for gold.

Tomorrow;

NJPW, "ROAD TO DESTRUCTION", 2013.09.14
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

18:30 Japan | 10:30 UK | 05:30 East Coast | 02:30 West Coast

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

01. Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi) vs Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka
02. Tiger Mask & BUSHI vs Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
03. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Takaaki Watanabe vs CHAOS (Yujiro Takahashi, Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI)
04. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Captain New Japan vs BULLET CLUB (Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson & Bad Luck Fale)
05. Special Tag Match: CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Toru Yano) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton 'X' Benjamin)
06. CMLL World Tag Team Titles: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (c) vs BULLET CLUB (Tama Tonga & Rey Bucanero)
07. Special Tag Match: Satoshi Kojima & Tetsuya Naito vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Masato Tanaka)

That main event should be a ton of fun.

jmdajr

Breaking Bad fandom is looking more and more like wrestling fandom all time. People over in that thread hoping certain characters get buried or pushed, being totally upset if things don't go *exactly* the way they want it too.

Fuckin marks

I like that show and as such, have never stepped into that thread. It will just ruin the whole experience.

I do love you all however!

strobogo

Banned
I'm 360, but I let my Live lapse since I really only used it for all the video stuff, but now I don't need it since I have my TV and PC connected. I don't like playing online and still don't get the appeal of it. Local multiplayer or bust, but I prefer full solo games and hate that so many games emphasize multiplayer at the expense of solo.

GolazoDan

I'm 360 for GTA. Let's roll!

What time's the CMLL show at, UK time? I really wanna watch it. I think Ultimo Guerrero's losing his mask and that makes me sad, although maybe it's time. When I first started watching lucha it was Mistico vs. Perrito as a singles feud and Los Guerreros wrecking shit as a tag team so Ultimo's always been one of my favourites. Plus he dropkicked that little lad Kemonito off the apron once and made him do a shooting star press onto Shocker.

Are Mephisto and Averno still a team? They were always rad. I saw a little bit of recent Averno on YouTube, I like his unmasked look. Looks like a little wombat man.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
thanks.

Also at you reading the superman beyond tie in to final crisis it should help to understand it.

I did not, will check it out. Because I just finished FC and shrugged and moved on. But I'd like to appreciate it more.

strobogo

Banned
I did not, will check it out. Because I just finished FC and shrugged and moved on. But I'd like to appreciate it more.

Yeah, Final Crisis did absolutely nothing for me. I thought it was pretty lame, actually. Loved Kingdom Come. I'm currently reading the Dark Phoenix Saga when I poop. It's great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Final Crisis did absolutely nothing for me. I thought it was pretty lame, actually. Loved Kingdom Come. I'm currently reading the Dark Phoenix Saga when I poop. It's great.

I've gone into it before on here but I just loved how he made the strong men look strong in KC. So good.

Never liked any X-stories. Hate em. Allllll of em. I have a hard time going back to Marvel lately. Ever since I got done with the good run of Cosmic Marvel stuff the rest is kinda...shit. Set too high a bar.

somedevil

Here is the most detailed report on CM Styles and Dixie Carter promo:

AJ Styles comes out next and said that he wanted to get something off his chest. He said that he been there since day one and that he is sick of Dixie Carter hiring all of these UFC guys. He said that instead of having guys like Petey Williams, Low Ki and Elix Skipper, she has to pay for those UFC guys. He noted that he is the only one left from the Nashville days. He mentioned Jerry Lynn, Low Ki and a few others from the Nashville days, and said that they deserve better. He said the real truth behind Dixie getting the company was that her daddy bought it for her because she wanted to be in wrestling and had no idea about wrestling.

Dixie Carter comes out and starts crying and saying he was right. It was very tough to hear as she didn't speak loud in the mic. She then started getting louder and louder until she was screaming. She said she is sick and tired of everyone talking about her like she doesn't know what she is doing. She said she is getting tired of AJ running his mouth. She said that if it was not for her, he would still be living in his trailer instead of the house that he lives in now. AJ said that his contract is up in a few weeks and Dixie said that she doesn't care. Dixie start talking about his nickname, the Phenomenal One, and Dixie asks when the last time was that he ever had a great match. Dixie said that she made AJ Styles and his gimmick.

