• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dont think there will be problems with hitting the 1M here.

So, for some reason, I thought this was going to be Harebrained Schemes first game. As it turns out, I already own their iPad game Steam Pirates, which was fantastic.

Their upcoming game looks amazing too.

They have great artists. I cannot wait to see what they do with this game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I wonder if they'll have another graph.

Yeah, I wish the dude who created the W2 graph would have one for this as well. He described how to set up such a graph for other projects though... but eeeeh.

Yeah, I wish the dude who created the W2 graph would have one for this as well. He described how to set up such a graph for other projects though... but eeeeh.

I meant this graph.
funding_graphic.jpg

It looks like it goes to 1.2 or 1.3, so graph of new milestones would pick up from there.

Toma

Oooooooooh. Bookmarked. Thanks!

I meant this graph.

It looks like it goes to 1.2 or 1.3, so a new graph of new milestones would pick up from there.

Ah alright, well I guess they will need to put new information about further plans out there soon indeed. Not sure what they want to promise at this point though (except MORE of everything).

Ah alright, well I guess they will need to put new information about further plans out there soon indeed. Not sure what they want to promise at this point though (except MORE of everything).

I assume a third city or, as you mentioned, just more of the existing stuff.

Pretty confident that at the current rate it will hit at least $1.5mil. Wasteland 2 stabilized at 20k a day, and Shadowrun should have a higher floor because of the shortened timeframe. Even if it were to drop all the way to 20k and never experience the ending spike, it would still reach $1.1mil.

I assume a third city or, as you mentioned, just more of the existing stuff.

Maybe they would be able to hire a dedicated port team.

Toma

Pretty confident that at the current rate it will hit at least $1.5mil. Wasteland 2 stabilized at 20k a day, and Shadowrun should have a higher floor because of the shortened timeframe. Even if it were to drop all the way to 20k and never experience the ending spike, it would still reach $1.1mil.

Maybe they would be able to hire a dedicated port team.

Yup, looking at the graph, 1,5M would be my bet too.

mclem

I wonder why they went for such a short timespan. It doesn't seem to have hindered them, at least in the context of the specific goals they're aiming for, but it does look a little odd that this started so recently but will finish just a couple of weeks after Wasteland 2.

Edit: 700k any minute now.

Zeliard

I wonder why they went for such a short timespan. It doesn't seem to have hindered them, at least in the context of the specific goals they're aiming for, but it does look a little odd that this started so recently but will finish just a couple of weeks after Wasteland 2.

Perhaps to create some sense of urgency in an effort to get more pledges in, since it's lower-profile than the other big ones. But yeah it struck me as odd as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
Graph got me wondering...what do they mean by 4 "realities"? I'm unfamiliar with the P&PRPG rulebook but I played Shadowrun on the SNES and there was nothing that seemed to indicate that each "class" (decker, dwarf mercenary, etc...) was a different "reality".

With 20 days to go hopefully they will collect the 300,000 needed to break 1M, but I'm worried about the rate that it has slowed down. Come on people! Shadowrun! RPG done in the tactical turn based style of X-Com! Mission Editor to tell your own stories! This is your chance to vote with your wallet and show that this is the type of game you want to see! Exclamation Point!

tenchir

Well yeah, duh, it'd be silly to have a single character that can enter the Matrix, control drones and be a great fighter. That's why you create a team and have the other team members fill in the additional roles.

If they go by the rules, you have to make a lot of sacrifices to be all of those. For example, adding in implants or cybernetic upgrades to yourself greatly reduces your essence that you need for being a mage. Cybernetic Samurai and Adepts are like oppposite sides even though they are both physical damage dealers. It's not like DnD rules, in this world your stats/skill/abilities actually has a cost to your other abilities/stats/stkills in effectiveness.

What I am saying basically is that it is hard playing a jack of all classes and you have to specialize a bit, but that shouldn't prevent you from customizing your character a little like adding a jack port to your mage so he can do basic decking or implanting your adept with a targeting system for better aiming. Those kind of things can't imbalance gameplay, it will give you more variety for your playstyle.

