• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

MrGerbils

Is it really that expensive to live in the Bay Area. I have gotten so discouraged from hearing other people say it and say it wouldn't be smart to move there? It's kinda been a dream but right now I'm also not rich

You can expect rent to be over $3,000 for a one bedroom in any neighborhood you'd actually want to live in if you want to actually live in SF.

Southbay is probably about the same price per bedroom but those bedrooms will be bigger and maybe you'll get a small yard or something.

Oakland and surrounding east bay is cheaper, but not by much.

This graphic is more than a year out of date (and rent is rising fast in the bay area, so that puts it way behind), but it gives you an idea of the difference in between the city, east bay and a bit south when it comes to renting one bedroom:

3039164-inline-i-1-the-bay-areas-insane-rent-prices-mapped.png

broz0rs

Is the Tenderloin district of SF really that much of a ghetto? Considering rent is through the roof in SF, how could the Tenderloin even maintain itself as a bad area?

AcridMeat

Banned
Is the Tenderloin district of SF really that much of a ghetto? Considering rent is through the roof in SF, how could the Tenderloin even maintain itself as a bad area?
It is. Granted this story is almost a year old but it's still crazy.

I recall going to a concert at GAMH, parked at a garage further in, and on the way back I noticed fresh blood on the sidewalk with the guy bleeding just standing on the street corner hiding it.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I recall going to a concert at GAMH, parked at a garage further in, and on the way back I noticed fresh blood on the sidewalk with the guy bleeding just standing on the street corner hiding it.

That reminds me when I went to a tech event someone told me to avoid 6th and market. Like apparently that's by far the most dangerous intersection the city even in the daylight. Like he told me his friend was stabbed in broad daylight and people just walked by like it was nothing. So his friend had to call 911 on his own.

That reminds me when I went to a tech event someone told me to avoid 6th and market. Like apparently that's by far the most dangerous intersection the city even in the daylight. Like he told me his friend was stabbed in broad daylight and people just walked by like it was nothing. So his friend had to call 911 on his own.
6th and Mission

Nelo Ice

Banned
6th and Mission
O whoops. So guess I should avoid that like the plague. I'm not very good navigating around the city haha. Also so guess that means The Misson can really be that bad. Friend once told me it can still be pretty bad with gang violence. And this is when we were at the mission at night lol. So I'm sitting there kinda freaking out if I can safely walk back to BART on my own.

O whoops. So guess I should avoid that like the plague. I'm not very good navigating around the city haha. Also so guess that means The Misson can really be that bad. Friend once told me it can still be pretty bad with gang violence. And this is when we were at the mission at night lol. So I'm sitting there kinda freaking out if I can safely walk back to BART on my own.
6th and Mission is in SOMA, The Misison is from like 14th through 26th ish. It can be confusing. 6th and Mission is a sketchy area for sure, but Mezzanine and Monarch, two of the better clubs in the city, are right there. Couple good vietnamese places too

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Super Bowl week is coming. Prepare for the mess. There will supposedly be additional security checkpoints around event spaces as well, which will be annoying to those of us who use the ferry to commute.

https://www.sfmta.com/sb50

Muni changes:

SB50%20Transit%20-%201.14.16.JPG

Road closures

SB50%20Traffic%20Detours%201.8.16.JPG
:

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even want to leave the house on the 7th! Didn't know so many other events were going on in SF, even though the actual game is a few cities down...

broz0rs

I see. Reason why I asked was because chefs Roy Choi and Daniel Patterson recently had a successful opening of a restaurant in Watts that caters towards improverished communities to serve quality food at low prices. They are planning to open one in the Tenderloin.

I was wondering how bad of a place Tenderloin can be considering it's right in the heart of SF.

That question seems like a troll to me, but I'm more taken aback by how most of those answers are just smug as fuck.

Southbay is probably about the same price per bedroom but those bedrooms will be bigger and maybe you'll get a small yard or something.

Not quite anymore, SF really outstripped us in the last year. A one-bedroom in San Jose is gonna run someone something like $2,200 on average.

Super Bowl week is coming. Prepare for the mess.

Man it's that fucked up in the city too? I was just stressing about South Bay traffic that weekend.

M52B28

Banned
Man it's that fucked up in the city too? I was just stressing about South Bay traffic that weekend.
Yeah.

They are going to start the traffic changes on the 23rd. I just showed my brother this and he just had a stroke. He works right near the shut down area. I know the Monday morning after the Superbowl will be fun, unless the cleanup crews do an amazing job.

beat

Rent is sky-high for new renters. For existing renters, most are protected by rent control. (But if you're moving here, confirm that a place is under rent control. Some aren't, such as almost all buildings built after 1979.) Also, the Tenderloin has a lot of homeless people, I think. And shelters, and SROs.

