• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

strobogo

Banned
You know, I think Mongo had a mind and actual passion for wrestling. He just didn't have the talent for it. He never half assed it and would power through botches and grab a hold like a real pro. Maybe he could have been good if he had started out as a wrestler instead of being a retired football player and training to be a wrestler at 40.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
the mini Goldberg DDP feud will restore you some sanity.

The way you word it makes me imagine a mini estrella (short, but not necessarily a midget or a dwarf) imitator of Goldberg in a series of matches with DDP which would have been amazing. Mascarita Sagrada (aka Mini Nova) could have pulled it off.

I don't think Warrior ever actually showed up on Thunder once during his whole two-month run. I think that made it clear to on-the-fence WCW fans at that time that Thunder was always worth skipping.

strobogo

Banned
I can handle what's left. Around 30 shows left. If I can finish out 2000/2001, I can finish this stuff out. It just amazed at how blatantly half assed that Thunder was. And how cocky Bischoff must have been to think throwing a show like that out while WWF was running red hot was totally cool.

I can handle what's left. Around 30 shows left. If I can finish out 2000/2001, I can finish this stuff out. It just amazed at how blatantly half assed that Thunder was. And how cocky Bischoff must have been to think throwing a show like that out while WWF was running red hot was totally coo.

What's baffling is Bischoff should have been inspired to make Thunder more important because there was no WWF competition at the time. Smackdown didn't become a thing until August 1999. All eyes were on WCW on Thursday nights and they put out half-assed crap.

strobogo

Banned
I would say the lack of any effort after the first two months was probably more of a reason than the ugly stage. And then the top guys I'm sure decided that "Hey, if we have to work an extra TV date, you have to pay us more" and the brass said, "Fuck it, throw Glacier out there".

RBH

BS9k3fEIUAAOvLG.jpg:large

Christopher Daniels ‏@facdaniels

"Kaz, did you see Joseph Park's last match?" "I hope so!" "HAHAHAHA!!!" #StatlerAndWaldorf

Literally none of Stro's WCW .gifs work properly on my iPhone 4, I think it can't handle any .gif above 2MB or so.

Do they work on more modern devices for you guys?

strobogo

Banned
They work on my Transformer, which is at least 2 years old now. But a big post of them will usually lock up whatever browser I'm using. The reviews aren't really for mobile devices, even my own.

Literally none of Stro's WCW .gifs work properly on my iPhone 4, I think it can't handle any .gif above 2MB or so.

Do they work on more modern devices for you guys?
I have pics and avatars disabled on my way-worse-than-your-iphone4 LG Optimus One running Froyo 2.2 and I was able to see one Mongo McMichael jiff while connected to wifi. I haven't tried displaying more than one jiff, though.

And you also won't have to have the feed cut out for you when watching the match, so that's cool too.

I can't BELIEVE that actually happened.

That's like, ROH iPPV going out when Jay Briscoe is about to win the title level of bad, except several magnitudes worse

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have pics and avatars disabled on my way-worse-than-your-iphone4 LG Optimus One running Froyo 2.2 and I was able to see one Mongo McMichael jiff while connected to wifi. I haven't tried displaying more than one jiff, though.

Those aren't Latino phones....

ecurbj

That was a nice SmackDown this past Friday. It seems like Ziggler is getting buried every single week :(

But I like how they are building this Orton and Bryan story line.

I might have to disable images as well, these jiffs are killing my phone whenever I visit this thread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I should hop to reviewing that XPW show. :|

Aiii

So not worth it
That was a nice SmackDown this past Friday. It seems like Ziggler is getting buried every single week :(

But I like how they are building this Orton and Bryan story line.

Yes, Ziggler is getting buried by being one of the three people they have against the New Corporation alongside Bryan.

Man, I bet guys like Tensai, Ryder and Gabriel sure are glad they aren't Dolph Ziggler right now.

I can't BELIEVE that actually happened.

