• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Dthomp

I think putting Jack Swagger with Heyman would be a fantastic idea. Swagger needs to be repackaged somehow, he has fallen to such a joke at this point and really shouldn't be.

strobogo

Banned
Paul Heyman should have a Drew Rosenhaus gimmick where he's just an annoying ass agent for a bunch of heel wrestlers. Basically make him a new Bobby Heenan.

You mean the new Paul E. Dangerously? He should form a new Dangerous Alliance. Punk as Rick Rude, Ziggler or Cody Rhodes as Stunning Steve, Swagger and maybe McGillicutty as Arn/Eaton or Arn/Larry Legend.

Kaladin

396526_10151096990901026_734727836_n.jpg

561593_10151096990931026_1423403906_n.jpg

381347_10151096990966026_16701420_n.jpg

316826_10151096991036026_1541990605_n.jpg

394492_10151096991071026_1273637059_n.jpg

558653_10151096991166026_1334912118_n.jpg

429882_10151096991201026_1720686669_n.jpg

540152_10151096991116026_439253194_n.jpg

Prediction time!

Austin Aries vs Armbreaker or random Aces & Eights Member
Samoa Joe vs Jeff Hardy
Bully Ray vs James Storm
Styles/Angle vs Daniels/Kazarian
Sonjay Dutt vs Zema Ion
Tara vs Miss Tessmacher
RVD vs Magnus

BFG Finals Prediction:
Samoa Joe vs James Storm

It's really hard to predict the BFG series even this late. Joe vs Aries would be an awesome PPV match, Bully Ray just got a contract which could include winning the BFG series, Storm has been built to win, but Storm vs Roode non-title would be the better BFG match for him. I just don't know which way they'll go, so I'll go with Joe vs Aries because that would be a guaranteed great match for the title.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I was trying to remember why I stopped watching luchador wrestling on the weekend, and it just hit me. The style is way too choreographed. Every match seems centered around spot after spot, and it seems so "fake". It also hurts that no one seems interested in selling, then matches just end abruptly. There seems to be no cohesion.

Of course, I admit that I'm too used to the American WWE style, where matches slowly build up and are treated like "real fights" where moves tend to happen for a reason (working on a body part or something), then you hit a finisher and the match ends.

Kaladin

I was trying to remember why I stopped watching luchador wrestling on the weekend, and it just hit me. The style is way too choreographed. Every match seems centered around spot after spot, and it seems so "fake". It also hurts that no one seems interested in selling, then matches just end abruptly. There seems to be no cohesion.

Of course, I admit that I'm too used to the American WWE style, where matches slowly build up and are treated like "real fights" where moves tend to happen for a reason (working on a body part or something), then you hit a finisher and the match ends.

You can always tell when they're going through the motions to just get to the next spot.....that can be boring. What I like is when it seems like they're just trying to do something bigger each time to finish their opponent, and it just doesn't work till they find the one thing that does.

tm24

That's definitely the style. Its just the way it is. Its why lucha careers go 20-30 years. The best lucha matches are the ones where the slowness isn't evident. Of course, lucha brawls are a different stories

strobogo

Banned
Holy shit, I just watched Impact and forgot the X-Division even existed. There was also no run down of the card. I guess matches were kind of announced (on the go home show), but there wasn't a "hey, this is what we have for the PPV this weekend!". All the matches were announced with in the last half hour or so, with the BFG series sorted out, Aries vs Festus, and the tag titles matches all announced in pretty short order.

God, the tag titles match was awful. I don't know what the hell happened there. Daniels and Chavo both have made careers out of being the most non-offensive wrestlers possible who have general chemistry with everyone. Except each other, I guess. And Hernandez is the only guy who gets worse as he gets more experienced and gets to work with more talented vets.

that would be awesome put heyman with jack swagger

Prediction time!

Austin Aries vs Armbreaker or random Aces & Eights Member
Samoa Joe vs Jeff Hardy
Bully Ray vs James Storm
Styles/Angle vs Daniels/Kazarian
Sonjay Dutt vs Zema Ion
Tara vs Miss Tessmacher
RVD vs Magnus

BFG Finals Prediction:
Samoa Joe vs James Storm

It's really hard to predict the BFG series even this late. Joe vs Aries would be an awesome PPV match, Bully Ray just got a contract which could include winning the BFG series, Storm has been built to win, but Storm vs Roode non-title would be the better BFG match for him. I just don't know which way they'll go, so I'll go with Joe vs Aries because that would be a guaranteed great match for the title.
Yeah they've done a really good job of making the tournament pretty unpredictable. I can honestly see any of those four winning the whole thing.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You can always tell when they're going through the motions to just get to the next spot.....that can be boring. What I like is when it seems like they're just trying to do something bigger each time to finish their opponent, and it just doesn't work till they find the one thing that does.
It hurts when there's simply no selling, because it makes it sound like the moves have no consequence. I don't want to feel like you're doing a move to try to impress me, I want to feel like you're doing a move because you're trying to win.

