• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

jmdajr

weird thing I didn't pay attention enough to see Sting collapse, I thought it was a work but watching the replays this morning he's clearly fucked... the way he runs the rope and falls down like a sack of potatoes is really scary

The flow of the match just completely stopped. Sting just did too much man.
Not sure if he shows up on RAW, but he deserves a standing ovation.

Sephzilla

weird thing I didn't pay attention enough to see Sting collapse, I thought it was a work but watching the replays this morning he's clearly fucked... the way he runs the rope and falls down like a sack of potatoes is really scary

I just went and watched that segment of the match. Yeah, the way he just crumbles is legit scary.

hamchan

The flow of the match just completely stopped. Sting just did too much man.
Not sure if he shows up on RAW, but he deserves a standing ovation.

The dude looked dead and he still climbed on top of the turnbuckle to jump on Rollins. His body couldn't handle it anymore but he still wanted to keep going. Legend for sure.

Sephzilla

Part of me kind of hopes Undertaker looks at Sting and realizes this is going to be him if he tries to keep going after Mania 32. I don't want to see Taker in that state either.

So KO winning the title, they going to have Sami come back for feud. That will elevate IC title right guys right?

Zayn and Owens feuding for the IC title could end up making that title feel worth a damn again. Hell, once Sami is back they could pretty much just have the Owens/Zayn feud pick up where it left off just with the IC belt in place instead of the NXT belt

imBask

Banned
So KO winning the title, they going to have Sami come back for feud. That will elevate IC title right guys right?

lol no, you know who would really like to get that IC title?

big-show.jpg

rrc1594

Zayn and Owens feuding for the IC title could end up making that title feel worth a damn again. Hell, once Sami is back they could pretty much just have the Owens/Zayn feud pick up where it left off just with the IC belt in place instead of the NXT belt
Absolutely. I think it's a good move.

RIght it's right there. I mean Higher ups can't be that silly

lol no, you know who would really like to get that IC title?

Plz stop because it's possible

Xater

I'd watch that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind Owens can't do better than a feud with Zayn, and vice versa. Don't be so quick to want their ultimate feud happening over a meaningless belt. Dream bigger. Let it cook.

Sephzilla

Keep in mind Owens can't do better than a feud with Zayn, and vice versa. Don't be so quick to want their ultimate feud happening over a meaningless belt. Dream bigger. Let it cook.

Austin and Rock feuded over the IC belt, that didn't hurt shit when they feuded for the world title later on in their careers.

imBask

Banned

we just had a major PPV focus on Dudleys, Jericho, Sting, Kane, Cena and Sheamus, I don't trust them anymore when it comes to doing something big with young stars

Sanjuro

I think people are still outing too much emphasis on the belts. Kind of in the manner when they get a hard on for random popular/new wrestler and immediately want him to have the big belt. As long as they are putting on decent matches there is no actual difference.

Sanjuro

Right on. Does anyone really believe that Nikki Bella, for example, cares about an arbitrary number of days she's held onto a belt that was scripted to her?

In that manner I belive some of them do. Carnies need to be proud about something. If Kevin Owens has that same mindset or not it's beyond me.

bjork

Right on. Does anyone really believe that Nikki Bella, for example, cares about an arbitrary number of days she's held onto a belt that was scripted to her?

I think it was someone here that posted it, but I saw some online photo of her with the belt, maybe instagram, with a big long caption about how she worked so hard for it and this is for you dad and all this stuff. So sure, she might.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming he doesn't get a career ending injury, yes. Owens is 31. We just had a PPV where a 56 year old man fought for a world title.

You're kind of developing an irrational hate for the guy.

You need to distance your (irrational) hate for the man from the reality of his circumstances. Of course he will be.

Guys, you're kneejerking. I don't hate him. All of these "grinded out years and years in the indies" mean to me:

Why wouldn't he?

He's had years and years and years on the indies and beat himself up, ala Bryan.

