• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

V_Arnold

Thanks for the game, Feep.
Sadly, it does not work for me.

Win7, 64 bit, Athlon Phenom2 550 @ 3.0ghz.
HD4850 with 1gb ram. 2 gb DDR3 ram @ 1000mhz.

The logo comes up, then bam, "Sequence stopped working". Tried with vanilla version, after first patch, and after this one too. Do not know what is the cause. Tried it with or without 360 joy plugged in, tried with or without 1440*900 / 1280*720 resolution.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Patch worked, dude. I'm able to play with no issues (so far!).

Feep

Banned
Okay, here's what's up. A patch that fixes the crashing bugs at Tutorial 3 and Spellset menu should be live. Assuming that's all okay, this is the priority bug list:

Priority 1) On most machines, in windowed mode, losing focus/minimizing and then returning to the window will either cause a strange "twitch" every few seconds, or a straight crash, depending on how long you're gone.

This appears to be a deep-rooted issue with XNA. I'll be working closely with the XNA devs today to get to the cause of the issue...they were all asleep last night, unfortunately.

Playing in fullscreen fixes this problem, as does rebooting the game (until you once again minimize it)

Priority 2)
There is a known bug causing a small percentage of users to crash after the logo screen. This will be investigated and fixed.

Priority 3) Resolution. It's unlikely that we'll be able to provide true 1080p options...the art just isn't there for it. However, we want to properly stretch/letterbox the image so that the aspect ratio of 16:9 is properly maintained.

After these three, there are a few minor bugs. But let's knock these off first. = D

lsslave said:
Wait until you go up floors man, trust me.

The game gets pretty hard.

And don't use Barrier (I didn't think it did anything before I erased my save to start finding the glitches), you'll be so busy defending that you'll be jumping between windows so fast it will be just like playing super fast trust me on that :p

I am a freak confirmed. Game feels insanely easier as I get on higher floors. LOL. Well, only the songs that are like 120 bpm+. But even then, the notes are still slow as fuuuuck.

The only thing that's making me trip up is switching between panes. If the panes were fixed but just enlarged when active, it'd be perfect.

Mr_Zombie

Steam said:
The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time
Anyone have this message when trying to start Sequence? :/

EDIT: Nevermind, after veryfing integrity of game cache it started downloading something (about 170mb).

Feep

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Anyone have this message when trying to start Sequence? :/
The only even remotely credible explanation for this is that it's a side effect of Valve attempting to fix the achievements page.

It's all them; I'm going to grab around 5 hours of shuteye...been awake for approaching 37 hours at this point.

See you all...then.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Got the patch. The taskbar flickering is gone, the game doesn't crash when pressing 1, but sadly it crashes after every alt-tab.

Nevertheless, it's great, I'm really enjoying it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Feep said:
Okay, here's what's up. A patch that fixes the crashing bugs at Tutorial 3 and Spellset menu should be live. Assuming that's all okay, this is the priority bug list:

Priority 1) On most machines, in windowed mode, losing focus/minimizing and then returning to the window will either cause a strange "twitch" every few seconds, or a straight crash, depending on how long you're gone.

This appears to be a deep-rooted issue with XNA. I'll be working closely with the XNA devs today to get to the cause of the issue...they were all asleep last night, unfortunately.

Playing in fullscreen fixes this problem, as does rebooting the game (until you once again minimize it)

Priority 2)
There is a known bug causing a small percentage of users to crash after the logo screen. This will be investigated and fixed.

Priority 3) Resolution. It's unlikely that we'll be able to provide true 1080p options...the art just isn't there for it. However, we want to properly stretch/letterbox the image so that the aspect ratio of 16:9 is properly maintained.

After these three, there are a few minor bugs. But let's knock these off first. = D

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! I really appreciate it when a developer is upfront about things and doesn't leave the community wondering what's to happen.

Also, get some sleep. You deserve it.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Just gonna bump some info while Feep gets some rest, if in windowed mode you leave the window and go to return to it the game is going to lock up.

IF you have 0 folders open on your computer, on your taskbar you can select the "Documents" and open that, it works excellently (Win7) every time I tested it.

Just a temporary quick fix to allow for mutlitasking :)

Wow, while I was asleep a patch came out that totally fixed the exact 2 issues that were preventing me from playing the game. That like, never happens. Today is off to a good start.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for getting the fixes out so quickly, Feep!

