• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
get out of here with your efed shit

new portiage
proxy.jpg

I assume the NJPW Ustream is Japanese-only?

Even so, I'm thinking of spending my WWE PPV money on Destruction instead.

Yeah, there's no English commentary, as of yet - but it's fairly easy to follow once you know who's who and there's a bunch of people in WrassleGAF who can answer any questions you might have.

Kaladin

The Triple H doc isn't as good as the Foley or Punk docs. He's candid about some topics....but everyone except Taker is in full on ass kisser mode. The most interesting stuff to me was the stuff with Stephanie and not because it was new or anything, but because it was coming from them....which is new.

Anyone else in the Ohio are going to the Olde Wrestling show tomorrow? Looks like it should be an awful lot of fun.

extravaganza-poster.jpg

An Extravaganza of Wrestling Exhibitions

Get ready to fig your wig, this wrestling event is HOT to TROT!

The EXTRAVAGANZA! is a one-night wrestling/reenactment event celebrating the competition of professional wrestling as it was presented at the turn-of-the-20th century. Taking place in Norwalk, Ohio, we’re focused on providing family-friendly wrestling entertainment in a new and exciting way.

The EXTRAVAGANZA! is much more than just a exhibition of vintage professional wrestling. We are creating an atmosphere that will feel as if attendees have stepped back in time.
In addition to wrestling, we have: a ringmaster, ragtime band, additional old timey entertainment.

The Moonshinin' Men of Appalachia is an awesome tag team name for Chuck & Jock. Looks like a real fun show, that main event should be great. Cross is pretty underrated.

Still sounds like Low Ki is a bitch.

Shake hands, job, and give up seats to women you BITCH.

Low Ki's pride is going to get himself killed.

Anybody ever hear the story where Ki/Cide and company like, pulled a knife on a dude in the locker room and basically threatened to kill him?

It's basically Ki thinks he can't get in trouble without realizing that he pretty clearly can and will get A: get the shit beat out of him B: get fired

Actually the closer you are to the camera does not in fact make you look taller. Eye levels would still be the same.

Gee thanks for telling the ring cameraman about perspective :p

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 2/11/99

Show starts with Torrie talking to the camera man person whatever from Nitro. Maybe it's a Deadite she's talking to.

Mike Enos/Bobby Duncum Jr. vs Faces of Fear

Bobby and Mike should be eliminated from this tournament. They've lost twice. It's double elimination. This is now the 3rd time this match has taken place in this tournament. The first two had nWo interference. Still, Enos/Duncum should be eliminated since they've lost to The Outsiders and Perfect/Windham. This match shouldn't be happening at all. Actually, I think FoF might have two loses as well. Maybe this is the losers losers bracket. This is like a 15 minute match. I like that Thunder has long matches now, but I don't like that they suck. Barbarian turns on Meng and costs them the match. Jimmy reunited the team specifically to win the tournament. Now he's telling Barb to turn on Meng.

iH8JicgKG8Fx0.gif

Recap of Raven Bueller's Day Off.

Recap of Kim getting thrown out of a car.

Back to Raven's Day Off.

Lash LeRoux vs Super Calo

Calo Cara? Sin Calo? He's definitely going to botch something. Lash was a Saturday Night kind of guy. He wasn't good enough to be on Nitro and Thunder and eventually PPVs. He definitely got his push because he was white. Lash wins with the Whiplash in a short match. Calo botched, but nothing major.

Saturday night has Juvi vs Rey, Kidman, Benoit, and Booker. Seems like a way better show than this.

The second Torrie thing. I can't believe they're just full on putting all the backstage stuff from Nitro on Thunder, even in the same order.

TO THE BACK. Cat was talking with Sonny when Glacier came by, wearing Zubaz and a leather jacket. Glacier buries his own gimmick and tries to sell his entrance to Cat.

