• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I just want to confirm that the splitscreen is awesome after playing it a bit this past weekend.

derFeef

I am not happy with the "you are getting shot" screen effects as it's way too obscuring. I always think I am close to dying but then I see that I have plenty of health left. Are there any settings for that?

Tain

Just got to the battle where you get the
cannonball launcher
. On Hard with no quicksaves, this fight seems like one hell of a brick wall for me. The Kleer Skeletons seem to literally never end. Might be a while before I can beat this.

Coxswain

Just got to the battle where you get the
cannonball launcher
. On Hard with no quicksaves, this fight seems like one hell of a brick wall for me. The Kleer Skeletons seem to literally never end. Might be a while before I can beat this.

Despite how tempting it is to try to Cannon the fuck out of them all, I think that the best defense against gigantic Kleer stampedes actually tends to be the more common explosives - the C4 is amazing as long as you don't run out of charges, and the Rocket Launcher can actually do a better job at keeping them back than the Minigun, as long as you can funnel them through a (relatively) tight space.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can't believe how low-key this game release was, I couldn't eve find this thread without searching :( I love these impressions though, these guys know how to make pure action games still, apparently.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Plus, did they keep the Hippie setting in this one? The flower explosion is my preferred mode of play.

Sciz

Plus, did they keep the Hippie setting in this one? The flower explosion is my preferred mode of play.

Yep, all of the settings are retained from SSHD. The hippie and kids modes kinda kill the fun of using the sledgehammer, though. Looks odd when the bodies just gib instantly instead of buckling under the weight.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Serious get. Loved First and Second Encounter, and the only reason I hadn't picked up BFE at launch was because I was poor.

So far so good. Only early but it makes shooting stuff feel good, like the old Sams did so well. Nice tongue in cheek humour too, which I remember fondly.

Gotta say though I really dislike the reloads. Seems totally counter intuitive to the kind of game they made. It sort of creates its own metagame and tensions, but on a personal level I don't really like it at all as it doesn't contribute to my play style, only detracts from it with an unnecessary annoyance. I'm also not too hot on the visuals. The engine itself is gorgeous and the game looks good, but the drab colour palette is far less appealing than the vibrant colours of First/Second Encounter. Though I did see a 'Vibrant' option in the colours menu so maybe I'll play with that turned on.

Also, the sledgehammer owns. The end.

Sysgen

Serious get. Loved First and Second Encounter, and the only reason I hadn't picked up BFE at launch was because I was poor.

So far so good. Only early but it makes shooting stuff feel good, like the old Sams did so well. Nice tongue in cheek humour too, which I remember fondly.

Gotta say though I really dislike the reloads. Seems totally counter intuitive to the kind of game they made. It sort of creates its own metagame and tensions, but on a personal level I don't really like it at all as it doesn't contribute to my play style, only detracts from it with an unnecessary annoyance. ....

Yea, re-loading seems more annoying in BFE than the 2 HD games. I'm guessing longer re-loading animations.

Sciz

Gotta say though I really dislike the reloads. Seems totally counter intuitive to the kind of game they made. It sort of creates its own metagame and tensions, but on a personal level I don't really like it at all as it doesn't contribute to my play style, only detracts from it with an unnecessary annoyance.

It never really stops being weird, but after a while you have enough weapons to avoid using the reloading ones in close range engagements where the downtime matters. The pistol and single barreled shotgun become almost entirely irrelevant, as is usual.

I'm also not too hot on the visuals. The engine itself is gorgeous and the game looks good, but the drab colour palette is far less appealing than the vibrant colours of First/Second Encounter. Though I did see a 'Vibrant' option in the colours menu so maybe I'll play with that turned on.

Cranking the saturation all the way up is the only way to roll in any Serious Engine 3 game.

Sciz

Patch notes:

Serious Sam 3 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
- Added Show Hints option in Game Options menu.
- Fixed reload animation sometimes being stuck when playing in 3rd person.
- Enemies that somehow manage to fall into void are now killed automatically, so fight scripting doesn't get stuck. (This is a general safety fix for all levels.)
- Added safeties to make sure Biomech boss on Broken Wings always starts, even if not all enemies are killed before.
- Zooming on weapons with a scope (Devastator, Sniper) is now disabled while player is sprinting.
- Fixed some rare problems when attempting to change weapons while doing melee or throwing a melee trophy.
- Old School Achievement now shows which levels it is fulfilled for. This is visible in checkbox form in achievements menu.
- Fixed text stretching on targeted player name in split screen mode.
- Fixed FOV cvar not being saved
- Fixed wrong subtitles on Khnum Boss fight in Unearthing The Sun.
- Serious Sam Classic Gold is now much more golden.
- Added Game Time Display and FOV Override to Advanced Options menu.
- Added localizations for some strings that were still untranslated.
- Voting now works during loading.
- Implemented vote to force game start (can be used when there are players which have loaded the current level and at least one is ready if using in-menu warmup).

finally finished Zelda and starting dipping into this. Hard may be too hard for me, but i'm sticking with it for now. i think i've found a balance of settings that i'm happy with visuals vs performance.

but it being sam, you never really know until you start hitting the ridiculously epic battles.

bhlaab

Gotta say though I really dislike the reloads. Seems totally counter intuitive to the kind of game they made. It sort of creates its own metagame and tensions, but on a personal level I don't really like it at all as it doesn't contribute to my play style, only detracts from it with an unnecessary annoyance. I'm also not too hot on the visuals. The engine itself is gorgeous and the game looks good, but the drab colour palette is far less appealing than the vibrant colours of First/Second Encounter. Though I did see a 'Vibrant' option in the colours menu so maybe I'll play with that turned on.

