• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, Dolph's offense is weak as shit and has always been that way. Mr. Perfect had the same problem, but he was physically more intimidating and would at least punch/chop/dropkick the fuck out of someone. Almost everything Dolph does offensively looks like it hurts him more than his opponent because he's always spazzing out in the air to look impressive. R-Truth always had that problem to me, too. That stupid spinning he does after the forearm/leg lariat looks like it is way harder on him than the actual move he just pulled off.

EDIT: NEW PAGE

WCW Thunder 8/13/98

Lol, this is from the FARGO DOME. What are the odds? Bret will get his rematch against Lex tonight. This is the first time they've announced a match for Thunder ahead of time in months. For the first 2 months or so, they set up main events a week in advance and would set something up on Nitro. They just kind of gave up completely and decided they'd just throw Glacier out there a lot. PE vs Dancing Fools. AGAIN. Jericho defends his new title against Chavo. Eddie vs Stevie Ray. Nash vs Hennig. I'm going to speed through this to get to WARRIOR's debut on Nitro. Pretty excited for that mess.

Scott Hall comes to the ring. Hall has upgraded from Medium Sexy to Super Sexy. He has to break down the survey to make it clear WHICH nWo the crowds came to see. That's it. He just came out to do the survey? Oh, Konnan will join us when we come back from break.

Scott Hall vs Konnan

Fuck, nWo guys need their own music. 15 guys share the same 2 themes and I never want to hear either of them again. It was probably worse before the Wolfpac got their own music, so it was the nWo theme over and over and over all night. Hall headbutted the camera while clotheslining Konnan in the corner. Looked like it hurt. He wins completely clean with the Outsider's Edge. What a jobber.

iZmdXyrYNoXwk.gif

Raven vs Whoreass

Raven gets drilled with a drink on the way to the ring. I don't really think fans should be throwing things at wrestlers, but I do wish it would happen once in a while on Raw. Can you imagine someone throwing an egg or full beer at Cena? I'm really impressed by how none of these guys really even react. Bret got hit with an egg and didn't even stop his sentence. Lodi stops Raven from using the stop sign. Horace then boots it into Raven's face. Superfly splash. I'd like to see other males in the Hogan family. Do they all look like Droopy? Another splash. Raven moves out of the way and Whoreass goes right into the sign in teh corner. Lodi is cheering for both guys, after interfering on Horace's behalf just a few minutes ago. Raven demands Lodi get involved and slaps him when he has to think about it. The rest of the Flock is called in and told to attack. The ref calls a DQ in this no DQ match. Saturn comes out and tells them to back off. And they listen. Horace then attacks Saturn. What the fuck. Nothing with The Flock makes sense anymore. Kanyon also comes out to beat up Flock members. Saturn then attacks Kanyon. The fuck is going on?

iXw1hahMB8VxT.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE. He brings Stevie Ray out. He challenges Giant for next week. "You big, over grown piece of ALPUNK." I don't know what alpunk is.

Chris Jericho vs Chavo Guerrero Jr. WCW TV Championship

Long, but uneventful match. Jericho killed Pepe. Chavo had a second Pepe hidden under the ring and hits Jericho with it. What? He keeps a spare hobby horse under the ring?

Bret Hart comes to the ring. He says he has to fight every person in the building every time he wrestles and he's going to win his title back.

Dancing Fools vs Public Enemy

Wait, Magnum was supposed to be kicked out of the group for losing on Nitro. Why is he still out there? Why is this match happening again? I think the last match was pretty definitive. Magnum took the bullet of a table bump in the corner and Alex Wright pinned Grunge with a neckbreaker. MENG shows up out of nowhere and beats up everyone. Out of nowhere, completely unprovoked. Barbarian comes out to fight and gets put in the death grip. Fucking again. Christ. Both PE get put in it. Then a security guy. I feel like this Barb/Meng show down has happened at least 4 times in the last month, plus at the beginning of the year, and everyone of them is exactly the same.

iR7uqMcdrAHp8.gif

Kevin Nash comes to the ring. He's got some words for Goldberg. He says he was just trying to do the right thing. And then offers Goldberg a spot in the Wolfpac.

