• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

strobogo

Banned
A shovel and a crutch on the plates. Boy, that says a lot.

My least favorite may be the Divas one. It feels so cheap and shitty of them to make it a butterfly.

The other one was a straight rip off of the ECW Championship.

title_display_image.jpg

strobogo

Banned
UFC belts are great for sure. The post NWA WCW Championship would be fine if it wasn't the follow up to Big Gold. I really like the pre and post Big Gold NWA Championship.

Kaladin

Nothing beats the big gold belt

While I like the look of the big gold belt.....if you don't know what it is, you have to look real close to know it's a wrasslin belt....and then you have to really look to know it's a WWE/WCW belt. So yeah....it looks cool, but it doesn't identify itself very well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If I make a "cool-ass championship belts" topic will you guys post a bunch of these and others?

strobogo

Banned
As a kid, I thought it looked terrrrrible, but as an adult I really like the green WWF Championship that Backlund, Sheik, and Hogan wore. It's very old school boxing styled.

Make the thread, Sunny.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Starrcade 12/27/98

Kidman vs Juventud Guerrera vs Rey Mysterio Jr. WCW Cruiserweight Championship

I'll just give you the gifs. Triple threats, especially of the cruiser variety, are too fast to write the action down. Eddie tried to cost Kidman the match, but Kidman ended up rolling Juvi up anyway. Eddie gets pissed at both Rey and Juvi. He repeatedly calls Kidman a creampuff, shoves Juvi to the ground and calls him an embarrassment, and then challenges Kidman to a match right now. That DWEEB.

iK4siIVYAKoV9.gif

ibrrR4fiUII7nJ.gif

iLD4nlhZ2xMjk.gif

iGpXbySQiakuZ.gif

Eddie Guerrero vs Kidman WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Kidman obliges. But he wants the match right now, with Eddie not getting a chance to get his gear on. Eddie goes right to work with a lariatoo, powerbomb, and Flapjack Norton. Juvi tries to help with an abdominal stretch. Rey breaks it up. Kidman makes a short flurry that is cut off by a chop block. Eddie tries to get Kidman riled up to expend what energy Kidman has left. Eddie takes his work boot off and drills Kidman in the head with it. He throws it at Rey, which sadly was a bad spot on the tape. Brainbustaah. Eddie goes back to the leg. Rey uses the shoe to get Eddie's hands off the ropes and to bonk Juvi. Eddie does a rope walk rana with one shoe on. YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN. Actually, he did right at the start of the match and I didn't even realize the significance. Slingshot leg drop. Juvi trips Kidman up on the ropes. Rey throws Eddie off. SSP for the win. I'm sure the show will be all down hill from here. A half hour of four of the best cruisers in the world at the time. Kidman's SSP was so ugly, though. Unrelated to the match, but I find it so strange that cruiserweights in wrestling are 215 and under (sometimes 225), yet 205 and up is heavyweight in real fighting.

iMoF8OKJT0rtU.gif

Norman Smiley vs TAFKATAFKAPI

What a random bullshit match for the biggest show of the year. Even worse when you consider that Norman has defeated Prince twice in the last 3 weeks with ease, including in under a minute on this past Nitro. Oh well, maybe Norman will have a great dance gif. We get maybe the most intense Big Wiggle of all time that people popped HUGE for. God, this sucked. Prince was terrible. Why are they even having a match when Norman completely dominated him twice in a row? He beat Prince clean in a minute on Nitro, but now they're having a 10 minute match on the biggest show of the year. And Norman again wins completely clean with the chickenwing.

iMGD9Vbt7IgXS.gif

Scott Hall comes to the ring in an Outsiders shirt. He says 1998 has not been the best year for him, both in and out of the ring. He and Nash used to ride up and down the roads and talk about what it would be like to be the main mayne. He goes on to say he doesn't have to prove anything to the fans or Nash. 1999 will be his year.

Recap of Bam Bam's rampage over the last month and a half.

The Cat vs Saturn

Cat gives the 5 count and gets decked when he turns around. He slides back into the ring, but doesn't quite make it all the way. Show has fallen off a cliff already. This isn't good. At all. The best part of the match is Cat's stalling tactics. Here is the finish: Cat holds Saturn for Sonny to kick him. Saturn moved and Sonny kicked Cat. Cat kicked Sonny. Saturn hits the DVD for the win.

ibxw6kRvdVd7OW.gif

TO THE MEAN BY GOD GENE.
The other Horsemen have been barred from the building. He's going to rip eyes, break bones, kick dicks, and so forth.

TO THE BACK. Steiner and Buff threaten Konnan. Lex prevented anything from happening.

Brian Adams/Scott Norton vs Fit Finlay/Jerry Flynn

I think this is the Starrcade equivalent of the WM pre-show battle royal. No way should Crush and Jerry Flynn be getting a Starrcade match, let alone one booked the night of the show. Norton pins Flynn with a powerbomb.

