• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
From the facebook feed...

Avoid 280s where it connects with 101s. Water is flooded over the center divide!

10172804_101016413109onjy1.jpg

really glad i took the day off now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The other is that Californians drive like fucking assholes so even if you personally are a totally reasonable and self-assured driver some other moron is going to do something stupid nearby while you're on the road, driven by Rain Madness.

Is that a rain thing? I've lived in NY, NJ, LA, SF, and AZ and the only thing that bugs me about driving up here is the merges are sometimes not well done (way too short). Drivers seem OK though. NJ on the other hand. Man. It's no wonder that state has the highest insurance rates in the country. People are completely insane.

I did have a friend who lived in Portland though and he said the same thing you guys are saying. But if you've previously lived in true-asshole places, CA is perfectly reasonable. It's all relative. :) (I do think Norcal drivers are better than Socal though. LA design just lends itself to road rage.)

From the facebook feed...

10172804_101016413109onjy1.jpg

really glad i took the day off now.

ugh fuck that. Safe travels to everyone

idk if anyone is fans of Asian Man Records (long running bay area record label) but Mike Park posted this today (he runs it out of his garage)

xkwKwa3.jpg

Sunny California!! I've been digging trenches for the last 2 hrs, but no luck. The flooding is happening. WHO wants damaged records? 1/2 off. Love, MIKE PARK

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've got two tickets to the Ryan Hemsworth show tonight at The Independent. His set most likely won't start till about 11pm (3 openers, no idea who they are), but he puts on a hell of a show.

I can't make it, but will call the box office to switch the will call name to yours if you're interested.

I'm only asking for face value ($40 total) if you're interested. We can figure out a payment option later.

LEMME KNOW ASAP! this show is sold out yo so let me know soon. I'll put them on craigslist in the next hour or so.

Why did they do it that way? Is it a lot cheaper?

Apparently it's significantly more durable under wear than the pure concrete, shrug.

But if you've previously lived in true-asshole places, CA is perfectly reasonable.

See, I came here from Massachusetts, so I figured I'd be ready for anything, and yet...

I think a lot of the problem comes down to what my wife describes as the Reality TV Problem -- everyone on California roads is sitting there, grimacing, white-knuckling and muttering "I'm not here to make friends!" I was visiting PDX a couple weeks ago, driving on a highway, I signaled that I wanted to change lanes -- it was so surprising to me that the person in the next lane actually slowed down to let me in instead of immediately gunning the engine to pull in directly parallel to my car that for a moment I didn't even believe it.

I've got two tickets to the Ryan Hemsworth show tonight at The Independent. His set most likely won't start till about 11pm (3 openers, no idea who they are), but he puts on a hell of a show.

I can't make it, but will call the box office to switch the will call name to yours if you're interested.

I'm only asking for face value ($40 total) if you're interested. We can figure out a payment option later.

LEMME KNOW ASAP! this show is sold out yo so let me know soon. I'll put them on craigslist in the next hour or so.
Man, any other night. I was at Banks last night

v1lla21

It was a good storm, nothing too bad except for that roof falling at a store. No floods where I live here in the northern part of San Jose. Only Thursday night did it rain pretty hard. Time to go to pieology!!

Rainy

Banned
Just saw on the Channel 5 News.

Compared to normal December rainfall totals:

San Jose is 729%
SF is 428%
Oakland is 455%

If no more rain comes this month it would still be the wettest month in 9 years.

Nesotenso

ok Bay area GAF, need your help. I am on vacation here for the next two weeks and was hoping you guys could help me plan my visit here. I am staying with my sister in Emeryville. I was hoping to plan my schedule so that I could see attractions which are close in proximity to each other. Like for example if we I am going to Golden State Park, I would visit the Academy of Sciences, the tea garden etc. on the same day.

so which areas I should visit and which ones will be possible to hit up in one day?
also how do I go about planning a tour to alcatraz? any tips about the best times for that?

also was planning to take the BART from Ashby or Oakland and then disembarking at Embarcadero? How much walking am in for? or are there transfer privileges so that I can use the buses?

