• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There was a brief working agreement between AAA and WWE, the only real thing that came out of it was the rumble match and appearances.

Yeah, it was fun but sad seeing the crowd not know what the fuck to think. At least WCW had busted their asses with cruiserweights, but the typical WWE fan didn't know wtf they were looking at.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
busted their ass putting the gringos over on them 99 times out of a hundred and then keeping around for when a big white guy needed to get some cheap heat by knocking them all out in ten seconds.

At least WCW had busted their asses with cruiserweights, but the typical WWE fan didn't know wtf they were looking at.

Not really surprising, what with the way WWE has always treated outside companies on their broadcasts. It's nice that they mention Bryan's past, for instance, but it's like there's a company-wide mandate that whenever anyone mentions outside promotions it has to be in the context of bingo halls and high school gyms.

Inter-promotional stuff is awesome, imo, but Vince has always preferred his Universe™ to exist within its own little bubble.

Working on the gif thread now. 30 gifs in the OP. Not for the faint of heart.

*closes Chrome, loads up Firefox in anticipation*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not really surprising, what with the way WWE has always treated outside companies on their broadcasts. It's nice that they mention Bryan's past, for instance, but it's like there's a company-wide mandate that whenever anyone mentions outside promotions it has to be in the context of bingo halls and high school gyms.

Inter-promotional stuff is awesome, imo, but Vince has always preferred his Universe™ to exist within its own little bubble.

*closes Chrome, loads up Firefox in anticipation*

To be fair that is the only thing that is good for business. If they started treating TNA as equals in any regards it brings legitimacy to their company. Theres really nothing for the WWE to gain in doing promotions with anybody basically.

strobogo

Banned
I think it would make sense for WWE to do interpromotional stuff in places like Mexico and Japan, but that would do nothing for them in the US at all.

Obviously it makes no sense to promote your direct competitors (even if they have zero chance of making a dent in your business), but WWE working with CMLL or New Japan would be really cool to see. Also, I loved those crazy multi-promotion supershows Japan used to put on - WWF/SWS, WCW/NJPW, WWF/AJPW/NJPW, etc. Leads to a lot of interesting match-ups.

somedevil

I think it would make sense for WWE to do interpromotional stuff in places like Mexico and Japan, but that would do nothing for them in the US at all.

I would love a New Japan and WWE interpromotional thing to happen but it wouldn't benefit the WWE really because 99% percent of there audience doesn't know these guys while in Japan the WWE has better recognition.

From John Pollock:

No Review-An-Impact this week but watching this closing promo makes me sad we couldn't get a show out this week, sorry

Sucks that the UFC took away a Pollock rant about that closing promo.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
wSOLdUI.jpg

SELF HIGH-FIVE

Evan Bourne's little brother Mike Sydal has signed with Dragon Gate and will be moving out to Japan to live as a trainee in the Dragon Gate dojo.

Expect him to be well on the juice next time you see him, Dragon Gate guys love that juice.

I would love a New Japan and WWE interpromotional thing to happen but it wouldn't benefit the WWE really because 99% percent of there audience doesn't know these guys while in Japan the WWE has better recognition.

Hold supershows in Japan where the audience are familiar with both companies, then do talent exchanges to give younger wrestlers some international experience. I'm sure there's a bunch of guys in the NXT locker room that could benefit from a tour or two of Japan.

Jamie OD

There was a brief working agreement between AAA and WWE, the only real thing that came out of it was the rumble match and appearances.

I think another reason for the relationship was because of the location. WWF wanted to do everything it could to get a good gate in San Antonio and AAA drew well there at the time.

strobogo

Banned
Were Cole and JBL extra docile on Smackdown or has Schiavone spoiled me? They sound so unbelievably bored. Maybe the seagull pops aren't a bad thing if that's what an unsweetened Smackdown crowd sounds like.

I just watched a load of those NXT promos that leaked. The ones I watched were actually really good, I'm very impressed with the promo ability of a lot of them. Not sure what the process is, how they've been coaching the wrestlers as of late, but the standard seems higher than it was.

Best was easily Enzo Amore and Big Cass but if you watch the NXT show then that's no surprise. They're probably not amazing in the ring (they've only really been wrestling actual matches for a short time, they were jobbers before) but as characters, God tier. Scott Dawson and Alexa Bliss are good as well, assuming that Alexa's gonna turn up on the TV show at some point.

Also liked that weird skit where Mason Ryan played a McDonalds employee who accidentally kills Adrian Neville and Tyler Breeze. That should be his gimmick. After the collapse of NuNexus he began working in catering.
Got a link for these?

Kaladin

Were Cole and JBL extra docile on Smackdown or has Schiavone spoiled me? They sound so unbelievably bored. Maybe the seagull pops aren't a bad thing if that's what an unsweetened Smackdown crowd sounds like.

I miss Tony Schiavone (fuck the spelling of his last name btw) calling wrasslin. He was one of the greatest and he'll never get recognized for it because he left after WCW died.

He could still be calling today if he stuck around WWE or went to TNA.

I'm sure some people here listen to the MLW podcast, but am I the only finding Court Bauer really irritating lately.