I am guessing that the reason they are going with class archetype instead of custom classes is because they didn't want to have to test/QA them.

Graph got me wondering...what do they mean by 4 "realities"? I'm unfamiliar with the P&PRPG rulebook but I played Shadowrun on the SNES and there was nothing that seemed to indicate that each "class" (decker, dwarf mercenary, etc...) was a different "reality".

In Shadowrun, there are four realities: the Physical, the Digital, the Mystic, and the Astral. This translates into four main classes: Deckers/hackers (digital), Street Samurai (physical), combat mages (mystic) and shaman (astral).

As discribed on the page:

Contextual Gameplay in Four Realities

Four realities overlap in the world of Shadowrun (the Physical, the Digital, the Mystic, and the Astral) and associated character classes such as the Street Samurai, Hacker, Combat Mage, and Shaman, each have the ability to view and interact with the world in ways the others can’t.

Here are some ways that selecting each character type allows you to see the map from a different perspective:

Street Samurai see a threat assessment overlay of the environment that notes enemy appraisals, options for cover, potential weapons, and statistics for drawn weapons.
Combat Mages see magical auras, granting them the ability to locate magical items, identify spells being prepared, and find the intersections of magic lay lines where they can recharge their power.
Hackers/Deckers see the digital control circuitry that allows them to manipulate the physical world via the digital one.
Shaman see the “true world” that lies in the astral plane, distinguishing the true nature of people, plants, creatures, and magical objects while buildings and other “dead” objects appear as mere shadows.

In other words, a Street Sam is able to tell which of a particular group of potential enemies will be a bigger threat, while a Decker can tell which security console controls a turret, while a Shaman can spot a sniper hidden in a building that intends to do him and his chummers harm, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
In Shadowrun, there are four realities: the Physical, the Digital, the Mystic, and the Astral. This translates into four main classes: Deckers/hackers (digital), Street Samurai (physical), combat mages (mystic) and shaman (astral).

As discribed on the page:

In other words, a Street Sam is able to tell which of a particular group of potential enemies will be a bigger threat, while a Decker can tell which security console controls a turret, while a Shaman can spot a sniper hidden in a building that intends to do him and his chummers harm, etc.
Oh, I missed that part. That seems pretty cool, actually, if there's more to it than different stats. Thanks.

When I played I used Glide, Crystals and carried a Rifle and a Katana what does that make me?

Corto

I haven't played these games, I don't know the developers but their enthusiastic presentation on KS and the youtube runs of the NES game convinced me. I'll pitch in. Another cool game to play 1-2 years from now.

todahawk

I haven't played these games, I don't know the developers but their enthusiastic presentation on KS and the youtube runs of the NES game convinced me. I'll pitch in. Another cool game to play 1-2 years from now.

I dunno, the SNES version of Shadowrun never clicked for me... but I've played the Genesis version more times than I can count. Not sure it matters because I love everything I've heard about the new game.

Lime

A little bit off-topic, but thanks to Dice's recommendation of Ed Harrison's Neotokyo soundtrack, I just bought it. I think having him as a composer would be pretty great for this game, imo.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
A little bit off-topic, but thanks to Dice's recommendation of Ed Harrison's Neotokyo soundtrack, I just bought it. I think having him as a composer would be pretty great for this game, imo.

Everyone who even remotely likes music should give Ed Harrison a listen. The NeoTokyo soundtrack may very well be my CD of the last decade!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I dunno, the SNES version of Shadowrun never clicked for me... but I've played the Genesis version more times than I can count. Not sure it matters because I love everything I've heard about the new game.

I'm the exact opposite.

The pace is still solid, but I still say multiple update benchmarks at a time is the way to go----somewhat more "bite-sized" goals to spur folks on.

I mean, you've got a wide range of donation tiers, so having a progress ladder with properly spaced rungs seems like the way to go as opposed to various plateaus with steep cliffts shearing each. I mean, $425K and then the next thing they throw out, even if it does constitute a few things is $1 million?

