• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Inventory is traditionally low around Nov-Dec and prices will be slightly higher because of it. Then there's a spike of inventory right after the 2nd-3rd week of January and prices will be higher or based off the Nov-Dec comps.

What they say is true with all the cash buyers driving up the prices and comps. I've witnessed first hand during an open house where several families are yelling at each other and the agent about putting offers in. Fuck those people :\

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Are you guys enjoying the rain

image.php

stop whatever you're doing!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Traveling to SF to see some friends and am staying near Bush and Van Ness. Anything great in the area that I need to get? Any places to avoid? I will be on my own on Valentine's Day so need some suggestions.

Also where is the best place to buy a transit pass? Thanks guys.

Traveling to SF to see some friends and am staying near Bush and Van Ness. Anything great in the area that I need to get? Any places to avoid? I will be on my own on Valentine's Day so need some suggestions.

Depends, what kind of things are you into?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You can still get a Muni/Bart pass there. It's a small cubicle right at the Entrance/Exit near the BofA/Forever 21. Street Level.

AcridMeat

Banned

Be my valentine ~~~

Don't wander too much in Tenderloin at night alone. Near Bush/Van Ness there's Soda Popinski's which is a pretty neat bar. I heard about another bar right by it called Vertigo that has a dance floor that plays hip hop music, sounded pretty darn cool.

Otherwise explore, there's lots of cool spots around each district.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Be my valentine ~~~

Don't wander too much in Tenderloin at night alone. Near Bush/Van Ness there's Soda Popinski's which is a pretty neat bar. I heard about another bar right by it called Vertigo that has a dance floor that plays hip hop music, sounded pretty darn cool.

Otherwise explore, there's lots of cool spots around each district.
Ok. Just don't tell my wife.

If I just walk through the Tenderloin at night I should be cool right? Just need to be wary.

I'll check those places out as well as try and not get measles.

AcridMeat

Banned
Also check out Tommy's Joynt, should be pretty darn close to where you're staying. They do classic cafeteria style serving with a bunch of different food. Place itself is really neat inside (and out). And yeah the main thing is not to wander too much around there.

Check out bars/food in the Mission too, lots of great stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What do folks think of Campbell? Looking at houses in that area because they're a bit more reasonably prices and still reasonable distance to MV/PA. Like a lot of San Jose seems to have some mildly sketch parts, but a lot of nice parts too (I mean you could say the same for Sunnyvale, Menlo Park, etc.).

What do folks think of Campbell? Looking at houses in that area because they're a bit more reasonably prices and still reasonable distance to MV/PA. Like a lot of San Jose seems to have some mildly sketch parts, but a lot of nice parts too (I mean you could say the same for Sunnyvale, Menlo Park, etc.).

I live in Campbell as a renter, just west of Winchester and a block below Campbell Ave. Downtown is very nice but small, good mix of young and old progressive folk. North of Hamilton, which technically becomes San Jose, can be a little sketchy but its not bad. As you go further up, you hit Santana Row and Valley Fair. West of San Tomas Aquino is where you'll see nicer houses and a higher rated school district according to my friend who is also looking to buy in that area. It's considered an up and coming city, though many of the houses are quite old and very expensive. Lots of parks and convenient access to the Los Gatos Creek Trail, the 17, and San Tomas Expressway. I feel Campbell is central to lots of various areas of the South Bay, such as Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Los Gatos, and Willow Glenn.

I feel that Campbell is the best and the last stronghold of the South Bay. I've been wanting to move there, but a decent house is well into the $800k+ range for a 3/2 1200sq ft house. There are a lot of cool Craftsman houses near the downtown area. The most affordable Eichler homes are towards San Jose City College. It's got a good mix of young to middle age demographic. Lots of the unincorporated areas of Campbell west of San Tomas are a little weird as in no paved driveways, weird street outlets, and strange zoning. But then again there's no other reason for traffic in that area unless you live there. I see quite a lot of demo and reconstruction in those neighborhoods, so a lot of the houses are quite unique there.

