• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Dram

Have they said whether they'll be any mention of storylines or characters from the SNES and Genesis games?

DiscoJer

Predefined classes (archetypes) have always been a part of Shadowrun, haven't they? I certainly recall them in the 1st and 2nd editions, which are the only 2 I've read.

There were a bunch of pre-made archetypes, but you basically assigned ratings to 5 different categories - magic, skills, attributes, tech and race, which let you build characters you wanted by buying things you wanted.

Realistically though, if you were in combat, you probably had some cyberware (or smartlink goggles) or were a mage/shaman, or possibly in 1e/2e, a physical adept, while riggers used drones and deckers stayed out of the way.

Have they said whether they'll be any mention of storylines or characters from the SNES and Genesis games?

It's not going to be related to those games even if they were mentioned in the pitch and other comments about the soundtrack. This will very likely be very close to the source rather than the 16-bit console game interpretations, so it'll be quite a bit more piecemeal thanks to a more self-contained but connected set of scenarios across the campaign they're planning instead of one contiguous epic action-adventure through a large world to travel.

Well, don't expect Gibson or Sterling, but virtually all of the Shadowrun novels were decent reads (and amusingly, one novel pretty much was The DaVinci Code before the DaVinci Code). I hope they offer a mobi or epub version instead of a pdf though, so I can read it on my Kindle

Too bad Nigel Findley passed away, he was probably my favorite SR author.

What?!? Findley died? :( I loved his stories. Big influence on my earlier writing. Damn.

Dram

It's not going to be related to those games even if they were mentioned in the pitch and other comments about the soundtrack. This will very likely be very close to the source rather than the 16-bit console game interpretations, so it'll be quite a bit more piecemeal thanks to a more self-contained but connected set of scenarios across the campaign they're planning instead of one contiguous epic action-adventure through a large world to travel.

Thanks.

What?!? Findley died? :( I loved his stories. Big influence on my earlier writing. Damn.

Yeah he died of a heart attack in 1995.

mclem

If it is this way, I'd love to see extra money go toward making the game feel fully-integrated in all of its features and content. Instead of a plain-Jane mission browser, I'd love to see a small 3D Seattle (like the old Ghostbusters game) to travel to these Johnsons for jobs and then to the appropriate predetermined mission site or to a point inside of the mission area for final deployment.

I thought much the same. I don't think they can do menus for between-mission content, it's just a bit too staid. Having some form of 'hub district' would make a lot of sense in making the whole thing feel a lot more cohesive. Little things, like shopping; there's something more personal about walking to the shops than hitting a 'go to shops' button and then picking from a menu.

I hadn't really thought about random encounters in the hub, although it does make sense; and there's nothing actually stopping parts of missions taking place in an instantiated version of the hub, of course.

sankao

Dropped my fifteen bucks. Never been a shadowrun or a tactical RPG fan, but I guess there is a beginning to everything. Hope Hong-Kong gets to be location #2.

Vlodril

Never played the previous games but the a steampunk setting with xcom like battle sounds really good so i backed this. Lets hope it turns out good. Kickstarter is kinda on fire lately.

I thought much the same. I don't think they can do menus for between-mission content, it's just a bit too staid. Having some form of 'hub district' would make a lot of sense in making the whole thing feel a lot more cohesive. Little things, like shopping; there's something more personal about walking to the shops than hitting a 'go to shops' button and then picking from a menu.

I hadn't really thought about random encounters in the hub, although it does make sense; and there's nothing actually stopping parts of missions taking place in an instantiated version of the hub, of course.

It just feels like the best way to roll up a feeling of forward momentum aside from where in the campaign mission chain you are. That is, if you cannot replicate a larger scale world to play in. While the wording of the pitch talks about each mission being handled separately, though connected by being inside of a larger arc, it could be possible to further weave the state of the game map world, like positions of units, syncing time of day and events (even canonical, historical ones) into the separate mission by exposing that game state info through the expected in-game, in-world means, like public broadcasts and interfacing with a terminal and seeing if there are bounties on your head before you exit the mission and reenter the larger space, or giving you info to exit a mission a certain way (incognito, readied for a fight, or bypassed by exiting another way out of the mission). Anyway, the possibilities are endless, but the reality is likely to be simpler and less spectacular.

ranmafan

I just backed this myself. I haven't been too interested in other kickstarter projects as of late, but I couldn't pass up on backing a Shadowrun RPG game. It's good to see projects like this up and running now.

DiscoJer

It just feels like the best way to roll up a feeling of forward momentum aside from where in the campaign mission chain you are. That is, if you cannot replicate a larger scale world to play in. While the wording of the pitch talks about each mission being handled separately, though connected by being inside of a larger arc, it could be possible to further weave the state of the game map world, like positions of units, syncing time of day and events (even canonical, historical ones) into the separate mission by exposing that game state info through the expected in-game, in-world means, like public broadcasts and interfacing with a terminal and seeing if there are bounties on your head before you exit the mission and reenter the larger space, or giving you info to exit a mission a certain way (incognito, readied for a fight, or bypassed by exiting another way out of the mission). Anyway, the possibilities are endless, but the reality is likely to be simpler and less spectacular.

Well, I was thinking what he meant by that was how some of the earlier big adventures worked (well, basically Harlequin and its sequel). You had like 6-7 separate scenarios that formed a larger story, though your players probably didn't realize until the end when everything got wrapped up.

