• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Just got my new schedule for the next few months.

Early Monday and Tuesday means no more Live RAW for me starting the week after next.

On the plus side I get to join the "fast forward through all this crap" master race.

Kaladin

Just got my new schedule for the next few months.

Early Monday and Tuesday means no more Live RAW for me starting the week after next.

On the plus side I get to join the "fast forward through all this crap" master race.

Except there is less crap to fast forward through, and you can usually just get by with the Hulu edition because they delete most of the crap these days.....so the Hulu Plus master race reigns supreme.

Except there is less crap to fast forward through, and you can usually just get by with the Hulu edition because they delete most of the crap these days.....so the Hulu Plus master race reigns supreme.

Well I live in Ireland and we dont have Hulu. :(

Have to stay up late to watch RAW every week but it worked out since I only worked weekends / back half of the week and any classes I was taken on the days I didnt work where past 1pm.

Graves could do just fine if he got the Orton push as a "CM Punk killer" or something like that. "He's younger than you! He can go longer than you! He's got more tattoos than you!" That sort of thing. And Graves could get alot better in the ring, working with someone like CM Punk.

Really, if they decide to continue pushing this storyline forward, they've booked themselves into a corner. The whole thing already feels like it's gone on too long, and they have to do something NUCLEAR to reignite it. Bringing in somebody new seems like the best bet (since Cesaro is probably not an option), but even then, they'd better have stuff even more brutal than the kendo stick beating if this thing is going to stay alive until Hell in a Cell. "Lita on a Pole" match at Battlegrounds, or something.

somedevil

More on AJ Styles promo next week:

The final segment saw AJ Styles claim he wasn't under contract anymore and could say what he wanted. He ripped TNA for letting better wrestlers go to try and grab the brass ring with another "big name." Dixie Carter came out and cut a promo that really sounded like she was turning heel. Basically Dixie Carter turned heel.

How can you wrestle without a contract in storyline? Do you think this is a good idea because people will call out TNA for trying to rip off the WWE because this storyline can either go one way and rip off Punk or go another way a rip off the current WWE storyline.

Kaladin

More on AJ Styles promo next week:

The final segment saw AJ Styles claim he wasn't under contract anymore and could say what he wanted. He ripped TNA for letting better wrestlers go to try and grab the brass ring with another "big name." Dixie Carter came out and cut a promo that really sounded like she was turning heel. Basically Dixie Carter turned heel.

If this is true one how can you wrestle without a contract. Do you think this is a good idea because people will call out TNA for trying to rip off the WWE because this storyline can either go one way and rip off Punk or go another way a rip off the current WWE storyline.

Technically, Aces & Eights guys aren't contracted by storyline so I guess AJ can wrestle without a contract too.

Hell, can I jump the rail at a TNA show in a ski mask and leather jacket and wrestle?

jred2k

Technically, Aces & Eights guys aren't contracted by storyline so I guess AJ can wrestle without a contract too.

Hell, can I jump the rail at a TNA show in a ski mask and leather jacket and wrestle?

Just wait a few weeks until TNA can no longer afford security.

strobogo

Banned
I need to give Tito another look. Watch his whole El Matador run :p

I hated almost ALL of these guys when I was younger. I've seen some Orndorff lately that's flipped me, same with Eaton.

Of course you hated Eaton. Look at his physique! I understand it probably wouldn't be a big seller, but I'd really be interested in a pre-Hulkamania WWF DVD. Maybe even right up to the start. Like 1970-Wrestlemania 1. I really think WWE pussed out by loading the MSG set with so much post Hogan-stuff. There are 2 matches from the 70s, 7 from the 80s, 6 from the 90s, and 8 from the 2000s. TWO matches from the 70s for a MSG set? ONE Bruno match? The only cage match being on the bluray extras? And the majority of everything from Hogan's first title win on is already available on multiple DVDs.

I feel like there are really only 2 periods that WWE haven't tapped for the DVD market, and that's pre-Hulkamania WWF and post-Hogan/pre-Attitude Era WWF. Not just the New Generation Era, but slightly before and slightly after. Those eras haven't been touched much, while Hulkamania/Attitude Era-on have been milked to death.

