• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Blearth

Banned
I'm driving up to Tahoe late Thursday night. It's supposed to start snowing around then.

I've never driven in snowy conditions. Do I need chains or anything like that?

I'm driving up to Tahoe late Thursday night. It's supposed to start snowing around then.

I've never driven in snowy conditions. Do I need chains or anything like that?

Yes you most likely will need them even if you have 4 wheel drive. Best to do it so you don't get fined or anything. You should give (800) 427-Road a call before heading out and keep an eye out for the chain install areas. And most of all be careful! I can't stress that enough.

You can rent chains from places around town, but if you plan on going a lot just buy them. I'm planning on making the trek up there in a few weeks to finally see some snow. And I'm super looking forward to it.

Buy the chains BEFORE you get anywhere near there. Chain install checkpoints will charge you $50+

You should be able to get chains locally for $15-30 depending on size. They are super easy to install yourself, but if you don't know how then expect another $10-20 for the guys to install them at the checkpoints.

Traffic will suck, but worth it.

yayaba

You're brave. There's numerous winter storm warnings over the Sierra's. Shit is looking rough.

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Sustained winds at or near hurricane strength in the highest elevations with gusts exceeding 100 miles per hour across the Sierra summit are forecast for Thursday, with Bay Area winds easily gusting past 50 miles per hour in urban areas and 70-80 miles per hour in the local mountains and hills in what could be the storm of the decade.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...recast-for-what-could-be-storm-of-the-decade/

olympia

Yeah I said fuck it. I don't wanna die

Good call. A couple of my friends have rolled their cars on the way to or from Tahoe. Definitely seen EMS on 50 a few times during the winter.

This is pretty late notice, but I'll take a shot anyway: anyone interested in tickets to tonight's Sharks game on the cheap? Upper bowl, Sharks shoot twice; digital tickets.

Why don't I check this thread more ;_;

Anyone going to the Capcom Cup at the Warfield this Saturday? Looking forward to seeing the SF5 stuff as well as the championships of course.

Hope everyone stays safe tonight and tomorrow!

Pretty sure the odds of rain start to pick up after 7PM tonight.

Tbh, I'm actually pretty worried about this storm >>....

probably cause it's the first time I'll be commuting in a storm like this. Hopefully all goes well with everyone!

Key? If you don't think you're going to make it, don't chance it. [notes to self]

probably cause it's the first time I'll be commuting in a storm like this. Hopefully all goes well with everyone!

Key? If you don't think you're going to make it, don't chance it. [notes to self]

It would be a good idea not to commute. At the very least, go into work late, around 10AM. I'm originally from a city notorious for getting torrential downpours, hurricanes, and high wind conditions during storms. I think the strongest winds I've been in were around 120mph. So while I'm not particularly worried about this "measly" 30-40 mph wind storm, I'm also not stupid. I won't be driving.

Fjordson

Wondering how bad the storm will be down here in San Jose/Morgan Hill.

Either way, I'm coincidentally off work Friday so that's good.

It would be a good idea not to commute. At the very least, go into work late, around 10AM. I'm originally from a city notorious for getting torrential downpours, hurricanes, and high wind conditions during storms. I think the strongest winds I've been in were around 120mph. So while I'm not particularly worried about this "measly" 30-40 mph wind storm, I'm also not stupid. I won't be driving.

Yah, thankfully my job is one where I can commute from home if need be so I'm lucky.

Windy here in South Bay (Campbell). Not much rain yet. Two of my managers who live in Santa Cruz and San Jose are working from home tomorrow due to the incoming storm. My cousin in San Jose got an automated call from the school district saying school was still in session tomorrow as they closely monitor the weather situation.

It's on the way:

vJ7BZMt.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There's a separate storm thread in OT for those unaware.

Main front of the storm supposedly will reach the south bay around 10 AM.

simplayer

If you're not comfortable with it, definitely don't drive, but I cant help but feel all of this concern is due to weather network syndrome

Man it's pouring tigers and wolves. I don't trust MUNI to get me to work through this lol. And uber is at like 5x ;~;

My commute to work together was surprisingly average? Like the usual on a normal busy day just with half the number of riders.

Traffic wasn't that bad either with half of the street lights out leaving every intersection to basically be like a four way stop sign.

My commute to work together was surprisingly average? Like the usual on a normal busy day just with half the number of riders.

Traffic wasn't that bad either with half of the street lights out leaving every intersection to basically be like a four way stop sign.

Keep in mind, a lot of schools are out and some businesses too. A lot of people are like me and WFH too...

Fjordson

Was nasty at my house (Almaden area, San Jose). Super windy with rain.

But my commute was surprisingly clear coming to Morgan Hill on 101. Ain't shit going on down here other than some wind. And it looks some people are staying at home or got the day off because the freeway was half empty.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
MAAAAAAAAAAAAN, i picked a hell of a day to take some PTO. :) spending the day inside drinking coffee and watching movies.

I just saw that there's finally an arcade bar in SF, which apparently opened this week. Maybe we should have a meet up over there? After the storm I mean. (It's called Brewcade)

I've got a birthday party to go to on the 20th at that place. Excited to play a legit Smash TV cabinet.

Around Cupertino area, and thoroughly disappointed by the storm. Yard men came by my house on Monday and raked a huge pile of leaves from my yard and left it by the curb. So yesterday afternoon I was thinking to myself "I wonder if I should bag up those leaves or get them out of the street. But I saw that some of my neighbors also had piles of leaves on the street, so I decided to leave it. Wake up this morning, pile of leaves is still fully in tact.

Apparently the North Bay got hit harder though. On the bus to work I could hear some radio chatter that both sides of 280 were flooded in some places.

If you're not comfortable with it, definitely don't drive, but I cant help but feel all of this concern is due to weather network syndrome

Well, there are two problems in California that exacerbate the issues with driving when it's raining.

One is that the highways simply aren't built for rain. IIRC, a lot of them use concrete with an non-porous asphalt top layer. That means water has to sheet off the top and so it takes much less rainfall to make the highway slippery than people from the East Coast or Pacific Northwest would be used to.

The other is that Californians drive like fucking assholes so even if you personally are a totally reasonable and self-assured driver some other moron is going to do something stupid nearby while you're on the road, driven by Rain Madness.

Blearth

Banned
I was shocked when I was up in the PNW and everyone seemed fine going the speed limit.

They used their signals when changing lanes too!

I'd never seen anything like it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was shocked when I was up in the PNW and everyone seemed fine going the speed limit.

They used their signals when changing lanes too!

I'd never seen anything like it.
That sounds magical. I want to experience that just once.

Over here just a couple minutes of driving and I'll notice people swerving multiple lanes over without a blinker to get to an on ramp. Or see someone trying to turn into cars coming from an off ramp going the wrong way.

beat

One is that the highways simply aren't built for rain. IIRC, a lot of them use concrete with an non-porous asphalt top layer. That means water has to sheet off the top and so it takes much less rainfall to make the highway slippery than people from the East Coast or Pacific Northwest would be used to.
Why did they do it that way? Is it a lot cheaper?

Top Bottom