TO THE MEAN GENE. Eric Bischoff has cool music. He wants to set the record straight. He is saddened by Ric Flair's decision to participate in the match tonight. In the 104 years that he's been in the ring, Ric has never saved a nickel.

Chris Jericho vs Konnan WCW TV Championship

Jericho was about to start a promo when Konnan's music video played instead. Gross. This show. Konnan, Crush, Prince. All on the biggest show of the year. Disgusting. Jericho taps out.

ibgk5fqHrrQpKs.gif

Eric Bischoff vs Ric Flair

Flair immediately chases Eric and starts chopping the shit out of him. Eye gouges, face stretching, knee drop. Eric completely no sells 2 minutes of leg work to kick Ric in the head. Flair falls to the floor. He gets rammed into the guard rail. I'm going to assume he bladed. Holy shit, Bischoff is legit knocking the shit out of RIC FLAIR at STARRCADE. Flair is bleeding and bumping for Eric Bischoff. How ridiculous. Flair gets tired of it and does a series of low blows, then takes Bischoff's shirt off and starts chopping him. Ref bump. Shattered Dreams! Vertical suplex. Figure four! Curt Hennig runs in and gives Eirc an international object. He hits Flair with it. Your winner, Eric Bischoff. Nonsense. It really should have been like Bret vs Vince, but 10 minutes shorter. Flair should have knocked the shit out of Eric for 8 minutes, bloodied him, and left him for dead. He definitely shouldn't have been blading and bumping around for Eric Bischoff. At least when Vince fights back, you can believe that he could knock you on your ass. Even with Bischoff's kick boxing training, he never looked like he could hurt a kid if he hit them.

ie6f1UrHRa0Je.gif

The Giant vs DDP

DDP tries for the Kanyon Cutter right away. He knocks Giant to the floor. Giant hits a lariatoo while out there. Giant punches DDP, who just happens to grab a trash can that was sitting in the front row to block it. Giant then sends him into the ring post and steps. In the ring, Giant works over the leg. DDP stupidly tries his "grab a dude by the collar (if he had one) and throw him in the corner" move on the god damn Giant. Bear hug spot. This isn't very interesting. Powerslam. Back to the bear hug. Sunset flip is countered into the chokebreaker. CZFNW! DDP hits a big DDT. Giant throws DDP off the pin, which sends him flying onto the ref. Bret comes out with a chair. He accidentally hit Giant. DDP then low blew him. Diving lariatooo. And another. Giant puts DDP on the top for a chokeslam, but DDP turns it into a Kanyon Cutter in mid air. BANG! DDP wins.

ibhULiBX9sFZVi.gif

ibmGBUntsMmOGo.gif

Goldberg vs Kevin Nash WCW Championship

They lock up. No one gets the advantage. Nash grabs a headlock. Goldberg can't throw him off, so he suplexes him instead. Nash goes to the corner and hits a series of elbows and knees. Goldberg catches a boot and throws Nash down. Nash counters with a CROSS ARM BREAKER. KEVIN NASH. One punch puts Nash on his ass. Spear! Nash low blows out of the jackhammer. Sidewalk slam. Flying balls to the back. Nash works over the kidneys. Short arm lariatoo. Goldberg counters with the spinning neckbreaker. Superkick. Powerslam. Spinning kick thing. Disco runs out and gets handily handled. Bam Bam also runs in. He also is disposed of. Scott Hall uses a cattle prod on Goldberg. Nash hits the jackknife. New champion! The streak is over!

iT4bW0VwkaYtb.gif

itkCuTGnQ7i2Q.gif

This show as...not good. No where near as bad as WW3, though. Goldberg/Nash was the best non-cruiser match on the show, which I guess doesn't really say a whole lot. I have no problem with the match or the finish. Goldberg had to lose sometime, and it took 3 dudes in a row interfering to put him down. I get the theory of it all. Goldberg is cheated out of his title, the nWo reforms, and Goldberg has to start the chase all over again. That makes sense and is a tried and tested booking strategy. But having Nash lay down to Hogan a few days later and then have zero resolution to the angle was a huge mistake and retroactively makes the finish bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man Starrcade 98 is probably one of the most giffable shows out there. Amazing picks, especially that Saturn/Cat gif. So good.

Juvi was phenomenal. It's too bad he's such an asshole and everyone hates him, because he's SO GOOD.

strobogo

Banned
The O-face Big Wiggle is probably my favorite from all of them. Definitely going in my big gif post after the next Nitro. I'm doing it in OT. I need help with a title, though. I was thinking something like WCW 1998 a year in gifs (GIF HEAVY) or something similar.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The O-face Big Wiggle is probably my favorite from all of them. Definitely going in my big gif post after the next Nitro. I'm doing it in OT. I need help with a title, though. I was thinking something like WCW 1998 a year in gifs (GIF HEAVY) or something similar.

Even something simpler - "I watched all of WCW in 1998 and here are the gifs"

I'd keep it to 2 gifs per post - people can then discuss them and it won't be insta-browser murder.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Starrcade might sadly be the best PPV you've covered in the back half of the year.

