• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

My point being: Do we know that 'a new city' *only* means the terrain, or could it also mean the associated new game elements within it? That's a bit more than a straight graphical asset.

I'm assuming that if he put $1M as the goal without going into detail, that means that they already know how much it will cost. It won't take over that $1M in order to *actually* make it.

While it has slowed a bit, nothing to say they can't knock out another update or so elaborating on things already wrangled, or at least more details on broad things figured---kind of like the Banner Saga folks have.

Even just one or so decent updates en route to 1 million stands a fair shot of some spiking by my reckoning---to say nothing of whatever they cook up for when it gets past 1 million.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They sent me a message back saying "they'd look into that"

So at the very least, the name Ed Harrison and his work for Neotokyo has been received by one member of the team.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Could Kickstarter work for games stuck in licensing limbo, like the System Shock series? Or Blade Runner? Or No One Lives Forever? You know, so GOG can acquire the rights. Or is it more than just licensing fees?

I can't see Kickstarter working for something whee the rights, one way or another, are not already in the clear in full via whatever arrangement---I'd imagine anything sufficiently tied up promotes a ridiculous ballooning effect in terms of the "cost" to set it all straight would render KS-level amounts, at least at this stage of adoption, pretty moot. Exponentially so if there are more than 1-2 entities at play trying to get wrist deep in the cookie jar.

Hell, just look at the depressing license path for Shadowrun here in the run-up to this Kickstarter even starting.

epmode

Could Kickstarter work for games stuck in licensing limbo, like the System Shock series? Or Blade Runner? Or No One Lives Forever? You know, so GOG can acquire the rights. Or is it more than just licensing fees?
Something like that sounds like there would need to be coordination between many different companies, not to mention how high those licensing fees can run. It doesn't seem like a good fit.

So who are these people that pledge $10,000. I understand people can be passionate about their hobbies, but I can't fathom anyone short of a millionaire pledging that much no matter how fond you were of the game. Or are these major backers companies?

I would imagine all 3 were groups of passionate Shadowrun PnP players who all chipped a grand or two in each.

shaowebb

This game has soooooo much support from me. This is what I was actually wanting the 360 thing to be. It turned into another multiplayer grab though.

God I can't wait to go in on a new Shadowrun RPG done up the way they promised in their posts. Decker 4 life.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I backed this, these guys seem really clued in, the stretch goals are great, I'm really happy that they've decided against multiplayer for this version.

Seems like a really well run project, shame this isn't getting as much buzz as Wasteland.

panty

I was on the fence but now when it's funded, sure why not.

Congratulations!

You are now an official backer of Shadowrun Returns.

If Apple would let people pre-sell redemption codes, and you could choose an IOS version as a reward, kickstarters like this could generate a LOT more cash.

pakkit

Banned
They sent me a message back saying "they'd look into that"

So at the very least, the name Ed Harrison and his work for Neotokyo has been received by one member of the team.

My favorite video game soundtrack ever... I'd pledge any kickstarter involving that man.

This game has soooooo much support from me. This is what I was actually wanting the 360 thing to be. It turned into another multiplayer grab though.

God I can't wait to go in on a new Shadowrun RPG done up the way they promised in their posts. Decker 4 life.

It's nice you'er excited, but don't let that make you speak falsehoods.

I don't care what anyone says, Shadowrun for the 360 was an awesome game. One of the most team-based shooters on the platform. You can hate on it all you want, but had Microsoft marketed it better like, given the game a campaign, or a reduced price if it was multiplayer only, it would have been received better. Pair it with some stat tracking and that sort of stuff...MLG picked up on it. Damn it, I wish Microsoft hadn't sent out it to die.

Unicorn

I've never played any Shadowrun game, but that video on th KS page fucking has me so excited. As a pretty big (now dormant) DnD 3.5 nerd the lore/world sounds fucking amazing. I love Cyberpunk in general, but the marriage of that and magic is so cool of an idea. I would love to try the PnP with my group of nerd friends, but it took them waaay to long to come around to DnD.

If I were to give Shadowrun a shot, which is the best version? I'm sure the SNES vers. is expensive to acquire? How about required books for the PnP? I'm so ready for this hype train, regardless of if this future product is a bust. I wish I knew about this world before!

I've never played any Shadowrun game, but that video on th KS page fucking has me so excited. As a pretty big (now dormant) DnD 3.5 nerd the lore/world sounds fucking amazing. I love Cyberpunk in general, but the marriage of that and magic is so cool of an idea. I would love to try the PnP with my group of nerd friends, but it took them waaay to long to come around to DnD.

If I were to give Shadowrun a shot, which is the best version? I'm sure the SNES vers. is expensive to acquire? How about required books for the PnP? I'm so ready for this hype train, regardless of if this future product is a bust. I wish I knew about this world before!

