• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

klonere

Banned
I remember hearing Jericho say that nobody in the company had any idea what he was going to say in his debut promo.

That's insane, like irresponsible levels of creative freedom for performers back then. He'd just come from WCW, he could have said anything. I wonder what the turning points were for WWE to go from that stance to the approach they have now regarding promos.

BadAss2961

Sting :(

This WWE run sucked bad. He never should've went through with it.

How hard was just one match with Taker at Wrestlemania? Seriously, how fucking hard was that?

Even let him wear the ECW title

And then HHH ate him AND Dreamer

I remember hearing Jericho say that nobody in the company had any idea what he was going to say in his debut promo.

That's insane, like irresponsible levels of creative freedom for performers back then. He'd just come from WCW, he could have said anything. I wonder what the turning points were for WWE to go from that stance to the approach they have now regarding promos.

Giving Iron Sheik a live mic
Or that Diva Search thing where Hemme freaking went darkest timeline on one of the girls with her shade

Sephzilla

They probably trusted Jericho to cut a decent opening promo since they already saw his body of work in WCW.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There haven't been any megastars besides Cena and Orton who debuted in the era where scripted promos were the norm and not the exception. They usually just let the star go out there or with bullet points.

Ironically Cena is the one guy they actually trust enough to say his own shit most of the time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hemme is someone who I missed the entire WWE career of. All I know is that she couldn't wrestle and was super fucking hot.

Vestal

Its just a freaking downward spiral. We are almost to a point were you will need to Spam Finishers during a non-tv match in order to get a pin.

Arguably the two Hotest WWE superstars of the past 15 years (Austin and Rock) were not spot fest machines.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Its just a freaking downward spiral. We are almost to a point were you will need to Spam Finishers during a non-tv match in order to get a pin.

Arguably the two Hotest WWE superstars of the past 15 years (Austin and Rock) were not spot fest machines.

...Except they were the ones who tore the house down at X-7 and brought the trading finishers, kick out of every protected move match to the WWE. It's in fact entirely their fault for being awesome.

Yeah, they were lucky Jericho is a massive fucking cheeseball. Imagine Steiner debuting back then.

Dude, it's...it's fuckin wild.

There was some segment during the Search where they gave the girls live mics and told them to insult the other girls.

Almost everybody insulted the one chick everyone bad legged to win, and Hemme blasted her with one of the most foul insults ever on live TV. And I can't remember what it was

Lol wtf, Austin and Rock spammed the shit out of their finishes during their matches

Striker

That shit was more out of nowhere than ANY RKO

And she won the damn thing
All I think of from the Diva Search is one would win, but they'd sign a 3-4 anyways. Or maybe it was the year before. Because I know Candice Michelle came in by it, so did Michelle McCool I think. Amy Weber and Joy Giovanni too. Mmm.

It's safe to say they started it.

In Rock's book he mentions how they both thought kicking out of each other's finishers would be super rad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, they were lucky Jericho is a massive fucking cheeseball. Imagine Steiner debuting back then.

It would be almost a year later when Steiner finally became a main eventer in WCW, basically by going super fucking hard on all of his promos. Nothing he said back then would phase anyone on the WWF side of things, who didn't even begin to tone down their promos until post 9/11, and even then you could say some vile shit for the next seven years.

View from last night. Wasn't too bad.
5pDmjny.jpg

Vestal

...Except they were the ones who tore the house down at X-7 and brought the trading finishers, kick out of every protected move match to the WWE. It's in fact entirely their fault for being awesome.

Yeah in the Main Event of WM.. Not on raw at the half way mark of the show.

There was some segment during the Search where they gave the girls live mics and told them to insult the other girls.

Almost everybody insulted the one chick everyone bad legged to win, and Hemme blasted her with one of the most foul insults ever on live TV. And I can't remember what it was

Cum guzzling gutter slut?

jmdajr

It only took 1 AA to take out Rollins this time!

Should we complain about that too?

I liked the leg drop to AA. I mean that leg drop should be higher on the damage meter.

Vestal

Right but that match being so awesome trickled down over time to the point where it happens in the middle of a RAW match.

That's why you have bookers, to prevent shit like that. The sort of thing that Hogan vs Macho did, Warrior vs Hogan, or Austin Rock did should be exclusively for a main event type deal, a once in a blue moon type thing.

jmdajr

People kicking out of finishers has always been a thing, but in terms of the modern trend of finishes not being safe I kind of think HBK vs Taker 2 at WrestleMania 26 is where things got really out of control.

Well remember when the dragon punch used to be enough? Now you need a level 3 super dragon punch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I liked the leg drop to AA. I mean that leg drop should be higher on the damage meter.

I was happy about this as well.

If I was booking I'd legitimately consider making people always kicking out of AA (two people kicked out of Super AA's in the past year!) into a training angle where Cena develops a new ultimate finisher.

Vestal

There are a lot of moves that should be much Higher on the damage meter.

1. DDT
2. Powerbomb
3. Corner Powerbomb
4. SuperKick
5. SuperPlex
6. FrogSplash

To name a few.

Top Bottom