• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i76SsDgzgj1Gn.gif

I might use that in gaming.

Oh, right, the Kane joke, of course. Very clever. Go ask anyone with some know how in the actual wrestling business if they think Kane should be fired, and see what they say. Go ask Daniel Bryan or CM Punk or anyone else you may love, and see what they say.

They already use local jobbers in their matches, but sometimes, they want to see how a guy will compete going up against someone using the "WWE style", and that's what a guy like JTG is for. Have someone they want to sign go up against JTG in a dark match, and see how he fares. It's for checking how they would compete in a WWE environment.

And once again, you're stuck on the TV thing. My point to you has been that these guys are useful for stuff outside of TV.

Thing is, JTG doesn't even really work house shows and dark matches. He's probably wrestled as many times this year as I have fingers and toes, at least if the numbers I've seen thrown about are accurate.

Curt Hawkins is someone who fits the function you describe. He was a perfect person for Sami Zayn to beat in his NXT debut match. JTG, though, really is a mystery. Maybe Vince and/or Trips just like the guy and want him to keep getting a paycheck?

we all have fractions of moments when markness takes over.

it's gone now.

that does remind me i never owned a single wrestling game. i just played wrestlers in fighting games.

strobogo

Banned
It's so bad it looks like a GTA glitch. Who does the motion cap for that and how could they get away with doing it so poorly? Why don't they just use the animations from the game Goldberg was in since they have at least a handful of animations from the very first Smackdown still being used 2 generations later?

It's so bad it looks like a GTA glitch. Who does the motion cap for that and how could they get away with doing it so poorly? Why don't they just use the animations from the game Goldberg was in since they have at least a handful of animations from the very first Smackdown still being used 2 generations later?

I'm not sure if Goldberg is doing uppercuts or hardcore dancing

Also if they're keeping all these goddamn animations, I WANT THE FALLING CHOKESLAM ONE BACK

You know, the sitout chokeslam from Smackdown 1

And fuck it BRING BACK THE DOUBLE POWERBOMB/STOP DROP (aka my dumbass name for it)

strobogo

Banned
I'm so sick of people hyping HCTP as some super high point and great game. It's the same arcadey race to the finisher pop up after 3 in a row game as the 3 before and after it. The only thing that makes it stand out is the great roster. I think SvR 2006 is probably the best of the whole series.

There is no reason that people praise HCTP and also bitch about the same bullshit every year stuff. It's the same game as all the other ones.

I'm so sick of people hyping HCTP as some super high point and great game. It's the same arcadey race to the finisher pop up after 3 in a row game as the 3 before and after it. The only thing that makes it stand out is the great roster. I think SvR 2006 is probably the best of the whole series.

There is no reason that people praise HCTP and also bitch about the same bullshit every year stuff. It's the same game as all the other ones.

i'm telling you, man, best place to play as wrestlers are 3D fighting games. do WWE games even have inverted Burning Hammers?

http://youtu.be/4Ty43nKxgeo?t=5m31s

That animation system is too advanced, they can't port it down to the current engine.

But your hero that jackass bozo Bazza McDouche will buy it for his super "hey guys video game characters and references!" Championship wrestling show!

I'm happy that he's successful (he's even got a meeting with the 2k offices), but I've always said that I'd rather have fun playing wrestling games than watching them. I want the games to be fun again, and it seems like they never will be again, at least if the direction doesn't change.

G-Fex

I'm happy that he's successful (he's even got a meeting with the 2k offices), but I've always said that I'd rather have fun playing wrestling games than watching them. I want the games to be fun again, and it seems like they never will be again, at least if the direction doesn't change.
Nope don't think they're going to be fun for a long time

Meeting with 2k offices? Oh this shit as gone way way too far.

What a bigger smorgasbord of bullshit since Russo won the title

HCTP was the apex of the arcade style of the smackdown series, the gameplay added enough elements like the body damage system and retooled the grappling system so that it had more depth than its predecessors but didn't walk into going full blown sim style retaining the fast paced quirkiness that made the earlier SD titles enjoyable in their own way.
The best Royal Rumbles where people got knocked over the ropes with ease, crazy hardcore time limit matches with wrestlers jumping off helicopters in times square or running on a treadmill to grind up 5 finishers. A great season mode with storylines like the faction building one as well as other throwbacks to previous real life storylines, wrestlers had incredibly unique movesets full of special animations relevant to just a single superstar, even lower card wrestlers like Hurricane and Goldust had a variety of unique animations to authenticate the character.

HCTP was a very well rounded package, the games after it were the ones to fully start moving onto the sim style which quickly peaked with the pretty good 2006 entry and has been on a decline ever since (with 2008 being the king of the shitpile).
Compared to most of the series it's not at all surprising why HCTP is viewed as a highpoint and a great entry.

Morgadeth

I think the problem with the graphics in the new games (WWE '12 on wards) is that the new physics engine is using most of the consoles' power. That shouldn't be a problem next gen.