AJ started to say something, but Dixie screams to cut his mic. The mic is cut and Dixie runs over and takes the camera's man headset off and says something. Then the arena goes pitch black like she cut the show (which is where I assume Impact ends next week). AJ then grabbed the mic Dixie had and said something about her husband while it was still pitch black, but it was hard to hear as that mic cut out as well. It was out for a few minutes before they came back on and Dixie was gone while AJ got on the mat and counted 1, 2, 3 and motioned that he will be the new TNA Champion.

This sounds amazing, Sounds like the end of bound for glory is going to be Money in the Bank 2011.

strobogo

Banned
James Storm is still around. He's from the Nashville days. That sounds like it could be good if AJ and Dixie weren't terrible talkers.

We never even get to hear the best New Japan theme, as it's always muted :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkiOGBL78aQ

Fuck, that keyboard line rocks so hard. I'm going to have to work it out for guitar. I've been working on Tenryu's theme, just need to tab out the solo and I'll be done.

Sounds more like he should be taking care of the supernatural in a castle clock tower as opposed to wrestling, which is no bad thing.

Oh hey, the top comment is on the same wavelength as me, i'm not alone here.

I'm 360 for GTA. Let's roll!

What time's the CMLL show at, UK time? I really wanna watch it. I think Ultimo Guerrero's losing his mask and that makes me sad, although maybe it's time. When I first started watching lucha it was Mistico vs. Perrito as a singles feud and Los Guerreros wrecking shit as a tag team so Ultimo's always been one of my favourites. Plus he dropkicked that little lad Kemonito off the apron once and made him do a shooting star press onto Shocker.

Are Mephisto and Averno still a team? They were always rad. I saw a little bit of recent Averno on YouTube, I like his unmasked look. Looks like a little wombat man.

It should start in 5 hours.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watching and enjoying the 25 Greatest Rivalries WWE show on Netflix. Worth watching, they do some reasonably good builds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
25 Greatest Rivalries list:
#25 - Triple H vs. Mick Foley

#24 - Tazz vs. Sabu

#23 - Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero

#22 - Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah the Butcher

#21 - Hulk Hogan vs. Roddy Piper

#20 - CM Punk vs. John Cena

#19 - Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar

#18 - Randy Orton vs. Triple H

#17 - Verne Gagne vs. Nick Bockwinkel

#16 - Mankind vs. The Undertaker

#15 - Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven

#14 - Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker

#13 - Triple H vs. The Rock

#12 - John Cena vs. Edge

#11 - Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage

#10 - Tully Blanchard vs. Magnum T.A.

#9 - The Undertaker vs. Kane

#8 - Edge & Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz

#7 - Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair

#6 - Von Erichs vs. The Fabulous Freebirds

#5 - Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock

#4 - Andre the Giant vs. Hulk Hogan

#3 - Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat

#2 - Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart

#1 - Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon

Really enjoyed the older ones. Good buildups.

strobogo

Banned
wcw1998.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 11/9/98

Hulk Hogan has announced he will announce his candidacy for president in 2000. Also, the president is on his way to the building!

TO THE BACK. Brain and Mean Gene are out back waiting for the president. Oh my. Limos! Instead of the president, it was the nWo and Wolfpac chasing each other. It's a pier sixer! BUT WHO WAS LIMO?!?!

We're shown clips of Bret Hart attempting to reinjure Benoit, being saved by Giant, and trying to injure Lex at the end of Nitro. Then clips of Bret injuring Sting at Havoc.

Kaz Hayashi vs Juventud Guerrera

They're finally having this match that was announced 3 weeks ago. Kaz seems in a bad mood tonight and starts the match by slapping Juvi in the face. Bischoff comes to the announce booth and guarantees that the president will be here tonight. It will either be the impersonator the WWF used at Survivor Series 1995, Eric Bischoff, or Hogan being announced as the president two years early. Back to the match. Juvi goes for something off the top and is caught with a dropkick. This knocks Juvi to the floor. They go back in the ring just for Juvi to get thrown back out so Kaz can hit his dive. They have a strike battle. Kaz goes to the floor. Juvi hits a dive. Cat comes out. Sonny Ono kicked Kaz and cost him the match.