Sephzilla

Guys, you're kneejerking. I don't hate him. All of these "grinded out years and years in the indies" mean to me:

He's had years and years and years on the indies and beat himself up, ala Bryan.

I admittedly didn't follow much of his indie career but did he do as much stupid shit as Bryan did in the indies? If he did, then I can understand thinking Owens might not be around for a long time.

Fantomex

Stang got old. It's ok. People get old and retire. He had a great career, considering Flair was doing most of the booking while he was in WCW, I'm surprised he even got to be champ once.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I admittedly didn't follow much of his indie career but did he do as much stupid shit as Bryan did in the indies? If he did, then I can understand thinking Owens might not be around for a long time.

I don't think Bryan really DID stupid shit in the indies - it was just the sustained work and bumps. Owens has taken his fair share. I doubt as much as Bryan, but...years of wrestling for pennies is rough. Rollins did it as well, but so far so good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I also highly recommend the Stone Cold Unleashed podcast with Scott Hall. Lots of good stories about him breaking in, a lot of love given to Barry Windham and a lot more folks. Really good stuff. Hall sounds amazing. Great DDP impression as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I can't imagine anyone in the backstage that doesn't work hard. Looks like these belts are given to reward "employee of the month" or to people who can evoke ratings.

Speaking of which, Rollins has been champ since March. I can't help wonder why they decided to hand it to him for that long. Again, not to take away from his talent but half a year for Seth seems like, I dunno, a stretch.

He's successfully getting across the shitty heel managing to escape with the belt. It's been pretty good in that respect - we keep expecting him to lose it, but he weasels out. It's been good.

I don't think Bryan really DID stupid shit in the indies - it was just the sustained work and bumps. Owens has taken his fair share. I doubt as much as Bryan, but...years of wrestling for pennies is rough. Rollins did it as well, but so far so good.

Bryan did crazier shit in WWE than he did on the indies

So when is The E going to stop hiring indie darlings that don't know how to work safe and deliver serious neck and career ending injuries to their opponents?

bjork

To be fair, I can't imagine anyone in the backstage that doesn't work hard. Looks like these belts are given to reward "employee of the month" or to people who can evoke ratings.

Speaking of which, Rollins has been champ since March. I can't help wonder why they decided to hand it to him for that long. Again, not to take away from his talent but half a year for Seth seems like, I dunno, a stretch.

I'm sure everyone does work hard, yeah. I accept that posts on people's accounts stay in character sometimes, and so you want to be an inspiration or whatever. But there is a difference between being chosen to keep a belt on a show and like, some regular joe finishing a marathon or climbing a mountain or something. Isn't there? :shrug:

So when is The E going to stop hiring indie darlings that don't know how to work safe and deliver serious neck and career ending injuries to their opponents?

When they go out of business. If that's all there is to hire so far as a draw who will walk the company line, what do you do?

Fantomex

I also highly recommend the Stone Cold Unleashed podcast with Scott Hall. Lots of good stories about him breaking in, a lot of love given to Barry Windham and a lot more folks. Really good stuff. Hall sounds amazing. Great DDP impression as well.

It's crazy to hear how many people Windham helped in their careers.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Another one of my favorite matches this year that probably got slept on. Flamita(c) vs Tozawa(the only upload I could find was with fan commentary because the RealHero version got purged). It's a really great match because it shows you can do a fast paced match and a lot of spots without sacrificing storytelling. One of my favorite moments of the year is when ending
where Tozawa has Flamita ready for a german, Flamita struggles for the ropes while the fans yell for him before Flamita finally accepts, 'I'm not getting to the ropes, am I?' and from that point on, his defeat is a formality. It's sobering.

bjork

Here's a thought, how about they slow down the matches to not be Spot fests.

Hey, I'm with you. I've wanted them to go back to an old style for years now, but would that bring ratings? I'm not saying unsafe work does either, but they raised the bar in the 90s on what is expected and then never tried to lower it. I'd enjoy it much more if they did, and holds still worked and people didn't kick out of finishers unless it was a super important match, etc.

Top Bottom