Fit Finlay/Dave Taylor vs Kidman/Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Kidman shouldn't be in the tag tournament, but whatever. This should be a lot more enjoyable than the last match. Chavo and Finlay start out. Chavo seems less crazy after the brutal murder of Pepe in front of his very eyes. Finlay is mean. It's great. Chavo rallies and tags in Kidman. Finlay hits a back breaker and we go to break. We come back to see Finlay beating on Chavo. Hot tag to Kidman. The run didn't last very long. Dave Taylor is also mean. A couple of mean Yuropes. Finlay Roll. Kidman goes flying to the floor. Finlay slaps the ring post, but gets back in the ring and locks in an STF. This is transitioned into a nasty hold where he put his foot in the back of Kidman's knee and yanked. Finlay gets a chair. Chavo dropkicks him, which actually sends to the chair into Kidman's head. Tombstone for the win. I believe the cruisers should be eliminated.

ibvKeNp4AfxIJh.gif

TO THE BACK. Glacier is now trying to sell his gear to Cat and Sonny. Kaz walks by and Sonny convinces Kaz to buy at extremely marked up prices. They were also subtitled. Remember just about a month and a half ago, Kaz was in a feud with Cat and Sonny? Actually, Sonny left Kaz for Cat.

Another Torrie/Deadite thing.

More of Raven's Day Off. What a maroon.

Disco Inferno vs Chris Adams

Adams got a jobber entrance. Nothing stops the Disco Train. Disco was cocky and paid in the opening moments.

TO THE BACK. Kaz is still getting fleeced. Who cares about the match? Cat buys the helmet and the eye. Kaz gets everything else.

Disco wins with the Chart Buster, which is somewhat ironic since Chris Adams trained Steve Austin. Disco looked grumpy after the match and his dancing was cut short to Brain to read copy for Clint Westwood in a Fistful of Donuts.

The final Torrie/Deadite thing airs.

TO THE BACK. Gene caught up with Kidman. Gene tries to stir the shit. Kidman tries to say it was just miscommunication. Gene says Chavo is trying to undermine Kidman. Chavo shows up and knocks Kidman on his ass.

Goldberg/BAGalow promo airs.

The end of Raven's Day Off.

Recap of Piper vs Hart from Nitro.

Recap of Hogan telling all the B Team members that they were the leader.

Kaz Hayashi/Van Hammer vs Chris Benoit/Dean Malenko

This is the main event. Hammer and Kaz in the main event. They also became a tag team tonight for the tournament that has been going on for a month and a half. And the brackets have still never been shown. I'm betting there will be an odd amount of teams competing, multiple teams will be have more than 2 loses, and some teams will be eliminated with 1 loss. A pretty nothing match that the Horsemen win. You know no one cares about Thunder when Benoit is half assing it.

iMeQKmhn6lhye.gif

DQ Count: 0 out of 5 matches

This was legitimately offensive that WCW just re aired most of the backstage stuff from Nitro. I'm amazed that they didn't air all the Janitor Bischoff stuff. A new low in lazy Thunders.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Looks like the GBA version to me.

GBA only had dope wrestling games like Fire Pro on it.

GBC nearly had an aki wrestling title that would have linked up with No Mercy so you could transfer over the other faces of foley.

If someone told me that was a PS2 game though I'd BOlieve them.

The Triple H doc isn't as good as the Foley or Punk docs. He's candid about some topics....but everyone except Taker is in full on ass kisser mode. The most interesting stuff to me was the stuff with Stephanie and not because it was new or anything, but because it was coming from them....which is new.

Michael Jordan of Wrestling.

Seriously, it really feels like Vince and the company are re-writing history to make Paul Levesque to be a bigger star and have a greater legacy than he really did. Dude was definitely the top heel and had some good matches but there were always higher draws than him (Michaels, Hart, Austin, Rock, Angle, Brock, Cena, Punk, etc). It's funny how he tried to bury Edge but he's only a rung higher on the ladder.