Either that or it's the art direction Yuke's are taking.

NJPW's owners (a trading card game company) have said they want to produce another New Japan video game at some point, so there's still a faint glimmer of hope.

A good WWE game, though? El oh el.

Striker

TO THE LEVY'S. We're at one of the homes in Raven's family. Kanyon is tasked with staying with Raven while mom goes to a board meeting. Kanyon tells Raven that everyone is worried about him and he really needs to snap out of it. WHAT A MARK! This depression stuff is all bullshit. Money DOES buy happiness and Raven acts the way he does just to piss his mom off. They pull away in a lambo.

icbR8bBS0Qaxs.gif

TO THE BANK. Kanyon and Raven are getting Raven's money. $10K in ones and $10K in big bills. Kanyon wants to know what it's for. Cut to eye roll. They walk out of the bank with Raven singing "Santa Claus is coming to town". Next up, they have to get Kanyon some new clothes.

iSGUaStxuCE2Y.gif
lol I love those.

Speaking of stables, let's go back to 1997: http://youtu.be/t-aDi4fT5Ac - "first of all, brothers..."

Things I learned from my first live WWE event:

The fact that it's all theater is really obvious when you're there (not a bad thing since it mostly has to do with crowd interaction.)

The camera adds 10 pounds. This means Natalya's actually gorgeous and Brie isn't the hot Bella twin (although she's still way prettier than any mortal deserves!)

The camera also makes everybody look bigger than they actually are and minimizes height differences.. Daniel Bryan is short. Orton is a giant next to him, to say nothing about Big Show.

I'll be damned if Kofi doesn't have a more than 6' vertical leap on his drop kicks. It's impressive on TV but in person you want that guy to get a basketball contract stat.

CM Punk is more over than Daniel Bryan in CO. Makes me wonder if it's true everywhere. Orton is still really popular, and his uncaring, narcissistic heel schtick is super funny live.

House shows are probably more fun than TV live events because the performers are just hanging out and having fun with it.

Moment of the night: D. Brine mocking Orton's second rope posing.

Bump of the night: Orton hitting Bryan with a suplex onto the entrance ramp.

Rating: 8.5 goat beards out of 10.

Classic Match of the Day:

legitshook.com

Stan Hansen (c) vs Genichiro Tenryu (c) - (AJPW 03/09/88)

Big match here on the road to form the Triple Crown Championship, as PWF Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen takes on NWA United National Champion Genichiro Tenryu. The match starts in hard-hitting fashion as Hansen surprises Tenryu before the bell and repeatedly brutalises his opponent, including a vicious slam into the ringpost and some nasty submissions, made all the more painful by the sheer size of Hansen. Tenryu frustrates the big man with his resilience, but despite scoring with his patented enziguri on a few occasions, Tenryu can't build up a head of steam and has to change up his gameplan, making use of the few chances given to him. Hansen, however, is determined to leave with both championship belts, almost too determined, as he relentlessly tries to batter Tenryu in submission. Perhaps Hansen sensed just how much Tenryu had improved over the few years prior, such is the degree to which he denies Tenryu any offence, but either way, Tenryu has to claw an scrap for every inch in what was the biggest match of his career, at that time.

Just got my copy of Invasion Attack in the post, my first official New Japan DVD ^_^

ibfr9CqMaML3cV.jpg

Pretty expensive, unfortunately. But Invasion Attack was such an awesome show, it's worth it to have a nice physical copy. Gonna rewatch this later tonight, see if Okada vs Tanahashi still ranks as my match of the year.

Classic Match of the Day:

legitshook.com

Stan Hansen (c) vs Genichiro Tenryu (c) - (AJPW 03/09/88)

Big match here on the road to form the Triple Crown Championship, as PWF Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen takes on NWA United National Champion Genichiro Tenryu. The match starts in hard-hitting fashion as Hansen surprises Tenryu before the bell and repeatedly brutalises his opponent, including a vicious slam into the ringpost and some nasty submissions, made all the more painful by the sheer size of Hansen. Tenryu frustrates the big man with his resilience, but despite scoring with his patented enziguri on a few occasions, Tenryu can't build up a head of steam and has to change up his gameplan, making use of the few chances given to him. Hansen, however, is determined to leave with both championship belts, almost too determined, as he relentlessly tries to batter Tenryu in submission. Perhaps Hansen sensed just how much Tenryu had improved over the few years prior, such is the degree to which he denies Tenryu any offence, but either way, Tenryu has to claw an scrap for every inch in what was the biggest match of his career, at that time.

Just got my copy of Invasion Attack in the post, my first official New Japan DVD ^_^

ibfr9CqMaML3cV.jpg

Pretty expensive, unfortunately. But Invasion Attack was such an awesome show, it's worth it to have a nice physical copy. Gonna rewatch this later tonight, see if Okada vs Tanahashi still ranks as my match of the year.

Why the fuck don't they have Blurays?

Top Bottom