• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

At least LeRae made a booking. I'm surprised she hasn't deleted her Twitter yet, given the rumors that the E might be interested.

Team Tremendous had been picking up hype in the U.S. indies this year. They were okay in the Hoodslam match I saw them in in April.

Apparently she's been making a habit of no showing sometimes this summer? Idunno.

Tremendous were awesome. It's funny seeing people get booked in CZW, do ok, and then go elsewhere and just light it up

Xavier trying to convince Rusev to watch Detective Conan cracked me up btw

He'd probably love it, Detective Conan is amazing, and Rusev is clearly a weeb

He's right. Seth's the only heel in recent memory who is atop of the card and is doing all these top rope move, outside dives, and flippy indie moves. It's terrible. It garners no heat whatsoever.

Reminds me, that fucking awful superplex into Falcon Arrow spot. STOP IT!

Seth could sell it as doing moves that ARENT risky for Seth Rollins, only for scrubs like Johhhn Cena or the Vigilante Sting. Seth is that good. He can pull that flippy shit 24/7 with no risk, no wear on his body whatsoever.

Because Crossfit.

Crossfit can sponsor the next PPV even!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One thing I do like and agree with Punk about is that it seems like their entire roster except the older guys like Rey and Berto just nods their head at Hunter and doesn't say anything.

the problem is that Punk 'asked questions' but then usually did it anyways

Seth could sell it as doing moves that ARENT risky for Seth Rollins, only for scrubs like Johhhn Cena or the Vigilante Sting. Seth is that good. He can pull that flippy shit 24/7 with no risk, no wear on his body whatsoever.

Because Crossfit.

Crossfit can sponsor the next PPV even!

I can't get behind a guy who, as the top heel, is more worried about making the fans pop for his spots than making them hate him.

DMczaf

Boxing booking squash matches as PPV matches and making millions off it

dYsKxuF.png

I can't get behind a guy who, as the top heel, is more worried about making the fans pop for his spots than making them hate him.

I do honestly wonder what Seth wants to do, rather than what creative want him to be. Especially since they seem to neuter his more outrageous stuff (like the curb stomp).

I'd prefer to see him as a cocky face but that doesn't fit with the Authority timeline so who knows where he will end up. H feud would be easy avenue to turn him but I'm really not interested in seeing H wrestling again.

Hard to be a really effective disgraceful heel in the social era I guess? I loved the whole "Imma kill Christian anyway" bit when that happened.

I do honestly wonder what Seth wants to do, rather than what creative want him to be. Especially since they seem to neuter his more outrageous stuff (like the curb stomp).

I'd prefer to see him as a cocky face but that doesn't fit with the Authority timeline so who knows where he will end up. H feud would be easy avenue to turn him but I'm really not interested in seeing H wrestling again.

Hard to be a really effective disgraceful heel in the social era I guess? I loved the whole "Imma kill Christian anyway" bit when that happened.

Seth did the same type of "high spot high spot pop for me" shit in ROH when he was a heel. I don't think creative has much, if any, involvement in match layout. It's not like Seth is a HBK type heel, where his athleticism is part of his dick head character. He's Edge 2.0. He shouldn't have a spot where he does 2 dives, then plays to the crowd before doing a tope. He shouldn't be doing phoenix splashes in every big match. Unless they change his character, Seth's moveset doesn't make any sense with his character, and that's on the writers and him, because the writers don't control what he does in the ring.

AKA: Fuck Rollins.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I still don't know what Seth's character is because it just feels like he's the accidental champion. But he's a heel. And he's had a lengthy reign despite being a fluke champion.

So he's like a Mick Foley... but a heel so not to the character's strengths. He's not really a cocky heel because every week is him saying how he did it even though no one believed in him and him telling Hunter and Stephanie backstage that he can't do it.

I still don't know what Seth's character is because it just feels like he's the accidental champion. But he's a heel. And he's had a lengthy reign despite being a fluke champion.

So he's like a Mick Foley... but a heel so not to the character's strengths. He's not really a cocky heel because every week is him saying how he did it even though no one believed in him and him telling Hunter and Stephanie backstage that he can't do it.

