• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bulletstorm. :( Such a great and refreshing shooter.

Shame on EA if they don't discount the game on Steam during the upcoming Thanksgiving sale.

Your avatars are killing me, positively

<3

Anyone who is able to "contact" Croteam and ask them to insert an option for setting the FOV?
A simple command for the .ini/.cfg file involved would be enaugh.

I was about to point you in the direction of their Twitter account, but they haven't even updated it to acknowledge the release of the game, so who knows how close an eye they have on the page.

AEREC

How's performance...the recommended specs are pretty high. Im only running on a Geforce 460 1GB and an i7 and I wouldnt want to play it unless I can at least get a constant 40fps on high?

Coxswain

I just played up through the first six levels of the game. Solo, on Serious difficulty.

This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best FPS campaign of the last 5+ years.

The basic gameplay is the most important part, and they nailed it. It shouldn't be a novelty that, in an FPS game, you click the mouse to fire the weapon, and it goes where you aimed it, but unfortunately we live in a world where it is. Beyond that, though, the movement is appropriately speedy, and the addition of a sprint to the old-school formula is welcome. Reloading was a bit of a question mark, but the way it works is definitely cool - it's not a universal thing, and only affects weapons where it makes sense to, in terms of mechanical game design balance (The Rocket Launcher doesn't need to reload, the double-barreled shotgun works the old fashioned way, etc).
The level design is fantastic; you've got a good mix of big, long, open-arena brawls, tight corridor shootouts, and fights taking place over a big grid network of alleys and buildings, along with tons of secrets to find. The encounter design is just as good - all the old enemies are just as fun to fight here as they were in the original game, and they do a great job of mixing things up so that one simple strategy just won't work. The sixth level in particular is basically a long series of attempts by the game to overwhelm you with mixed waves of enemies. Each 'arena' the fights take place in is different from the next, and each one contains a sort of fight that you've never quite been in before up until that point in the game.
All the weapons are both useful and satisfying: The Sledgehammer is powerful and fun to use, even after you get both Shotguns, either of which could have potentially made it obsolete. The Rocket Launcher can either make short work of the toughest enemies, or mulch an entire group of little guys in one shot, the Mutilator is awesome, and even the C4 is surprisingly useful in places where you can set it up.
On top of all that, the music is great, the game is gorgeous and runs very well relative to how it looks (on top of giving you some Seriously impressive customization in the menus to tweak it the way you want), and the 'story' is actually fairly entertaining - it's deadpan Serious (sorry) almost the entire way through, but Sam is so turned up to 11 and just such a ludicrous character doing ludicrous things that the juxtaposition of him and the gameplay versus all the other characters acting Serious (sorry again) all the time is pretty damn funny - along with the understated absurdities, like Sam just hopping in an old beater of a car with a vanity plate and driving across the desert, to get from one level to the next.

I've got two minor complaints with the game, and other than that, it does just about everything right. First, the pistol is not perfectly accurate. It's got this weird recoil thing where you fire it, where the cursor sways up and to the left, and the bullets don't go exactly where the dot in the middle of your crosshairs is. It's imprecise, and it feels bad, compared with the six-shooters from the original game, especially if you're both moving and trying to hit an enemy who is very far away. Thankfully, it's not really an issue past the first couple of levels - as soon as you get the Machine Gun, the Pistol is no longer your go-to weapon.The second complaint is basically that, while all of the classic Serious Sam enemies are tons of fun to fight, the new enemies are a bit of a mixed bag. The spiders are fine, but the 'zombie' soldiers are bad, and so are the Tentacopters. It basically comes down to: Neither of them should have hitscan weapons, as a major part of what makes Serious Sam work is that an adept player can dodge almost all enemy fire (the only other enemies in the game with hitscan weapons are the Arachnids, which are big, easy targets, and often stationary). And for the helicopter, you shouldn't need Rockets to take it down - it's not an issue in the stage where it's introduced, since it becomes more of an environmental hazard, but the next time one shows up it's definitely more annoying than fun.

Very minor issues, in the grand scheme of things, but still, a few small areas where the game could have done better. Apart from that, though, this is exactly the kind of FPS the genre needs, and this is going right up there on the All-Time Best list.

stuminus3

+1 for "holy fuck this shit is awesome". I'm so happy with how this has turned out. Pure, unadulterated first person fun. It's exactly the kind of old-school high octane gameplay I was looking for. Sorry Duke, this is what you should have been. I particularly like that THIS GAME IS TRYING TO KILL YOU. In any way it can. No ridiculous pop-up shooting gallery targets that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. It's not cheap and not overly difficult, but you gotta bring your A game. Just like the good ol' days.

