• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Kettch

Man, Luminary is killing me. Up to 93%, but the beginning and the fast triple arrows are giving me trouble pretty much every time. Hope I can do this before running out of XP.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I had been having some trouble hitting stuff involving both [^] and [v] (either simultaneously or in rapid succession) - them being on different lanes in the game but in the same horizontal position on my keyboard (one above the other) kind of threw me off - so I thought I'd try mapping the keys to four keys in a row instead (such as [H] [J] [K] [L]), corresponding to the order of the lanes, and this works much better for me! The default key bindings work well, but hitting keys based on where the gems are rather than what the arrows on them say feels more natural to me.

Not saying everyone will feel the same (it makes the game feel more like playing a GH/RB game, and not everyone might want that), but I recommend trying it out if you've been having similar problems (and you're playing on a keyboard).

Feep said:
I will note that in the tutorial battles, your actual difficulty is "saved" and replaced with a value of 0 (easy), which means that you guys might have been affected by the crashing from last night in tutorial 3. That's my guess, anyway.

Actually, the difficulty reset happened to me too, and I never got the tutorial crash. I set the game to Hard right away, but after having played for a while I noticed how easy it kept being. So I tried setting it to Hard again, and realized I had never been playing on Hard after all (the increase in difficulty was immense).

Blizzard

Banned
Aside from the known twitchy window issue and some other problems with the graphics freezing when the window lost focus, I've played up through a bit of floor one on (I think) hard difficulty.

The main thing that throws me off is me trying to divide arrows between WASD and arrow keys, which is presumably to get around the issue of scancodes/keyboards/whatever not working properly with certain key combinations. I know that's almost certainly not a game problem.

The music is cool, and the only thing that really annoys me about the game (which I already told Feep about in PM) is that the pure white fullscreen flash for certain spells and battle victories bothers me even when the lights are on in my room. I mean, I presumably won't have a seizure from it but it definitely bothers me.

The concept of the battles and items and progression is very clever. Godo job. :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
The main thing that throws me off is me trying to divide arrows between WASD and arrow keys

You don't have to do that. It works perfectly fine to just use the arrow keys or just WASD (or set them to something else completely, like I've found I prefer).

Feep

Banned
Kettch said:
Man, Luminary is killing me. Up to 93%, but the beginning and the fast triple arrows are giving me trouble pretty much every time. Hope I can do this before running out of XP.
You can practice the song for free...

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten up to Floor the 6th on Spasmodic with the default mappings just fine... arrow keys for all of the rhythm stuff while my left hand uses Q and E to swap and can easily access the number keys. I was thinking of trying to come up with an Xpadder mapping to get my IIDX controller to work with the game, but I thought that would be excessive, heh.

What spells are you all using? Aside from direct damage stuff, I'm a fan of Trigger Boost + Miasma (damage over time), the HP -> MP spell, and siphon spells if I really need HP. No pure healing/defense spells here! :p

Wthermans

Banned
Just wanted to say I am loving this game. Farming items for the Floor 3 boss right now and I can't stop playing. Loving the spell combos and the way mana/spell queuing works. The music is awesome too. Wish I could get a soundtrack to the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Regarding the guardian effect on the 5th floor (not gonna spoil it for those who aren't there yet):
I like it! Sure, it gives you less time to see gems before you have to hit them, but at the same time I think it makes it easier to judge the timing between gems. It's like hyperspeed/breakneck speed in GH/RB. I actually wouldn't mind an option to permanently keep the scroll speed like this. :)

railGUN

Banned
This game is fucking brilliant. I was a DJ Max Portable junkie years ago, and loved Patapon, and this feels like the perfect mix. Well done Feep!

wutwutwut

The only other rhythm game I've played is Rock Band, but I'm finding hard easier than normal. On normal it feels like a lot more stuff is missing, which throws my timing off.

Up to floor 3 at the moment, debating whether to stick to hard or move down before beating the boss.

Spl1nter

Feep said:
Earlier this year, Zeboyd Games made the remarkable claim that they had exceeded their Xbox Live Indie Games lifetime revenue in only six days on Steam. A remarkable feat.

It's a pleasure to inform you, then, that Sequence exceeded its own Xbox Live Indie Games lifetime revenue in seven hours.

Jesus.