He's a shitty mix of Edge post MITB, Flair in the 80s, HBK in the 90s, every indie wrestler ever, plus a giant pussy. I don't know how that ends up being so shitty and boring, but here we are, 6 months later with the least interesting champion in years. His character is shitty, his ring work is shitty for his shitty character. It's just a bunch of shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Champions not coming up with their own thing is pretty normal now. I watched enough ROH recently to be subjected to a Jay Lethal promo. Remember how he did that funny thing where he dressed up like Flair and acted like Flair?

Well, apparently since the last time we saw Jay, his new thing is just to completely rip off Ric Flair's promos. Not even like 'oh it's the same kind of character,' it's the exact same cadence, it's the exact same hand gestures, it's the exact same formatting. The only thing that is supposed to make you think he's original and not just ripping off Flair wholesale is that he doesn't wear a giant blonde wig anymore.

Champions not coming up with their own thing is pretty normal now. I watched enough ROH recently to be subjected to a Jay Lethal promo. Remember how he did that funny thing where he dressed up like Flair and acted like Flair?

Well, apparently since the last time we saw Jay, his new thing is just to completely rip off Ric Flair's promos. Not even like 'oh it's the same kind of character,' it's the exact same cadence, it's the exact same hand gestures, it's the exact same formatting. The only thing that is supposed to make you think he's original and not just ripping off Flair wholesale is that he doesn't wear a giant blonde wig anymore.

ROH is also a company that has their main stable straight up use the Four Horsemen gesture, while their biggest import stable is a full on NWO rip off. ROH ain't shit, as evidenced by NJPW sending Liger to a WWE show the same night in the same area as a ROH show. And then their booker and champion hanging out at the WWE show the next night instead of the ROH show.

Seth did the same type of "high spot high spot pop for me" shit in ROH when he was a heel. I don't think creative has much, if any, involvement in match layout. It's not like Seth is a HBK type heel, where his athleticism is part of his dick head character. He's Edge 2.0. He shouldn't have a spot where he does 2 dives, then plays to the crowd before doing a tope. He shouldn't be doing phoenix splashes in every big match. Unless they change his character, Seth's moveset doesn't make any sense with his character, and that's on the writers and him, because the writers don't control what he does in the ring.

Yeah it would work to his strengths if they turned him face sooner rather than later. He has a ton of talent in the ring, I'd love to see his character change to something where he can keep doing phoenix splashes and stuff off the turnbuckle.

I think what's funny is CZW has produced more interesting new indie guys than ROH at this point.

Has ROH really produced any top stars since the Joe/Bryan/Punk era? Rollins is the only guy I can think of. Every other dude (Zayn/Owens/Cesaro/Ambrose/Neville/Crews/Itami/Balor) WWE has hired since Punk/Bryan got hot somewhere else and maybe ended up in ROH, but are associated with other companies. ROH's main business for years is picking up dudes who are hot as shit in other places (usually PWG) and making them bland as fuck. Usually a year or two after they got hot, too.

So not only does ROH not create new talent, they can't even swipe the new hot talents in a timely manner. They're behind on everything. And now, in 2015, their top stars are guys that were around in 2002 who weren't good enough to get called up to the big time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The last time I looked at a ROH World Champion and said, 'Oh that sounds interesting, I'll see what's on ROH' was McGuinness. And that was in 2007. And I ended up hating his reign anyways. And he worked better with the WWE style guys in TNA anyways.

I literally don't understand how people like Nick Gage. It's ironic, right? He's shit in the ring, he cuts shit promos about how he's the best and he'll fight you all, he's a shithead in life and a 3edgy5me shithead on Twitter. He's the cunt total package.

klonere

Banned
So after RollinsCena and the OwensCena series can we stick a fork in psychology in the WWE? I rewatched the Money in the Bank OwensCena and its just move kick out move kick out forever.

klonere

Banned
I still maintain that Rollins was not doing a lot of flashy stuff as champ in his matches up until Summerslam match. Before SS most of his matches were quite mediocre, apart from MiTB with Dean and the 4 way with ReignsAmbroseOrton (definitely his best heel work) with very little of consequence happening leading to an interference spot.

I guess at Summerslam since he was vs Cena they got the greenlight to just start doing moves and kick outs as that had been Cenas MO since the US Open Challenge started. The problem with Rollins with the belt as you guys have said is that he's been booked as a transitional champ, clearly being presented as less than not only all his opponents but Papa Hunter and Mama Steph and yet he's had the belt for most of 2015. And he has to do stupidly long promos for no raison and is incredibly overexposed.