Kevin Nash vs Curt Hennig

Perfect takes a ridiculous bump out of the corner. He decided he was going to sell as if here had been swept up in a tornado. Nash got his leg caught on the ropes going for a big boot, and Hennig goes right after the injury. Nash gets up and still hits his moves despite limping around. Even a big boot. Rick Rude drills the ref. What a surprise. Rude squares off with Nash, which allows Hall to attack from behind. Fans chant for Goldberg. Instead, they got Lex Luger.

ibj3rGqm0k9ajk.gif

Stevie Ray vs Eddie Guerrero

But I thought they established there was no issue between these guys. Hall and Giant come out to watch while drinking from red Silo cups. We all know what that means. In fact, most of the match is actually just shots of them tasking sips and laughing while apparently a god damn match is going on somewhere. Literally 70% of this match is watching Hall and Giant. Stevie wins with the Slapjack. I guess you could kind of see the match on the screen behind Hall and Giant. If you looked at an angle and had a flashlight.

i0SMt9oEw4qAN.gif

Bret Hart vs Lex Luger WCW US Championship

Guess what? This was terrible and Bret did indeed win his title right back. So what was the point of these two trading the belt back and forth?

This is all bullshit and I had to get through it to get to WARRIOR's debut on the next show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Perfect did some highly effective cheating tactics, though. Went a long way.

Anth0ny

5 of the 20 full Raw episodes that will be included with that DVD box set have been revealed:

- Lita vs. Victoria (November 24, 2003 – Raw Roulette)
- Undertaker, Triple H & Shane McMahon vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock & Mr. McMahon (May 10, 1999)
- RVD vs. Santino (December 10, 2007 – 15th Anniversary)
- CM Punk vs. Matt Hardy (April 21, 2008) or (April 13, 2009).

and...

- The Rock vs. Mankind (January 4, 1999)

breakingbad-ani1_500szscr.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's the result of that ridiculous selling. It makes you look like you weight ten pounds. If you want to look at someone who sold amazingly but still had devastating moves, you look at Rick Rude. He made shit look like it hurt so bad, but he also didn't toss himself into a 450 to sell. It was realistic. And he changed it based on who he was wrestling. Rude Awakening is just a neckbreaker, but I still watch his matches now and think 'that's an awesome finisher'

BFIB

I never understood why anyone who got put in the Perfect Plex just didn't lift up the free shoulder.

somedevil

AJ Styles update from pwinsider:

As Dave noted this morning on the site, TNA and AJ Styles have agreed to a short term contract extension. One source told me this morning it's a deal that will take the two sides a little past Bound for Glory. They will continue negotiations for a longer deal, but as Dave has written, it's going to be money that tells the tale of whether Styles stays or not.

So he signed a new contract that basically takes him thru October.

Linkified

Well if Ziggler wasn't on a downhill trend, he's in a free-fall now.

Wouldn't surprise me if its all a work - after all Ziggler is involved in the WWE storyline because of a Summerslam Backstage Fallout segment which aired after the interview. In my mind it says: "WORK WORK WORK"

strobogo

Banned
I agree that it's a work and will get mentioned on air, and then Ziggler will be punished by HHH again. However, Dolph has no problem actually saying things like that about his co-workers on Twitter, stand up shows, interviews, so who knows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If Dolph's twitter wasn't such a mess I'd be more apt to call it a work. I dunno. I guess we'll see. I was talking with Moon Boots over Twitter and I mentioned I am READY for kayfabe to come back.

BFIB

I agree that it's a work and will get mentioned on air, and then Ziggler will be punished by HHH again. However, Dolph has no problem actually saying things like that about his co-workers on Twitter, stand up shows, interviews, so who knows.

I'm still jealous that Dolph got to have athletic sex with Amy Schumer.

JustinBB7

Watching Smackdown now, can't get enough of this Corporate story.

Ryback in Vickie's office with Bryan lol, always makes me laugh. Dat dead stare into nothing.

Aiii

So not worth it
If the stuff Dolph's been ranting about the past few months isn't a work, you can be damn sure he's in the doghouse for the rest of his career or until he quits and joins TNA. Whichever comes first.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This is all just an excuse for HHH to pedigree Ziggler on air, to re-establish that he is in fact the COO and that everyone in the WWE is borrowing HIS time and if necessary he will wrestle with a broomstick for 3 hours.

strobogo

Banned
The thing with Dolph is that they've given him chances and he can't stay over on his own. That's why he got paired up with Vickie. And Vickie was the over one of the group. As soon as she wasn't around, he went back to getting no reaction. Then he got paired up with AJ, who is also more over. Even as late as March of this year, at the Raw I went to, Dolph got ZERO reaction coming out. Nothing at all. People would get into him during the actual matches, but he still has awfully mild reactions except in smarkier towns.

