• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

You're right. Punk would have to be fighting a battle of wits of some sort - outsmarting Lesnar at every turn and working with his brain to feel credible. Even with what you said it's a hell of an uphill battle, but I think with a lot of time, they could do it. You've changed my mind!

Now, do I think the WWE could do it right? Hellll naw... but it's fun to speculate.

This is the biggest issue. In current WWE the geniuses are the guys who get themselves intentionally counted out for no reason. Actual smart characters should be guys who can adapt, right now Mr. Small Package is the only person doing that.

It's what bugs me about Punk, to a certain extent. He doesn't seem to care about working out. I'm certainly not saying you need to be jacked or anything, and certainly don't use steroids, but at least try just a bit. Otherwise, it just looks silly when he's beating up on a guy like Cena, or Show, or even Lesnar. Or at least book him in a way that's credible. It may not have mattered when I was a kid, and I really thought Kane & Taker had powers or whatever, or somehow Rock spitting on his hand made it hurt more, but it sort of matters now. Especially with MMA looking so credible.

Punk could work out 12 hours a day and still be tiny compared to Cena. The ability to develop muscle tone and size (past a certain point) has more to do with genetics than it does effort. He talks about how much he hates the way he looks, but that he has to keep a lot of weight on just to look reasonably sized among the big guys.

Mind you, I think you have a point of needing a credible look or very credible booking, but I don't think you can knock the guy for his size.

Kaladin

Anyone remember the Mysterio vs Undertaker match at the Rumble a couple of years ago where Undertaker basically squashed Mysterio?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punk could work out 12 hours a day and still be tiny compared to Cena. The ability to develop muscle tone and size (past a certain point) has more to do with genetics than it does effort. He talks about how much he hates the way he looks, but that he has to keep a lot of weight on just to look reasonably sized among the big guys.

Mind you, I think you have a point of needing a credible look or very credible booking, but I don't think you can knock the guy for his size.

It's a shame he doesn't have the genetics for it. He ain't no Freakzilla.

Some guys simply can NOT look like a brick shithouse no matter what they do. Punk would be a better manager than a main eventer. Yeah, I said it. I just think he could be a phenomenal manager.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

In that case, it's not his fault. But yeah, the point still stands.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else hyped for the opening segment of RAW?

dYvp6.gif

C.Dark.DN

Banned
That was cool up until the bronco buster. Then it got stupid. And most of the moves don't really look offensively credible, imo.

The second video was a Nash beatdown.

BTW, Tenay sucked then too.

Both videos display rey's ability to be counter while being picked up and high flying moves while the giant is down. Pretty offensively credible. As far as bronco busters and 619 finishers, yeah that's dumb.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Both videos display rey's ability to be counter while being picked up and high flying moves while the giant is down. As far as bronco busters and 619 finishers, yeah that's dumb.
They overuse the countering stuff, especially in the WWE. "Rey used Show/Kane's own momentum against him."

Yeah, OK, lol.

Kyoufu

It's strange to think that Daniel Bryan was once the most un-over person in WWE ever.

He didn't really have a gimmick at that time. He was just a CAW so there was no way he was going to get over then.

Then he busts out the YES! and the people go wild. Someone relay this message to Vince, WWE Creative and the boys in the locker room.

Penguin

How come you don't post in the Toonami thread Penguin?

I miss our animation discussions...

I actually don't post much these days.. I don't know...

As for Toonami.. anime and I.. have never been friends.

Anyone else hyped for the opening segment of RAW?

The problem nowadays is they have to stretch the show to 3 hours.. so even if we get an opening promo.. still need a mid-Raw angle to advance the angle to the over-run!

VerTiGo

Banned
Punk going heel is the only thing that keeps RAW watchable lately. He's great but the rest of the show is a disappointment.

Normally, I would turn to TNA to provide everything else I look for in a wrestling program but after last night, I'm pretty upset with Hardy winning the BFG series. He was in bad shape last night and his performaces were carried by Joe and later on by Bully Ray.

Anything less than a squash match against Aries is unacceptable. Hardy is a washed up has been that never was. He sucks all around, he can't work well and has no notable talents that someone else within the organization cannot do better. Stop calling him charismatic, he's not -- that's just the drugs.

Aiii

So not worth it
He didn't really have a gimmick at that time. He was just a CAW so there was no way he was going to get over then.

Then he busts out the YES! and the people go wild. Someone relay this message to Vince, WWE Creative and the boys in the locker room.

Have you not noticed the WWE title feud he had for 3 months and his continued exposure on the 2nd hour timeslot?

I maintain, D-Bry has already made it and will for the rest of his carreer be at the WWE/WHC title level.

He's this generations Jericho.

Kyoufu

It's amazing, but Kane owes the greatest run of his career to Rey for legitimately injuring Taker.