Did anyone see anything good at Sketchfest?

Blunoise

Hey guys how is Oakland now is changing to hip place? I really want to move there or San Francscio. How much am I looking for rent in a 1Br or studio. Thanks!

XiaNaphryz

S.F. street closures begin for Super Bowl City construction:

The first day of what will be a nearly three-week traffic closure in downtown San Francisco began Saturday as crews prepared the area for Super Bowl celebrations, leaving cars to navigate various detours.

The Super Bowl festivities — Super Bowl City and the NFL Experience — mean specific streets downtown will be closed to vehicle traffic until Feb. 12, including Market Street from Beale Street to Steuart Street, the southbound lanes of the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building and one block of Howard Street near Moscone Center.

“This is a hallmark day. A milestone day,” said Keith Bruce, CEO of the Super Bowl 50 Host Committee. “We want this to be an inclusive Super Bowl experience for everyone in the Bay Area.”

Super Bowl City is a free fan village in front of the Ferry Building and Market Street, while the NFL Experience is a ticketed theme park at the Moscone Center. Crews were busy setting up Saturday morning to get ready for the events that begin Jan. 30. Several free concerts are scheduled while a fireworks show is also planned. The village will feature entertainment stages, games, exhibits and broadcast studios.

Detours recommended

Traffic on Mission and Market streets east of First Street, and Steuart, Spear, Main and Beale streets between Howard and Market Streets will also be limited mostly to transit and emergency vehicles. Muni routes will also be impacted.

Drivers are being urged to take specific detours in the area, with those going southbound on the Embarcadero being directed to use Battery and First Streets to cross Market Street, while those intending to continue south on the Embarcadero are forced to turn right at Washington Street to Battery. Officials, however, are urging people to avoid driving in the area and instead rely on public transportation.

Bruce said committee officials had reached out to offices and hotels in the area for months to let them know what was planned and how to get to the area through public transportation.

“They’re ready,” he said.

Those visiting Super Bowl City will go through entrances at Market and Beale streets and along the Embarcadero. Although events will run through Feb. 7, the closures will continue for about five days so crews can disassemble the area.

“Traffic is always a nightmare with all the construction going on,” said Jim Mayock, a San Francisco resident who was walking on Market Street as workers prepared the area. “This is going to make it a lot worse, but hopefully the celebrations will balance the disruptions.”

finalflame

Please don't be that dramatic, I know prices aren't that high??

I think you can find a studio certain places in SF for ~$2300. But for a 1BR you're definitely looking at $3000+ in most areas (except for maybe in the Tenderloin or Sunset).

Oakland I think is a bit exaggerated unless you're looking at like Elmwood/Lake Merrit/other very gentrified neighborhoods. You can find 1BRs in Oakland in livable places for ~1500-2000.

Anyways, I am not looking forward to the clusterfuck Mountain View is gonna be for the Super Bowl.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think you can find a studio certain places in SF for ~$2300. But for a 1BR you're definitely looking at $3000+ in most areas (except for maybe in the Tenderloin or Sunset).

Oakland I think is a bit exaggerated unless you're looking at like Elmwood/Lake Merrit/other very gentrified neighborhoods. You can find 1BRs in Oakland in livable places for ~1500-2000.

Anyways, I am not looking forward to the clusterfuck Mountain View is gonna be for the Super Bowl.

Is there anything going on there or do you just mean the 101? I would obv stay off it on the weekend, but other than that I don't really expect things to be that crazy down here.

broz0rs

It won't be so bad if you take the BART, but driving and trying to find parking in SF for the SB event will be a terrible idea.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It won't be so bad if you take the BART, but driving and trying to find parking in SF for the SB event will be a terrible idea.
Yup plan on taking BART to check it out with friends. I don't really care about football otherwise lol. Also I am so glad I don't have to drive in the city because I imagine it will be a nightmare.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I will be forced to pass by because it's in the middle of my commute.

Taken this morning about 30 min ago on my way in:

sFyOUcz.jpg

Starting so early on! Gotta start getting those sports broadcasters over there soon, I guess.

Some of my friends are worried that something "big" will happen with Superbowl, with so many people and out of towners coming in. Not quite a riot, but I dunno. I think it'll be fine if we all just not leave our homes on that Sunday :/

avoiding the city as much as possible, Superbowl Fest + people shopping for Chinese New Year = Not good ....BART gonna be even more crazy too

If u dont mind living in the hood, for 2k u can rent a 3 bed room whole house in deep East Oakland close to BART, have a few roommate to split the bills ....

beat

Please don't be that dramatic, I know prices aren't that high??

