• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Bay area amigos, I have spent all day looking for apartments all over the area. I am moving there next month to work in the north beach area.

Cant find anything that's not close to 1600 plus. Is there a secret to finding the good deals without having to share with others? Ive tried everything suggested in this thread such as looking in Daly City and other spots with no luck. Any tips?

Pay more money? Pretty much the only option outside of way out there.

My landlord has a few studios listed currently: www.wcpm.com

SF Gaf, I need your help.

I moved up here from LA but I'm going back to Florida for a week weeks on Saturday. I drove my car up here but I have no idea where I can put it. I'm currently staying at my girl's apartment in the Mission but it's honestly been a bitch to have to move it around every two hours (Already got a ticket that I'm going to contest).

Does anyone know a decent place I'd be able to find parking that my girlfriend won't have to move every few hours?

EDIT: A weekday meetup would be cool before I leave too :)

Does anyone know a decent place I'd be able to find parking that my girlfriend won't have to move every few hours?
Head further South on Mission and some of the side streets aren't metered South of Cesar Chavez. You can probably find something East of Mission out towards the streets with state names, too. Keep in mind that the limit on parking in one location in SF City limits is 72 hours anywhere regardless of signage, and most places have street cleaning, so check the signs when you park.

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_mmgs4y3clD1rghvewo1_500.jpg

gcubed

finally coming out there may 30th through that weekend for interviews in Menlo Park... staying the weekend because its a long damn flight from the east coast, so if anyone is around (if the giants are in town), I'd be up to meet future local gaffers.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
finally coming out there may 30th through that weekend for interviews in Menlo Park... staying the weekend because its a long damn flight from the east coast, so if anyone is around (if the giants are in town), I'd be up to meet future local gaffers.

I'd be down for something in the south bay (assuming you'll also be staying in Menlo Park, that's kinda south-ish right?).

As for the giants, you're probably out of luck. Not sure when you're getting out here but there is a 7pm game on May 29th & 1pm home game on May 30th (both home games against the A's) and they aren't back in town until June 4th.

gcubed

I'd be down for something in the south bay (assuming you'll also be staying in Menlo Park, that's kinda south-ish right?).

As for the giants, you're probably out of luck. Not sure when you're getting out here but there is a 7pm game on May 29th & 1pm home game on May 30th (both home games against the A's) and they aren't back in town until June 4th.

oh! i land at 1130am on the 30th, i could go for an afternoon game.

I know very little of anything down in that area. Staying in either menlo park, palo alto or redwood city. Haven't gotten that confirmation yet. I have NO idea whats down there.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I know very little of anything down in that area. Staying in either menlo park, palo alto or redwood city. Haven't gotten that confirmation yet. I have NO idea whats down there.

Okay, your best/easiest bet then would probably be after you get settled in just get a day pass for the Northbound CalTrain and take that to the end of the line which is two blocks or so from AT&T Park. There's stations for you to get on in all the cities you listed. You will be booking it for time to catch the 12:45pm game on time, however, if you're just landing at 11:30.

If you'd rather catch the Oakland A's, they've got home games May 31st - June 2nd, all against the White Sox.

As for what's down in the south part here, not too much that I've seen, but I've only been here a few months. I'd offer you a tour of NASA Ames but I can't get you into the cool stuff :/

Easy_G

I'm no longer on the Peninsula (which is where Redwood City, Menlo Park, and Palo Alto are located), but I would recommend Redwood City or Palo Alto if you don't have a car. Like FelixOrion said, Caltrain is your best bet. It gets you right to the Giants' stadium.

Also, if you end up in Redwood City for the weekend you HAVE to go to Gourmet Haus Staudt. It's the friendliest bar (beer garden) you'll find and if you get no takers from Gaf for meeting up, it will be a great place to at the very least get a beer, and most likely meet some cool people.

