• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Sephzilla

Cena wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, he's too strong for that

B-f6R8HIgAACe2_.png

klonere

Banned
Huh? Kane didn't even debut until October. And I'm not counting any of the post WM14 stuff. That was the real blowoff of the feud, the stuff after that was a result of kane now being a main-event talent.

--edit

oh wait, you mean 1998 right? Yeah, that's not the feud.

yeah I meant 98, got my darn years mixed up.

bjork

I definitely enjoyed the build with Paul Bearer and the vignettes they'd do (prior to Badd Blood). The debut for Kane was really cool and is probably one of the best debuts they've ever done. He had an awesome presence. Did it go on too long? Probably, and I always felt Kane should've gone over at that following Mania.

It did go on too long. Paul Bearer started saying shit about UT's big secret or whatever shortly after WM 13. Then Kane debuted in October. Then Kane just randomly came out and slaughtered fools, which did nothing for anyone. Of course he can do that, he's the UT's brother so he has powers or whatever.

Cool actual debut and a cool look, but I was tired of Kane well before their WM14 match. Kanearooni is his finest moment.

Fox318

Why is it the pass out babyface spot with Cena and others looks so stupid yet the Austin pass out at 13 looks so awesome?

13 felt like a story and everyone one just feels like they needed an out to a finish.

imBask

Banned
Why is it the pass out babyface spot with Cena and others looks so stupid yet the Austin pass out at 13 looks so awesome?

13 felt like a story and everyone one just feels like they needed an out to a finish.

because we know it's just bullshit to protect Cena, one day the creatives will realize that the internet EXISTS and that what they did back then might not work these days...

DMczaf

Because Cena's character forgets shit 5 mins later like some ADHD riddled child. He loses world titles and then the next night tag teams with the dude who beat him for the title. That's Cena.

When Brock did the pass out gimmick, it felt like something Brock would do. And then he made it Brock Perfect with the middle finger right before death.

Sephzilla

1) Blood

2) It made people respect a heel back when that shit didn't happen

3) It resulted in a double turn

4) These days it's a cheap way to protect a face

bjork

You weren't on the internet surrounded by smarks pointing out how dumb it is and Austin was probably the first you saw do it. The first time is always the most impactful.

Because he's bleeding, and Austin wasn't booked as unstoppable.

13 worked because it was the climax of a fued that was really unlike anything seen on WWF programming in a long while. A true blood fued between two people that completely hated each other (in kayfabe). Bret returns after being called out for months and steals a win from stone cold in a rollup, they engage in a game of cat and mouse that lasts for months, sees bret pick up and drop the title, and ultimate him snapping at the people t hat he used to depend on.

The match itself shows the two of them in complete desperation, the spot where austin tries to strangle bret with an electrical cord until bret manages to get his hands on a bell to clock austin says it all really. The sharpshooter spot and the passout is like a point of no return for Bret where he refuses to break it as he finally gets revenge on the guy who had gotten under his skin more than anyone else in the company.

Cena fueds sadly don't have that kind of long term writing to it, its not his fault. Things in WWE typically move too fast to sink in like that, and if they don't they just repeat the same segments over and over with neither character really growing. In another world Cena-Orton colliding again would be momentous, right now its bunk.

KingBroly

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;179813749 said:
13 worked because it was the climax of a fued that was really unlike anything seen on WWF programming in a long while. A true blood fued between two people that completely hated each other (in kayfabe). Bret returns after being called out for months and steals a win from stone cold in a rollup, they engage in a game of cat and mouse that lasts for months, sees bret pick up and drop the title, and ultimate him snapping at the people t hat he used to depend on.

The match itself shows the two of them in complete desperation, the spot where austin tries to strangle bret with an electrical cord until bret manages to get his hands on a bell to clock austin says it all really. The sharpshooter spot and the passout is like a point of no return for Bret where he refuses to break it as he finally gets revenge on the guy who had gotten under his skin more than anyone else in the company.

Cena fueds sadly don't have that kind of long term writing to it, its not his fault. Things in WWE typically move too fast to sink in like that, and if they don't they just repeat the same segments over and over with neither character really growing. In another world Cena-Orton colliding again would be momentous, right now its bunk.