Special mention has to be made of the fact that Croteam have made an actual PC game here. A hugely scalable engine with a head-spinning variety of options. A freely available console filled to the brim with extra commands not hidden away behind annoying locked ini files. A UI that's smart enough to know if you're playing with the mouse or the controller (both of which work as they should) and changes the button prompts accordingly. This is gold standard stuff right here. In future whenever someone is bitching about lazy piss-poor consolised ports, I'm simply going to ask - did you buy Serious Sam 3?

It's a good looking game cranked up, too. The volumetric effects in particular are stunning... dust clouds actually sweep around the chaos like they should, and as some have already mentioned, seeing lights and shadows cast through the dust clouds like that? Stunning. All on a fraction of the budget People Can Fly had for Bulletstorm, I'm sure.

It's telling that I own just about every other major release this fall but I'm sitting here itching to get back to SS3. I tried playing Rage for about 20 minutes or so last night and it was nice and all but all I wanted to do was get back to Sam. Glorious.

Oh, and there's an amusing disconnect between Sam's voice and Sam's modern character model in the cinematics. I'm quite sure Croteam were well aware of that...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Phenom X6 @ 3.2 and GTX 570. Game defaulted to Ultra, runs well at 40-60 fps.

Also secrets = </3

Mupod

Shame on EA if they don't discount the game on Steam during the upcoming Thanksgiving sale.

I think Bulletstorm's 14.99 right now on microsoft's games on demand thing, I saw it in the PC section yesterday when looking up the deal of the week. But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen it discounted on steam. And I've seen the retail copy for 15 bucks as well...although I got it launch day.

How's performance...the recommended specs are pretty high. Im only running on a Geforce 460 1GB and an i7 and I wouldnt want to play it unless I can at least get a constant 40fps on high?

I haven't tried high yet, but the recommended specs are not kidding around regarding Ultra at 1920x1080. I usually hover somewhat above or around 60 and drop down to 40 in some areas with my 580, although I'm always 70+ indoors. Hordes of enemies don't seem to affect the framerate much though. You should be fine with a 460 with some tweaking, I bet.

Sysgen

I've seen 2 posts saying the 1st and 2nd Encounters HD are better looking than this. I'm only on the first stage but there is a light year between the versions. Perhaps these people aren't playing on Ultra? Perhaps later stages aren't as attractive as the first? Can't post comparison pics now but perhaps later.

I think Bulletstorm's 14.99 right now on microsoft's games on demand thing, I saw it in the PC section yesterday when looking up the deal of the week. But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen it discounted on steam. And I've seen the retail copy for 15 bucks as well...although I got it launch day.

BS is $8 on Gamersgate.

JaseC

It has a base price of $20 on the US Steam Store, so if EA decide against putting it on sale I'll probably bite the bullet.

epmode

I've seen 2 posts saying the 1st and 2nd Encounters HD are better looking than this. I'm only on the first stage but there is a light year between the versions. Perhaps these people aren't playing on Ultra? Perhaps later stages aren't as attractive as the first? Can't post comparison pics now but perhaps later.
I figure the textures are sharper in the remakes. I agree that this game looks pretty rad but that's more due to scale and effects than textures.

Good to hear that this game is turning out to be good.

The videos for this game made it look pretty bad to me. The terrible sledgehammer animation, melee combat, and the ugly desert graphics they were showing off really put me off on this game.

Coxswain

I think it's just people remembering it wrong, or talking about something other than technical quality. SSHD does look really awesome, but it's nowhere near as good as SS3 in terms of detail or graphical effects. It might be that people like the cleaner look of the simpler game better than SS3, which admittedly does look a bit cluttered and less stylized. Or it might just be that the remake is more consistent - nothing in it looks particularly better or worse than any other part, whereas in SS3 you sometimes get things that look absolutely gorgeous next to some things that look kinda bad. Like in this (full-size) screenshot, the building in front and the environment on the right look absolutely great, while there are a couple rocks in the pile on the bottom-left that look so bad in comparison that it almost looks like the game is glitching visually:

I've only played through the first two levels so far, and I'm not enjoying the game as much as the 1st/2nd Encounters. I'm not liking the level designs so far, especially the 2nd level where everything is all cramped. I like the introduction of the sprint feature, but I hate that they added reloading. Serious Sam should not have reloading. Also, I'm not pleased with how this game is running so far. I get better performance out of Battlefield than this, and Battlefield looks considerably better. I'll continue to play the game through the end, as I loved the 1st/2nd Encounters, but in general, it's just ok for me right now. Maybe my opinions will change as I get into the later levels of the game.

epmode

I've only played through the first two levels so far, and I'm not enjoying the game as much as the 1st/2nd Encounters. I'm not liking the level designs so far, especially the 2nd level where everything is all cramped.
As far as I can tell, the first and especially second levels are more of a modern FPS parody than a real Serious Sam game. I guess it's not all that effective since it's hard to be sure. But it REALLY seems that way.