Well, I was thinking what he meant by that was how some of the earlier big adventures worked (well, basically Harlequin and its sequel). You had like 6-7 separate scenarios that formed a larger story, though your players probably didn't realize until the end when everything got wrapped up.

Okay, I hadn't thought of it. That would make for even more interesting interplay between missions since they could all have dynamic critical or non-critical layers of mission design and events whose dependencies are based on prior 'Runs completed and how you handled key parts of those missions. Doubt it's going to be that dynamic, though.

Lime

Even though I have never played or read any Shadowrun material, I just upped my pledge to 115$. The project, the universe and the game design simply excite me so much.

Well, don't expect Gibson or Sterling, but virtually all of the Shadowrun novels were decent reads (and amusingly, one novel pretty much was The DaVinci Code before the DaVinci Code). I hope they offer a mobi or epub version instead of a pdf though, so I can read it on my Kindle

Too bad Nigel Findley passed away, he was probably my favorite SR author.

Nigel was awesome.

Just FYI people, there are Shadowrun Ebooks out there.

Well yeah, duh, it'd be silly to have a single character that can enter the Matrix, control drones and be a great fighter. That's why you create a team and have the other team members fill in the additional roles.

There are balances built into the RPG to prevent that without the need to pigeonhole players into a set role like you find in other RPGs. That said, having a character who has a cheap deck and a little hacking skill to act as backup in case your primary decker gets killed in route to doing his job during a mission is always a good idea since your party, due to the nature of the work, is practically required to be small. I don't think I've ever ran a character who didn't have a datajack installed since they're cheap and require little essence loss. Hopefully the Street Sam/Battle Mage/Decker/Shaman dynamic is just a focus rather than a restraint.

My brother (Shaowebb at NEOGAF) contacted them about an internship. He is just about finished with his schooling and looks to be the Valedictorian.

bengraven

I'll fund this. I promise. Just got a lot on my plate right now. Three kickstarters already funded.

Edit: oh wait, I already did do this. Why the fuck did I come into thread feeling stressed out? I felt horrible for not funding it.

DFEJF.png

scy

I'll fund this. I promise. Just got a lot on my plate right now. Three kickstarters already funded.

Edit: oh wait, I already did do this. Why the fuck did I come into thread feeling stressed out? I felt horrible for not funding it.

DFEJF.png

Maybe ... Maybe I'm missing something?

Aselith

DFEJF.png
You know they don't collect til the end anyways, right?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

DFEJF.png

theres no shadowrun on that list sir dont make me geek you

Durante

Hmm. This slowed down a lot over the past few hours. 1 Million is probably doable, but if the trend keeps up it won't be much beyond that.

mclem

It's taken me a while, but something's been puzzling me about this chart.

The X axis is funding; fine, I accept that. What the heck's the Y axis? If it's "distribution of funding", I'd expect the sum of the blocks to be a straight diagonal line, and it's not.

Gattsu25

Banned

The X axis is funding; fine, I accept that. What the heck's the Y axis? If it's "distribution of funding", I'd expect the sum of the blocks to be a straight diagonal line, and it's not.
Allocation of the budget?

Durante

I read it as the X axis being time. The sum over the Y axis is budget, and the distribution represents its allocation.

It looks that way unless some of us can help spread the word. I know I'm doing my part elsewhere.
I'd have a much easier time convincing the people I know who would be interested in this if they hadn't ditched the Linux version :/

Zeliard

I'd have a much easier time convincing the people I know who would be interested in this if they hadn't ditched the Linux version :/

Yeah I still find that a pretty strange call for them to make. Other Kickstarters have made extra platforms one of their first priorities when they get more money beyond their original goals, and it's smart. Not only is allowing more people to play your game just a cool thing by itself, but for the purposes of getting even more funding, putting it on more platforms just allows you to cast a wider net.

Does it seem to anyone else that this kickstarter is moving slower/has less attention and interest than other big ones like the Double Fine and Wasteland ones?

zkylon

zkylewd
Does it seem to anyone else that this kickstarter is moving slower/has less attention and interest than other big ones like the Double Fine and Wasteland ones?
The other Kickstarters were trailblazers and thus generated much more press. This one is just tagging along and already reached the asked amount, so there's probably no need for too much word of mouth.

Too bad, because they have some of the best videos, certainly better than W2...

It's the third largest gaming Kickstarter I've seen and it's only been up for a few days.

Double Fine Adventure had novelty and Tim Schafer going for it. Wasteland 2 has Brian Fargo and now Chris Avellone and Obsidian backing it. Shadowrun is mostly running off its own name.

Fact is that Chris Avellone is going to do more to spur donations than any video.

Yeah I still find that a pretty strange call for them to make. Other Kickstarters have made extra platforms one of their first priorities when they get more money beyond their original goals, and it's smart. Not only is allowing more people to play your game just a cool thing by itself, but for the purposes of getting even more funding, putting it on more platforms just allows you to cast a wider net.
It sounded like it's just not something they can spend time on, and I think Wasteland 2 didn't promise Linux until 1.5 million anyway.

For Linux folk who are looking for a cause to champion, The Banner Saga could use some love and they just committed to Linux support.

It seems like you are hinting towards a downwards trend, that is not the case, each project is being judged on it's merits and of the people pitching it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You guys :p

(amazing first post on the page!)

Top Bottom