As much as I LOVED that run, I didn't enjoy the actual matches with Taker. Poor brawls :(

But man, Kane with the title was awesome until fucking SUPER EDGE came and stole the spotlight. Jerk.

Have you not noticed the WWE title feud he had for 3 months and his continued exposure on the 2nd hour timeslot?

I maintain, D-Bry has already made it and will for the rest of his carreer be at the WWE/WHC title level.

He's this generations Jericho.

Hmm? What about it? I was talking about last year when he wasn't given any opportunities.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
They overuse the countering stuff, especially in the WWE. "Rey used Show/Kane's own momentum against him."

Yeah, OK, lol.
About the only thing bigger guys can do while being picked up is punch and break free. Small acrobatic guys like Rey spinning around and such looks cool.

Cagey

Banned

Every time I see David Otunga, I begin to hate myself (how does homeboy find the time during three years of law school to become a Mr. Olympia also-ran @#%$7935aqfnoa) before I tell myself "it's gotta be genetics along with dat HGH". Some guys can NOT become brick shithouses... other guys can not help but BECOME one.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
As part of my court ordered "real wrestling discussion" community service, I am bringing to you some matches you may have never seen before.

Back in the day, Taker used to rarely travel to Japan and wrestle for a Japanese promotion.

Here is a great match that Taker had against Hakushi in October of 1997 in Japan. Great stuff, that I've never seen mentioned before on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9jO2TM0_d4

SoulPlaya

more money than God
As much as I LOVED that run, I didn't enjoy the actual matches with Taker. Poor brawls :(

But man, Kane with the title was awesome until fucking SUPER EDGE came and stole the spotlight. Jerk.
The first match is decently good, but the others got bad once Taker's arm became useless.

I didn't care, though, as Kane was delivering great promos, looking dominant, and he beat Taker three straight times in a few months. No one has ever looked that dominant against Taker before.

bangai-o

Banned
You're right. Punk would have to be fighting a battle of wits of some sort - outsmarting Lesnar at every turn and working with his brain to feel credible. Even with what you said it's a hell of an uphill battle, but I think with a lot of time, they could do it. You've changed my mind!

Now, do I think the WWE could do it right? Hellll naw... but it's fun to speculate.
you guys dont get it. the seeds have already been planted. Brock is going to walk into the locker room with a surprise cake for Heyman. and there is CM Punk being new best friends with him instead.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
you guys dont get it. the seeds have already been planted. Brock is going to walk into the locker room with a surprise cake for Heyman. and there is CM Punk being new best friends with him instead.

Aw shit. It's comin....you're right!

It still eats me up a bit inside, in retrospect it's not so bad since it was Edge's final run but he really was the Cena of Smackdown at times, better in ring and better character than the loathed Cena but he had succumbed to staleness himself, having Kane's effective monster run be turned into freaking Looney Tunes with the face/heel roles oddly reversed yet kidnapper Edge was the guy who we were supposed to cheer for (hello Sheamus, how ya doing?) still irks me, WWE almost did something similar to Mark Henry last year regarding the destruction of champion super heel into token coward heel.

The Taker brawls were pretty weak, NoC was okay though, i've been through this a few times here, Taker worked hurt, they attempted attitude era style in the PG era with disappointing results.
Kane's promos were top notch though.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
They need to fire AJ from being GM and place the one person that can settle all disputes within a 3 hour time frame.

Introducing the NEW Raw General Manager:

REEEEEBAAAAAAAH

TNrM9.jpg

Hey y'all

SoulPlaya

more money than God
As part of my court ordered "real wrestling discussion" community service, I am bringing to you some matches you may have never seen before.

Back in the day, Taker used to rarely travel to Japan and wrestle for a Japanese promotion.

Here is a great match that Taker had against Hakushi in October of 1997 in Japan. Great stuff, that I've never seen mentioned before on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9jO2TM0_d4
I post this, and you fucks ignored it so you could talk about Heyman having sex with Punk? What?!?!

Where's Sandman when you need him?

I'm setting myself up here. I'm actually going to stay up and watch Raw because of last week. That's exactly what they want. I know I'm going to end up watching John Cena pay tribute to HHH for 3 hours. I know this. Yet... I'm going to stay up.

2013 wwe dvd releases
WWE TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2012 01/15/13
Best of Raw & SmackDown 2012 01/29/13
The Best of Nitro Volume 2 02/12/13
Royal Rumble 2013 02/26/13
Bret Hart Unreleased Matches 03/05/13
Elimination Chamber 2013 03/19/13
Mick Foley Biography 04/16/13
The Best of In Your House 04/30/13
WrestleMania 29 05/14/13
Top 25 Rivalries 05/28/13
Extreme Rules 2013 06/18/13