In any case, the awesome shit starts around level 3.

I also have no problem with the reloading. It adds an interesting tactical wrinkle. And the stuff that you need to fire RIGHT NOW still works without reloading. Rocket launcher, double-barrel shotgun, etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I figure the textures are sharper in the remakes. I agree that this game looks pretty rad but that's more due to scale and effects than textures.
The textures appear sharper due to the heavy use of tiling. They just take a small, finely detailed texture and repeat it across a large flat surface. It looks detailed up close, but it's very plain and simple. SS3 seems to be focused more on creating "scenes".

Sciz

The first few levels aren't tremendously different from the first few levels of TFE, they just drag on a lot longer this time around.

.nimrod

Man, this was really a bad release date now with the steam autumn sale going on :/

If you haven't already, then you should buy this game.
I'd describe it as a mixture between Doom 1 or 2, a bullet hell shooter and ninja gaiden.

As far as I can tell, the first and especially second levels are more of a modern FPS parody than a real Serious Sam game. I guess it's not all that effective since it's hard to be sure. But it REALLY seems that way.

I also have no problem with the reloading. It adds an interesting tactical wrinkle. And the stuff that you need to fire RIGHT NOW still works without reloading. Rocket launcher, double-barrel shotgun, etc.

Oh, ok, so not all weapons require reloading, then? I haven't gotten all the weapons yet. Ok, good to hear that the awesome shits starts at around level 3. What I hope to see are more open spaces with tons of shit and chaos going on in the later levels.

Sysgen

I've only played through the first two levels so far, and I'm not enjoying the game as much as the 1st/2nd Encounters. I'm not liking the level designs so far, especially the 2nd level where everything is all cramped. I like the introduction of the sprint feature, but I hate that they added reloading. Serious Sam should not have reloading. Also, I'm not pleased with how this game is running so far. I get better performance out of Battlefield than this, and Battlefield looks considerably better. I'll continue to play the game through the end, as I loved the 1st/2nd Encounters, but in general, it's just ok for me right now. Maybe my opinions will change as I get into the later levels of the game.

The 1st and 2nd Encounters had reloading for certain weapons only you couldn't manually reload.

taoofjord

My main worry with this game is that the levels will be incredibly boring and bland. My favorite part of Serious Sam, aside from the frantic combat scenarios, is the silly and fun (and abundant) secret areas. The ones that make no sense but play around with gravity, perspective, etc and just focus on being silly. What I've seen in SS3 makes me think this aspect is gone completely. Replaced with a more serious and gritty attempt at being a parody. And the humor and writing seem pretty awful.

By the way, Mommy's Best Game's Serious Sam Double D did this PERFECTLY.

Anyway, will I be disappointed or are these things still in the game?

derFeef

It's Sam! I will put some screenies in the screenshot thread.
My only gripe so far is that the weapon sounds (pistol and shotty) are weak. But oh boy the hammer is good!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I think it's just people remembering it wrong, or talking about something other than technical quality. SSHD does look really awesome, but it's nowhere near as good as SS3 in terms of detail or graphical effects. It might be that people like the cleaner look of the simpler game better than SS3, which admittedly does look a bit cluttered and less stylized. Or it might just be that the remake is more consistent - nothing in it looks particularly better or worse than any other part, whereas in SS3 you sometimes get things that look absolutely gorgeous next to some things that look kinda bad. Like in this (full-size) screenshot, the building in front and the environment on the right look absolutely great, while there are a couple rocks in the pile on the bottom-left that look so bad in comparison that it almost looks like the game is glitching visually:

I actually prefer the look of the original games over the HD remakes. Mainly because I far prefer the old-school blood splatter, and the simpler graphics feel better to me.

This game is pretty damn good though. I also picked up Bulletstorm off of gamersgate and I appreciate that Serious Sam doesn't treat me like a retard. Though Bulletstorm does treat me like a retard while doing awesome or hilarious things, so it is forgivable.

Really? I never noticed that, but I guess it's probably because like you said, it automatically reloaded for you.

the pistols definately had reloading. i thought you could manually reload them too, though maybe i'm getting confused and i manually reloaded them by firing them until they reloaded (they had infinite ammo).

my download is almost done, though this doesn't go to the top of the pile. Zelda before this. Batman before this if they've patched it by the time i'm done with Zelda.