EDIT: Good luck on the interviews! I'm guessing a tech job? And if so there's definitely an EASY guess for which one in Menlo Park.

gcubed

I'm no longer on the Peninsula (which is where Redwood City, Menlo Park, and Palo Alto are located), but I would recommend Redwood City or Palo Alto if you don't have a car. Like FelixOrion said, Caltrain is your best bet. It gets you right to the Giants' stadium.

Also, if you end up in Redwood City for the weekend you HAVE to go to Gourmet Haus Staudt. It's the friendliest bar (beer garden) you'll find and if you get no takers from Gaf for meeting up, it will be a great place to at the very least get a beer, and most likely meet some cool people.

EDIT: Good luck on the interviews! I'm guessing a tech job? And if so there's definitely an EASY guess for which one in Menlo Park.

Yes and yes to your last question, thanks. Already went through 2 pretty intense hour long phone interviews, now 6 hours in person. Fun. I haven't interviewed in years. I have a few other opportunities in the area if i mess this up (I'm pretty sure I won't), either way I'll be out there this fall.

We have friends in foster city and have been looking in the redwood city area to live, I will most definitely go to that beer garden now. Thanks!

Renting a car so will be good to go

it seems that I may be starting a new job in Burlingame, as of right now I will be commuting from the insufferable valley, till the job would be stable and I can move back to the bay.

does anyone know of any good commuter solutions for a room to stay if the need arises for one or two nights of the week or more?
like a Hostel I think they are called?

Hey, anyone here know where I could find housing in Santa Cruz? I'm looking to pay about $650 a month for a room from May to August.

Toki767

Awesome. Did this with Taiyaki on Friday with my cousin. When'd you run, Friday or Saturday?

I went on Saturday. It was really crowded though and it didn't feel like 5K. I had to do a lot of zig zagging through the crowd since I actually wanted to run the whole way.

I went on Saturday. It was really crowded though and it didn't feel like 5K. I had to do a lot of zig zagging through the crowd since I actually wanted to run the whole way.

Gotcha. Taiyaki & I were supposed to run Saturday but my cousin registered too late and was stuck with Friday. So we both decided to run with her on Friday. It was still crazy-packed but we mostly ended up jogging/walking due to how unsteady the ground could be.

It's going to be busy here in the city on Sunday with both the Bay to Breakers run and the Tour of California bike race going on.

Toki767

Gotcha. Taiyaki & I were supposed to run Saturday but my cousin registered too late and was stuck with Friday. So we both decided to run with her on Friday. It was still crazy-packed but we mostly ended up jogging/walking due to how unsteady the ground could be.

Yeah, I as running on the dirt a lot of times since the people walking would block the entire road.

Let me guess, you stopped at that area after the fences where everyone else just stopped running too lol

More like, came out of the parking lot but they forgot to direct us left to go around the trees and were directing us straight before realizing they had to make us complete the rest of the course since we were still running.

KuGsj.gif

Toki767

More like, came out of the parking lot but they forgot to direct us left to go around the trees and were directing us straight before realizing they had to make us complete the rest of the course since we were still running.

KuGsj.gif

Haha. Yeah. Everyone on Saturday stopped at the parking lot. The workers didn't seem to want to tell people that the course wasn't over yet.

Haha. Yeah. Everyone on Saturday stopped at the parking lot. The workers didn't seem to want to tell people that the course wasn't over yet.

Yep! Ours were at least like: Oh shit! No, go left and then around to keep running! after a group of like 10 of us were stopped in front of them.

I'm a member of LA-gaf, but I've visited the bay a number of times. My last visit took me to Palo Alto (Stanford), San Francisco, and Oakland. I'll be returning next month for my best friend's graduation. It's nice to get out of the sprawling suburbia of LA on occasion and be somewhere that feels like a proper city.

What's the best place to go drinking in the area (preferably close to Palo Alto)? I don't trust my friend to know :p

I'm a member of LA-gaf, but I've visited the bay a number of times. My last visit took me to Palo Alto (Stanford), San Francisco, and Oakland. I'll be returning next month for my best friend's graduation. It's nice to get out of the sprawling suburbia of LA on occasion and be somewhere that feels like a proper city.