Reloading starts to make a lot more sense when you get more weapons. Adds a new layer of balance between things like the assault rifle and the minigun.

Tain

some cross-forum posting now that I've finished my initial playthrough (hard, no quicksaves):

This game has surprised me so much that I need to slow down and be very careful about what I'm saying. Without a doubt, this game dethrones my two favorite first person shooters this gen (Crysis and Episode 2). It kinda sucks that you occasionally need to roll back a save or two, but the game remembers the last 8 or so auto-saves. It kinda sucks that glorious no-quicksave mode has to be a player-imposed rule, but it's far more sensible to do that now that the checkpoints are overall pretty good. The beginning of the game kinda sucks in that the enemies you fight are super easy and it takes a little bit to get out of the usual corridor-shooting stuff, but all was forgiven after about half an hour. The variety in enemy behavior, the variety in weapon usage, the constantly-changing arenas, the constantly changing visibility, the perfectly rationed ammo and health pickups, and the tension added to the game when you can't quicksave all mash together and make the big fights in this game wonderful.

I mean, part of me just wants to go ahead and say that this is the best Western action game since Doom 2, but 1) those are enormous words, and 2) this might actually be better than Doom 2.

Sciz

There's a quote for the OP if I've ever seen one.

In other news, RPS put up another piece about the game.

RPS said:
You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I’m telling you why

Serious Sam 3: BFE is coming to town
He’s making a list
And killing everything on it three hundred million times
Gonna find out who’s naughty and nice
And then kill them all anyway.

derFeef

C4 is amazing. I tossed it out under a bridge to clear some incoming Kleer out (heh). When I hit the button I had to stop for a second because concrete were flying everywhere, trees shook, gibs flew and everything was in videogame harmony in those few seconds.

Finished my replay of the HD versions of First and Second Encounter and just started this.
I'm currently on
the helicopter boss fight.
Performance isn't as good as I expected. I'm getting over 60 fps with dips to around 50 in corridor levels at ultra settings (but not maxed) using a i5 2500k @ 4,5GHz and 580 OC'd to 945 MHz.

eXistor

Loving the game so far, but I am disappointed that is Egypt all over again and it doesn't help that so far all I'm seeing is modern day Cairo, which look like any random generic shooter available. Also the Melee function is broken. Is so stupid that you teleport instantly to an enemy 5 meters away to do an insta-kill melee attack. The sledgehammer however is awesome and the rest of the game is good 'ol SS like I'm used to.

so does anyone else spend half the time trying to climb on top of buildings you aren't supposed to and get outside of levels or is that just me?

Sysgen

so does anyone else spend half the time trying to climb on top of buildings you aren't supposed to and get outside of levels or is that just me?

No, it's not just you. I believe I did that on level 3 and it worked though it turned out to be a secret area. Further, a few of the secrets I've found on rooftops so it pays to be exploration minded.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Posted these in the screenshot thread, but Sam is damn pretty when he wants to be.

sam9klxm.jpg

sam2t3z5l.jpg

I also love the floors.

floor7lojp.jpg

Sysgen

Well I finished it. About 30 hours for me including looking for secrets. Liked it overall but didn't care for the end boss. Looking back though even though the HD games were more repetitive I think I liked them a bit more, probably due to the diverse levels than anything else. Additionally I felt there were too many instances in 3BFE where you could back track to avoid enemies. The HD games as I remember locked you into rooms and vast courtyards making the game I believe far more difficult.

The game also didn't award me an achievement for completing the single player portion.

jayTOH

Just co-op'd the level with sphinx with my buddy on normal with 10 lives, friendly fire, and no health, armor, or ammo stays. We totally got BEASTED on, hahaha. Anyone have specific rules that they absolutely have to have on during co-op?

I mean, part of me just wants to go ahead and say that this is the best Western action game since Doom 2

Can you elaborate on that? I guess you mean "pure" action game, without adventure or roleplaying elements in their design. Since that would include games like, say, HL, System Shock 2 and NOLF.

Sciz

Big honkin' bugfix patch:

Serious Sam 3 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
- Added Santa Sam and Santa Sammy models.
- Split screen game was erroneously requiring user to be online. Fixed.
- Split screen users (other than the first one) couldn't configure gamepad settings. Fixed.