He had that one night where he was super over, which was the same night that Fandango, JBL, and Randy Savage were super over.

Ithil

The thing with Dolph is that they've given him chances and he can't stay over on his own. That's why he got paired up with Vickie. And Vickie was the over one of the group. As soon as she wasn't around, he went back to getting no reaction. Then he got paired up with AJ, who is also more over. Even as late as March of this year, at the Raw I went to, Dolph got ZERO reaction coming out. Nothing at all. People would get into him during the actual matches, but he still has awfully mild reactions except in smarkier towns.

He had that one night where he was super over, which was the same night that Fandango, JBL, and Randy Savage were super over.

To be fair, he spent December-April jobbing nonstop to everyone, then he won the World title.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, he spent December-April jobbing nonstop to everyone, then he won the World title.

So did Bryan before he won the world title. Bryan also get paired with AJ around that time. Bryan got squashed in 18 seconds to put over someone else and losing his title. Bryan got buried in the midcard comedy tag-team role. Bryan never once complained. Bryan is now the #1 face in the company.

If you complain when you're asked to do the job, WWE loses all interest in pushing you. It's how they've operated for many years. Job a guy out, see how he responds. If he takes it in stride, they get behind them. If they don't, they're gone.

gurudyne

I like the belt but still don't get the random red gems

Well when you win it you can pry them out yourself.

And it is a damned nice NoC graphic.

So did Bryan before he won the world title. Bryan also get paired with AJ around that time. Bryan got squashed in 18 seconds to put over someone else and losing his title. Bryan got buried in the midcard comedy tag-team role. Bryan never once complained. Bryan is now the #1 face in the company.

If you complain when you're asked to do the job, WWE loses all interest in pushing you. It's how they've operated for many years. Job a guy out, see how he responds. If he takes it in stride, they get behind them. If they don't, they're gone.

Eh, I agree with you in spirit, but Ziggler's job is to job. Dude's got the worst winrate of any wrestler who has as many matches as he does and while winrates normally mean nothing, when you lose as frequently as Ziggler does, it can add up. Even casual fans have to see him for the jobber he is. So when it comes time for his push, you have to turn that massive record of losses around or else you end up being a loser with some gold around your waist and no story to tell. Ziggler never got that, so I think there's some weight to his "they dropped the ball with me" sob story.

Not that I endorse the complaining. As a fan, I enjoy it because it's entertaining, but he does need to be a lot more conservative with his interview fodder. And tweeting. I mean Christ, I play better politics than this.

"Buried in a midcard comedy tag-team?" Are you kidding me? Kane and Daniel Bryan routinely had an entire hour of Raw dedicated to their angles. They've never been behind Dolph as strongly and consistently as they've pushed Bryan.

somedevil

"Buried in a midcard comedy tag-team?" Are you kidding me? Kane and Daniel Bryan routinely had an entire hour of Raw dedicated to their angles. They've never been behind Dolph as strongly and consistently as they've pushed Bryan.

I do agree with that. The thing was Dolph never got the title run that would of shown if he was worth the effort to push. Swagger killed it for him. When Bryan got the title and paired with AJ he had a great run as champion. The whole Yes thing, his promos and how he was booked got him over to the point people wanted to see him wrestle at WrestleMania against Sheamus.

When the 18 second thing happened the crowd revolted and the rest is history. Dolph never got that chance because of the concussion.

I like Dolph, but he has flaws that hold him back. He sells great but if you sell to well your just going to be used to make others look good.

edit: His constant complaining isn't helping. People have been booked worse and turned it into gold. He has gotten a lot more than many others in the roster.

Aiii

So not worth it

That's because Kane and Bryan made that angle work. It was never meant to be as big as it was and we all know it.

And if all you're gonna do is complain about Cena and Triple H in interviews, of course WWE isn't going to get behind you. Be better at politics. Lets hope the Trips thing is a work.

Watched this match;

Tamon Honda & Jun Izumida (c) vs Jinsei Shinzaki & Hayabusa - All Asia Tag Titles - (AJPW 01/16/99)

Pretty fun once it gets going. So many headbutts. Tamon Honda is a very underrated wrestler and can still go at this point, which is just as well as he mostly has to carry the match. Izumida is pretty terrible, but Honda manages to off-set his awfulness, while Shinzaki dies a dozen deaths standing up to him and Hayabusa gets to do all his flippy stuff and look very strong for a junior. The finishing stretch is pretty cool. Hayabusa's 450 was beautiful. Also, had to lol at the cameraman zooming in on Shinzaki as his was blading.

