• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

mudkyp

This latest update really showed to me that they have a clear plan and are well aware of scope and what they can achieve. It helps to calm any fears or nervousness that I had at the beginning.

Sentenza

I love how he described what the game will look like - X-com like.
Yes, that part got me excited as well, if anything cause it makes quite clear that they *know* how a good turn-based tactical game should play.
Also, no co-op or multiplayer in any form to me is a great plus, for this kind of game. I really can't see it working, and it would drive away too many resources from the main campaign's design.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm glad they're focusing on the core game and leaving out multiplayer and PVP.

Dipswitch

Fuck me - I'm in for $30. Third one of these Kickstarter deals I've signed up for. Great idea, but explaining to my wife why I'm spending even more money on this site is becoming increasingly more difficult.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Fuck me - I'm in for $30. Third one of these Kickstarter deals I've signed up for. Great idea, but explaining to my wife why I'm spending even more money on this site is becoming increasingly more difficult.

your investing for the future its for the children

I'm glad they're focusing on the core game and leaving out multiplayer and PVP.

Same here. This game needs to be full to the brim with content. Making online components like coop and pvp would take up so much time. I just hope they reach 1 million; mission/level editors will help this game live on for a long, long time.

DiscoJer

Is this guy a good writer? Anthology worth it we think?

Well, don't expect Gibson or Sterling, but virtually all of the Shadowrun novels were decent reads (and amusingly, one novel pretty much was The DaVinci Code before the DaVinci Code). I hope they offer a mobi or epub version instead of a pdf though, so I can read it on my Kindle

Too bad Nigel Findley passed away, he was probably my favorite SR author.

Every chunk of cash helps. DFA didn't need anywhere near 3.3 million either, but they got it, and that'll just make for a bigger, better game.

DFA may also be an exception to some degree, even if KickStarter is most certainly growing in already-pledging and potential backers. There are now more higher-profile game projects to compete with for whatever total funding is possible within the pledge periods. Still, I get the frustration at how little seems to be done compared to certain other projects. They got their Kicking it Forward thing going, so that's a cool thing which will live on beyond their time with KS, anyway. However, it is mildly annoying how little information on the game has been doled out, with almost nothing revealed since the start of the KS. Early days for this sort of thing, still, and WL2 greatly benefits from being right on the heels of DFA even if it doesn't get a more refined approach that Weisman and others are working out as the pledging periods wind down.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
He mentioned music! He heard my cry for Ed Harrison!

I'm also glad they're focusing on single player since Shadowrun Online will cover multiplayer.

As for other cities, Tokyo! Everyone knows that Seattle and Tokyo are the first stops for cyberpunk anything.

Zeliard

DFA may also be an exception to some degree, even if KickStarter is most certainly growing in already-pledging and potential backers. There are now more higher-profile game projects to compete with for whatever total funding is possible within the pledge periods. Still, I get the frustration at how little seems to be done compared to certain other projects. They got their Kicking it Forward thing going, so that's a cool thing which will live on beyond their time with KS, anyway. However, it is mildly annoying how little information on the game has been doled out, with almost nothing revealed since the start of the KS. Early days for this sort of thing, still, and WL2 greatly benefits from being right on the heels of DFA even if it doesn't get a more refined approach that Weisman and others are refining as the pledging periods wind down.

Kicking It Forward is very awesome and Fargo deserves huge props for that, no doubt. But yeah I just think that they've been a bit too quiet on some things and just allowing the days to go by when they could probably be doing a bit more to create spikes in pledges.

Kind of a shame that Double Fine didn't join in on the Kicking It Forward initiative. Fargo contacted Schafer regarding it, so they know about it, but don't seem interested. 5% would be a fairly decent amount from them since their funding was so high, so maybe they just don't feel they can spare it.

Aselith

Kicking It Forward is very awesome and Fargo deserves huge props for that, no doubt. But yeah I just think that they've been a bit too quiet on some things and just allowing the days to go by when they could probably be doing a bit more to create spikes in pledges.

Kind of a shame that Double Fine didn't join in on the Kicking It Forward initiative. Fargo contacted Schafer regarding it, so they know about it, but don't seem interested. 5% would be a fairly decent amount from them since their funding was so high, so maybe they just don't feel they can spare it.
It's 5% of sales when the game comes oit tjough I believe.

Zeliard

It's 5% of sales when the game comes oit tjough I believe.

Ah yeah that's true.

Any developer that puts the "Kicking it Forward" badge on their Kickstarter project page is agreeing that they will put 5% of their finished product profits back into other Kickstarter projects. To be abundantly clear, this is only money that the developer earns as profit AFTER the project ships and AFTER they have paid their expenses. This is NOT a suggestion to invest money they received from people who invested into their project via Kickstarter.

Once a project in this program has become profitable, the developer is going to spend this 5% profit, which is their own money, on whatever Kickstarter projects they want to support.