That's like, ROH iPPV going out when Jay Briscoe is about to win the title level of bad, except several magnitudes worse
I paid money for that PPV. I remember calling the cable company to see what happened and not being able to get through because so many other people were calling as well.

That was the first time pro wrestling ever left me legit shook.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish 2k14 was a better game because it's currently set to have the most amazing roster. Awesome legends aside, the present roster has been in long enough that pretty much all the amazing guys will get in. The Shield, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, PTP, likely the Uso's, Mark Henry, Brock, Regal(maybe)

and i'd bet money the Wyatts will be DLC./

BTCFAx1CYAAx8zJ.jpg

I paid money for that PPV. I remember calling the cable company to see what happened and not being able to get through because so many other people were calling as well.

That was the first time pro wrestling ever left me legit shook.

That seriously has to be the true start of the downfall for them. And it's entirely their own fault and arrogance.

At some point they started taping two Thunders the same night, which would explain all the storyline development stuff being pretaped. The second Thunder couldn't reference anything live that hadn't happened on Nitro yet. Not sure if you're up to the taped Thunder era already, though.

I wish 2k14 was a better game because it's currently set to have the most amazing roster. Awesome legends aside, the present roster has been in long enough that pretty much all the amazing guys will get in. The Shield, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, PTP, likely the Uso's, Mark Henry, Brock, Regal(maybe)

and i'd bet money the Wyatts will be DLC./

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTCFAx1CYAAx8zJ.jpg

I already know 2K14 is going to get a bunch of sales based the on roster alone, and it makes me anger. The gameplay still looks poop. Considering we've had Community Creations in like the last 4 or 5 games, and you could always make the roster as amazing as you wanted it to be, I'm not seeing where the hype is coming from this year. Not to mention the actual move animations still don't look as good and character specific as they did in HCTP.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I already know 2K14 is going to get a bunch of sales based the on roster alone, and it makes me anger. The gameplay still looks poop. Considering we've had Community Creations in like the last 4 or 5 games, and you could always make the roster as amazing as you wanted it to be, I'm not seeing where the hype is coming from this year. Not to mention the actual move animations still don't look as good and character specific as they did in HCTP.

CAWs take forever to load. It's not the same, especially when you have to ghetto rig moves with create a finisher

Look, if it takes Rollins being in the game for me to have a proper Shinsuke flying knee, then that's what it's gonna take damn it.

*Complains about WWE games every year* *Buys them anyways*

You seriously disappoint me WrassleGAF.

Last one I bought I believe was 2007 or maybe 2008 on the PS2, that's when I realized this shit is clearly regressing, and I wasn't having fun with them anymore.

I was excited when I got my PS3 thinking we'd have a PS1->PS2 jump of quality when it came to these games. Then I played one of the 360 games in my friend's house...I proceeded to lol heartily as it was the same old shit, then I cried myself to sleep that night (well not really), as the Smackdown games were probably my most played during the PS2 days.

I also played '13 a few weeks ago, yeah, I ain't seeing anything worth touching with a ten foot pole still.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
you seriously think hardcore fans matter with a title like WWE? that's like thinking the MW2 protest groups would have meant anything if they didn't buy the game. little kids will still gobble it up, people who don't care about posting on wrestling video game boards will still gobble it up. it's not like nba where there's an alternative.

WWE All Stars not getting a sequel pretty much showed that the 'core' vote doesn't mean shit when it comes to wrestling games.

Yeah, on the wrestling board I frequent, people are pretty excited about 14. The roster alone is selling lapsed gamers on picking it up. It's like Madden, it doesn't have to be good, just good enough. Casual players don't really care, unfortunately.

Penguin

I can handle what's left. Around 30 shows left. If I can finish out 2000/2001, I can finish this stuff out. It just amazed at how blatantly half assed that Thunder was. And how cocky Bischoff must have been to think throwing a show like that out while WWF was running red hot was totally cool.

Are you going to do 99 as well?
Or did you already cover that?

At some point they started taping two Thunders the same night, which would explain all the storyline development stuff being pretaped. The second Thunder couldn't reference anything live that hadn't happened on Nitro yet. Not sure if you're up to the taped Thunder era already, though.