So much time spent on mid card non feud matches though.

Also Bitchoff is maybe the third funnest character to use in Revenge. Kicking dudes erryday.

The problem isn't with how he lost the belt, or even necessarily who he lost the belt to (though that is the issue in the end when what happens happens) but man, the Goldberg reign is awful and its all due to politicking. People joked about CM Punk being the mid card champion in 2012 but at least he was always on the card and was in meaningful matches all damn year long. He should have gone through Hennig, Hart, Sting, Luger, DDP, a rematch with Hogan for fuck's sake but noo, had to be second banana to whatever the icon was doing.

It still bums me out to think how over Nash was in 1998 and how he'd play one of the bigger roles in ruining this company. His 1999 feuds are even worse if possible.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, Starrcade 98 is one of my most vivid wrestling memories. That PPV aired on German free tv on the 31st, I was 15 and had to tape it, after I got home, way to drunk at around 3 AM I watched it. The ending made me so mad, After being bored the entire PPV, I got treated to Goldberg losing that way and to Nash of all people? (I have and will always hate Kevin Nash, black hole of entertainment).

I remember this and the fingerpoke of doom like it was yesterday, because it was the moment I gave up on WCW.

strobogo

Banned
Halloween Havoc was definitely the best show in the second half of the year and it wasn't even that good. I knew going in that 2000 was awful, but I really wasn't expecting 1998 to be as bad as it was.

Alucard

Banned
Hey guys, a couple of questions about the United States Championship:

1) Can it only be held by an American citizen?
2) Can it only be defended in the United States?
3) Is it supposed to represent the "best" wrestler in the United States? Kind of weird since the World Champ would be better than the US Champ and is able to defend in the states, no? Wrestling logic.

Hey guys, a couple of questions about the United States Championship:

1) Can it only be held by an American citizen?
2) Can it only be defended in the United States?
3) Is it supposed to represent the "best" wrestler in the United States? Kind of weird since the World Champ would be better than the US Champ and is able to defend in the states, no? Wrestling logic.

Where is the Intercontinent and who lives there?

Scottify

Like many others, I have to go with these two as my two favorite belts. It brings back a lot of memories of my youth watching Superstars, Saturday Night's Main Event, etc...

world-heavyweight-old-championship-belt.jpg

wwe-belts-7.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Halloween Havoc was definitely the best show in the second half of the year and it wasn't even that good. I knew going in that 2000 was awful, but I really wasn't expecting 1998 to be as bad as it was.

I remember warning you during 2000 reviews when you said something about 1998 that it wasn't that good, especially in the back half.

The golden era of WCW with hogan is the back half of 1996 and all of 1997, even though you will get sick of the 30 minute ICON I am so great, have bisch suck me off promos.

I don't know about the golden era of pre hogan but I'd imagine any promotion with Sting, a motivated Vader, Stunning Steve Austin and Cactus Jack has got to be good.

You are right to avoid 1999 though even though I really want you to review it. It's soulless until Russo shows up. He is the savior of WCW from that at the very least. His trainwreck is fun to watch.

strobogo

Banned
The pre-Hogan prime of WCW was most definitely late 1991-1993 and a little into 1994. This was the period of the Dangerous Alliance, Sting as his best, Vader at his best, Cactus, Dustin and Windham, the Hollywood Blonds. A lot of great stuff that was definitely blowing the WWF out of the water in the ring. But there was also a whole lot of straight up garbage.

I don't know about the golden era of pre hogan but I'd imagine any promotion with Sting, a motivated Vader, Stunning Steve Austin and Cactus Jack has got to be good.

you could argue pre-WCW NWA from the early 80s to around the time Hogan came to WCW in the early 90s was an amazing run.

Sunflower, i really need to find the right song to get you into Burning Starr.

somedevil

Man, the marks have gone crazy with the preliminary buyrate of Summerslam being 298,000 down from 358,000 last year but larger than 296,000 from 2011. Most likely when the final number comes out in November it will be above 300,000 which I find pretty good.

Everyone seems like this is a bad number with Marks blaming Punk and Bryan and the PWTorch of course blaming Triple H.

The thing is I find it not a bad number with it beating two years ago number with it being during the Summer of Punk. The thing was last years number was good because of Brock Lesnar being a draw domestically because the International number went up this year.

It just seems like Lesnar drawing ability peaked at Summerslam 2012 and hasn't been the same since. So does anyone think that Summerslam doing over 300,000 buys is bad?

Toki767

300,000 buys for SummerSlam sounds good when you consider that not only was it basically booked as a two-match show, but the booking for the Bryan/Cena match itself focused more on Vince/HHH than it did on Bryan/Cena.

It feels like when Vince was about to cancel Survivor Series PPVs in general a few years ago when the buyrate came in to be super low because the build to the main event which was Cena/HHH/HBK focused on making gay jokes instead of being about the title.

Top Bottom