I've heard their shows are fun, and it certainly was, but what else do they usually do? Funny you were there as well.
they usually have all their friends out dancing in sumo suits, astronaut costumes, morph suits, etc. In addition to throwing out dozens of blow up dolls into the crowd and potentially crowd surfing in inflatable rafts

I actually met multiple people I knew there last night, pretty funny considering I had no idea who else was going and I only got my tickets on sunday. If you saw a guy and girl together who both had red beanies on then you saw me but there were a lot of people there

AcridMeat

Banned
Wowww that sounds amazing, if I wasn't going to Sea of Dreams for NYE I'd go back to see what they do. I heard it's an open bar there that night too.

Ha, maybe we did but I don't remember.

Wowww that sounds amazing, if I wasn't going to Sea of Dreams for NYE I'd go back to see what they do. I heard it's an open bar there that night too.

Try to seem them at a festival for it sometime. I don't know what they'll do on NYE but I'd still expect they'd need a bigger stage

Also let me know how Sea of Dreams is, I went last year and it was pretty fun but I'm doing the house parties/bars thing this year

Anyone going to check out Breakfast of Champions? My friends and I are going to sleep in until 2am and have an early morning houseparty so we can be in peak condition for people watching.

Ah I wanted to go to Sea Of Dreams for tonight's show with Glitch Mob, ended up making different plans. For tomorrow's show, I wasn't interested in any of the DJs anyway.

AcridMeat

Banned
A couple trees came down right on my exit, huge traffic trying to use the next couple of exits. D:
Try to seem them at a festival for it sometime. I don't know what they'll do on NYE but I'd still expect they'd need a bigger stage

Also let me know how Sea of Dreams is, I went last year and it was pretty fun but I'm doing the house parties/bars thing this year
Ha yes I remember you saying you were since I was there last year too. Will do man! I kind of wish I was doing the bars/parties thing this year but my friend bought tickets like 3 months ago.
Ah I wanted to go to Sea Of Dreams for tonight's show with Glitch Mob, ended up making different plans. For tomorrow's show, I wasn't interested in any of the DJs anyway.
Flying Lotus is why I'm going this year, Beats Antique and Pretty Lights are pretty good too.

That said, I found out Flying Lotus' set is at 2am, gonna be a late night haha.

gcubed

Anyone ever been to a concert at City National Civic? Wife bought me tickets for the Cake show tonight, it seems like a semi small theater, going to venture into wild and crazy San Jose tonight

Anyone ever been to a concert at City National Civic? Wife bought me tickets for the Cake show tonight, it seems like a semi small theater, going to venture into wild and crazy San Jose tonight

It's rather nice, good acoustics. Parking can be problematic especially if other events are taking place near by, which will definitely be the case tonight.

If you want a good place for some food over there you should check out The Farmers Union. It's a few blocks away but its damn good eats.

gcubed

It's rather nice, good acoustics. Parking can be problematic especially if other events are taking place near by, which will definitely be the case tonight.

If you want a good place for some food over there you should check out The Farmers Union. It's a few blocks away but its damn good eats.

Thanks for the heads up on the parking, I'll head down a bit earlier then. Unfortunately I'll be eating at home since we have a babysitter coming but that place looks great, I'll have to put it on my list. I work over by the stadium so could always use a new place to go.

So it turns out that if SF gets picked for Olympic Bid that the Raiders may very well get a new stadium out of it. Interesting turn of events.....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yup, been keeping a close eye on it since Summer. At least mortgage interest rates are pretty low right now.

Yep that's a big one and the only reason I'm contemplating maybe pulling the trigger in the next few months (of course it's also helping to prop up prices, but supply-demand is so out of wack I don't think it's that big a deal as compared to say Arizona or something).

yayaba

Feel bad for the people house hunting but at the same time I'm glad I bought in late 2012 before everything blew up again. My little townhome has already gone up ~25% since I bought it already.

It doesn't mean much personally since I don't plan on selling anytime or if ever but at least it's comforting to know I'm not underwater. Deducting the mortgage interest + property tax was rather nice on my tax return though.

Top Bottom