I'm fairly positive they never did that with Thunder. I do remember in mid-2000, they started taping Thunder right after Nitro. But I'm fairly positive they never started taping two Thunders in one night.

EDIT: Wow, I stand corrected. They were doing that. How did I forget that? Shows how much I paid attention to Thunder back then. They would air one live and then immediately tape next week's afterward.

From what I can see, August 26, 1998 was the first time they did it. The Thunder that aired on September 3, 1998 was taped right after the live August 26, 1998 show.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm fairly positive they never did that with Thunder. I do remember in mid-2000, they started taping Thunder right after Nitro. But I'm fairly positive they never started taping two Thunders in one night.

EDIT: Wow, I stand corrected. They were doing that. How did I forget that? Shows how much I paid attention to Thunder back then. They would air one live and then immediately tape next week's afterward.

From what I can see, August 26, 1998 was the first time they did it. The Thunder that aired on September 3, 1998 was taped right after the live August 26, 1998 show.

Mr. Enigma was wrong about something? I don't know what to believe anymore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I swear that like every game I want to buy comes out in the next 3-4 weeks. Kingdom Hearts, Puppeteer, GTA, Rayman, Wonderful 101, that new Mickey platformer and Total War

jred2k

I wanna get Rayman, but it having uPlay on PC is kind of gross. Aside from GTA and Pokemon X/Y there really isn't anything this year I don't feel like I can't just wait for. I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep my PS4 preorder. None of the launch games really jump out at me.

Wrestling related:

Just watched Michaels/Bulldog WWF Title match from KotR and it made me really wish Owen was still around to do commentary. He was so good, especially his arguments with Vince. Vince sounds so in to the matches too.

I wanna get Rayman, but it having uPlay on PC is kind of gross. Aside from GTA and Pokemon X/Y there really isn't anything this year I don't feel like I can't just wait for. I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep my PS4 preorder. None of the launch games really jump out at me.

Wrestling related:

Just watched Michaels/Bulldog WWF Title match from KotR and it made me really wish Owen was still around to do commentary. He was so good, especially his arguments with Vince. Vince sounds so in to the matches too.

I was watching that PPV live via ScrambleVision (yay 1996) just DYING at Owen's commentary. I seem to remember him ranting about that "smelly Mexican Jose Lothario" and cracking me up

RBH

The pop for Warrior when he ran in post-match was great.

Entropia

No One Remembers

here goes with the cover One.... TWO... HE GOT HIM!... No! Only two!

The way his voice changes during the count was hilarious

Watched Survivor Series '90 - that Bret vs DiBiase finishing stretch to the Million $ Team vs Dream Team match was so freaking good. Also, I forgot how close to the mark some of those Sgt. Slaughter promos were, what with the Gulf War in progress. Crazy.

KenOD

I figure some of you are always looking around for different sites to check out. A wrestling forum that actually has some old time bookers and promoters from the States and Canada. http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/

Worth looking around at least.

By all accounts it was because no one actually took the show seriously. There is the main show and then there is the squash show,/filling international requirements show/try out show back then. WCW Main Event, Power Hour, and Prime were all more important shows to the wrestlers and production team really.

You know strobogo's classic WCW reviews are great but I think they could do well in there own thread in the OT.

I bet people who where fans of wrestling back then but dont visit wrasslegaf might get a kick out of reading them. They are really good and they get buried in here a little.

Maybe someone should have suggested this a few months ago...

KenOD

Actually speaking of classic WCW and those weekend shows. I've come across tapes for WCW/NWA Gauntlet series on VHS. Worth getting to watch? Its cheap, but I really don't know anything about 1990 WCW and it sounds like an awful mess by the Wikipedia summary.

Yeah Ive been thoroughly enjoying them, and just clicked that when he said he had done 2000/2001, that they are out probably there for my reading pleasure! Have just loaded up a bunch for my flight tomorrow!

Top Bottom