• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just a quick heads up. If you're in the City and looking for some cheap comics, Whatever Inc out in the Castro is having a half off everything in the store sale, this weekend only!

butzopower

proud of his butz
Just a quick heads up. If you're in the City and looking for some cheap comics, Whatever Inc out in the Castro is having a half off everything in the store sale, this weekend only!

I went there for the first time yesterday on a whim and picked up Promethea 2 and 3 for $20. Hopefully they stay in business.

Rur0ni

Thanks for the info. How is the hispanic population? I will have to check out Dublin.

So one person says they never get allergies and one has to take Zyrtec every day. This is confusing for me. My allergies in Dallas have gotten really bad the last couple of years and speaking to others around here it's been bad for alot of people. One thing I was looking forward to was less of that if I move out there.
I live in San Jose, and most of the people I see are Asian (Viet, Chinese) or Hispanic.

I came from South Georgia over a year ago. I don't miss the humidity or extreme heat, or really icey cold weather. I don't have allergies so I can't really speak on it, but overall it seems to be less shit in the air.

The one thing I do miss is rainy thunderstorms. Haven't had a single one since I've been here. Just a few "light" showers.

I don't mind a little shaking now and then. How are allergies out there?

I have allergies probably 3/4th of the year (Winter is seriously the best time of year for me) and I take Allegra usually when needed in Dublin. It's rare that I ever take them every day as a few sneezes here and there aren't bad but spring is easily hell on earth for me.

I'm thankful that I work in San Francisco so that when my allergies are poop in Dublin, they're quite manageable in the city.

To BoboBrazil, do it. The Bay Area is the best (aside from Hawaii).

My impressions:

1. Culturally, the Bay is one of the most liberal metros in the world. If you're into that, then welcome home!
2. Weather can't be beat. Rarely gets too hot or too cold, never snows, no bullshit winters.
3. Variety of scenery/locales within driving distance is also unparalleled. In a single (long) day, driving from the Eastern Sierra to Santa Cruz via Yosemite, you can see all of the following: desert, mountains, plains, redwood forests, beaches, cities.
4. Tech/nerd culture. In the Bay, nerds are cool.
5. Independent businesses are way more prevalent here than in other areas, especially TX. In fact, that's one of the main things I noticed when I visited Austin: chain stores everywhere. Driving on the freeway, new strip malls everywhere. Hated it. In the Bay, there are certainly plenty of chain stores, but way more independents than anywhere I have ever seen.
6. So much to do, so many events:
Spectator sports (Giants, A's, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors, Sharks, Stanford, Cal)
Participant sports (probably literally every sport is practiced here, the other day I drove by a park and witnessed a full game of cricket... cricket! In the US!! WTF?)
Concerts, raves, clubs... tons
Museums, parks (Golden Gate Park is epic), beaches, aquariums, boat rides, mountain bike trails, race tracks, you name it we probably have it.

There are still plenty of places in the Bay to avoid too. Totally depends on what you are looking for. My wife is from East Oakland... I honestly don't mind visiting, but I wouldn't want to live there. East Oakland deserves its reputation.

There are also some really generic towns out on the 680 and around San Jose... Dublin, Pleasanton, Fremont, Milpitas, etc. Ugh, they're cheaper, but also lack any sort of character. Totally soulless. I couldn't live there.

I really like the following areas in the Bay: SF city, Marin (most places), Palo Alto, Berkeley, Oakland Hills, Santa Cruz.

There are also some really generic towns out on the 680 and around San Jose... Dublin, Pleasanton, Fremont, Milpitas, etc. Ugh, they're cheaper, but also lack any sort of character. Totally soulless. I couldn't live there.

Yup, that's why they are often nicknamed "commuter towns". As large as San Jose is (population over 1million), it's generally a work culture. Good thing about Bay Area is that it's diverse enough for all kinds of lifestyles and within a reasonable distance.

To BoboBrazil, do it. The Bay Area is the best (aside from Hawaii).

My impressions:

1. Culturally, the Bay is one of the most liberal metros in the world. If you're into that, then welcome home!
2. Weather can't be beat. Rarely gets too hot or too cold, never snows, no bullshit winters.
3. Variety of scenery/locales within driving distance is also unparalleled. In a single (long) day, driving from the Eastern Sierra to Santa Cruz via Yosemite, you can see all of the following: desert, mountains, plains, redwood forests, beaches, cities.
4. Tech/nerd culture. In the Bay, nerds are cool.
5. Independent businesses are way more prevalent here than in other areas, especially TX. In fact, that's one of the main things I noticed when I visited Austin: chain stores everywhere. Driving on the freeway, new strip malls everywhere. Hated it. In the Bay, there are certainly plenty of chain stores, but way more independents than anywhere I have ever seen.
6. So much to do, so many events:
Spectator sports (Giants, A's, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors, Sharks, Stanford, Cal)
Participant sports (probably literally every sport is practiced here, the other day I drove by a park and witnessed a full game of cricket... cricket! In the US!! WTF?)
Concerts, raves, clubs... tons
Museums, parks (Golden Gate Park is epic), beaches, aquariums, boat rides, mountain bike trails, race tracks, you name it we probably have it.

There are still plenty of places in the Bay to avoid too. Totally depends on what you are looking for. My wife is from East Oakland... I honestly don't mind visiting, but I wouldn't want to live there. East Oakland deserves its reputation.

I really like the following areas in the Bay: SF city, Marin (most places), Palo Alto, Berkeley, Oakland Hills, Santa Cruz.

Well the fact that I would be living in Pleasanton doesn't make me feel that good lol.

I have allergies probably 3/4th of the year (Winter is seriously the best time of year for me) and I take Allegra usually when needed in Dublin. It's rare that I ever take them every day as a few sneezes here and there aren't bad but spring is easily hell on earth for me.