WM14 would've worked better if it was Bret v. Austin for the Title.

Oersted

Folks, opinion time

Braun Strongmann...

Future of World Wrestling Entertainment? Sexual? Best thing ever? He will get fed anyway, so how could I care?

It did go on too long. Paul Bearer started saying shit about UT's big secret or whatever shortly after WM 13. Then Kane debuted in October. Then Kane just randomly came out and slaughtered fools, which did nothing for anyone. Of course he can do that, he's the UT's brother so he has powers or whatever.

Cool actual debut and a cool look, but I was tired of Kane well before their WM14 match. Kanearooni is his finest moment.

I enjoyed the slow burn - taker refusing to fight his brother, the fake reconcilliation, the betrayal at the rumble...

imBask

Banned
Folks, opinion time

Braun Strongmann...

Future of World Wrestling Entertainment? Sexual? Best thing ever? He will get fed anyway, so how could I care?

will split from the wyatts within a year and fail his solo run, will be repackaged as a monster lucha who loves to party

bjork

WM14 would've worked better if it was Bret v. Austin for the Title.

Could you imagine? He came out of the crowd and beat Austin after Austin beat HBK. "This is for Wrestlemania 9, go to hell Vince! Go to hell Hogan!"

Then he turns up on ECW and throws the world title in the trash.

I enjoyed the slow burn - taker refusing to fight his brother, the fake reconcilliation, the betrayal at the rumble...

I'm generally a fan of a slow burn, but that one took too long. Something I hate about late 90s wrestling in general is the introduction of the drawn out entrance and promo on every weekly show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Folks, opinion time

Braun Strongmann...

He's dope. Awesome look. Bright future.

Fox318

I'm just shocked as to why it worked fine with Brock and yet look at this one with Sheamus and a rising Rusev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xgKgffQlc

Why not just have Rusev tap him out there? Instead you feel like you've been ripped off and its a cheap attempt at trying to get a heel over.

We need more enhancement talent in WWE. I have no idea why Bo Dallas, Jack Swagger, and R-Truth aren't jobbing every night to make others look good.

I mean if Goldberg just wrestled Nash everynight he wouldn't have gotten over.

You need Jerry Flynn's and Hugh Morris's out there to make guys look strong while a feud is being booked.

Sephzilla

I'm just shocked as to why it worked fine with Brock and yet look at this one with Sheamus and a rising Rusev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xgKgffQlc

Why not just have Rusev tap him out there? Instead you feel like you've been ripped off and its a cheap attempt at trying to get a heel over.

We need more enhancement talent in WWE. I have no idea why Bo Dallas, Jack Swagger, and R-Truth aren't jobbing every night to make others look good.

I mean if Goldberg just wrestled Nash everynight he wouldn't have gotten over.

You need Jerry Flynn's and Hugh Morris's out there to make guys look strong while a feud is being booked.

Because WWE's mindsight in 2015 is that everybody needs to be protected and nobody can cleanly win a feud. Unless it's Cena which means fuck you he's beating you three straight PPVs

Strowman has a fantastic look but he doesn't look like he can move well, so I don't see much for him long term once cena or reigns pins him and breaks his mystique.

I prefer my monsters in the kane/taker/umaga/bigelow/vader etc vein.

Caderfix

Folks, opinion time

Braun Strongmann...

Give him a new and more impactful finisher and he's golden, even with his huge baby face. I hope he does well, as I like brutes in wrestling.

Fox318

Strowman has a fantastic look but he doesn't look like he can move well, so I don't see much for him long term once cena or reigns pins him and breaks his mystique.

I prefer my monsters in the kane/taker/umaga/bigelow/vader etc vein.

Honestly its why he needs a mask.

If only to allow his character to lose it and force a change in demeanor.

imBask

Banned
Strowman could be a good heel monster, he just needs to move better AND he really needs a finisher, both of his finishers look incredibly dumb. The slam is bad and I always hated bear hugs

just give him a huge powerbomb instead

jmdajr

Laugh if you like, but bigorexia is real. The day you start lifting is the day you're forever small. We deal with it a lot in FitGAF.

I had to give up lifting heavy weights because my joints couldn't take it anymore. It took awhile to get over not been able to be big and swole.

Top Bottom