• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Alucard

Banned
Punk getting a clean win over Cena needs to happen. Punk's developing a pretty nice heel persona right now, and more trolling of Cena will just make Cena that much more sympathetic in the end.

But yeah, good match tonight with a bit of an abrupt finish. Another 5-7 minutes would have made it great!

Kyoufu

Punk was never going to lose that match. They won't kill his "Best in the World" brand. They won't kill him when the match was dubbed "define Punks' very existence" or something along that line.

I was genuinely shocked to see Cena get the pin.

Rock will get him at RR2013 though.

KissVibes

Banned
The next match will be a hell in a cell match right, that should be where is feud ends. Have a 5 on 5 match at survivor series, and a new opponent at TLC.

Who would be Cena's new opponent at TLC? Orton?

Punk was never going to lose that match. They won't kill his "Best in the World" brand. They won't kill him when the match was dubbed "define Punks' very existence" or something along that line.

So Punks existence is defined with a dusty finish? That's AWFUL.

Toki767

Next month with Hell in a Cell probably should end with Lesnar coming back to cost Cena, then I guess a HHH/Cena vs Lesnar/Punk match at Survivor Series.

Wrestlemania against the Rock was supposed to define Cena's existence and he lost lol

Izick

Why do people bitch over a finish that isn't clean as fuck? Have you not watched any wrestling in the past 20 years? Belt finishes especially; controversy=cash.

BlazinAm

Next month with Hell in a Cell probably should end with Lesnar coming back to cost Cena, then I guess a HHH/Cena vs Lesnar/Punk match at Survivor Series.

Wrestlemania against the Rock was supposed to define Cena's existence and he lost lol

Sounds like a good idea.

Would have been perfect to end the match after the rock bottom with punk sticking his tongue out like that.

He can do that to against whomever he faces on RAW tomorrow.

Mengetsu

I knew they wouldn't give Cena a clean win. Nobody gives a fuck about Cena anymore. You see less and less of that vomit green in the arenas nowadays, even in his hometown. Everybody loves Punk. Punk is fucking over as hell with the crowd.

As long as the marks keep buying his green he will be #1. I'm glad at this outcome. Means more time for punk holding the belt making it mean something and breaking records at that. My dream would for this to go on will WM but, we know vince won't let that happen. When Punk loses I would like it to at least not feel so bad.

It looked like Terry Funk doing a moonsault it was pretty terrible

My memory might be playing tricks on me but I think Punk used to do that shitty crooked moonsault in the indies. I liked it in the match though, it's as though he was so desperate he was willing to try and do things he had no idea how to do to put Cena away.

Brinbe

Having just watched the ppv with a theater full of complete cena marks, that ending was nothing short of spectacular. The salt was off the goddamn charts. Masterclass trolling

Super late, but:
Just saw this, thanks.

yNIFY.gif

Also, lol @ that finish. Swerves for everyone! A SLIPPIN' AND A SLIDIN'

Izick

As long as the marks keep buying his green he will be #1. I'm glad at this outcome. Means more time for punk holding the belt making it mean something and breaking records at that. My dream would for this to go on will WM but, we know vince won't let that happen. When Punk loses I would like it to at least not feel so bad.

It's less and less green though. To the point where it's noticeable.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can we talk about the commentary for second? Because it was the best I've heard since I started watching wrestling again 2 years ago. JBL was perfection. Absolute and utter perfection. Cole was also not being an irritating prick either. Ridiculous quality from the commentary table tonight. Bravo...

Night of Champs was also a damned solid PPV too. Enjoyed pretty much all of it. Only match that pissed me off was the Kaitlyn bait n switch and Sheamus being fucking superman.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
My memory might be playing tricks on me but I think Punk used to do that shitty crooked moonsault in the indies. I liked it in the match though, it's as though he was so desperate he was willing to try and do things he had no idea how to do to put Cena away.

pepsi plunge

Triple H retired so it's up for grabs!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

I knew Punk was going to win because his DVD isn't out yet

Can we talk about the commentary for second? Because it was the best I've heard since I started watching wrestling again 2 years ago. JBL was perfection. Absolute and utter perfection. Cole was also not being an irritating prick either. Ridiculous quality from the commentary table tonight. Bravo...

Night of Champs was also a damned solid PPV too. Enjoyed pretty much all of it. Only match that pissed me off was the Kaitlyn bait n switch and Sheamus being fucking superman.

I feel the same JBL really brought a lot of excitement to the show

CM PUNK tomorrow: "in my hometown, I won. in yours, you could barely manage a draw".

Good PPV overall. Like a lot of people I thought that Cena won with that sloppy German, and was pissed I stayed up till 4am to see that.

thank god for dusty, and of course the WRESTLING GOD - JBL was doing what cole stopped doing in heel mode, and was never that great at in face mode - telling a story for each feud.

Alucard

Banned
Very good commentary tonight. JBL was great. He built up talent, made matches feel significant, made you care about the outcomes, and provided comedy when needed. Jerry Lawler is a legend, but if JBL was offered the job and was willing to take it, I'd choose him over King on commentary.

Jitters

Great show. Not a bad match on the card. Orton/Ziggler and Punk/Cena were amazing. Those 4 are top notch performers. They have done a phenomenal job at getting the Brogue Kick over, the crowd went nuts when he finally hit it. Sheamus has actually just built up a really good moveset. Lots of moves that get great reactions. Bryan, Kane ,and Aj were entertaining as hell in that backstage skit. Even Ryder and Cesaro put on a interesting little match. I hope that exposure will get Cesaro over more with the crowd, they have got to stay on it though.

Toki767

Wonder what happened after the PPV went off the air to send the crowd home happy. Though I'm guessing for the majority of the crowd, they'd be happier seeing Punk at the end than Cena.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I forgot just how much of a positive effect good commentary can have on a WWE event. JBL was so on point during commentary that I managed to take nearly everything about the night in good spirits. Instead of shaking my head, I was laughing my ass off. Netting a solid commentary team for either RAW or Smackdown would - well it wouldn't do much, actually, because RAW's still bloated and Smackdown is still an afterthought, but I'd appreciate it anyway.

somedevil

If this do this right they have a rematch in Hell in the Cell, then at Survivor Series its team Punk versus Team Cena and then the feud ends at the December Pay per view.

Then Punk faces the Rock at the Royal Rumble.

yitdadee08

Neo Member
How can WWE continue this Cena v Punk feud, but with good reason? Cena got his rematch, and even though he "won" the draw result, at the end of the day he didn't get the job done. If the best WWE can do is just give Cena a rematch, then that's sorry. At least make him wrestle for #1 contendership again.

TheNatural

My Member!

Yeah WWE doesn't ever follow through on what they bill something as a big deal, well, ever anymore. When Punk first won the title in Chicago, supposedly it was going to 'ruin' the company by letting him leave with the belt. Instead of pandemonium or anything, Vince just does a tourney the next night where Cena gets another belt and they concentrate on Triple H shit.

Cena vs. Rock was supposed to be the match Cena *HAD* to win. Well he didn't, he lost clean, and there were no repercussions from it - he goes right into beating a debuting Lesnar.

They never give the payoff to what they're billing it as. There are never any repercussions from a big PPV match, they just go straight back into "derp derp didn't really matter, here's a throwaway RAW with a tag match playa."

Brinbe

As for the ppv, I felt it was p. average. D-brine/kane was the obvious highlight while everything else wasn't anything great (nor was it bad though). I'll agree on JBL though, he was excellent and a breath of fresh air. Everything was centered on the match and he spoke with knowledge, confidence and logic.

Top Bottom