• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Or they become immortal

Ultimate-Warrior-statue.jpg

rollins-statue1-620x350.jpg

Fox318

The GWF champion is more of a joke than a guy in a bunny suit on Raw. Always and forever. You conveniently leave out the years before the bunny suit when he was in featured angles on Raw and Smackdown and part of the biggest angle of 2010. What do you think it makes GWF look like to immediately have the bunny from Raw come in and be their best wrestler? That doesn't make GWF or Justin Gabriel look good.

As a wrestler in 2015, you CAN'T just go out and define your value if you work for WWE. They are the only game in town. You can't just walk out on them, go do a bunch of indie shows, and increase your value.
What you're suggesting would have worked 20-30 years ago. It doesn't at all now. Pretending like being the champion of GWF is somehow more prestigious, value affirming, or lucrative as being a random hand in WWE is ridiculous.

Leaving the biggest (only) company in your profession to join a dead on arrival upstart with zero promotion, market value, market share, 70 other business buzzwords will do nothing to improve your value in your profession. All it does is make you look like an idiot, make you much less money, and likely prevent you from getting your job back at the only place in town that pays any money. All so you can hold a fake championship? Lol.

Guys can do it. the Bucks, Colt Cabana, AJ Styles. Itsfucking tough but if you are trying to be a performer it might be the thing to do. I mean how many times should Cody Rhodes get a chance when you have a roster coming up with Zayns, Owens, Balor, and countless more new people.

Maybe going to a different location gives you a new and unique skill like say Harper. Harper because of his work in Mexico could probably get a good match from anyone on the roster. Can Swagger say that? Can Bo Dallas say that?

Fox, what are you talking about? Multiple wrestlers have said that anyone who's not one of the very top guys in the big regional promotions would go to WWE in an instant, and that they're lying if they say otherwise. Devitt left sure stardom and Armani sponsorship in NJPW for a chance at big WWE money. Zack Ryder barely does shit and prob makes like $80k per year, plus all the merch he moved.

It's a big, big mistake to assume wrestlers have the same taste in and opinions about wrestling as fans. They don't. People who are marks for themselves eventually become jokes.

I think its different for guys going to WWE vs guys in WWE that are there for a long time and just blend in. I remember hearing a Daniel Bryan say that guys would show up to main event and superstars and pray to just get their check and not work.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Swagger's nearly seven feet tall and built like a god, he can get work literally anywhere. I'll give you Bo Dallas.

It's GFW. Jeff "Broke 12 million guitars, couldn't draw a crowd" Jarrett didn't come up with an MSPaint logo in 5 seconds for alts to misspell it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Luke Harper probably should have replaced/joined Kane as the authority heavy around Survivor Series last year.

He got swamped with the worst IC reign in years and they took away his rad music for a Wyatt reunion nobody wanted. Not his fault

Guys can do it. the Bucks, Colt Cabana, AJ Styles. Itsfucking tough but if you are trying to be a performer it might be the thing to do. I mean how many times should Cody Rhodes get a chance when you have a roster coming up with Zayns, Owens, Balor, and countless more new people.

Maybe going to a different location gives you a new and unique skill like say Harper. Harper because of his work in Mexico could probably get a good match from anyone on the roster. Can Swagger say that? Can Bo Dallas say that?

I think its different for guys going to WWE vs guys in WWE that are there for a long time and just blend in. I remember hearing a Daniel Bryan say that guys would show up to main event and superstars and pray to just get their check and not work.

Did the Bucks and AJ work for WWE, leave, and define their value? No. They did not. Cabana makes significantly more money from his podcast and deals with One Hour Tees than he does from wrestling. Dudes like Cody Rhodes and Justin Gabriel leaving WWE to work indies isn't going to do shit for them. Do you think Drew McIntrye's value in the eyes of WWE has been raised by his time in TNA and Euro indies?

The worst in years is probably a stretch considering Bryan and Ryback's.

Bryan's lasted weeks with two singles matches (one he won, another he lost by countout because of concussion) and gave it up due to injury

Ryback got staph infection, but months later still has it and has also beat people

Harper had it for a month, and never won a match while holding it, before losing it back to the guy he won it from

Did the Bucks and AJ work for WWE, leave, and define their value? No. They did not. Cabana makes significantly more money from his podcast and deals with One Hour Tees than he does from wrestling. Dudes like Cody Rhodes and Justin Gabriel leaving WWE to work indies isn't going to do shit for them. Do you think Drew McIntrye's value in the eyes of WWE has been raised by his time in TNA and Euro indies?

if WWE was run by smart people drew's value would be rasied. but they probalby still see him as a jobber

OctoMan

Banned
It's really hard to tell but I've always thought Luke is good in the ring. Didn't they align him with the authority and give him no worthwhile feuds or matches? Maybe that's the truth.
I think hes good in the ring, yeah, but his character was terrible. You can say his booking is bad, yeah, but everyone's booking is bad and you still have to find a way to get over. He was just same wyatt character without the wyatt family, okay then. He got high profile feuds and time to show himself off that most of the roster would kill for, and failed.

It honestly takes a lot to admit that because I root for the guy

if WWE was run by smart people drew's value would be rasied. but they probalby still see him as a jobber

well, how would it have raised his value? They knew he could wrestle. The gimmick and promos he's come up with is fucking terrible. Wow, he can make indie fans get heated. They have a lot of guys on the roster that can do that. What sets him apart? What would have raised his value for WWE?

well, how would it have raised his value? They knew he could wrestle. The gimmick and promos he's come up with is fucking terrible. Wow, he can make indie fans get heated. They have a lot of guys on the roster that can do that. What sets him apart? What would have raised his value for WWE?

the fact htat he is etter than slumming it with 3MB. everything ibv seen on the indies, meakes me think wwe missed the boat. dude would be great in NXT.

