• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Gonna Buy Some Trading Cards

iz41Jcsl.jpg

strobogo

Banned
That would be amazing, but blowing their load too soon.

Your memory is very selective and you're probably remembering one or two times that ever happened.

Oh, absolutely. There will definitely be some shenanigans.

No, it really happened frequently. Rarely was there an nWo segment for 2 years where stuff didn't get thrown in the ring at some point. Particularly at the end of shows or big beat downs. I'm at the end of 1998 and fans were still throwing shit at the nWo every week.

Alucard

Banned
My prediction:

Big Show turns on Bryan. Brings him up stealing the title from him. Gives Bryan something to do while Orton feuds with someone else. Bryan wins RR and then WM.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel that Bryan will win the Rumble as well. I just...well...I really hope crowds are still hot for him. I'm bored of the "Yes!" stuff already and am still cheering him on due to his Ring of Honor/Dragon Gate days and the incredible summer he has just had. Honestly hope this isn't a long cooler that HHH is putting him on just to kill his momentum.

Alucard

Banned
No, it really happened frequently. Rarely was there an nWo segment for 2 years where stuff didn't get thrown in the ring at some point. Particularly at the end of shows or big beat downs. I'm at the end of 1998 and fans were still throwing shit at the nWo every week.

Really? Damn. Apologies to the dude I quoted, but you still can't expect the hottest faction in wrestling history to be repeated forever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really don't see them taking Bryan out of the picture.

If this build goes through HIAC and Survivor Series then it makes sense to put the title back on DBry now. Have Vince fuck over the two of them and Orton.

Nelo Ice

Banned
My prediction:

Big Show turns on Bryan. Brings him up stealing the title from him. Gives Bryan something to do while Orton feuds with someone else. Bryan wins RR and then WM.

Works for me, keeps the story going without reusing Orton and Bryan forever. Of course I'll be happy if Bryan just wins the Rumble and then WM no matter the story. Of course a good buildup to those moments would be nice.

strobogo

Banned
Really? Damn. Apologies to the dude I quoted, but you still can't expect the hottest faction in wrestling history to be repeated forever.

Definitely things with Hogan will involve trash getting thrown in the ring, Bischoff was pretty frequently getting things thrown or dumped on him, almost all shows ending with the nWo standing tall end with trash in the ring, screwy finishes in the main events will get trash thrown in, and so on. It would happen in 1999 and in 2000 with Russo stuff as well. WWE fans never really did that for whatever reason. I can't really remember any times of WWE fans throwing things in the ring, even at the peak of the Attitude Era.

Alucard

Banned
Orton should keep the title till mania

That would be incredibly boring. I wanna see a Bryan/Punk unification match ushering in the true changing of the guard. But that's probably just a pipe dream.

Well, WWE sure killed the momentum they had coming out of Summerslam mighty quickly. :-/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Definitely things with Hogan will involve trash getting thrown in the ring, Bischoff was pretty frequently getting things thrown or dumped on him, almost all shows ending with the nWo standing tall end with trash in the ring, screwy finishes in the main events will get trash thrown in, and so on. It would happen in 1999 and in 2000 with Russo stuff as well. WWE fans never really did that for whatever reason. I can't really remember any times of WWE fans throwing things in the ring, even at the peak of the Attitude Era.

It's an NWA/JCP tradition dating back forever...

Brinbe

That Raw Crowd <3

Got some nice seats for about five minutes as a 'seat-filler' on camera side before my cousin and I had to move back up.
grcmbjD.jpg

22Pxat4.jpg

DGjxUwr.jpg

Actual seats weren't nearly that nice, but whatever.
A8Zzxbc.jpg

That great crowd (and watching Bryan wrestle in person) was worth the price of admission.

krae_man

The next show in Toronto makes no sense. Its at Ricoh on Monday Dec 30 at 7:30pm yet its a house show. How the fuck does that work?

Are they seriously doing a taping in the US before then coming to Canada on a Monday anyway?

The next show in Toronto makes no sense. Its at Ricoh on Monday Dec 30 at 7:30pm yet its a house show. How the fuck does that work?

Are they seriously doing a taping in the US before then coming to Canada on a Monday anyway?

Yeah, they usually tape the two holiday Raw's right?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I watched King of the Ring 1998 the other day and I'm convinced it is top to bottom the best Attitude era PPV. Never mind the Hell in the Cell, the entire card is loaded.

Yeah but why if they are touring anyway, and why do a show at the same time as your TV show?

You realize they used to run Smackdown house shows the same night as RAW, right? It's called a chance to get 8,000 or 5,000 tickets in the cash drawer that won't affect the ratings one bit.

Alucard

Banned
So I watched King of the Ring 1998 the other day and I'm convinced it is top to bottom the best Attitude era PPV. Never mind the Hell in the Cell, the entire card is loaded.

Hell in a Cell wasn't even a match. Two huge spots and Mankind trying to keep himself from dying the rest of the way. But yeah, for better or worse, those tumbles defined Foley's WWE career.

I've heard KotR 98 is one of the best PPVs ever. I'll have to check it out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No there is a halfway decent 10 minute match after he goes through the cage. A real feat considering he was concussed.

So I am reading that thread with the Microsoft guy desperately trying to save face with the X1 and now I want to see someone from WWE post on wrasslegaf after every RAW / smackdown talking about how awesome and compelling every show was.

Alucard

Banned
So I am reading that thread with the Microsoft guy desperately trying to save face with the X1 and now I want to see someone from WWE post on wrasslegaf after every RAW / smackdown talking about how awesome and compelling every show was.

Really hard to defend the past two weeks. The Rhodes family stuff has been the most compelling aspect.

Penguin

LIES!

The best Attitude Era PPVs to me...
SummerSlam 2000
No Way Out 2001
WrestleMania X-Seven

Really hard to defend the past two weeks. The Rhodes family stuff has been the most compelling aspect.

The Rhodes stuff has been good and the Bryan / orton / HHH stuff has been great and I dont care what anyone things.

Heel Triple H is great. He is actually being the Triple H everyone thinks he was and its working out great.

Punk versus Paul is entertaining still. Oh and Axel is there.

AJ is desperately trying to make the divas division interesting but the rest of the womens roster and King are not having any of it apparently.

Yeah the miz is still horrible but he is only ever on for 10 minutes.

But overall shits ok. RAW is pretty watchable now.

As punishment for Grado stealing "It's clobbering time" during his entrance against Colt, CM Punk should come out to "Like a Prayer" at Night of Champions.

Edit: that Grado entrance made me realize that WWE is sorely missing theme music that the audience can sing along with, other than Fandango's song. Imagine a Wrestlemania crowd singing that Grado remix of "Like a Prayer".

Kaladin

I fell asleep on Raw because I'm sick and took some PM medicine a few hours before. Anything worth going back to watch? I only really saw the opening segment.

We had that one guy, but he got banned after one post.

We also had Dave Meltzer, although he was more of a armchair analyst. We're better off without him.

Top Bottom