XenoRaven

It hurts when there's simply no selling, because it makes it sound like the moves have no consequence. I don't want to feel like you're doing a move to try to impress me, I want to feel like you're doing a move because you're trying to win.
That and it makes me confused as to why one move didn't hurt and a different one that looks the same put the opponent away.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That's definitely the style. Its just the way it is. Its why lucha careers go 20-30 years. The best lucha matches are the ones where the slowness isn't evident. Of course, lucha brawls are a different stories
It also hurts that the storylines make no sense (to me), and every damn match seems to become an elimination tag team match, lol.

That and it makes me confused as to why one move didn't hurt and a different one that looks the same put the opponent away.
Exactly. It's like no one cared enough to think this stuff out. Whatever, though. Different styles, I guess.

tm24

It also hurts that the storylines make no sense (to me), and every damn match seems to become an elimination tag team match, lol.
All tag matches are elimination in lucha!

Also, a lot of moves are considered death moves, so if you're in one, you're done. Think of certain lucha moves as the complete opposite of angle's moveset

Kaladin

That's one reason I like tag matches in this style a bit better than singles matches. With tag matches, you get to sell a bit while the other guys take some time to do something crazy.....until you get to a Dragon Gate six man where all six guys are pretty much going full on for 45 minutes.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That's one reason I like tag matches in this style a bit better than singles matches. With tag matches, you get to sell a bit while the other guys take some time to do something crazy.....until you get to a Dragon Gate six man where all six guys are pretty much going full on for 45 minutes.
On some level, it's why I couldn't get into Dragon Gate. When I watched it, I felt like it was just spot after spot. Impressive spots, but it seemed like they weren't trying to have a wrestling match, but rather an impressive display of athleticism.

The best wrestling matches are the ones that feel like they're real. The ones with actual strategy, like old boxing matches.

tm24

Yes, but why do all singles matches end up being tag matches? Is Teddy Long the ruler of CMLL/AAA?
I don't think I've ever seen this happen. They were probably tags to start with, just the rudos jumping the technicos before everyone is out, which is pretty common

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lucha libre is almost always about athleticism and choreography. If I want storytelling, I watch old school wrestling or a Great Muta match

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't think I've ever seen this happen. They were probably tags to start with, just the rudos jumping the technicos before everyone is out, which is pretty common
That's got to be it, then. My Spanish is horrible, so all I see is some guys in the ring get jumped, some authority comes out, two refs get in the ring (one heel, one face), then a massive brawl, then after a while the bell rings.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also something that lucha has that is lacking in American wrestling is tradition and honor for the technicos. There's real motivation there - basically the polar opposite of how John Cena works. And if you think someone looks like a badass heel? They're probably a technicos.

Kaladin

I could never get the two ref thing.....that's one thing that always especially struck me as odd when watching lucha without knowing anything about it. Now even that I know something about lucha, it's still a bit odd. Two refs, a technicos and a rudos in the same match just doesn't compute as an American wrestling fan.

Even Chikara doesn't copy that aspect of Lucha.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE 13 NEwz,

-Smackdown 06 arena is in(big fist arena)
-interview specifically cites Ryback but doesn't confirm him
-Create-A-Arena has different sizes, so you can recreate something like Hammerstein
-'quick','normal', or 'epic' modes for matches. The idea here seems to be setting the scales so you can have a squash match, a 'tv mathc' or a 'big ppv match' time length so your guys isn't winded after 5 minutes, and you're more likely to kick out of finishers.
-WWE 13 has over 80 wrestlers on the disc, over 100 with planned dlc, so at least 20ish dlc characters

dream

Sometimes I wish Samoa Joe had died in 2004 so that he'd be remembered as one of the greatest of all time. Seeing what he has become is sad.

Dthomp

Sometimes I wish Samoa Joe had died in 2004 so that he'd be remembered as one of the greatest of all time. Seeing what he has become is sad.

Wow that's a bit harsh. If Joe seemed like he gave a shit and got into slightly better shape he would have gotten a push. TNA has literally pushed EVERYBODY else so he's gotta look in the mirror and be more entertaining out there like Bully Ray did.

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL the TNA finish. If AKI made a TNA game, everyone's finisher would be a rollup. I swear every PPV it's used like 5 times on a show.

Kaladin

Hardy has definitely vastly improved his workrate in 2012, I just don't know if I would put him over Joe twice in a row like this.

Here's hoping Bully Ray wins it all.

DKehoe

Wow that's a bit harsh. If Joe seemed like he gave a shit and got into slightly better shape he would have gotten a push. TNA has literally pushed EVERYBODY else so he's gotta look in the mirror and be more entertaining out there like Bully Ray did.

Is it a case of him being lazy or do his knee injuries make it hard for him to lose weight now?

strobogo

Banned
I want Bully Ray to be the Champion of Champions, but Jeff against A Double is about the only match up I'd be interested in seeing Jeff in. I think it could be a really fun match, especially since Jeff has really upped his game again. He's not quite at 2009 levels, but he's the closest he's been since then.

Top Bottom