There's something about him that makes him come off as smug and he sounds like he tries so hard to be cool.

Also, he keeps talking about Eastbound and Down, what exactly does he do on it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure some people here listen to the MLW podcast, but am I the only finding Court Bauer really irritating lately.

There's something about him that makes him come off as smug and he sounds like he tries so hard to be cool.

Also, he keeps talking about Eastbound and Down, what exactly does he do on it?

Just watches it, to my knowledge.

I've always been alright with him but I also rarely listen to MLW so that may be part of it. I only listen to Bauer & Pollock.

strobogo

Banned
Yes. The beard of evil, the KISS shirt, everything. Never mind how ridiculous it is to bring in a former commentator to SHOOT and say a bunch of insidery stuff, beach bum sexual harassing bitter Schiavone was boss.

Kaladin

Yes. The beard of evil, the KISS shirt, everything. Never mind how ridiculous it is to bring in a former commentator to SHOOT and say a bunch of insidery stuff, beach bum sexual harassing bitter Schiavone was boss.

The greatest night in the history of our sport.

strobogo

Banned
Tenay was legit shook. He made it really awkward with stumbling over lines and over explaining things. I want a ring tone of Tony saying BULLSHIT. Russo telling Tenay to blow him was also pretty choice. I want to be friends with Tony on Facebook, but I don't want to invade his privacy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How the bloody fuck did Russo stay on so long in TNA?

I get that he was good buddies with Double J, that explains the first run. Everything else though...

Kaladin

Tenay was legit shook. He made it really awkward with stumbling over lines and over explaining things. I want a ring tone of Tony saying BULLSHIT. Russo telling Tenay to blow him was also pretty choice. I want to be friends with Tony on Facebook, but I don't want to invade his privacy.

Tony was right about one thing though, Russo jumped onto the Titanic before it hit the iceberg.

I'm watching this Schiavone segment, and while I love the 6+ minutes of him and Russo unloading on Tenay, I'd like to know if it makes any broader sense in context. Apparently Schiavone only appeared one more time afterwards, and he didn't take Tenay's job or anything. What the hell Russo?

strobogo

Banned
That definitely stood out to me having seen the ice berg first hand. The revisionist history on Russo killing WCW is BULLSHIT. I just like the way Tony said it. And tits. But as for Russo, even in WCW he didn't get final say over angles. Even though he was head writer, there was still a booking committee and higher ups that vetoed things. TNA is really the only place we've seen unfiltered Russo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One funny thing is that "shoot" said that Tenay stood by tradition and none of those events would have happened if he had his way. He does seem like the type but he was also the driving force behind Goldberg's character and push.

GolazoDan

Got a link for these?
Of course! Here's the channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WorkhorseWWE?feature=watch

Choice picks:

Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady (bonus Paige!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxhRlFhVzA
Tyler Breeze, Adrian Neville & Scott Dawson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFY5cJ-3X14
Solomon Crowe (Sami Callihan) & Cal Bishop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdwZMvgYPI
Simon Gotch (Ryan Drago from the indies, very good!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1-8Wjf4Kw
Shaun Ricker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-3B5WHgwk
Scott Dawson & Alexa Bliss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145vACrn_g8
Paige & Bailey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGIUIfZdp0s
Mason Ryan, Adrian Neville, Tyler Breeze & Knuckles Madsen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znYlxmmLtQ

There's also a Buddy Murphy promo where he jokes about killing his wife and kids. Yeah.

strobogo

Banned
Tenay didn't stand by tradition at all, though. Dude was a smark writing for DA DIRT SHEETS while jerking off to little dudes flipping around. There isn't anything traditional about cruiserweights and lucha, no matter how old lucha is. Tenay is a tool. Always has been, but he's become more of a tool over the years in TNA.

tumblr_lzxgbuO1zt1qj38xmo1_500.png

1287%20-%20mike_tenay%20tna.png

tonywut-o.gif

Kaladin

Tenay is still good play-by-play though. He just needs someone better than Tazz to work off.

Though, I don't know of anyone who is a good wrestling color commentator these days.

GolazoDan

Tenay is still good play-by-play though. He just needs someone better than Tazz to work off.

Though, I don't know of anyone who is a good wrestling color commentator these days.
NXT's colour commentators are good. Alex Riley, William Regal and of course the beautiful Brad Maddox. Unfortunately that Dawson dude they're with is a bit of a robot.

Regal's an awesome color commentator.

I love how even jobbers get a fair shake when he's commenting - he'll sell how painful a move is, how much experience they have, how they want to get the bigger payday for winning (imagine that - wins and losses having actual consequence!), etc. I even recall him saying that Heath Slater had an advantage because his face was so annoying to his opponents, it'd throw them off their game.

I like Maddox, but his commentary was rather poor, at least what I've seen of it so far.

GolazoDan

Regal's an awesome color commentator.

I love how even jobbers get a fair shake when he's commenting - he'll sell how painful a move is, how much experience they have, how they want to get the bigger payday for winning (imagine that - wins and losses having actual consequence!), etc. I even recall him saying that Heath Slater had an advantage because his face was so annoying to his opponents, it'd throw them off their game.