Check sites like Craigslist or Zillow. For the city, Zillow currently has three listings total for 1 bedrooms under $1750; six under $2000.

If you don't have a pressing need to move here, you could consider waiting for the current tech bubble to burst; that might help lower prices a bit. But really, my opinion, the bubble will deflate high-end apartments more than affordable ones. The city as a whole just hasn't added enough housing inventory the last few decades.

finalflame

Is there anything going on there or do you just mean the 101? I would obv stay off it on the weekend, but other than that I don't really expect things to be that crazy down here.

Fair enough, I just expected a lot of spillover from hotels filling up and generally a LOT of people being really nearby in the area. I suspect there will be partygoers in downtown MV too. Just a huge influx of people. Guess we'll see!

If u dont mind living in the hood, for 2k u can rent a 3 bed room whole house in deep East Oakland close to BART, have a few roommate to split the bills ....

If I didn't work in the South Bay I'd 100% live in Oakland. But I have a dog and it's pretty annoying to have pets with roommates, so just prefer to live alone.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I just looked at the Snowpocalypse thread.... yeah dealing with Superbowl for a couple week is definitely better than dealing with dumps of snow and ice. I don't miss shoveling snow and sliding on roads :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fair enough, I just expected a lot of spillover from hotels filling up and generally a LOT of people being really nearby in the area. I suspect there will be partygoers in downtown MV too. Just a huge influx of people. Guess we'll see!

If I didn't work in the South Bay I'd 100% live in Oakland. But I have a dog and it's pretty annoying to have pets with roommates, so just prefer to live alone.

Yeah haha, I guess I'm trying to be optimistic but we'll see how it plays out. Santa Clara will definitely be a huge mess -- heard they couldn't even handle Wrestlemania sooo....

XiaNaphryz

Vista Point off of the Golden Gate to be closed to auto traffic from 1/29 - 2/7 due to Super Bowl week:

The most popular viewing area of the Golden Gate Bridge will be shut down to cars later this week in an attempt by officials to prevent a Super Bowl-related traffic bog down on the majestic span.

The parking lot at Vista Point, on the north end of the bridge in Marin County, will be closed from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. starting Friday and extending to Feb. 7 — the day of the Super Bowl at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara.

With out-of-towners pouring into the Bay Area for the nation’s biggest sporting event of the year, bridge officials fear visitors will overwhelm the parking capacity of the 125-space lot, which is choked with tourists on the best of days.

The southeast Visitor Center parking lot will also be closed for the same period, Golden Gate Bridge District officials said in a statement.

Given the limited number of parking spaces at Vista Point, the lot fills up quickly and tourists looking for parking often circle in search of spaces leading to backups on the exit, which can extend onto the bridge.

Those conditions peaked over the holidays when bridge-goers saw hour-plus backups leading bridge district spokeswoman Priya David Clemens to call the situation “unacceptable.”

And that was without the Super Bowl drawing an additional 1 million people to the Bay Area.

There are still ways to get to Vista Point, officials said, so long as tourists are willing to make use of public transit. Golden Gate Transit Route 2 goes to the lot on weekday afternoons, Route 10 serves the area daily, Route 70 goes there late nights and Route 92 will get you there during weekday peak periods.

A number of “hop-on, hop-off” style tourist buses also serve the north end of the bridge, as well as taxis and ride shares.

t26

Yeah haha, I guess I'm trying to be optimistic but we'll see how it plays out. Santa Clara will definitely be a huge mess -- heard they couldn't even handle Wrestlemania sooo....

Santa Clara could barely handle a regular season game.

broz0rs

I live 4 miles from Levi's Stadium. Everything you read about the traffic during events is true. I also think it's insane that there's a football stadium in the midst of all these high-tech companies that occupies that area.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Were you in the area of the protests?
Yup got off Bart and saw a fuckton of police. Then omw home there was an incident on the train I was on. Got delayed at West Oakland since apparently a little girl punched a guy in the face and made his nose bleed. He came back on the train and was yelling.

All I was expecting to do today was go to coding event but instead I got the above. And I skipped out on seeing Super Bowl City since the line was hilariously long.

XiaNaphryz

Taken 5 min or so ago on my walk to my commute ferry home:

jJEtPhz.jpg

This is probably more because it's still Monday than anything, but there's a lot less foot traffic around the Ferry Building due to the Super Bowl City complex cutting off a bunch of street access. I'm guessing it'll get a lot worse Thurs-Sat.

Top Bottom