The documentary is good. Not as good as Punks. I still need to see Foleys and look forward to future documentaries like Savage, Bruno and eventual Warrior redux.

I think the thing with Triple H is he always drew ENOUGH that they could justify the nepotistic level of overexposure he got. The dude is certainly a top-level heel, but there's also a striking difference between pre-quad tear Haitch and post-quad tear Haitch, in in-ring terms.

Kaladin

Punk and Foley's are good because they are genuine underdogs in their life stories. HHH is just an antagonist in everyone else's life.

Triple H comes across as the guy that worked hard, but still had everything handed to him. His first wrestling trainer? Killer Kowalski....his first big promotion? WCW. He turned down a two year deal to get one year...and after one year in WCW he was negotiating with Vince McMahon to go to WWE, which he got. The only pitfall he seemed to have was Nash and Hall leaving and getting heat after that....but he essentially no sold that and married the boss's daughter....and now he's being given the reigns to the company. Oh and the quad tear....he did come back from that which is probably the toughest thing he's done.

His life story....for the average guy.....is hard to relate to. He's worked hard yeah, but everything just seems to come his way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, Grado is horrible. I don't understand the euro-flavored fascination with him. He's awful. Do all euros like his schtick?

DominoKid

Michael Jordan of Wrestling.

Seriously, it really feels like Vince and the company are re-writing history to make Paul Levesque to be a bigger star and have a greater legacy than he really did.
Dude was definitely the top heel and had some good matches but there were always higher draws than him (Michaels, Hart, Austin, Rock, Angle, Brock, Cena, Punk, etc). It's funny how he tried to bury Edge but he's only a rung higher on the ladder.

The documentary is good. Not as good as Punks. I still need to see Foleys and look forward to future documentaries like Savage, Bruno and eventual Warrior redux.

It's embarrassing honestly.

He did his thing, but it's ridiculous to see how they try and gas up his legacy like he was that dude when everybody knows he wasn't.

Just wanna say grats to my boy D-Bry and Bellllla Brianna.

I look forward to watching your romance on Total Divas (seriously).

Hope she's good to him!

strobogo

Banned
Triple H comes across as the guy that worked hard, but still had everything handed to him. His first wrestling trainer? Killer Kowalski....his first big promotion? WCW. He turned down a two year deal to get one year...and after one year in WCW he was negotiating with Vince McMahon to go to WWE, which he got. The only pitfall he seemed to have was Nash and Hall leaving and getting heat after that....but he essentially no sold that and married the boss's daughter....and now he's being given the reigns to the company. Oh and the quad tear....he did come back from that which is probably the toughest thing he's done.

His life story....for the average guy.....is hard to relate to. He's worked hard yeah, but everything just seems to come his way.

I see it totally differently. Dude is the most charmed mark of all time and guys on the internet think it came at the expense of their favorite wrestlers. It didn't. Benoit, Eddie, Stan Hansen, RVD, Booker T, or Scott Steiner were never going to be an executive or next Ric Flair.

A list of awesome things HHH got to do in his life:

Grew up as a Flair Mark, then got to BE Ric Flair with Ric as his Arn Anderson
His favorite band is Motorhead, who performed 3 entrance themes for him and played him out live on a few occasions
Married into the McMahon family, and is now on his way to being Vince himself

Charmed is really the only way to describe his life.

I see it totally differently. Dude is the most charmed mark of all time and guys on the internet think it came at the expense of their favorite wrestlers. It didn't. Benoit, Eddie, Stan Hansen, RVD, Booker T, or Scott Steiner were never going to be an executive or next Ric Flair.

His favorite band is Motorhead, who performed 3 entrance themes for him and played him out live on a few occasions

I think that, in another reality, Eddie could have been Flair big. Dude really was the total package, and he appealed to a demographic with a lot of fans without alot of credible competition - other than, maybe, Rey, who had less personality, especially at the time.

strobogo

Banned
A short Mexican was never going to be the same kind of character or promotion anchor that Flair was. Eddie's personality didn't even really start to shine until he got to the WWF.