ROH hasn't been interested in their usual shtick of signing guys who started making waves in IWA-MS/CZW/PWG for a good few years now. They rely on their try-out camps instead, so that's why the current crop of younger talent is guys like Adam Page, Will Ferrara & Donovan Dijak, rather than anyone with any actual hype about them. Dalton Castle's fucking amazing, though. Best thing about ROH by a mile. Other than #BIGMIKE, of course, but I'm sure it won't take long for some tepid ROH booking to ruin him as well.

Gonzalez

Banned
There is a 2-on-1 beat down on Virgil, by the Harlem Heat(8/4/97 Nitro) that would make one hell of a gif to use for responding to Virgil's latest tweets.

klonere

Banned
ROH hasn't been interested in their usual shtick of signing guys who started making waves in IWA-MS/CZW/PWG for a good few years now. They rely on their try-out camps instead, so that's why the current crop of younger talent is guys like Adam Page, Will Ferrara & Donovan Dijak, rather than anyone with any actual hype about them. Dalton Castle's fucking amazing, though. Best thing about ROH by a mile. Other than #BIGMIKE, of course, but I'm sure it won't take long for some tepid ROH booking to ruin him as well.

Does anyone know how long Elgin has left in ROH before he could go over to NJPW and work full time there?

Does anyone know how long Elgin has left in ROH before he could go over to NJPW and work full time there?

ROH announced he'd signed a "long-term extension to his existing contract" just before the G1, but I'd guess that if New Japan wanted him to work on every tour ROH could work out some sort of lengthier talent exchange deal to bring a NJ guy to ROH and still have Elgin work a few of the bigger ROH shows each year.

KingBroly

Banned
I'll do some predictable WWE booking for the Royal Rumble.

The last 2 fighters will be Brock and Reigns. As Brock goes to German Suplex Reigns over the top rope and into oncoming traffic in Suplex City, the lights go out, Undertaker's music hits, he arrives and eliminates Brock, sending Reigns back to the Main Event of Wrestlemania.

I take full credit for this if it happens. If it doesn't happen, relish in the fact that I've provided a setup to 2 big Wrestlemania matches in 1 angle, as well as providing a better ending than this year's Rumble, last year's Rumble, and probably next year's Rumble as well.

Heroman

Banned
Wonder what are WM plans right now, The only matches that could happen and we about is brock vs taker and HHH vs seth . and either one of those could happen way earlier than WM.

klonere

Banned
Was there any buzz for this PPV coming into last night, though? I sure as hell forgot it was happening until this past week.

I think Mayweather poisoned the well with the last fight, there was never any chance of big mainstream buzz about a fight which Mayweather promoted as his last and was against a competitor that had near to zero credibility.

Gonzalez

Banned
I think Mayweather poisoned the well with the last fight, there was never any chance of big mainstream buzz about a fight which Mayweather promoted as his last and was against a competitor that had near to zero credibility.
Also probably not the smartest move to book a fight in the middle of a NFL opening week, and a College Football night.

This is totally fair, but to be fair to Rollins, I don't think they've known for a while WHAT kind of heel they want him to be. The writing for him is so terrible. He's just kind of whatever they need him to be that night. The moment where it really jumped the shark was when they had him almost paralyze Edge, I think. It was heelish, sure, but him being some kind of sadist makes zero sense for his character, and will undermine any attempt at a future face run.

Barrage

The thing ive learned in wrestling is that nothing undermines a face turn. HHH kidnapped and married a drugged woman,and turned face no problem. Jake the Snake was the epitome of evil and turned face when the time came.

klonere

Banned
This is totally fair, but to be fair to Rollins, I don't think they've known for a while WHAT kind of heel they want him to be. The writing for him is so terrible. He's just kind of whatever they need him to be that night. The moment where it really jumped the shark was when they had him almost paralyze Edge, I think. It was heelish, sure, but him being some kind of sadist makes zero sense for his character, and will undermine any attempt at a future face run.

That moment with Edge could have been a great moment to switch him into total ruthless heel mode from the softly softly chickenshit heel stuff he'd been doing. Sure you'd probably have to write him off TV for like, 3 months or more to get him back into a face redemption position (if you wanted it to be good...) but man would it be better than it is now.

Fire all the writers.

Top Bottom