- Set up dpad icons for star shaped weapon list.
- FOV slider now shows its value.
- Moved FOV menu slider to graphics options.
- Changed FOV lower bound from 75 to 60 degrees.
- FOV override now works in versus games.
- Fixed "pause" text being visible on client when game starts.
- Fixed single player loading screen sometimes being shown instead of multiplayer one when loading in multiplayer.
- Fixed an issue which prevented showing of message when a secret is found.
- Added safety to fix cases when achievements are sometimes not registered by Steam (probably if connection fails temporarily while playing). They will be stored internally and re-awarded later.
- Changed sort order of achievements in achievement menu (so related achievements are listed together). Also, unlocked achievements come before the still locked ones.
- It is now synchronized whether server is still loading so it is not allowed for (vote) force game start during that time.
- If server was still loading and one of the clients finished loading, that client would start the game although server was not ready. Fixed by switching status to "Waiting for players to load" if server is loading.
- Added safeguard against loading screen exiting before game is fully synchronized to the client.
- Fixed falling through floor if crouching while jumping on extremely low frame rates.
- Fixed player's corpse respawning at chapter after being eaten by sandwhale in Team Survival mode.
- Made player details menu title use a font which is not in uppercase, so player's name is shown in its original form.
- Fixed aux buttons in loading screen sometimes not working during multiplayer loading.
- Fixed looping fire animation remaining on player's third person model even after weapon runs out of ammo and is replaced.
- Fixed problem with player exiting the loading screen if trying to initiate a vote while another vote is already in progress.
- Reduced number of current render-target changes when rendering shadow's cascade or faces.
- Optimized collection of depth prepass, fast-lights and shadows commands.
- Fixed double creation of ingame menu when invoked via F10 from loading screen.
- Loading screen now uses a checkbox character for readyness toggle button text (should be more intuitive than "set ready"/"set not ready" texts).
- Fixed some string formatting error in Chinese locale table.
- Disabled ingame menu invocation from the loading screen if the menu button is not visible.
- Adjusted image frame in session info menu according to its image aspect ratio.
- Fixed an issue which would cause scaffolding pole to sometimes remain locked in player's hand if it is used in combination with melees.
- Fixed preview menu popup that happens when closing multichoice or string input menu.
- Fixed menu transparency issues visible in low framerate.

Tain

Can you elaborate on that? I guess you mean "pure" action game, without adventure or roleplaying elements in their design. Since that would include games like, say, HL, System Shock 2 and NOLF.

Half-Life, System Shock 2, and NOLF are all more action games than they are anything else, and while it's very close in the case of Half-Life and Shock 2 (I like NOLF, but not quite as much), I think I put the original Doom games and Serious Sam 3 above them.

It's been a couple years since I've played HL1. It's a tough call.

Riposte

some cross-forum posting now that I've finished my initial playthrough (hard, no quicksaves):

This game has surprised me so much that I need to slow down and be very careful about what I'm saying. Without a doubt, this game dethrones my two favorite first person shooters this gen (Crysis and Episode 2). It kinda sucks that you occasionally need to roll back a save or two, but the game remembers the last 8 or so auto-saves. It kinda sucks that glorious no-quicksave mode has to be a player-imposed rule, but it's far more sensible to do that now that the checkpoints are overall pretty good. The beginning of the game kinda sucks in that the enemies you fight are super easy and it takes a little bit to get out of the usual corridor-shooting stuff, but all was forgiven after about half an hour. The variety in enemy behavior, the variety in weapon usage, the constantly-changing arenas, the constantly changing visibility, the perfectly rationed ammo and health pickups, and the tension added to the game when you can't quicksave all mash together and make the big fights in this game wonderful.

I mean, part of me just wants to go ahead and say that this is the best Western action game since Doom 2, but 1) those are enormous words, and 2) this might actually be better than Doom 2.

Damn, son. My hype is at an all time high now.

lol. I was obviously exaggerating.
And 90's go up until 99 (Shenmue) ;)

It goes up to 2000.

Nineties is 91-00.
Eighties is 81-90.

(I don't care what wikipedia says btw.)

I hope this game is part of an upcoming holiday sale or something, because it looks and sounds absolutely awesome. If not, I'll gladly buy it anyway.

Tain

Additionally I felt there were too many instances in 3BFE where you could back track to avoid enemies. The HD games as I remember locked you into rooms and vast courtyards making the game I believe far more difficult.

This is a legitimate complaint, I think. You can often run back a bit to grab items and buy yourself some more space. That said, I don't think it's a big one, as the game generally fills you up at the checkpoints (despite the countless deaths, I think I only ever ran back from a checkpoint for health one time in the playthrough), and there are a ton of enemies fast and dangerous enough to keep the battles exciting/tough even when you are kiting them.

Riposte said:
Damn, son. My hype is at an all time high now.

I went back to the originals to make sure the differences are as big as I thought. They definitely are.

Top Bottom