Sales may not be AAA caliber, but thanks to you guys, other Steam gamers, and Valve, Iridium Studios is going to be able to continue development and work on future projects for a long time to come.

Thank you, everyone.

Congrats Feep! When will we have the iphone/ipad version :)

Put in an hour so far and it was a lot of fun.

Roquentin

Feep said:
It's a pleasure to inform you, then, that Sequence exceeded its own Xbox Live Indie Games lifetime revenue in seven hours.

Sales may not be AAA caliber, but thanks to you guys, other Steam gamers, and Valve, Iridium Studios is going to be able to continue development and work on future projects for a long time to come.
Great news! Congrats.

Are you using XNA for your next project?

Razor210

Experience so far:
"Hey, this game is pretty cool and fun! Starting to get the hang of it, maybe I'm good with rhyth - OMG FLOOR FIVE OH MAN SO HARD ARRGH"

I think I'm actually getting addicted to this. I think having an arcade mode would be good - sometimes I just want to play tracks without having to go through the story, but its amazingly fresh and the soundtrack is awesome. Amazing job, Feep.

Card Boy

Banned
Holy shit at the writing in this game. Pure gold! That Caleb boss fight was hilarious lol.

Did you do the writing Feep? Heaps of internet referrances.

2637z0y.jpg

Feep

Banned
theRizzle said:
Congrats Feep!

It would be awesome if you sent an e-mail to T-Mobile Germany saying thank you. :D
I tried for fourteen seconds to figure out what this could possibly mean. No success.

And yeah, I wrote the script. : )

Feep said:
You can use other controllers with a quick MotionKey/Joy2Key setup, but it's not natively unless it mimics a 360 driver, unfortunately. We might add some more support in the future.

I will note that the key bindings are completely customizable...check the Settings screen. = D Also, an eleventh hour feature I added three days ago, you can left/right click the mouse to change fields.

Thanks for the advice. I did see the settings pane but I still can't find it comfortable. I'll have a look at the MotionJoy options instead :)

Also, congratulations!

yarden24

Feep said:
I tried for fourteen seconds to figure out what this could possibly mean. No success.

if I may give some feedback here, I think the whole wager xp for synthing is silly, the purpose of risk reward is to get people invested, they know there is a lot at stake so they try thier hardest.
but when its just based on some random number, there is no player input, a failure is just frustrating because there is nothing that could have been done to prevent it.
I would have removed that system all together, or make it so there is a mini game of sorts.

Crazetex

bobs99 ... said:
How long do Damage over time spells like Fallout last? Which do people prefer, Siphon spells or Damage over time spells?

I use both. On the third floor, my spellset is Maelstrom, Dusk Till Dawn (or whatever it's called), Trigger Boost 1 and Fallout.

Playing in windowed has made hit detection much better, so thanks to whoever suggested that.

Zomba13

Feep said:

A bunch of people who did the T-mobile thing to get loads of XBLA points codes spent some of them on buying Sequence on the 360 (I did). I think that's what he means.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Feep said:

T-Mobile Germany was giving out free MS points. The promotion got abused, many people here got 10,000 MS points or around there. A lot of people in the thread were suggesting they'd use some of their free points to buy Sequence on XBI.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
bobs99 ... said:
How long do Damage over time spells like Fallout last? Which do people prefer, Siphon spells or Damage over time spells?
I really like Damage Over Time spells - not sure about Fallout specifically, but Miasma (the next step up) lasts ~30 seconds and hits about 12 times I've found. Trigger Boost + Miasma = too good.

IMO Siphon spells are good in a pinch if your HP is getting low or you need one last attack to finish off the enemy and your Direct Damage spells are in cooldown, but otherwise I don't really cast 'em much since their MP cost is pretty high. There are much more efficient healing spells or damage spells, so I find their usage pretty specific.

Gaspode_T

Feep said:
Earlier this year, Zeboyd Games made the remarkable claim that they had exceeded their Xbox Live Indie Games lifetime revenue in only six days on Steam. A remarkable feat.

Jesus.

Thank you, everyone.

I'm so happy for your success! I hope Windows 8 will be waiting for you to make the big moneys as well LOL

Valve needs to officially give Steam a slogan: "Steam - the home of adult gamers that buy good games!"

Gravijah

there's no way to change visual settings, right? magic kills my framerate and even though the game seems to be running at 30 fps the notes don't seem quite right.

the highest difficulty is quite fun so far, though.