I'm thankful that I work in San Francisco so that when my allergies are poop in Dublin, they're quite manageable in the city.

One of the reasons I wanted to move is to get away from allergies. They are really bad in Dallas year round. I'm actually leaning towards not going now.

beat

In SF, there are limits on the number of "formula retail" locations any chain can have in the city, or at least in most neighborhoods. I think the cap doesn't apply to downtown or Soma. http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Compromise-reached-on-San-Francisco-s-chain-5870444.php

Well the fact that I would be living in Pleasanton doesn't make me feel that good lol.

One of the reasons I wanted to move is to get away from allergies. They are really bad in Dallas year round. I'm actually leaning towards not going now.

Well the things I'm susceptible to are the typical things: grass, weeds & certain trees but yeah, allergies do suck around that area. Typically, even when I lived in Santa Cruz for college, I got allergies there but cleared up faster due to the sea breeze. Granted, whenever I traveled to San Jose for a bit, they were worse due to the lingering smog (though not as horrid as when in LA).

Gotta pick your battles, but generally I think I usually take meds for probably a month, despite having nearly year-round allergies tbh.

Regardless of where you end up, I'd recommend sublingual allergy drops. They are like allergy shots, but you drop them under your tongue once a day. They need to be formulated by your doctor specifically for you. They work! I had bad allergies my whole life, used to take Claritin/Zyrtec/etc all the time, and the drops just nuked my allergies after about 3 months of taking them.

Well the things I'm susceptible to are the typical things: grass, weeds & certain trees but yeah, allergies do suck around that area. Typically, even when I lived in Santa Cruz for college, I got allergies there but cleared up faster due to the sea breeze. Granted, whenever I traveled to San Jose for a bit, they were worse due to the lingering smog (though not as horrid as when in LA).

Gotta pick your battles, but generally I think I usually take meds for probably a month, despite having nearly year-round allergies tbh.

When were you at UCSC? I was there from 94-98 and never left town... just hit my 20 year anniversary.

yayaba

I'd pick Dojo over Santa any day. But then remember the long lines, so neither.

Yep I prefer Dojo as well but Santa's lines are way smaller. Dojo really needs to expand. The place they opened across the place (Ramen Parlor?) isn't great from what I've heard.

This is pretty late notice, but I'll take a shot anyway: anyone interested in tickets to tonight's Sharks game on the cheap? Upper bowl, Sharks shoot twice; digital tickets.

yayaba

It's been great that it's been raining so much lately. I miss fresh powder in Tahoe. The past 3 years have been terrible.

yayaba

It hasn't been snowing up there yet though. Weather says it's like 50-60F still during the day and when it rains down to 40.

Prob gonna take until Dec/Jan. Hope it rains more.

map_web.jpg

rent for your average 1 bedroom apartment apparently.

it hasnt gotten that expensive here in Concord has it..?

I mean I pay $1400 for a 2 bedroom with two yards and a garage.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I feel like most of the images/charts I see about 1BR rents are usually showing average renting price overall (1BR+). Renting a 1BR is still ridiculously expensive though, even if not that high.

Sadly the only magic that rain does in the Bay is "magically" turning everyone into a dangerous ultra-fucking-shitty driver.

The rain probably added an extra hour for my commute to work this morning.

Yeah. Today I went in to work a bit late but on my commute it was pouring badly. Basically everything was overcast grey and there was so much water spray you couldn't see the car in front of you. And yet still there are morons driving in this kind of weather without their lights on.

Worse still, some asshole was borderline tailgaiting me as I drove a reasonable (for the weather) 65 mph in the carpool lane. Then when there was sudden braking the idiot swings out into the shoulder to avoid hitting me.

-_-

Esiquio

North Bay reporting in. Yo, this rain has not let up! I've been hearing thunder and wind gusts all night. It made my bath tonight that much more pleasant.

This weather is crazy compared to the previous 8 months.

Fjordson

God plenty of rain in Morgan Hill today at work.

Calmed down a bit once I got home (though I'm closer to downtown San Jose now).

Haven't heard any thunder or seen any lightning in the East Bay out in Dublin. Did I just miss it or something? I was at the Sharks game until around 10.

Yeah. Today I went in to work a bit late but on my commute it was pouring badly.

A couple weeks ago I (foolishly) told a friend I'd pick him up from the Oakland airport for a 6 PM flight. For something that's a 35 minute drive on an empty 880, I left at 4:45 and as I was heading out to my car I was like "man, in 75 minutes I shouldn't have ANY trouble getting there on time... unless it's raining, lulz."

I wound up getting there at 7:30 and not making it back down until almost nine.

Rainy

Banned
Gonna rain wednesday, 50% chance thursday, 90% chance friday...then a chance again monday, then again next thursday, it keeps coming! (and i love it).

beat

Just saw a flash of lightning and then heard the thunder not more than a second later.

I'm up this late because I was dealing with some rain related leakiness in my apparently poorly maintained place.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just saw a flash of lightning and then heard the thunder not more than a second later.

I'm up this late because I was dealing with some rain related leakiness in my apparently poorly maintained place.
My Facebook feed is full of these stories right now. A lot of poorly maintained homes in the bay area. Not on any of your pars I mean, most of these people I know are renting.

beat

My Facebook feed is full of these stories right now. A lot of poorly maintained homes in the bay area. Not on any of your pars I mean, most of these people I know are renting.

I'm renting too. Some drainpipe above the garage* got clogged and so the little fire escape thing (?) overflowed and leaked into the garage. Not cool.

* we in the house all use the garage only for storage

Also, today just walking 15 min to work soaked my jeans well past my knees. I already had a rain jacket and umbrella, too.

Top Bottom