Cool to see that the Harebrained guys have joined it as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Someone told me this would have cinematic set pieces and Nolan North voicing the lead character (a goofy but loveable every-man) so I just put down my backing.

Can't wait to play!!!

Zeliard

Let's hit 2 million so we get 3 cities ;)

I'm intrigued to see what else they have to announce, heh. I'm curious what they actually would add with 2 million.

The notion that they know exactly what to do with 1 million is quite promising - on top of removing any pretenses for multiplayer/co-op play - as it looks like they have some very clear design goals in mind. It feels like they already know exactly what to do with a 2 million dollar figure as well, and even if they don't, they are creating that impression.

Update #3: Wow (again) and Stretch Goals

Let’s get this right out of the way—your extended backing has already enabledus to add the following to Shadowrun Returns:

Mac version – available for everyone and also included at the $15 backer level (We can’t change what the description says but it’s true!)
Additional languages: German, French, and Spanish
And . . . RIGGERS!

Yep, that’s right. We’re going to include Rigger characters and the drones they control, dramatically expanding the game play in all sorts of fun ways. Again, these are NOT stretch goals – they’re going to be in the game, thanks to your kind support.

As Jordan mentions in the video, the game is set in Seattle and every dollar above our initial goal will go into making a richer, deeper, gameplay setting with more stories with more assets.

But if we hit a stretch funding goal of $1m we will be able to add the following:

A second city to explore. Which city? Well, that will be for Backers to decide! We’ll create a list of cool places for you to vote on. More on that later!
A more powerful and more accessible (less ugly) mission editor, so more people can tell deeper stories in the world of Shadowrun.
A musical score that resonates like the SNES and Genesis soundtracks did in the Long-Ago.

We continue to be blown away by your level of support and your passion for Shadowrun. In fact, we were almost carried away on the wave of enthusiasm over the last couple of days. But yesterday we took a step back and refocused on our core design principals and what we want Shadowrun Returns to be. (That’s why you create core design principals in the first place—to refer back to them in situations like this.)

As part of our review, we came to the conclusion that feature additions such as aLinux version, Multiplayer PvP, and Cooperative Play are beyond the scope of the project and would cause us to lose focus on the game you reacted to so positively (and the game we really want to make).

When Shadowrun Returns comes out (and is the success we all want it to be), we promise to look at these features as the core of a future release.

We are totally focused on our core goals of creating a kick-ass single player game with deep stories and thoughtful turn-based gameplay in world we can all play with. We hope you respect that decision, and again thank you for your enormous support and encouragement.

If you can't use Kickstarter, our PayPal is now are in LIVE! Go to http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/paypal to back us!

golem

Berlin sounds ok but kinda boring.. would like to see something more out there like Prague or Rio or Indonesia, for example.

A nice update, though I was expecting something of a split before the 1 million mark among it, like at 750K. Given it just jumped past 600K already, I'm feeling good about this target!

Rough break on the Linux aspect, IIRC the engine they are using isn't acclimated to it per se so that might be why something like that got lumped into something worlds apart in terms of tricky bits it would mean like multiplayer centric stuff.

Great deal on the new area at 1 mil, though I hope this means that the nifty outdoor area from the Genesis game isn't out of the running such that it has to go up against Tokyo and Berlin, Salish-Shadhe(sp?) I think it was.

I wonder if they will try to go full circle and shoot for a Japanese language localization if they can hit beyond a million----only thing better than a resurrection for a western fanbase is also one for the Japanese one considering they got more titles technically at it is.

Personally, I want the second city to be Anarchist Berlin in Germany.

Otherwise, I'd want to be in Texas or Cali somewhere.

Maybe move across the boarder to Vancouver BC? Though Vancouver could be a bit too same-y as Seattle in design. A UK city could also be interesting (London?) or maybe Detroit or Chicago?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Now that you mention it, I would prefer Hong Kong over Tokyo.

LuCkymoON

Banned
ugh fuck kickstarter, everything on there is tugging at my fanboy geeky dreams. I've just pledged to two more games cuz of you guys. =p

randomkid

This is so cool, Shadowrun was one of those games from back in the day I was always curious about. I checked out some youtube videos of the SNES version and man does it look great. But it's not up on VC and used SNES carts are pretty pricy and have unclear battery situations.

I'd really really like to play it, I guess the licensing to release it somewhere digitally is still a nightmare? Otherwise that would be an awesome bonus tier I think and would get me to donate a nice amount.

Durante

Riggers were my #1 wish for the game, I also made a comment to that effect over at the kickstarter -- I used to play a rigger in PnP a decade or so ago. Awesome.

Too bad about the Linux version, I know someone who would have been in for that.

DiscoJer

I was wondering why there were so Many articles in German

When FASA closed down, it was actually a German company that put out the Shadowrun RPG books for a while (FanPro, they started a US branch), then they went out of business some years later and I'm not sure who has the license now...