Got in a couple more battles now that the patch is live... I switched over to Spasmodic difficulty and the jump from Hard is pretty crazy. I wasn't in any danger of failing battles and didn't have any trouble learning spells before, but now there's a good level of challenge and I'm really enjoying the charts.

Victrix

*beard*
This game is dangerous.

One annoyance - there doesn't appear to be any way to map 5 on the numpad if numlock is off, and the numbers are used for spell selection, so short of some awkward remapping on the left side of the keyboard, I can't pair up the keys as

wasd - 8456 or werd - 7895

If that makes sense.

Basically it's breaking my brain to have the left and right in different physical arrangements.

Going to bug some of my rhythm game friends into picking this up. I wonder if it'd work with a DDR pad :V

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, after playing for a good while I've come to the conclusion that I'd prefer the "lanes" to be layed out like < ^ v > rather than < v ^ >. This is just a personal preference, of course, but it would be great if this could be customized by the player!

Also, I think it's sometimes (on faster songs) hard to quickly tell whether two gems (especially if they are not on adjacent lanes) are supposed to be played simultaneously or in rapid succession. Some sort of scrolling beat indicators like in the GH/RB games might have been a good thing here.

And the game just crashed when I Alt+Tabbed my way out of it (from windowed mode) to write this, but I guess that's a known issue. :)

But other than this I'm having loads of fun with it!

birdchili

Feep said:
The only even remotely credible explanation for this is that it's a side effect of Valve attempting to fix the achievements page.

It's all them; I'm going to grab around 5 hours of shuteye...been awake for approaching 37 hours at this point.

See you all...then.
i had that briefly last night when trying to restart the game at one point. was temporary (a couple of minutes).

makes you really confident in this kind of drm when this stuff happens though... yuck.

happy sleeping Feep. just watching you post itt makes me tired:)

CoolS

Just tried it, and it's really great so far, just reached floor 2. Though I suck at rhythm games, and now I have to handle 3 planes at once! But will keep on playing :)

The dialogue is awesome as well, really funny. Racist rap battle had me rolling. Already gifted a copy to a friend as a thank you to you, as well as to get more people playing. Will keep an eye on your little studio :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
barkers crest said:
What happens if you set the game to run in Windows XP Service Pack 2 mode?

Hmm, how do you do that when starting a game from within Steam? Will I have to locate the .exe and set it there?

RoadHazard said:
Hmm, how do you do that when starting a game from within Steam? Will I have to locate the .exe and set it there?

Yeah, find the exe -> right click -> properties -> compatability tab

This isn't official sanctioned advice from Feep/Iridium but this is something that did fix this exact same issue for a level designer in one of my games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
barkers crest said:

This isn't official sanctioned advice from Feep/Iridium but this is something that did fix this exact same issue for a level designer in one of my games.

Yeah, just tried it, and so far so good! Doing this adds the annoyance of UAC popping up when you start the game, but I guess that's better than the game crashing! Does it have any other disadvantages?

The achievements page is finally up!

I've just arrived to the third floor and I'm loving the game so far, I'm taking my time trying to clear each floor's recipes before fighting the boss. One thing I've noticed, though, is that I haven't unlocked the Triple Fortune one. It's supposed to appear when you get an enemy's three items at the same time, right? I've done it three or four times, but it won't unlock.

Also, :lol @ the Triger Boost achievement icon.

EDIT: Am I doing something wrong, or you can't pause the game during a battle? I just lost one because I had to pick up the phone, kept hitting the Escape key but nothing happened.

EDIT2: Ok, Alt+Tab makes the game to pause during battle. Still, it'd be better pressing Esc.

EDIT3: It just happened again! I got three items at the same time but nothing appeared.

gabbo

Bug seemed to have been sorted out, am on floor 2.
Was kind of hoping Ky would comment on the fact I just took a guys pants for victory loot, but hey, the racist rap battle and banter are really adding to the experience.
Good stuff so far.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fare Godmace said:
The achievements page is finally up!

I've just arrived to the third floor and I'm loving the game so far, I'm taking my time trying to clear each floor's recipes before fighting the boss. One thing I've noticed, though, is that I haven't unlocked the Triple Fortune one. It's supposed to appear when you get an enemy's three items at the same time, right? I've done it three or four times, but it won't unlock.

Also, :lol @ the Triger Boost achievement icon.

EDIT: Am I doing something wrong, or you can't pause the game during a battle? I just lost one because I had to pick up the phone, kept hitting the Escape key but nothing happened.
Opening the Steam overlay pauses the game.