I think a best of NWA set would get put out before a best of WWE 1970-1984 would get made. I'd also be interested in an NWA set that focused more on the 70s and pre-Horsemen era.

strobogo

Banned
There must be some good gems in there from 1992-1996 that don't involve Bret, Owen, or HBK. There MUST BE. WE HAVE TO FIND THEM.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're making my heart heavy, Sunny. Hearts exploding on your watch isn't good for business.

...Beverly Brothers/Natural Disasters feud? I know that happened, I suffered through it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I blame Vince trying to do the World Bodybuilding Federation for why the new generation was so lackluser

I still am upset none of the wrasslin torrent sites have the WBF PPVs, I always wanted to watch them to hear Vince screaming LOOK AT THE STRIATION!

Headshrinkers vs Steiners at Wrestlemania 9 is the reason I'm a wrestling fan. If you've seen it, you might know why.

Also Steiners vs Beverly Brothers at Rumble 93

...and Flair/Savage :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE DVD Release:

From Tugboat to Typhoon: Movin' Weight

Join the WWE as they celebrate the career of Tugboat Taylor! Thrill with the audience as Tugboat navigates the shark-infested waters of the WWE by avoiding such names as The Genius, Animal from the Legion of Doom and Tatanka! Then, watch this Natural Disaster strike back against such legendary performers as I.R.S. and Samu!

Penguin

There must be some good gems in there from 1992-1996 that don't involve Bret, Owen, or HBK. There MUST BE. WE HAVE TO FIND THEM.

Razor/Jarrett had some good stuff

Poor Taker was saddled with utter crap

Though match with Diesel at Mania was solid.

Aside from his match with Bret, what were Diesel's memorable title defenses?

Hogan's eye still from WM9 still terrifies me. Also, steiner does that awesome spot where he turns a dooms day device into a body slam.

There's that bit, and the main spot earlier which hooked me:

Headshrinker takes Steiner up on flapjack/stun gun, for some reason other Headshrinker pulls down the bottom rope.

This results in Steiner fucking taking a DIVE BOMB TO THE FLOOR HEADFIRST, falling out of sight of the camera.

I thought he was dead. Instant fan. Instantly hooked.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

Headshrinker takes Steiner up on flapjack/stun gun, for some reason other Headshrinker pulls down the bottom rope.

This results in Steiner fucking taking a DIVE BOMB TO THE FLOOR HEADFIRST, falling out of sight of the camera.

So a botch turned you into a fan.

You know what would have been a great WWE DVD?

A JR DVD.

His Favorited matches he has called through out his career and stories about them. Talking about the times he was involved with storylines. Talents he scouted when he was head of talent, general career backstory stuff etc....

Shame.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

A JR DVD.

His Favorited matches he has called through out his career and stories about them. Talking about the times he was involved with storylines. Talents he scouted when he was head of talent, general career backstory stuff etc....

Shame.

A JR DVD would just be a loop of him getting set on fire and getting his head shoved in Vince's ass.

strobogo

Banned

Yes. That was terrifying and amazing. I like to think that's what ended up putting Scott on the way to becoming Big Poppa Pump.

ibh7j9NdX29ppD.gif

A JR DVD.

Shame.

I would buy this for sure. Especially if he did an alternate commentary track for some matches wherein he would talk about his emotions at the time with the benefit of hindsight, Mankind/Taker HIAC is one that I'd be especially interested to hear.

Yes. That was terrifying and amazing. I like to think that's what ended up putting Scott on the way to becoming Big Poppa Pump.

ibh7j9NdX29ppD.gif

OH DEAR GOD

Death in Slow Motion D:

But now watching all the goddamn headdrops Scotty has given out over the years, I don't give a fuck :p

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, if there are any guys that deserved to get spiked with something, it would have to be the Steiners. That was revenge for all the wimpies that they murdered over the years.