WMBT27

Luke Harper probably should have replaced/joined Kane as the authority heavy around Survivor Series last year.

I agree. Clean shaven, haircut, suited up Luke Harper wrecking fools for the Authority would have been great.

As it stands, I have a feeling he's headed for the "feuding with Bray for control of the family" storyline.

Bray will be standing behind Samwell Tarley Wyatt and telling him to "punish" Harper because "sister Abigail told me about your betrayal. She told me all great men get stabbed in the back by treasonous snakes and that my destiny is to break that serpent under the heel of my boot." Then Samwell slowly turns and attacks Bray instead.

Cue Harper doing the Bray Wyatt "follow the buzzards" pose as they fade to commercial.

Daniel Bryan vacated three titles over a year and a half.

The most title vacations;

3 Vacated titles: Bryan, Tiger Mask, Jeff Jarrett, Bret Hart, Edge.
4 VT: Sting, HBK, Stone Cold,.
5 VT: Scott Hall

annnnnd with the most vacated titles isssssssssssssssss

Ric Flair with 6.

Fox318

CJ parker
Scotty Goldman
Derrick Bateman
Kassius Ohno

AJ and the Bucks were offered NXT deals and turned them down since they could make more with NJPW/ROH and indies.

They left and managed to find a spot and a living. They evolved their characters and got better as performers outside of the WWE system. Outside of the political structure of WWE and Vince's physical preference each of these guys could probably get rehired.

If Cody Runnels is fired who gets him? What is his value other than the son of Dusty and a solid worker?

If Cody wants to be an agent or a coach then by all means continue to make bank there but I don't see how he evolves the Stardust character or changes himself up again. He isn't Sandow in that way. Sandow took a shit idea and turned it to gold and even Sandow went to Puerto Rico and learned a ton down there.

He's one of those guys that everyone says the WWE needs to keep because he is so talented but at the same time they have nothing for him. And creative isn't changing anytime soon.

Sure some guys you can see the ceiling on them if they don't have the companies good graces.

Heath Slater will probably never main event money and ever get a higher spot than comedy jobber but that's what he is and he is good at it.

Bubba(Bully)Ray evolved and changed for the better from getting out of the WWE and maybe that's what somebody like a lifelong employee like Cody needs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Do they count the random times in late WCW where they'd just strip the title as Vacancies? That happened to Flair at least twice.

CJ parker
Scotty Goldman
Derrick Bateman
Kassius Ohno

AJ and the Bucks were offered NXT deals and turned them down since they could make more with NJPW/ROH and indies.

They left and managed to find a spot and a living. They evolved their characters and got better as performers outside of the WWE system. Outside of the political structure of WWE and Vince's physical preference each of these guys could probably get rehired.

If Cody Runnels is fired who gets him? What is his value other than the son of Dusty and a solid worker?

If Cody wants to be an agent or a coach then by all means continue to make bank there but I don't see how he evolves the Stardust character or changes himself up again. He isn't Sandow in that way. Sandow took a shit idea and turned it to gold and even Sandow went to Puerto Rico and learned a ton down there.

He's one of those guys that everyone says the WWE needs to keep because he is so talented but at the same time they have nothing for him. And creative isn't changing anytime soon.

Sure some guys you can see the ceiling on them if they don't have the companies good graces.

Heath Slater will probably never main event money and ever get a higher spot than comedy jobber but that's what he is and he is good at it.

Bubba(Bully)Ray evolved and changed for the better from getting out of the WWE and maybe that's what somebody like a lifelong employee like Cody needs.

Problem is once wwe has an opinion of you, you are fucked. Bully Ray was amazing in TNA but in wwe he back to good ole bubba.(granted we might get bully at some point).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Boootaaaay will have to back me up on this since I don't have a gif, but Mad Max has the best in-game lariat I've ever seen.

the fact htat he is etter than slumming it with 3MB. everything ibv seen on the indies, meakes me think wwe missed the boat. dude would be great in NXT.

3MB was the best part of his WWE run. He's a guy they gave chances to (including being the last guy Vince came out and endorsed on screen) and he just wasn't able to connect to a big audience.

On the indies, of course he connects to those little crowds. They're excited to see a WWE star, especially in the UK where he's the hometown boy who made it big and came back. But what does that show to WWE? He was basically in the same position Cesaro has been in, except Cesaro was able to connect with the crowds 100% on ring work and Drew wasn't. Does wrestling in front of a few hundred people that are really into the show make Drew more valuable to WWE? I don't think so. I don't think they do, either, since they were cool to let him leave.

Fox318

Smackdown spoiler

* Stardust vs. Neville is next. The match never starts as The Ascension lays Neville out at ringside. Apparently they are with Stardust now.

Evolution 2.0

WMBT27

Of all the guys in WWE I think Cody is the one that would really benefit the most from there being a legitimate number 2 promotion. Even something like 2005-2006 TNA would be a chance for him to prove he could carry a promotion as "the guy" without the pressure of WWE.

Unfortunately current TNA or GFW doesn't really fit that profile.

Christian and Brock Lesnar are the only guys in the past 15 years to leave WWE and come back with more value. Brock is Brock and is a unique case in all of sports. Christian left WWE specifically telling them he could be a top guy and would prove it, and they let him to out and prove it. This was at a time when TNA kind of sort of mattered enough that it was on the radar for Christian's run to prove himself. That shit is long gone. EC3 ain't proving shit to WWE carrying the husk of TNA on his back.

thats just a guess on my end

They have worked together before and they wear bright colors for the kids

I was kinda hoping for some singles guys to team up with him considering how many are in limbo and it would help out the tag division a little more. I mean, your guess makes sense, but I just don't care about them at all.

Top Bottom