For the 2nd ed. of the PnP Shadowrun (I only know a little about the 4th ed.) I would recommend:

Shadowrun Second Edition (Core Rulebook)
Street Samurai Catalog (Expanded Weapon rules)
Grimoire Second Edition (Expanded Magic rules)
Virtual Realities 2.0 (Expanded Hacking rules)
Shadowrun Companion (Miscellaneous rules and updates)

For Sourcebooks:
Corporate Shadowfiles (Profiles the various Corps)
Lone Star (Info on Lone Star Security, the corp police that Shadowrunners have frequent clashes with)
The Neo-Anarchists Guide to Real Life (Info about living in the Shadowrun universe)

And maybe Fields of Fire (Merc and military sourcebook), Cybertechnology (expands on the cyberware rules), and Target: UCAS (political info on the UCAS) and Tir Tairngire (info on the elven nation in former Oregon) if you're interested in those areas.

ad copy. circa 2050 said:
Real Life? Why bother? Get the newest SimTech cranial simdeck and dream your troubles away...

So who are these people that pledge $10,000. I understand people can be passionate about their hobbies, but I can't fathom anyone short of a millionaire pledging that much no matter how fond you were of the game. Or are these major backers companies?

People that is very passionate about RPG, for example people that is able to pay $1600 to go from Europe to US to a RPG convention (and there are a quite a few of them), maybe some of those people can gather the same amount of money with other 5 also very passionate friends to be able to have a pen&paper RPG session at home with the guy that created ShadowRun RPG, with the same price (or less) than going to a US RPG convention and wander around there. And free snacks.

I confess that I was really tempted...

painey

I've read a lot about this, but really don't get how it is going to play... can't decide if I should back it or not.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I've read a lot about this, but really don't get how it is going to play... can't decide if I should back it or not.

its not going to be a action rpg like the other ones its going to be more like fallout 1&2 or like a front mission or final fantasy tactics

both versions are good but if you are looking for a deep story game get the snes version goes for about $25-30 for loose cart or about $50 complete although genesis game is a little cheaper goes for about $30 complete

People that is very passionate about RPG, for example people that is able to pay $1600 to go from Europe to US to a RPG convention (and there are a quite a few of them), maybe some of those people can gather the same amount of money with other 5 also very passionate friends to be able to have a pen&paper RPG session at home with the guy that created ShadowRun RPG, with the same price (or less) than going to a US RPG convention and wander around there. And free snacks.

I confess that I was really tempted...

Might also be the owners of mom and pop comic stores that also sell RPGs, getting a guy like him in to run a game can be a boon. Publicize that he's coming in to run the game to get those hardcore gamers into the store to watch and buy Shadowrun books.

It's going to be a tactical Strategy RPG. In one of the videos the guy compared it with X-Com in style.

And for no reason what so ever (but mostly because that earlier question got me reading it again and I felt like throwing it out on here so those who never played can get a taste of the settings flavor) here's part of the opening of the Neo-Anarchists Guild To Real Life.

Captain Chaos said:
Tourist drek. And worse, tourist drek disseminated by Mituhama which, as we all know, is something less than open-minded, Blakey's comments to the contrary.
Actually, I know Blakey- we used to punch deck together before he sold out. A competent guy, really, would have been a great asset to Shadowland. But of course MCT, through SDS, offered him a hell of a lot more money than Shadowland could, basically by offering him money in the first place. Shadowland sysops like me get paid by the knowledge that we help scroffy bleeders and street monsters like yourselves to stretch your miserable lives a couple of days longer.
That said, the Real Life idea is a good one for tourists, but it's also worthwhile for less- shall we say official- visitors to this fine burg. There's something distinctive about Seattle, something that sets it apart from any other location on the continent or around the world. Genuine differences exist between Seattle and Los Angeles, or Atlanta, o New york, or- gods be thanked- Quebec City. And those differences can kill unwary runners.
Differences in customs and laws from area to area are becoming more important as the number of out-of-sprawl runners increases. A noticeable number of street ops have been flowing into the Elliot Bay area from elsewhere on this fine, fragged continent: samurai from Denver and Salt Lake City, riggers from CalFree, shamans from various tribal lands, and hermetics from all over the green earth. Most unusual is a recent influx of deckers from Pueblo; apparently the guys who run the Net down there have gotten a mite twitchy recently, and lots of shadow deckers came here seeking relief from the heat wave.
In any case, it stands to reason that all this new talent- and maybe some of the old talent as well- could use a quick crash course (or refresher, as the case may be) n what's going down in Seattle. I couldn't think of a better way to get the information across than to upload the most recent Real Life onto the Shadowlands bulletin board system. Of course, I've edited out some hefty chunks of material. What runner (or wannabe) really wants to know about the hot new art gallery throwing a wine-and-cheese opening in Beaux Arts, or where to catch the latest in artsy-fartsy experimental trid? Let the tourists read that drek. You wanna read it, go check out the tourist copy of Real Life; this one's got other priorities.
As with everything else on Shadowland, the text itself is read-only; you can't edit it or delete it, but if you really want to try, go to it: we're testing some really hot, new black ice from Pueblo. Also as usual, there's enough free space in storage for as many comments as anyone wants to add. And finally, as always, we take no responsibility for the accuracy of anything you berks put up here.

