• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Aiii

So not worth it
The Network is booming this week, tonight is the 2nd part of JBL and Bischoff, they had DDP do a top 10 Nitro moments, there's Bischoff himself counting down the top 10 most controversial Bischoff moments and to top it all off, the new Table for 3 is with Alundra Blayze/Madusa, Molly Holly and Ivory.

I don't think Stang's coming back unless its to work something really limited like bret/vince was. It's a pity as he could still go and I think with some creative rehab he could've had a lot of gravitas to him again.

Hope he knows he can hang it up now, the comparison to mick foley was made before but really I don't know how much you can compare the two, Sting got beat up and possibly ended but he'll still be largely mobile for the rest of his dayz

Recall

This is a larger WWE fault, but I have to ask.

Has Seth Rollins ever told any kind of interesting story in the ring other than hitting lots of big spots to get the crowd to pat him on the back? The Sting match got me thinking. That's not the match you should have with Sting, but Seth just had the exact same high paced, lots of spots matches he has with everyone. The same PWG with less movez matches he always has. Undertaker/Brock told a fantastic story in the end despite my doubts about Undertaker surviving the match. HHH vs Bryan told a story and it was very different from HHH or Bryan's usual matches. Even Bray vs Bryan was a different paced match than either guy wrestles.

So Seth has the same promos every week and the same kind of matches every week. What I'm saying is Kane better finish writing his will.

Modern american wrestling doesnt have stories, it has just spots and rest holds.

Where are my suplexes, backbreakers, knee lifts and stomping without it being treated like a fucking highspot? Instead lets super kick everything all the time.

Oh and where is the selling?

I loved Ryback vs Owens because it wasn't move spam, it was the heel controlling the match, picking apart a body part and the work Owens did throughout played into the finish. The only downside was Ryback selling like Peter Griffin.

But I think the reason I enjoyed that match so much was because it felt fresh and different. It was unlike anything else on the card, a well worked match without the awfully dull tit-for-tat in-ring style that WWE has developed.

KingBroly

Banned
Modern american wrestling doesnt have stories, it has just spots and rest holds.

Where are my suplexes, backbreakers, knee lifts and stomping without it being treated like a fucking highspot? Instead lets super kick everything all the time.

I think WCW back when they debuted Nitro had the right idea about how to present wrestling. As a sport. With rules and logic. WWE under Vince is all about entertainment DAMMIT.

I mean, it did go off the rails at some point, but until Hogan paid off Nick Patrick it was doing well for the most part.

I think you might enjoy EVOLVE's grapple-heavy style.

Certainly, Hero's matches usually tell stories.

JavyOO7

Watching those early episodes of Nitro makes me wish Hogan never made it to WCW. He's so corny. Even the crowd boo's him and Hogan is cutting promos like he's in the 80s still. He does have his funny as hell -ism's though, like: "That big nasty stinky giant, brother!"

KingBroly

Banned
Watching those early episodes of Nitro makes me wish Hogan never made it to WCW. He's so corny. Even the crowd boo's him and Hogan is cutting promos like he's in the 80s still. He does have his funny as hell -ism's though, like: "That big nasty stinky giant, brother!"

He still acts that way.

bjork

But it's the best acting ever when he thinks he killed Giant at the sumo truck match.

Had a good chuckle reading that line in his voice.

Yep. Although I know about the 'proper' Kane, because I only started watching this year it's just been suit & tie Kane I've been subjected to.

Do you have the network? The Kane/Bearer vs Undertaker feud that ran from 21/7/97(following directly on from the bearer+mankind/vader vs taker feud) to Wrestlemania 14 is one of the best things the WWF has ever done. The vignette they ran showcasing the whole feud at WM14 is probably the best promo package the wwf has ever put together too.

Kane was a frigging monster back then, and imo the best monster heel the wwf has ever had.

klonere

Banned

tumblr_inline_ntk3ir7btv1qz7tkz_500.gif

Zach

If Sting is able, he should totally come back and have a match with Seth. They could easily work a much safer match with Sting acknowledging that Seth tried to end his career last time. The entire rematch could be Sting wrestling defensively, playing the counterpuncher, blocking Seth's big move attempts, etc. So, you know, they could tell a story.

bjork

Do you have the network? The Kane/Bearer vs Undertaker feud that ran from 7/21/97(following directly on from the bearer+mankind/vader vs taker feud) to Wrestlemania 14 is one of the best things the WWF has ever done. The vignette they ran showcasing the whole feud at WM14 is probably the best promo package the wwf has ever put together too.

Kane was a frigging monster back then, and imo the best monster heel the wwf has ever had.

lol no

Fox318

that gif

that's why only one of them is great. What a heel, what a smart person

Oh please Bayley's selling is what made that move mean just as much.

If that was Cena he would have no sold it and would have been High Fiving the most photogenic fan during a rest spot.

klonere

Banned
A ton of people loved that Kane-Undertaker feud.

It went on for about 4 months too long and dragged Austin into it resulting in some really boring stuff imo. Like the entire summer/early fall of 1997 was Kane/Taker/Austin and nothing else. And it led to a really terrible Buried Alive match in 98.

But yeah at the time it seemed pretty popular hehehe

Fox318

I really want to see Biker Taker vs Korprate Kane

Kane is trying to convince his brother to get a job and the benefits of small government and the privatization of fire departments and banning public education.

Taker is trying to hang out with people much younger than he is too busy trying to pick up women and convince them that he is the big dog in the yard.

It went on for about 4 months too long and dragged Austin into it resulting in some really boring stuff imo. Like the entire summer/early fall of 1997 was Kane/Taker/Austin and nothing else. And it led to a really terrible Buried Alive match in 98.

But yeah at the time it seemed pretty popular hehehe

Huh? Kane didn't even debut until October. And I'm not counting any of the post WM14 stuff. That was the real blowoff of the feud, the stuff after that was a result of kane now being a main-event talent.

--edit

oh wait, you mean 1998 right? Yeah, that's not the feud.

Browny

Banned

Kane is trying to convince his brother to get a job and the benefits of small government and the privatization of fire departments and banning public education.

Taker is trying to hang out with people much younger than he is too busy trying to pick up women and convince them that he is the big dog in the yard.

QYJw1b.jpg

imBask

Banned
Oh please Bayley's selling is what made that move mean just as much.

If that was Cena he would have no sold it and would have been High Fiving the most photogenic fan during a rest spot.

John Cena is a 15 time world champion, I will not tolerate this abuse

Striker

A ton of people loved the backstreet boys too, it doesn't make it the best thing music ever did.
I definitely enjoyed the build with Paul Bearer and the vignettes they'd do (prior to Badd Blood). The debut for Kane was really cool and is probably one of the best debuts they've ever done. He had an awesome presence. Did it go on too long? Probably, and I always felt Kane should've gone over at that following Mania.

I have to assume this is what we're building towards.
Dick Kicker Taker will successfully boot Lesnar's nads for a three count at Hell in a Cell reawakening his Booger Red Big Evil phase while Split Personality Glenn takes the WWE title off the dangerous ratings killer Rollins.

Which then puts them as the top two in the company primed for the continuation of their forever war with a modern twist.

jmdajr

not by a long shot, jmdajr. in fact, if it is indeed stenosis, he has a good shot at returning dependent on what caused it. Likely, it was one vertebrae pressing on another in which case surgery can fix the matter. in theory, again dependent on variables at play here, he could return in 3 months.

Hmmm.

But is that wise though?

Top Bottom