Lots of cool record shops, bike, comic, clothes, etc...Mostly cool mom and pop shops. I'd try avoid the areas like Fruitdale/Southwest Expressway.

PartlyCloudlike sums it up well.

It's pretty Stuff White People Like there but it's got nice houses, a very good weekend farmer's market, access to some good outdoor areas, and a 30 minute drive to Santa Cruz. IMO nothing in Campbell or San Jose really rises past the level of "mildly sketchy" so I don't think you can go too wrong on that level.

House of Prime Rib

If I just walk through the Tenderloin at night I should be cool right? Just need to be wary.

It depends on where you are in the Tenderloin and time I think (not terribly versed in that neighborhood). IIRC stuff closer to Turk and Market can be more sketch than others. I walked from Market/4th to Pinecrest Diner (Geary & Mason) in the mornings and didn't notice anything terribly sketch. Then again that was more on the edge, but I took the 38L through Geary and saw some interesting shit in the middle of the day.

Okay, seriously, guys, anyone know what the fuck is up with CalTrain right now?

And to be a lesser extent, El Camino?

It's like an Asteroid is about hit the West Coast and nobody told me.

Okay, a little more lead time this go-round. So:

Anyone interested in 4 tickets to this Thursday's Sharks vs. Detroit Red Wings? Upper bowl, Sharks shoot twice.

Okay, a little more lead time this go-round. So:

Anyone interested in 4 tickets to this Thursday's Sharks vs. Detroit Red Wings? Upper bowl, Sharks shoot twice.

Are you selling or are you offering?

I got to play at Levi's Stadium last night before they start tearing it down. It was pretty surreal. Also hot as fuck and the ice was choppy…made sense why all the Sharks/Kings players were falling all over on Saturday.

alWjVJ7.jpg

Are you selling or are you offering?

I got to play at Levi's Stadium last night before they start tearing it down. It was pretty surreal. Also hot as fuck and the ice was choppy…made sense why all the Sharks/Kings players were falling all over on Saturday.

Selling. Some of my friends from work (including half my sharkpak group) are playing in the beer league game at Levi's at the same time on Thursday night which is why I need to get rid of them. :p

The Levi's game was pretty great (would have been better if they'd won of course) but hoo boy was it a shitshow out on the ice. It's a little sad to watch these incredibly skillful players lurch around like teenagers on the terrible ice.

Jesus Christ, its like game-dev-pocalypse by my work - though I'm only a few blocks from Moscone so I guess thats to be expected. If there are any GDC related meetups going on in the SOMA or in the Haight let me know. Would be good to bump shoulders with other gaffers if I can work it.

Jesus Christ, its like game-dev-pocalypse by my work - though I'm only a few blocks from Moscone so I guess thats to be expected. If there are any GDC related meetups going on in the SOMA or in the Haight let me know. Would be good to bump shoulders with other gaffers if I can work it.

I lived right next to Moscone for a year. The conference crowds could be annoying, but I enjoyed all of the bizarre conferences that show up week after week. Work for me is still just a few blocks over, but sometimes I go out of my way to walk down 3rd and take in the madness for things like GDC and WWDC.

I lived right next to Moscone for a year. The conference crowds could be annoying, but I enjoyed all of the bizarre conferences that show up week after week. Work for me is still just a few blocks over, but sometimes I go out of my way to walk down 3rd and take in the madness for things like GDC and WWDC.

I used to work a block from Moscone, it was funny to see the different crowds.

Dreamforce convention was always a nightmare, everything was super crowded, you couldn't find a bar nearby. GDC was the opposite, you would immediately recognize the game developers trying to show off their nerd cred.

Aahh so many of the startups I want to work for are in SF. Having to commute from South Bay everyday would suck the life out of me, but it would also be hard to leave my current living situation (reasonable rent, cool roommates). Fucking decisions...

MC Safety

I miss the Iron Cactus; Orale, Orale; and the secret burrito place in the Financial district. Also In and Out Burgers.

That's about it for San Francisco.

Oh, and Neeto's for the Gumbo.

Top Bottom