Barry Horrowitz vs Alex Wright

A Thunder rematch. It didn't last long before the Wolfpac hit the ring. Alex Wright wisely leaves and they let Barry leave, because it's promo time. What's the point of even having the match for 2 minutes just to kick the guys out of the ring for a promo? Nash quotes Popeye. They'll take on any combination the nWo can send out as long as Scott Hall is involved. Lex wants Bret involved. Who is Konnan going to call out? Stevie Ray? Lol, he doesn't even call anyone out by name. Bischoff comes out. He says he'll give them someone from the black and white tonight.

Lodi vs Scott Norton

Fuck. Lodi is about to die. Domination.

izvuEwDjIAChb.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE
. The Disciple is the guest in the ring, so this is serious business. He's going to fight his own battles now. No shit. I thought that was established weeks ago. The B-Team come out. WHOREASS says he's meaner, tougher, uglier, and will kill Beefcake. Horace and Beefcake brawl. Is this a match? Warrior eventually comes out. I really thought he was done after Halloween Havoc. I don't remember him making any more appearances after that show.

ib2c4zJaY7zw2H.gif

TO THE BACK.
Gene and Brain are still waiting for the president. Oh my, the motorcade! Gene and Brain are forced to leave by Secret Service people who are shorter than Gene. However, the cameras behind and beside the limos are totally fine. Security and police block the view of the cameras.

Hail to the Chief hits. It's Hogan. The most obvious SWERVE in WCW history. First things first, Hulk congratulates Jesse Ventura on being governor, which is hilarious considering how much Jesse hates Hogan. Basically what he's saying is that he stole the idea from Ventura to run for president. Lol that Warrior is stuck feuding with Horace, while Hulk is off running for president.

Bret Hart comes to the ring. He wishes DDP and Sting speedy comebacks. He's done with Lex. But Konnan makes him sick. God, Bret being wasted on Konnan? I think he implied that he might rape the Nitro Girls.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

I'm not sure if Rey has to join the LWO if he loses this match. Eddie still tries to get Rey to join before the match. Standard spinny lucha stuff to start out. Eddie bails, gets back in the ring, Rey spins around him some more, so he bails again. He gets back in and starts working over the knee. Super rana from Eddie. Back to the knee. Rey makes a come back with a....tiltawhirl back breaker on his bad knee after having it worked over for 5 minutes. Eddie puts Rey's knee against the ring post and dropkicks the steps into it. Rey finally makes a come back and starts running around, doing moonsaults and shit. Come on. You're better than that, Rey. Unprettier. Chavo comes out and steals the LWO shirt. This distracts Eddie and Rey rolls up him for the win. The rest of the LWO come out and attack Chavo. Rey drags him out of the ring. Pretty bad psychology from Rey, who had his knee worked over the whole match, yet all of his come backs involved him either jumping or doing back breakers.

iH0lJzfZCuuca.gif

Bischoff and Liz come out. Ric Flair won't be wrestling because he couldn't pass a physical. The fines for Steiner and Buff didn't sit well with him, so he brings out some lawyers and corporate controller. This is terrible. Bischoff beats all three men up with awful strikes to awful non-wrestlers. This whole thing was just for Bischoff to say he hates attorneys. Such a waste of time.

We're shown Steiner being out of control last week. Sadly, they don't show Buff sticking his thumb up his ass on Thunder.

Scott Steiner vs Chris Adams

Mickie Jay told Penzer that no referees would have anything to do with Scott Steiner matches going forward. They say they're going to buy their own ref if WCW refs are such pussies. Adams is dominated. Rick Steiner runs out. He says he'll find a partner and challenges Buff and Scott to a tag title match tonight.

A Lex video airs with the cheesiest John Mellencamp style music playing behind it.

Scott Steiner/Buff Bagwell vs Rick Steiner/Judy Bagwell WCW Tag Team Championships

The heels get bumped out and then decide they don't have to have this match since there isn't a ref. Rick says they can do this match at WW3. "We can finish the stary, we can finish me and you, I'll finish you off once and for all....Scotty!" It really bothers me that Rick comes out to a Welcome to the Jungle rip off.

iEDHl6Mw1ncBs.gif

Bret Hart vs Konnan

I feel like I have to watch because of Bret...but Konnan...tough choice. Bret works over Konnan's leg with a chair until Lex comes out.

