• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Crayon

Anyone else sick of these fucking earthquakes? Can you feel them? I'm in San Ramon where they are all coming from. This has been going on for a week now.

Anyone else sick of these fucking earthquakes? Can you feel them? I'm in San Ramon where they are all coming from. This has been going on for a week now.

Was at my Aunt and Uncle's house over the weekend to help my cousin pick out wedding invitations. Felt one of them on Sunday afternoon and though I'm used to feeling them, I can't say I won't miss them once they totally stop.

That said, my cousin's dog didn't even react once during the earthquakes while I could hear dogs barking outside.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I heard about that, but haven't felt any if them roll down south. Crazy how many you guys are getting! Think these small ones will actually loosen the pressure and prevent bigger ones?

Went to San Ramon on Monday to pick something up for work and felt that 3.4ish quake in the car while playing P4D. Looked around to check how safe I was, then resumed playing some more. Can't imagine what it would be like living through it 24/7 though -.-......I'm not really feeling much in the way of any quakes and I'm in Dublin.

I'm surprised to see the San Ramon quake cluster is still producing some little tremblors.

Anyone familiar with the Filmore and what I should expect? I am thinking of picking up a ticket to see Grimes this weekend.

Great venue. It's a little beat up now, but it's one of my favorite places to see a show. There's good public transportation access, but the surrounding area can be a little dodgy at night, so don't wander too much from Fillmore and Geary. Fat Angel is a local bar that's worth a look. I haven't been there in years, but they have good drinks and beer, though it can be a little pricey.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Whatever you do, don't end up at Dimples... If anyone asks you if you want to go or want to grab a drink there, don't. Don't go to dimples.

The sky was crying in the North Bay because I stubbed my toe really bad. I got over it.

I really want a place that sells Pliney The Elder. Know of any?

Santa Rosa is an hour away and my neighbor said his wife got some from the Whole Foods in San Rafael but their supply is always limited. I found another lunch food joint but they wanted to charge me about 8 bucks for a bottle. I can't drink that during my work hours (its like 7-8% too!). Alls I want is a couple for the weekend to share with my friends.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Santa Rosa is an hour away and my neighbor said his wife got some from the Whole Foods in San Rafael but their supply is always limited. I found another lunch food joint but they wanted to charge me about 8 bucks for a bottle. I can't drink that during my work hours (its like 7-8% too!). Alls I want is a couple for the weekend to share with my friends.

Oh for bottles it is always annoying outside of the brewery.

The popularity of that beer has gotten nuts in the past five years.

Oh for bottles it is always annoying outside of the brewery.

The popularity of that beer has gotten nuts in the past five years.

Wait they have cans?! I heard about it from my bro-in-law who lives in LA last year. When he visited, he wanted to go the brewery specifically over Lagunitas or Anchor Steam or 21st Amendment.

Edit; Should have mentioned that I am a family man so all my drinking happens when my kids are asleep and I am gaming at home in the evening or on the weekends at a BBQ in the backyard. Usually have either one beer or protein/vege drink depending on how I want to abuse my body.

The sky was crying in the North Bay because I stubbed my toe really bad. I got over it.

I really want a place that sells Pliney The Elder. Know of any?

Most Whole Foods in the South Bay gets their Russian River deliveries on Thursdays. There's another small place in Campbell that gets bottles.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well, well, well we finally get a good rainfall! Time to fill back up our resevoirs (just a little bit).

I went to sleep and it was raining, only to wake up and it was still raining. Is this a preview of the wet weather to come? I hope so!

Oh and Grimes was awesome to see on Halloween. The Fillmore is an awesome place. But the floor moved a bit much for my taste. I literally thought it was gonna give due to all of the flexing it was doing.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
yea been browsing craigslist looking

my girlfriend and I just got jobs out in burlingame and redwood city respectively and we live in concord

we will see how the commute goes.
I've got a coworker that does the concord to redwood city commute. 2 and a half hours. Daily.

Is Sunnyvale still considered Peninsula? You *might* be able to find something there. You will probably need to go to $3500 to get a decent set of options.

It generally isn't. It's considered South Bay Area.

Fuuck that damn. Then again I've met someone who commutes from Concord to San Jose. Now that sounded absolutely soul crushing.