What's the best place to go drinking in the area (preferably close to Palo Alto)? I don't trust my friend to know :p

In downtown Palo Alto, Rose & Crown. It's a tiny pub, nothing fancy, but awesome selection of beer: http://www.roseandcrownpa.com

There's a few more tiny pubs like that called Oasis, Dutch Goose, and Alpine Inn. If you're looking for something a little nicer than a pub, then maybe:
- Refuge in San Carlos/Redwood City
- Gourmet Hause Staudt in Redwood City
- Steins Beer Garden in Mountain View

Honarable mention to my friend's family restaraunt: Harry's Hofbrau in Redwood City. It's a bit unassuming and attracts a lot of old people because of the cafeteria style food, haha, but the beer menu there is pretty nuts.

Egnirys

My fiance works in Palo Alto and whenever we go out with the rest of the office and their better halves, we normally hit up the Patio in Palo Alto.

Nice to see others are going to Fanime. I really want to hit up the comic convention this weekend but I need to finish my cosplay for Fanime. If you see an Elizabeth from Persona 3 or an Alicia with armor from Valkyria Chronicles, chances are it's me and feel free to say hi.

My fiance works in Palo Alto and whenever we go out with the rest of the office and their better halves, we normally hit up the Patio in Palo Alto.

Nice to see others are going to Fanime. I really want to hit up the comic convention this weekend but I need to finish my cosplay for Fanime. If you see an Elizabeth from Persona 3 or an Alicia with armor from Valkyria Chronicles, chances are it's me and feel free to say hi.

Cool. I will mostly be wearing Hawkguy t-shirts for kicks. So look out for the following:

Either black or white...

Hawkeye logo

Or the bullseye and/or S.H.I.E.L.D.

Egnirys

This reminds me... I need purple chucks before fanime... I am lacking.

Also, thanks. :)

If you can't find purple chucks in your size or the right shade of purple, buy liquitex paint at Michaels or something and paint a pair of white chucks. The paint is flexible so it won't flake off and it's water proof.

Acid08

Banned

Elizabeth awesome :O

I hope I'll be able to make it this weekend. Working in the morning both days.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
All this cosplay talk reminded me I have an unfinished TF2 Engie cosplay back in the midwest waiting for me to finish :/

If you can't find purple chucks in your size or the right shade of purple, buy liquitex paint at Michaels or something and paint a pair of white chucks. The paint is flexible so it won't flake off and it's water proof.

Thanks for the tip but I think I have an idea...

1_246048_FS.JPG

Electric Purple.

This year is the first time I'll be going to Kublacon. Curious if anyone else will be going? I'm thinking of it as a mini-BGGCon and hopefully I'll be able to play a bunch of board games (and get to participate in prototype plays and design panels if there are any).

The good news is that I will most likely be enjoying myself :)

The bad news is that it's on exactly the same weekend as Fanime :( Boo!

And since I didn't get an early bird pass I really don't want to sit around for 3 hours in line for a ticket lol...

In downtown Palo Alto, Rose & Crown. It's a tiny pub, nothing fancy, but awesome selection of beer: http://www.roseandcrownpa.com

There's a few more tiny pubs like that called Oasis, Dutch Goose, and Alpine Inn. If you're looking for something a little nicer than a pub, then maybe:
- Refuge in San Carlos/Redwood City
- Gourmet Hause Staudt in Redwood City
- Steins Beer Garden in Mountain View

Honarable mention to my friend's family restaraunt: Harry's Hofbrau in Redwood City. It's a bit unassuming and attracts a lot of old people because of the cafeteria style food, haha, but the beer menu there is pretty nuts.

I think my friend had actually mentioned rose and crown before. I should have more faith in him :p thanks for all the suggestions!

Sounds nice. I'll look up more info on it. Cheers! :)

Top Bottom