Stay true to your system SR team, we only got Karma in small increments on the Genesis but it worked because we could generally spend it to noticeable, varied effects at a regular clip for the entire formative period! Conversely they seem to be taking a black market Cyberdeck pricing method....where the upgrade is felt, eventually, all at once, after a large sum and you kind of stand still meanwhile...

Any tips for getting into the Genesis one? SNES one was much simpler, easier to navigate. The Genesis one... I could tell it was full of depth, but the learn curve is STEEP.

JoseJX

It sounded like it's just not something they can spend time on, and I think Wasteland 2 didn't promise Linux until 1.5 million anyway.
That's true, but here, they've completely said there's no chance. I'd certainly be in for more than $15 if there was a Linux version. I understand that there's extra costs, but I'm certainly willing to pay more to make that happen. If it's really a problem, why not set a really high goal for it instead of alienating a community that has been pretty generous to these types of projects in the past?

For Linux folk who are looking for a cause to champion, The Banner Saga could use some love and they just committed to Linux support.

It looks fantastic and the devs seem really enthusiastic about the project. I'm really looking forward to this one.

SNES just didn't really include the whole Essence thing where you have to balance your upgrades/magic. You could level up and master everything which isn't really how Shadowrun works. You're supposed to balance your weaknesses with the strengths of your party members. SNES party balance was off in that aspect. All you had to do was max Neg/Chr/and Leadership. Buy Kitsune, Anderson and Norbert for life and run through everyone. The Orc's were all pretty useless and weak compared to the machine gun NPC's. Kitsunes Summon Spirit cleared rooms in seconds. SNES's number system could have been better balanced, but it wasn't terrible.

The SNES's story was much more Linear but better IMO. Finding yourself almost killed you get to the Caryards to be safe get some weapons then do some side missions to level up/gain the magic so you can take the assault on Drake. Its a classic KungFu plot essentially.

Genesis's story I don't really remember I think at the end you fight the Devil? Thats kinda weird...

Though the Genesis's level up system and gameplay (especially the Matrix) was probably better and more true to the PnP.

SNES's music wins also. Both are great games.

I never had the chance to play the SNES version. I was a Genesis guy.

Are there any German gamers here? I'm just wondering if news of a Shadowrun Kickstarter spread to the German news sites. You would think they would go apeshit over it given the PnP's rabid following there.

SNES just didn't really include the whole Essence thing where you have to balance your upgrades/magic. You could level up and master everything which isn't really how Shadowrun works. You're supposed to balance your weaknesses with the strengths of your party members. SNES party balance was off in that aspect. All you had to do was max Neg/Chr/and Leadership. Buy Kitsune, Anderson and Norbert for life and run through everyone. The Orc's were all pretty useless and weak compared to the machine gun NPC's. Kitsunes Summon Spirit cleared rooms in seconds. SNES's number system could have been better balanced, but it wasn't terrible.

The SNES's story was much more Linear but better IMO. Finding yourself almost killed you get to the Caryards to be safe get some weapons then do some side missions to level up/gain the magic so you can take the assault on Drake. Its a classic KungFu plot essentially.

Genesis's story I don't really remember I think at the end you fight the Devil? Thats kinda weird...

Though the Genesis's level up system and gameplay (especially the Matrix) was probably better and more true to the PnP.

SNES's music wins also. Both are great games.

In the Sega Shadowrun (taken from wiki):
Story

Shadowrun's story begins on January 31, 2058 in Seattle, UCAS. In the wilderness of the newly reclaimed Amerindian lands of the Salish-Shidhe, a small team of shadowrunners is brutally ambushed by unknown forces. The massacre is over quickly, but is captured in video by one of the slain member's cybereyes; the video is recovered and made national news. The last man to die in the video was a shadowrunner known as Michael, Joshua's brother.