BobsRevenge

Croteam scrapped a modern warfare type game, so I imagine a lot of the beginning stuff is just reusing those assets.

I mean, iirc. Could be wrong. I'm wrong all the time.

JaseC

Croteam scrapped a modern warfare type game, so I imagine a lot of the beginning stuff is just reusing those assets.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, Croteam couldn't find a publisher for the (multiplatform?) game and Sam 3 wasn't due to begin development until the project was completed. It wouldn't surprise me if they made use of the existing assets.

Croteam. making games with auto detect settings THAT WORK. won't dive into this for a bit, but it runs great. pretty refreshing after Batman and Rage.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Absolutely loving some of the large scale fights, especially the one leading up to the boss fight at the Mosque.

Teknoman

It's a bit too much I think, I have a custom setting with contrast and saturation turned up a bit.

Possibly...now that I look, blood on my gun looks sorta like red paint lol. Then again, bright and colorful serious action is how I usually roll. I'll try turning the saturation back a little and see how that looks.

Tain

god damn.

This game.

Playing on Hard, no quicksaves, fighting the
rocket walker boss
. Early in, I'm sure, but this is so great.

A few years ago a Croatian gaming magazine published the first screens of SS3, together with some screens of the military shooter which was still in development at that time. SS3 screens looked like SS monsters pasted on top of the military shooter backgrounds - weird, but it seems like that was planned from the very beginning.

So let me get this straight, this is more like the first two encounters than SS2, right?

Tain

I don't know anything about SS2, but this has some pretty big departures from the first two encounters.

BobsRevenge

I don't know anything about SS2, but this has some pretty big departures from the first two encounters.

In the grand scheme of Sam, this game is probably closest to the first game, but it definitely is a big departure.

Sciz

Gaddamn. I need to go back to the stats to be certain, but the final level felt like it had at least two thousand monsters in it. On normal.

Time for a serious run!

Miscellaneous thoughts:

-The devastator is just too awesome. Not as mindblowingly amazing as the cannon, but a rapid-fire, nearly hitscan rocket launcher is the next best thing.

-The game has a very distinct feel to it. There's a lot inherited from SS1, but the execution is so different and I'm not precisely certain what makes the difference. Maybe it's just all the dust. It's a lot less liberal with ammo, too.

-One or two of the weapons seem to only exist as secrets.
--Addendum: This game has a crapton of secrets, and I missed 90% of them.

So let me get this straight, this is more like the first two encounters than SS2, right?
Very much so. In a lot of ways it strikes me as being a re-imagining of TFE.

Anyway, will I be disappointed or are these things still in the game?
I can tell you that there's nothing particularly goofy in the main route through the game. But as I mentioned above, I also missed most of the secrets, so there might be some silliness tucked away somewhere. They took their cues from TFE much more so than TSE.

BobsRevenge

In the grand scheme of Sam, this game is probably closest to the first game, but it definitely is a big departure.

SparkTR

Any idea why the shadows suck at a distance? They fade into dots when I'm around 10 metres away even on ultra settings

Sciz

Went back through the first four levels (on serious, which so far hasn't been dramatically different except that I'm not running around with topped off health and armor nearly as much as I'd like) with a specific emphasis on secret hunting. And I'm still missing 25-50% of the things. I think I'm just not sledgehammering enough walls.

SparkTR

First review is in, Game Informer gave it a 7.75. The reviewer was pretty damn critical of the game, a 7.75 seemed generous after reading the review. He was a bit too general with his criticisms but I digress.

One major difference in opinion is the campaign. I loved it, the boss fights were thrilling, the environments were open and the enemies were plentiful, but the reviewer says it's not worth your time and that it's "entirely forgettable". The reviewer also mentions that "the real destination mode is Survival", which was confusing to me since I found it to be kind of tacked on.

derFeef

Damn.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/24/wot-i-think-serious-sam-3-bfe/
So, let’s instead be delighted by Serious Sam 3: it doesn’t get lost in its own joke, it is nothing short of magnificent in its destruction and its technology and it is absolutely, 100% dumb. It is sad, in a way, that it took Serious Sam coming back and doing more or less the same thing, but bigger, louder, crazier, to remind us once again of why we really play first-person shooters, and what wonderful, ridiculous sights and sensation games which are about placing a reticule over things and pressing fire can achieve if only they were honest about their own, gloriously stupid, testosteroneal nature. We don’t seem capable of learning Sam’s lesson for long – but, as before, it’s one you can be damn sure you’ll love hearing. Essential, glorious, braindead, monstrous: Sam as he ever was, and quite frankly we need him more now than ever.

Top Bottom