I like Maddox, but his commentary was rather poor, at least what I've seen of it so far.
Maddox is basically doing his character. I mostly like him ripping on Dawson although Regal's put-downs are always more cutting, :-(.

Regal loves him some Scott Dawson.

Kaladin

You're right....Regal is the best color guy today. He should be on Raw with his talent, but it's best for business that he's on NXT I think because he can put over anyone.

strobogo

Banned
Hulk Hogan burns the Wrestling Observer

This was so weird and random. Remember Dark Hogan? His feud with the Dungeon of Doom made him crazy, so he shaved his mustache, started wearing all black, and teased a heel turn. This is the night when he went back to the red and yellow and rambled about the Observer being a dinosaur compared to the internet, which now had all the SCOOPS, brotherjackdude.

GolazoDan

Yeah, Regal's commentary works better in NXT. The storyline's aren't too overbearing so the matches are actually about the wrestling for the most part and Regal knows what he's going on about. If he was on Raw he'd be lost with all the stuff that Vince is yelling at them to mention. I do quite like JBL on Raw apart from (1) when he got kinda butthurt over AJ's tattoo and (2) when he shoehorns in a soccerball reference. Never sounds natural, mate. Quit it.

(._.)

Banned
I've noticed the WWE has a ton of new/fresh talent that's over. A lot of guys from the last 3-5 years that make up most of the roster and programming. All they need to do is get rid of Orton, HHH, Jericho, Big Show, Mark Henry, Christian, Kane and Cena for good and you have a whole new era to work with that isn't overshadowed by stars that have been milked the last 8+ or so years. RVD was out for a while so he is kind of fresh again. They need to keep the stars circulating every five years or so to keep it fresh and interesting. I'm surprised. They milked the same 8 or so wrestlers for far too long and most of them are gone which is good. Really hope Batista doesn't come back. I may start watching weekly again if they get rid of the last few stale guys that still get airtime.

Cena probably has at least 2-3 good years of full-time wrestling left, or maybe even more, at which point he'll get the Taker/Rock part-timer schedule and come back for Manias, and maybe a few other big'uns. Dude's only 36, though given his insane schedule, he probably has a lot of wear and tear on his body and shouldn't be full-time for too much longer.

Kaladin

Cena probably has at least 2-3 good years of full-time wrestling left, or maybe even more, at which point he'll get the Taker/Rock part-timer schedule and come back for Manias, and maybe a few other big'uns. Dude's only 36, though given his insane schedule, he probably has a lot of wear and tear on his body and shouldn't be full-time for too much longer.

I'd say Cena has 5 years left in him. He'll probably retire around 40 unless injuries prevent him from going that long. 5 years puts him at 41 which is probably a fair guess if he's injury free.

Full “Destruction” card on 9/29:
NJPW “DESTRUCTION”, 29.09.2013 (WPW/PPV/iPPV)
Kobe World Hall
0. Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tiger Mask, BUSHI & Takaaki Watanabe
1. Special Tag Match: Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA vs. TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
2. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway vs. Jushin Thunder Liger
3. Special 8 Man Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Captain New Japan & ??? vs. Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga, Rey Bucanero & Bad Luck Fale
4. Special Singles Match: Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki
5. Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
6. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt
7. NEVER Openweight Title vs. Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title Contendership: Masato Tanaka (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
8. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Shelton Benjamin
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Satoshi Kojima

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw

Gettin hype for this. Card is stacked . Tho the prospect of Ron Conway beating liger is lame

I'd say Cena has 5 years left in him. He'll probably retire around 40 unless injuries prevent him from going that long. 5 years puts him at 41 which is probably a fair guess if he's injury free.

Maybe. I have to hope, for his sake, and the product's, that they see they have a good thing in folks like Bryan, The Shield, NXT, etc. and at least give him a diminished role at some point in the next few years. He could just wrestle the Rumble, Mania, Summerslam, and Survivor Series, and leave the smaller PPVs for the younger guys to get over, without anything being particularly different. Hell, if anything, they could probably partially turn around the IWC's opinion on him if they saved him for the big marquee matches where he actually gives a shit, tries, and puts on a good performance.

Edit: I'm glad The Shield has been together for almost a full year, and likely will be together until at least Mania, if the storyline they're doing right now is booked long-term.

Now they just need to start getting, y'know, promo time, well-built feuds, etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I want to watch more Bruiser Brody work. Anyone spent a good amount of time watching his work and have any recommends?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WWE should do whatever it takes to get CM Punk as their color commentator when he retires, even if it means backing up a trunk of WWF ice cream bars to his house.

WWE should do whatever it takes to get CM Punk as their color commentator when he retires, even if it means backing up a trunk of WWF ice cream bars to his house.

When Punk retires, I think he'll be perfectly happy sitting on his ass in Chicago for the rest of his life. Maybe they could get him back for appearances, once in a while, or on a "Legends" contract, but he's said before that he doesn't want to be a "lifer", and he's certainly not happy if he doesn't have the spotlight, so I tend to think that when he's done, he's done.

Top Bottom