DiscoJer

Well, in the third video, he described the vision as being "X-com like"

But I would guess it's perhaps closer to the original Jagged Alliance games - you walk around in real time, but once combat starts, it's turn based

Then again, it's entirely possible (given the relatively low budget) he really did mean X-com like, you have say, a city map, then click on the place you want to go do.

But the main thing is that combat will be X-com like, IMHO. Got me to up my bid to $60.

Well, in the third video, he described the vision as being "X-com like"

But I would guess it's perhaps closer to the original Jagged Alliance games - you walk around in real time, but once combat starts, it's turn based

Then again, it's entirely possible (given the relatively low budget) he really did mean X-com like, you have say, a city map, then click on the place you want to go do.

But the main thing is that combat will be X-com like, IMHO. Got me to up my bid to $60.

I'm curious as to how big the party size will be. 3 party members at once is acceptable but I'm hoping for 4 members. I wouldn't mind the option for maybe 5 or 6 for some missions when extra firepower is needed.

I was thinking of waiting till the last day but I decided to just back up the project already. No point in waiting much longer. I hope this upcoming game can get me more interested in the Shadowrun universe and maybe try the tabletop games.

DiscoJer

And it just reached $800,000

Shadowrun800k.jpg

I'm curious as to how big the party size will be. 3 party members at once is acceptable but I'm hoping for 4 members. I wouldn't mind the option for maybe 5 or 6 for some missions when extra firepower is needed.

I'd say 4 (including the main character) minimum. The PnP Shadowrun was designed with 2-8 players in mind.

A couple of interesting things about the party system that no one has mentioned:

- They hinted that players will be able to share their character with their friends, who will be able to hire them to go on runs.
- Death is permanent, if a character dies on a run he's gone for good (unless the player has the Doc Wagon benefit).

Here's a question for those who've played the PnP game, if they decide to go with a archetypes-as-class system rather than building your own character as is done in the PnP version (or perhaps they'll use them just for the NPC Runners you hire), what archetypes would you like to see make it in? Street Samurai, Decker, Combat Mage, Shaman, and Rigger have been mentioned already.

DiscoJer

Here's a question for those who've played the PnP game, if they decide to go with a archetypes-as-class system rather than building your own character as is done in the PnP version (or perhaps they'll use them just for the NPC Runners you hire), what archetypes would you like to see make it in? Street Samurai, Decker, Combat Mage, Shaman, and Rigger have been mentioned already.

I'd really like to see physical adepts (basically magic powered fighters). They were more for melee combat, though.

I would just hope there are different types of street sams. Like one with really fast reflexes (wired 3) but only a little bit of other cyber, since not much essence less, versus slower ones with a lot of dermal plating and cyberlimbs and such.

That's true, but here, they've completely said there's no chance. I'd certainly be in for more than $15 if there was a Linux version. I understand that there's extra costs, but I'm certainly willing to pay more to make that happen. If it's really a problem, why not set a really high goal for it instead of alienating a community that has been pretty generous to these types of projects in the past?

Your wish has been granted.

Victrix

*beard*
The linux people weird me out

Is there really a large enough population of PC gamers that only use linux to make any dev time spent porting it to linux worthwhile?

I mean, if its a 'free' port, great, make more people happy, but um... yeah. Is the time and money spent porting the game to linux <= the amount of money paid by linux fans, pre or post release?

I wonder if there are any solid numbers out there on the # of linux only gamers

Is there really a large enough population of PC gamers that only use linux to make any dev time spent porting it to linux worthwhile?

I mean, if its a 'free' port, great, make more people happy, but um... yeah. Is the time and money spent porting the game to linux <= the amount of money paid by linux fans, pre or post release?

The users seem to come out during the indie bundle promotions. Their numbers might not equate Windows users, but they're quite passionate about gaming on their OS.

Victrix

*beard*
The users seem to come out during the indie bundle promotions. Their numbers might not equate Windows users, but they're quite passionate about gaming on their OS.

I'm well aware they're passionate, but based on industry response, I get the feeling they're also an incredibly tiny % of the userbase, and in the case of a Kickstarter project, it seems foolish to spend limited development resources on such a port if the money and time could be spent elsewhere on features that would benefit a far, far larger group of fans

Again, I don't know the exact numbers, I can only make assumptions based on dev/pub comments and the number of ports done

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I think they are the very definition of vocal minority.

There may only be like 500 - 1000 of them but every single one seems to very loudly whine and complain about the lack of linux versions for these indy games.

Such a stupid waste of resources.

As a long time Linux user, I have to say that I don't really care if we see a native port. If they can do it, sure OK, why not? If not, I'll grab the Windows version and run it under Wine if I have to. But I don't want to see them waste resources on things that aren't really needed. Sure it's a nice gesture on their part, but it also comes off as a bit of a half-assed "we'll see, now quit your whining" response. I'd rather see them focus on an Android and iOS version, TBH. Or make the game world bigger.

Mac users on the other hand are a bit of a different story. Now with services like Steam and the Mac App Store, there are ways they can deliver their game to the Mac user base.

But for Linux... there really aren't any dedicated delivery services. And the few that are, are mostly distro specific (The Ubuntu Software Center, for example).

Top Bottom