Puerto Rico’s World Wrestling Council, had its 40th anniversary show on 9/21 at the Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum in Bayamon, PR.
The main attraction of the show was the Puerto Rican debut of Sting, who faced Carlito in the main event. When the battle of “The Icon” against the self-proclaimed Icon was announced, there were hopes that since Sting had never worked there in his 28 year career, that it would sell out. Instead, the crowd was 4,500 fans, barely half of what the Summer Madness show in San German, headlined by area legends Carlos Colon vs. Invader I for control of the company drew on 6/29. It was about the same as last year’s anniversary show with Carlito & Ray Gonzalez both putting up their hair against the masks of Thunder & Lightning.

from the observer

A short Mexican was never going to be the same kind of character or promotion anchor that Flair was. Eddie's personality didn't even really start to shine until he got to the WWF.

Not the same KIND of character, no, but the biggest wrestlers have almost always been the ones with some kind of archetypal resonance. And "short but heart-filled Mexican who lies, cheats, and steals wins, but for the betterment of his family and people", is certainly a character with alot of archetypal potential.

Perhaps he really "broke out" too late in his career to ever be Flair big, but I think there exists a credible reality where he could have been a truly massive star.

Regarding the plight of Ziggler, right now they don’t believe he’ll ever be a guy who draws money, and he’s pretty much demoralized at the same time because it doesn’t take someone that perceptive to see how his stock has dropped.

Also from meltzer, which yea

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haha Ziggler with that midcard stench on him nobody cares anymore

He was also a Harley Race mark and got to hang out with both those guys frequently.

Ziggler should have just stayed quiet Twitter killed him. Also his mic skills are horrible

Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie I think he's losing his touch. Vickie...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Jerry Blackwell (April 26, 1949 – January 22, 1995) was an American professional wrestler, better known by his ring name "Crusher" Jerry Blackwell.[1] Blackwell competed in the 1979 World's Strongest Man contest, but withdrew early in the competition due to an injury.[3] He was a main event star in the American Wrestling Association where he feuded with Mad Dog Vachon, Hulk Hogan, and "The Crusher" Reginald Lisowski.

Also one of the most underrated guys of that era. People knew he was good back then, but as time went by, people sort of forgot about Crusher's 'legacy' of being one of the first really mobile big men. Also had some rough matches with Bruiser Brody. Really carried on the Hansen tough guy image.
The best of Jerry "Crusher" Blackwell (no sound)
Crusher won't admit that he jumped Dino Bravo
Crusher vs Mad Dog
Brody vs Crusher

Thing is, much as I love Ziggler, I can't really disagree with the idea that he probably wouldn't ever be a big money-draw, unless his character were to change radically. There are many matches I'd love to see on PPV - Ziggler vs. D.Bry, Ziggler vs. Punk, Ziggler vs. Cesaro, Ziggler vs. Brock, Ziggler vs. Cody, Ziggler vs. Sandow, Ziggler vs. Zayn, etc., but I often feel like the reason I look forward to such matches is the way I know Ziggler will make the OTHER guy look. And unlike, say, Rollins, I couldn't see him ever capturing that Jeff Hardy "I don't give a fuck" teen girl fandom that could justify a main event-level push.

Maybe if he hadn't been booked as a total jobber and had his WHC run crushed by Swagger's foot, I'd have a different perspective, but right now, I don't see how Ziggler could bring his stock back up unless he were to find a way to incorporate more of the humor he shows on Twitter, in interviews, etc. and which he likely channels when he does his stand-up comedy. Dude has physical charisma up the ass, but he becomes a scared high schooler reading a report with a boner in front of the class when you put a mic in his hand.

Maybe he should go off and try the acting/stand-up comedy thing for a few years. If he could make SOME kind of name for himself independent of WWE, then he could maybe justify the idea that he would make them money. He simply has no clout right now.

Top Bottom