My coworker does the Central Valley to Santa Clara every day. He listens to a lot of books on tape.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It generally isn't. It's considered South Bay Area.

My coworker does the Central Valley to Santa Clara every day. He listens to a lot of books on tape.

I have no idea how your coworker can handle that lol. I wouldn't be able to handle even a 1 hr commute. And only way I'd even consider commuting for nearly that long is if I could just bart and at least be able to read during the commute.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Friend/ex-coworker used to commute from San Jose to the North Bay, 2 hour commute. Insane.

For my very first job 14 years ago, I had to commute from Davis to Alameda because our college apartment lease wasn't up yet for another few months. And I was on night shift too, lol. At least the drive back was pretty traffic free.

I have no idea how your coworker can handle that lol. I wouldn't be able to handle even a 1 hr commute. And only way I'd even consider commuting for nearly that long is if I could just bart and at least be able to read during the commute.

Lots of books on tape I guess =) I could never handle that. To make things worse, he used to, not sure if he still does, drive all the way up to SF to drop his son off at school since he had a scholarship to a good school from when they lived in the city. He moved out there because housing prices were like 1/8th the price they were here.

For a while, I used to commute from the Sacramento area to downtown SF every day using amtrak/bart. Was around 2.5 hours each way.

I met a guy from Sacramento that used to commute to South Bay every day using a mix of amtrak/bart/caltrain. Absolutely brutal.

AcridMeat

Banned
I met a guy from Sacramento that used to commute to South Bay every day using a mix of amtrak/bart/caltrain. Absolutely brutal.
Surely the amount of time and money spent doing that commute isn't worth not moving closer at that point? Unless his job gave a great incentive.

I've got a coworker that does the concord to redwood city commute. 2 and a half hours. Daily.

used to commute from turlock to san francisco at least 3 hours each, moved out here to be closer

but is it really 2 and a half hours each time? has traffic gotten THAT bad? its only an hour and 10 minutes without traffic.

used to commute from turlock to san francisco at least 3 hours each, moved out here to be closer

but is it really 2 and a half hours each time? has traffic gotten THAT bad? its only an hour and 10 minutes without traffic.

Hell Yeah!! Traffic been bad the last few years!! People moving out east because SF/Bay Area getting to damn expensive

Surely the amount of time and money spent doing that commute isn't worth not moving closer at that point? Unless his job gave a great incentive.

I dunno, 1/3rd to 1/4th the mortgage rate? That's a lot of money when you factor that's a couple thousand a month. Plus the nice thing about taking a train is you get to do stuff during that time. You can watch TV, read a book, sleep, work, etc. I remember when I was taking a train from the South Bay to SF for work; I watched the entire Stargate SG-1 series during that time. It was relaxing.

t26

It is one hour from Hayward to San Mateo, 30 mins from San Mateo to Redwood City. Add in Concord to Hayward and thats about right.

beat

I commute from one end of SF to the other by Muni and it takes me almost an hour end-to-end, though probably 12-15 minutes of that are walking.

AcridMeat

Banned
I dunno, 1/3rd to 1/4th the mortgage rate? That's a lot of money when you factor that's a couple thousand a month. Plus the nice thing about taking a train is you get to do stuff during that time. You can watch TV, read a book, sleep, work, etc. I remember when I was taking a train from the South Bay to SF for work; I watched the entire Stargate SG-1 series during that time. It was relaxing.
It certainly depends on the situation, and I definitely understand the benefits to having a commute to read or get whatever done. I was more speaking to that situation where that person is spending upwards of 6 hours commuting a day. That's just crazy to me.

It certainly depends on the situation, and I definitely understand the benefits to having a commute to read or get whatever done. I was more speaking to that situation where that person is spending upwards of 6 hours commuting a day. That's just crazy to me.

Ya, I could never do it. But, I could certainly understand if someone is saving $2000 to $3000 a month how it might make sense to do that type of commute. There's a world of a difference between a long commute where you're driving and a long commute where you're sitting on a train. If you could work while on the train and that counts for your hours for the day, it might not be so bad one way and then on the way back you get to kick back and read, something I miss with a lack of time and something I could do if I wasn't actively driving. So while I couldn't do it, I could understand someone wanting to save that much money while still having the time to do other things since they're just sitting on a train.

Top Bottom