Joshua spends his last nuyen and flies to Seattle, vowing to avenge his brother's death. He arrives at Sea-Tac Airport and traces back Michael's last credstick transaction to "Stoker's Coffin Motel", in the Redmond Barrens. Joshua travels there to inquire about his brother, only to be told by the owner that Michael never paid his bill and in fact has some belongings being held. He strikes a deal with Joshua, and by beginning to do small shadowruns for a small-time Mr. Johnson, called Gunderson, he gains enough money to pay his brother's bills.

In Michael's belongings, he finds three "holopix": one of a young woman, Tabatha Shale; of an Amerindian, David Owlfeather, and of Seattle General Hospital Dr. Heaversheen. From there, the story divides into three branches that the player can go through in any order, either separately or at once. Each branch gives the answer to three main questions:

Who killed Michael, and under whose orders,
What was Michael's last shadowrun,
Why was Michael killed.

Because of the sandbox style of gameplay and the non-linear story, the entire mystery isn't revealed until the three main branches are totally completed. Once they are, the plot slowly arises:

Decades before Michael's death, the Salish-Shidhe lands were reclaimed by a number of Amerindians and Elven heroes; amongst them was a man known as Ellisia, who founded an elven Council, the Sinsearach, to protect the wilderness from the city's corruption.

After Ellisia's death, his body was sealed in a mausoleum with a number of magical artifacts to prevent the misuse of Ellisia's magic power.

It is then that an ancient free spirit entity called Thon, begins a plot to fully penetrate this world using Ellisia. Free spirits are cursed, as Thon needed to replenish his life force or his form in this world would cease to exist. In order to stay alive, Thon seeks out magical artifacts and in destructive rituals, absorbs their energies. With the power of Ellisia's body and artifacts, Thon could become a physical entity.

Thon begins to use two Mr. Johnsons, Vigore & Jarl, to carry out his plans for him,

A mega corporation, Renraku, becomes involved with Thon through Vigore, a corporate support at the time. Renraku begins to work with the free spirit in a top-priority project, "Project THON". The project's leader is Mako Sochou, but he soon is blinded by Thon's promises and betrays Renraku, being replaced by Ito Ogami. Renraku itself plans on manipulating Thon, being the only ones with a map to Ellisia's Tomb.

By this point, Sinsearach Council member Harlequin sets on a mission to stop Thon from desecrating Ellisia's Tomb and being freed again. To do this, Harlequin asks his apprentice Frosty to hire a Mr. Johnson, Caleb Brightmore, to organize a small team of shadowrunners to go into Ellisia's Tomb and destroy Thon's magic source. Michael is employed in this team.

Ito Ogami sends a Renraku Strike Team to kill Michael's team; Harlequin is left powerless without his team.

Joshua's mission and investigation eventually leads him to Harlequin himself; but it is not after he completes all stories that the ends meet and he can finally reach Ellisia's tomb, the final stage of the game.

Hayvic

So who are these people that pledge $10,000. I understand people can be passionate about their hobbies, but I can't fathom anyone short of a millionaire pledging that much no matter how fond you were of the game. Or are these major backers companies?

mclem

What interests me is that they told us how much money it would take in order to add a new asset directly to the game.

I've little to no experience in Shadowrun, but as I understand it, most new cities in the PnP RPG correspond to a new sourcebook detailing new elements within the city.

My point being: Do we know that 'a new city' *only* means the terrain, or could it also mean the associated new game elements within it? That's a bit more than a straight graphical asset.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So who are these people that pledge $10,000. I understand people can be passionate about their hobbies, but I can't fathom anyone short of a millionaire pledging that much no matter how fond you were of the game. Or are these major backers companies?

Rich people like games too.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I've little to no experience in Shadowrun, but as I understand it, most new cities in the PnP RPG correspond to a new sourcebook detailing new elements within the city.

My point being: Do we know that 'a new city' *only* means the terrain, or could it also mean the associated new game elements within it? That's a bit more than a straight graphical asset.

different cities have different cultures so it would have to be more then just tile sets

Top Bottom