TO THE GENE MEAN. Jericho and Ralphus are the in ring guests. Jericho's hair is ridiculous. Jericho was born 28 years ago in Long Island. He's glad he left. Ralphus told Jericho that Goldberg wouldn't be there tonight, so he feels comfortable calling Goldberg out. As it turns out, Goldberg was here. We see him arrive in his locker room, just in time to hear Jericho. Instead of just heading to the ring, he throws some couches around and yells. Jericho walks backwards to the locker room, only to turn around into a spear. I think the real issue here is that the world champion didn't show up until half way through the 3rd hour of the show. That's so unprofessional. And what's worse, he didn't even have anything to do. Had Jericho not been talking when he arrived, he just would have shown up 2 1/2 hours in to the show for no reason.

i2FuBbW0HRvMd.gif

i8haxvYG7OeIp.gif

Scott Hall/The Giant vs Kevin Nash/Lex Luger

Nash spits on Hall. Naturally, this goes a few minutes before Bret runs in and gets the match thrown out. WE'RE OUTTA TIME. TUNE INTO NITRO EXTRA TOMORROW NIGHT!

For real, I lol'd that Warrior is now feuding with Horace while Hulk is running for president. That's amazing. Also amazing is that they have NOTHING for Goldberg to do. He shows up at the very end of the show to run down to the ring as they fade to black, or to spear Jericho. Maybe. If he's on the show at all. He's their world champion and biggest star, yet he's barely on the shows and has no storyline besides "midcarder comedy angle that the midcarder does 90% of the work on". It's astounding. Why even give him the title if you can't even think of something for a full 4 months? He's actually on TV far less than before he won the belt.

Instead, Hogan gets as much or more time as he did before losing the title, Bischoff is involved in everything Hogan does plus a feud with the Horsemen, but Goldberg has nothing besides Jericho stooging on him and occasionally running in at the end of a show.

BONUS WRASSLEGAF EXCLUSIVE GIF:

ibc04jsyynB0o5.gif

Jamie OD

Got hyped for the CMLL show after reading the preview in this week's Observer. No chance I'll be able to stay up long enough to see it live but I hope the mask and hair matches will be shown online somewhere tomorrow.

I wasn't interested in Rivalries until I saw the list Sunflower posted. Some good choices for sure. Will probably watch some of it tonight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Goldberg had absolutely no juice in the company until late 1999 despite being their biggest star by far. He should at the least have been feuding with someone from the NWO or Wolfpac for a two three month program or a set of matches with DDP. But nope.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Negro Casas, Shocker and El Terrible vs Marco Corleone, Rush and Vangelis is going to be so fuckin hype. I was going to go out, but now I think I will watch CMLL live.

Ithil

Here is the most detailed report on CM Styles and Dixie Carter promo:

AJ Styles comes out next and said that he wanted to get something off his chest. He said that he been there since day one and that he is sick of Dixie Carter hiring all of these UFC guys. He said that instead of having guys like Petey Williams, Low Ki and Elix Skipper, she has to pay for those UFC guys. He noted that he is the only one left from the Nashville days. He mentioned Jerry Lynn, Low Ki and a few others from the Nashville days, and said that they deserve better. He said the real truth behind Dixie getting the company was that her daddy bought it for her because she wanted to be in wrestling and had no idea about wrestling.

Dixie Carter comes out and starts crying and saying he was right. It was very tough to hear as she didn't speak loud in the mic. She then started getting louder and louder until she was screaming. She said she is sick and tired of everyone talking about her like she doesn't know what she is doing. She said she is getting tired of AJ running his mouth. She said that if it was not for her, he would still be living in his trailer instead of the house that he lives in now. AJ said that his contract is up in a few weeks and Dixie said that she doesn't care. Dixie start talking about his nickname, the Phenomenal One, and Dixie asks when the last time was that he ever had a great match. Dixie said that she made AJ Styles and his gimmick.

AJ started to say something, but Dixie screams to cut his mic. The mic is cut and Dixie runs over and takes the camera's man headset off and says something. Then the arena goes pitch black like she cut the show (which is where I assume Impact ends next week). AJ then grabbed the mic Dixie had and said something about her husband while it was still pitch black, but it was hard to hear as that mic cut out as well. It was out for a few minutes before they came back on and Dixie was gone while AJ got on the mat and counted 1, 2, 3 and motioned that he will be the new TNA Champion.

This sounds amazing, Sounds like the end of bound for glory is going to be Money in the Bank 2011.
I like how it's a blatantly direct knockoff of the Summer of Punk II.

Top Bottom