Honda repeatedly tries to murder Shinzaki with German suplexes;

ihLdG11cL3gDJ.gif

That 450;

iM8hopWfxCPeD.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Also, the next step of Ziggler mirroring Bryan will be a tag team title run with Big Show, mark my words.

gurudyne

I like Dolph, but he has flaws that hold him back. He sells great but if you sell to well your just going to be used to make others look good.

I think that's the reason he was held back. Not just because of the jobbing skills but because DBry can do backstage and live-audience bits with enough skill to be compelling. Ziggler's only got half the range and stupidly, WWE insists on putting him in situations that make use of his bad live-mic skills rather than his good backstage ones. I believe that if they gave Ziggler more backstage work with a clear storyline (and stopped panning over a disinterested audience for each backstage segment), he could build himself up a hell of a lot better.

I don't buy into this one bit. Selling like Dolph sells is a huge boost to any feud. You can put him against big guys and have them toss Dolph around so that he's the underdog, or you can have him play a scumbag heel who wins, and wins, and wins through underhanded tactics until the babyface gets his and Dolph gets flattened in hilarious fashion.

The problem with either of those is that Dolph needs wins. Making someone look good doesn't mean you have to lose every match. Look at the wins Daniel Bryan has gotten on his road to the main event. Or even when he doesn't get wins, dude has been having great matches with great high spots, and clearing the ring of upwards of 3 people by himself. It's simple booking. Just because Dolph does X-Games flips to sell doesn't mean he's forever relegated to jobber status. CM Punk has gotten manhandled all year, but has enough moments of glory that people still take him seriously.

That's because Kane and Bryan made that angle work. It was never meant to be as big as it was and we all know it.

And if all you're gonna do is complain about Cena and Triple H in interviews, of course WWE isn't going to get behind you. Be better at politics. Lets hope the Trips thing is a work.

If it was never meant to be that big, they would've never gave it an hour of TV time every week. That was in the midst of them attempting to reinvigorate the tag team division. Since that failed because Hell No had no competition, all the goodwill built from that angle transferred to Daniel Bryan's singles run.

I do agree that Dolph's kayfabe breaking nonsense, and public complaining are bad moves though, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying it's maybe a little bit justified.

Aiii

So not worth it
If it was never meant to be that big, they would've never gave it an hour of TV time every week. That was in the midst of them attempting to reinvigorate the tag team division. Since that failed because Hell No had no competition, all the goodwill built from that angle transferred to Daniel Bryan's singles run.

I do agree that Dolph's kayfabe breaking nonsense, and public complaining are bad moves though, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying it's maybe a little bit justified.

Yeah, fair enough, I can see that.

And it's justified for sure, he makes valid points even. It's just really dumb to speak up against the number one guy in the company and your boss. In any business, mind you, but especially in wrestling.

For instance, back when he was with AJ they would do interviews together and they'd ask them if there was anyone backstage mentoring them. AJ always gave props to Cena teaching her how to create a character and market that character. And everytime Dolph would sigh, or make a comment on that. He genuinly seems to have beef with Cena. That's fine, but keep it to yourself man, you know how much weight that guy carries backstage.

After a conversation earlier about wrestling names which led to the old tale of Austin's potential names like Chilly McFreeze and Ice Dagger we came to the conclusion that if he had ended up with Chilly McFreeze instead of Stone Cold Steve Austin then the Stunner would be called the Cold Shoulder.
I now need to hear JR yelling "BAH GAWD CHILLY'S GIVING HIM THE COLD SHOULDER! CHILLY! CHILLY! CHILLLLY!"

And it's justified for sure, he makes valid points even. It's just really dumb to speak up against the number one guy in the company and your boss. In any business, mind you, but especially in wrestling.

For instance, back when he was with AJ they would do interviews together and they'd ask them if there was anyone backstage mentoring them. AJ always gave props to Cena teaching her how to create a character and market that character. And everytime Dolph would sigh, or make a comment on that. He genuinly seems to have beef with Cena. That's fine, but keep it to yourself man, you know how much weight that guy carries backstage.

Yeah, like I said, it's a bad move on Dolph's part. Everyone knows he's frustrated, but he's being frustrated in the public eye which might get him buried worse than ever if this isn't a work.

Top Bottom