Shit, I should have jumped in there and challenged somebody when I did security that one show.

jred2k

There are few things as exciting as an excited Vince McMahon. Him splooging all over himself in muscle heaven would be fantastic.

As a side note, does Ambrose have an announced match for NOC? Everything up until now has looked like him vs Dolph, but it's kind of shitty they haven't made anything official yet. This PPV really shows how few fucks are given for the IC and US belts.

When asked during his live Q&A event in Scotland on August 28, Ross vehemently denied he was even considering retirement.

I have no intentions of retiring and will continue my work with the great folks in WWE developmental. I will never retire and will always be there for WWE when they need me. The day I retire is the day my family buries me into the ground.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So what you're saying is that JR is actually dead.

Breaking Bad fandom is looking more and more like wrestling fandom all time. People over in that thread hoping certain characters get buried or pushed, being totally upset if things don't go *exactly* the way they want it too.

Fuckin marks

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Gaming Side has basically turned into IGN at this point, unfortunately.

Gaming isn't that bad, you just have to pick where you go and post with care. Steam thread, the OTs for the not so big threads, threads where you can get honest discussion about game mechanics or styles, Pop Fiction, etc. Plenty of good stuff with plenty of good people just like Off Topic is full of good threads like us and LEGO and not just PopGaf.

A couple of things really surprised me when I had WWE 24/7 a few years ago:

1. How good Tito Santana was. Most of those old WWF house shows were totally skippable, but Tito's matches were generally fantastic. I had never given him much thought and he's not a guy that's ever going to get a WWE DVD set but he was Really good.

2. How gritty, old-school and action-packed Hogan's title defenses were in the '84-'85 period. His early title defenses were exciting, huge heat and Hogan juiced ALL THE TIME. His audience and popularity wasn't all built on little kids and the WWF machine, you didn't see a ton of tykes in the crowd at a Philly house show in 1984. Hogan's later years in his run are laughed off as being formulaic, but there was a time when he could really go.

Tito was amazing, after 85 or so he simply didn't look like he could really make it on his own. I always loved him though, and there is good reason he had the first match of Wrestlemania.
Look up some of his matches with Ivan Putski against the Wild Samoans if you want more of him. The early ECW work isn't bad either.

Hulk Hogan deserved all the push that he got early on, even if he was acting like a villain against Shiek with eye poking and what not, but he really was something. His time with NJPW also still holds up well now that I almost find it hard to believe it's the same guy by his "Hulkamania" and WCW days.
Hogan vs Fujinami http://youtu.be/TG2fxzUgB-4

I want to watch more of Ted Dibiase in Mid South. I saw just enough that I wanted to see more of him before he hit his prime with the Million Dollar Man.

There are rumours of an actual documentary for Mid-South, along the style of AWA's which most certainty would have a lot of DiBiase on it.

Kaladin

Breaking Bad fandom is looking more and more like wrestling fandom all time. People over in that thread hoping certain characters get buried or pushed, being totally upset if things don't go *exactly* the way they want it too.

Fuckin marks

Fuckin #TeamHank over here.....fuck the end of the last episode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Would y'all kindly shut the fuck up you're making me scared to look in this thread

I have 100s of fake Bo Dallas nudes if you press me

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Fuckin marks
I'm glad that I'm just on the 2nd season, taking it slow and enjoying every bit.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
On top of my statements about Gaming being good if you are careful about what threads to enter. I will also say, avoid anyone who considers "gaming" a life style. It's a hobby we play with toys, it shouldn't determine how you live your entire life unless it's your profession or live in Mainframe with Bob, Dot, and Enzo.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
On top of my statements about Gaming being good if you are careful about what threads to enter. I will also say, avoid anyone who considers "gaming" a life style. It's a hobby we play with toys, it shouldn't determine how you live your entire life unless it's your profession or live in Mainframe with Bob, Dot, and Enzo.

These are the most fun threads. People let some shameful shit fly sometimes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like gaming. I'm mainly here for stro's reviews, GWF, and gifs. Off topic is the place full of weirdos and creepers.

Top Bottom