I'd love to see Chicago added (Bug City? Yes please!) and that's what I'm voting for when it comes to that. Imagine S.T.A.L.K.E.R. X Arkham City set in Shadowrun with Aliens influences and you'll have somewhat of an idea of the setting.

Bug City Backcover Blurb said:
"In The Darkness, Something Terrible Breeds...
For years, a shadow war has raged against the Universal Brotherhood and its savage masters - parasitic insect spirits that feed on human hosts. Now, Chicago has become the final battleground in the war against the bugs. Overrun by the horrible predators, the city has been quarantined by the UCAS military, leaving its inhabitants to fend for themselves while "other solutions" are considered. Hundreds of thousands remain trapped within the walled Containment Zone, at war with brutal gangs and ruthless warlords that rage unchecked - and the unnatural menace that threatens them all.

The Shadowrun novel Burning Bright provides the lead up to the situation in Bug City if you want more background.

I wouldn't cry if it was Berlin that got chosen though.

When FASA closed down, it was actually a German company that put out the Shadowrun RPG books for a while (FanPro, they started a US branch), then they went out of business some years later and I'm not sure who has the license now...

Catalyst Game Labs has the license to the PnP Shadowrun RPG, and Smith and Tinker licensed Shadowrun for videogames from MS.

Here's an incomplete list of Cities/Areas covered in Shadowrun 1,2,3 Ed. Source books:

Seattle (Defult setting of Shadowrun)
Chicago (Bug City, Target: UCAS, Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America)
Caribean League (Cyberpirates)
The Philippines (Cyberpirates)
West Africa (Cyberpirates)
London (London Sourcebook)
Tír na nÓg, the former Ireland (London Sourcebook, Tír na nÓg)
Allied German States (Germany Sourcebook)
California Free State (California Free State)
Tir Tairngire, Elven nation in former Oregon (Tir Tairngire)
Denver (Denver: The City of Shadows)
Aztlan, the former Mexico (Aztlan)
Boston (Target: UCAS)
Detroit (Target: UCAS)
New Orleans (Target: Smuggler Havens)
Vladivostok (Target: Smuggler Havens)

4th Ed. Source books:

Hong Kong (Runner Havens)
Caracas (Runner Havens)
Istanbul (Runner Havens)
Hamburg (Runner Havens)
Capetown (Runner Havens)
Los Angeles (Corporate Enclaves)
Neo-Tokyo (Corporate Enclaves)
Dubai (Corporate Enclaves)
Europort (Corporate Enclaves)
Nairobi (Corporate Enclaves)
Tenochtitlan (Corporate Enclaves)
Chicago (Feral Cities)
Lagos (Feral Cities)
Bogota (Feral Cities, War!)
GeMiTo (Feral Cities)
Geneva (Feral Cities)
Karavan (Feral Cities)
Sarajevo (Feral Cities)
New York (Corporate Enclaves, The Rotten Apple: Manhattan; released only in PDF format)
Somalia (War!)
Nepal (War!)
Albuquerque (War!)
Denver (Spy Games)

Not included in this listing is anything in the "Shadows of..." series of Source Books (North America, Asia, Europe, and Latin America), as I don't have them. Also not included are areas like Amazonia, the Pueblo Corporate Council, and the Indian tribal holdings, and a few other spots I don't have sources on. Hence incomplete above. ;) Thought it might provide some food for thought for my fellow backers as to what has been covered in previous SR works (although some of these were mentioned only in blurb form).

Aselith

All right, I put in $15 for the game. If they do a physical copy even if it's as simple as doing a nice print of a game disk in a flap in the cover of the hardback anthology, I'll increase my amount to go with my boxed copy on Wasteland 2 and DFA. Dude better start working on his next milestone goal after $1mil though. Seems like they're going to hit it quick.

tenchir

So rather than starting as a blank character and buying skill/stats to customize our character, they going with predefined classes? At least it still an RPG.

So rather than starting as a blank character and buying skill/stats to customize our character, they going with predefined classes? At least it still an RPG.

What? Where did they say that? If you're talking about the 4 realities thing, I'm hoping that is just them talking game design-wise.

Mitama

Well yeah, duh, it'd be silly to have a single character that can enter the Matrix, control drones and be a great fighter. That's why you create a team and have the other team members fill in the additional roles.

Talyn

Predefined classes (archetypes) have always been a part of Shadowrun, haven't they? I certainly recall them in the 1st and 2nd editions, which are the only 2 I've read.

Mitama

Defined classes (archetypes) have always been a part of Shadowrun, haven't they? I certainly recall them in the 1st and 2nd editions, which are the only 2 I've read.

Part of the games too. Character customization is pretty terrible anyhow, most people end up with the same specs/perks. With pre-defined roles they are able to have each class offer distinctive gameplay.

Top Bottom