Gaspode_T said:
Valve needs to officially give Steam a slogan: "Steam - the home of adult gamers that buy good games!"
Eh, Steam's Top Sellers usually shows the exact same stuff that sells on Xbox/PS3, sports, murder games, comic book games, etc.

Ryuuga

Banned
Reposting from the free copy thread:

Feep, I just wanted to say this game is amazing and you guys have done great work. I've spent all Thursday and Friday evening on this game and felt bad about getting this free of charge so I gifted it to various steam friends. Best regards to your team for this project and any project onwards.

Haven't read through the thread, but is their any plans for a soundtrack? Need more disorganized fun in my life

Feep

Banned
No current plans for a Mac port at the moment. As for the soundtrack, I do not have the legal right to do so...though I wonder if Mr. djplaeskool and Ronald Jenkees are down for a third third third split...hmmm...

buffi

Banned
Bought the game on steam, played about 3 hours so far (at 5th floor), and it's pretty damn nice!

Was planning to do a bunch of stuff today, but it looks like I'll just be playing this instead.
Feep: Looking forward to your next game.

(Also, the pun in the item description of Polish Remover is great)

Game has been unavailable for me since last night.

I did do the -beta naiaky thing, but I've removed it since. Any way to fix? Should I reinstall?

zon

I can't get it to start all of a sudden. It was working fine yesterday.

I click play and nothing happens. I've tried to uninstall and then install it again but the problem persists.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there a local save file for the game anywhere, or is it pure Steam cloud save? I want to back up my save file in case I accidentally start a new game or something gets corrupted.

Feep

Banned
Man, some of these problems are so weird. How do I go about debugging something like that? It's actually probably on Steam; they were doing some weird stuff this morning with my update. I'd recommend a reboot...

As for the savefile, yeah, it's local as well. steam/userdata/somenumber/200910/remote/steamsave.sav.

Sober

Haven't tried it since the most recent patch, but if the window flickering is still there, I tried putting it to fullscreen and back to windowed and it stopped it. Dunno what to do if your monitor doesn't support that resolution in fullscreen though (mine just stretches it to hell).

Feep

Banned
There's an easy fix for the twitching in windowed mode right now, thanks to fellow indie dev barkerscrest:

Hey everyone,

We found a nice little quick fix for the weird windowed mode twitchy weird stuff.

Navigate to the sequence.exe file in your directory (steam/steamapps/common/sequence). Right click the file, and click Properties, then click the Compatibility Tab. Check the box to Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For Windows XP.

Should make the window solid as a rock!

Looking for permanent fixes this weekend. Thanks!

zon

Feep said:
Man, some of these problems are so weird. How do I go about debugging something like that? It's actually probably on Steam; they were doing some weird stuff this morning with my update. I'd recommend a reboot...

As for the savefile, yeah, it's local as well. steam/userdata/somenumber/200910/remote/steamsave.sav.

Restarting my PC worked. It must've been Steam as you said.

likeGdid

Also want to chime in that this game is amazing and I've been playing far too much of it over the past few days. Still on Floor the Seventh

Very humorous

Also very pleased to find that Trigger Boosts
stack :O
EDIT: looks like I could have found out by looking at the achievements

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So... ran into a weird bug. I just unlocked the achievement "Meant For Each Other" even though I didn't beat the game.

Floor 7 spoilers:

I failed to beat Mir a couple of times (this fight is so hard on Spasmodic, argghhhh) so I decided to go back and grind Floor 7 monsters to level up a bit before tackling him again. After completing a battle with one, I got the achievement.

Feep

Banned
ExMachina said:
So... ran into a weird bug. I just unlocked the achievement "Meant For Each Other" even though I didn't beat the game.

Floor 7 spoilers:

I failed to beat Mir a couple of times (this fight is so hard on Spasmodic, argghhhh) so I decided to go back and grind Floor 7 monsters to level up a bit before tackling him again. After completing a battle with one, I got the achievement.
Just fixed it. Thanks. = D

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What about the game crashing after alt-tabbing? It doesn't happen in the main menu, but when I chose to continue and then alt tabbed, it froze.

Edit:
Ok, a temporary solution is to press escape to get into the menu every time one wants to alt tab.
Edit2:
Um, nope.

Top Bottom