Victrix

*beard*
Streaming this live for a bit for anyone who wants to see how it plays.

edit: Hold that though, need to go out for a bit. I'll stream it later, it's fun stuff.

Nabs

TheExodu5 said:
Opening the Steam overlay pauses the game.
and p

Fezan said:
i dont have a wide screen monitor..and almost one quarter of my screen is gone.can some one help me here

have you tried windowed mode? (turn fullscreen off in the options)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
barkers crest said:

Yeah, XNA windowed mode has had problems since Vista that they haven't redeemed yet in 7. XP works fine with XNA code in windowed mode (Been doing some research to help Feep out) from everything I've read.

Feep

Banned
Hey, everyone.

We did some investigating on our current priority 2 bug, the game crashing immediately after the logo screen.

It appears that this error is due to not having Windows Media Player installed or configured properly on your computer.

Apparently, the XNA framework decided to lift numerous audio utilities from the Windows Media Player .dlls, which I suppose Microsoft just assumes are available on every Windows machine.

I apologize here; most users who are savvy enough to not have WMP on their Windows machines probably have a good reason to want it gone. However, an *exceptional* amount of the audio engine, obviously of some significant importance in a rhythm game, was written using these libraries, in ignorance of this strange dependency. It's unlikely we'll be able to rewrite this amount of code in the near future.

To (hopefully) fix this issue, you should renable/reinstall Windows Media Player 12 on Windows Vista or Windows 7. You can head to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, and on the top left-hand side, click "Turn Windows Features On or Off". Expand "Media Features" and make sure that "Windows Media Player" is checked.

If it's already checked, you should attempt to uncheck it, (restart may be required), and then reenable it so that the system will reactivate it.

Feep

Banned
Also, we are aware that the Steam achievement "Triple Fortune" is not currently unlocking correctly. This and a very simple "Hit Esc to Pause" feature should be added before Valve goes home for the weekend.

Hamster0

Found a bug. I was desyth'ing a "Experience gem A", during that i clicked on "Experience gem B" before the desyth'ing finished, the "experience gem B" turned into a magic staff with 0 quantity, and was able to desyth it to -13, seems to be able to desyth for a bit.
T1H6d.jpg

Feep

Banned
Hamster0 said:
Found a bug. I was desyth'ing a "Experience gem A", during that i clicked on "Experience gem B" before the desyth'ing finished, the "experience gem B" turned into a magic staff with 0 quantity, and was able to desyth it to -13, seems to be able to desyth for a bit.
I'll be honest, that's an awesome bug

Feep

Banned
birdchili said:
morning Feep:)

that wasn't five hours of sleep!
I couldn't sleep. How pathetic is that? I woke up after three hours and I couldn't go back to bed.

My poor body.

Holy mother of god feep. This game is amazing! Im in the second floor now. The first boss is just hilarious.
The dialogs are superb, im laughing all the time. I liking the two main charcters. The voice actors did an awesome job.
Also the music is godly. And the gameplay addictive.

I just payed for another copy and send it to a friend. i hope he also likes it. Maybe I send it to more.
You and your team did an awesome job, congrats, and I hope for this game the best.

I told myself to just play 1 battle, which ended up with me getting lost in time and spending 2 hours grinding. Damn, this game is good. Loving the dialogue as well.

WillyFive

The battle system here is brilliant, and would be awesome in other RPG's as well. It's innovative and engaging, especially once you get the hang of it.

Feep

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy mother of god feep. This game is amazing! Im in the second floor now. The first boss is just hilarious.
The dialogs are superb, im laughing all the time. I liking the two main charcters. The voice actors did an awesome job.
Also the music is godly. And the gameplay addictive.

I just payed for another copy and send it to a friend. i hope he also likes it. Maybe I send it to more.
You and your team did an awesome job, congrats, and I hope for this game the best.
Do you people have any idea how fucking happy posts like this make me?

Feep said:
Sent an E-mail to Valve asking them exactly what their disclosure policies are...
I've heard they're not... well probably not what you're hoping for.

Also will play this game tonight. Now I'm expecting big things after some of the posts in here.

Feep, your game is awesome. That is all.

No wait that isnt all... Howcome you can make a Indy game thats more engaging and creative than a lot of big name titles. I love it. I will say im wary the grinding for objects stuff will annoy me, but generally the game is amazing, love the music and fairly fresh take on the ddr style games.

Top Bottom